• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4=eyegasm to the max!!!

Newbie said:
The very end scene
with the jetski
was pretty amazing looking aswell

I was going to mention the ending sequence, the water looked so good that for a second I thought it was FMV.

Culex, those shots look great, thanks for posting them, what did you use for capturing?

I would be quite satisfied for a while if games next were like this, with a few tweaks to things like screen resolution/AA, texture resolution/color depth, and perhaps a slightly higher average framerate (or maybe some film-quality motion blur). RE4 would be hands down the best game graphicaly if those three things were fixed 100%.

For once, I WANT Capcom to put out "analog" - "directors cut"- "remixed" - "super" versions of a game, and they don't do it.

I own RE4...And love RE4 to the max. But I saw someone playing the demo of RE4 at Circuit City Friday night...and was blown away by the graphics again. This game, is easily one of the greatest looking games of our day.

Kon Tiki

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I own RE4...And love RE4 to the max. But I saw someone playing the demo of RE4 at Circuit City Friday night...and was blown away by the graphics again. This game, is easily one of the greatest looking games of our day.
It is normal to find games nore visually appealing when you are not playing them.

Culex said:
Here, I snapped some shots for you. That area runs at least 25-30 fps with no slowdown. That's even with the fire distortion effects, too, so I don't know what people are talking about.

LavaRe41.jpg

LavaRe42.jpg

LavaRe43.jpg

LavaRe44.jpg

LavaRe45.jpg

The textures in the fire pit room look really good, too.

Thanks, gotta love it.

mrkgoo

You know, I have not played an adventure-style game that invites you te replay it after you finish as much as Resident Evil4. Other games gives you some unlockables, a harder difficulty, maybe a new suit. But none of that compares to the goodies you get after finishing RE4.
What with being able to start a new round with your suped up character, combined with the already great, fun mechanics, it's simply begging. Not to mention some of the other stuff, mercenaries, Assignement Ada, and so on.
Has anyone finsihed it who HASN'T at least tried another game?

What is the record for number of play throughs?

olimario

Banned
Culex said:
Here, I snapped some shots for you. That area runs at least 25-30 fps with no slowdown. That's even with the fire distortion effects, too, so I don't know what people are talking about.

LavaRe41.jpg

LavaRe42.jpg

LavaRe43.jpg

LavaRe44.jpg

LavaRe45.jpg

Amazing. Simply Stunning.
Do you think you could either take screens or capture a video of that room where Leon meets Saddler and Ashley is taken away? The one with the moonlight pouring in. It's amazing.

123rl

Those screens look awesome (enough to make me want to play it again :lol ) but they just don't convey how amazing it looks in motion. The animation and effects as the whole room lit up with fire totally blew me away every time I saw it. Easily the most impressive thing I've seen in a game in, well, years

dammit I want to play the whole thing now!! So much in this game stood out as "whoa! Did you see that?!" material...the lake, the rain at night, the left path, entering the castle, Mike etc. Just a few of the dozens of stand-out moments, IMO. It was just an amazing game through and through

Probably alone on this but my favourite part of the game was the CG fight against Krauser. It was just so clever and original

mrkgoo

123rl said:
Probably alone on this but my favourite part of the game was the CG fight against Krauser. It was just so clever and original

Yeah, it was great...not TOTALLY original - shenmue had similar type things, but the way it was actually a cutscenes with the story was clever.

Ranger X

mrkgoo said:
You know, I have not played an adventure-style game that invites you te replay it after you finish as much as Resident Evil4. Other games gives you some unlockables, a harder difficulty, maybe a new suit. But none of that compares to the goodies you get after finishing RE4. What with being able to ************ combined withtthe already great, fun mechanics, it's simply begging. Not to mention some of teh otehr stuff, ****************, and so on. Has anyone finsihed it who HASN'T at least tried another game?

What is the record for number of play throughs?

If i would have read your message without having completed the game (like this thread starter)i would have killed you dude. Spoiler tags my friend, spoiler tags.

123rl

I know shenmue did it first. I haven't played all of Shenmue but I didn't think it did it in the way that RE4 did. RE4 is certainly the first game of this type to do it anyway

It was a cutscene that really pushed the story along (so it wasn't any kind of filler ie it's there just to give you a fight). I just loved the atmosphere of it all...great lighting, complex scenery, and these two great knifesman going for the kill.

I really liked the QTEs in the game and this was the best use of them up to that point. Then there was the cool laser sequence that I loved, and then the EXCELLENT Krauser fight which also relied on QTEs.

RE5 must be inevitable now though. Whichever console gets it, gets a purchase from me. Simple as that, IMO...I don't expect as many improvements as RE4 gave, just a polished sequel is all I want

mrkgoo

Wyzdom said:
If i would have read your message without having completed the game (like this thread starter)i would have killed you dude. Spoiler tags my friend, spoiler tags.

Yeah, sorry, dude. Didn't think that knowing that stuff would actually be grounds enough for a grilling though. It's not like you know what the stuff is, or that knowing that you can
play again with your weapons
will really ruin anything, but I guess some people like pleasant surprises. Regardless, apologies.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Yes, RE5 is an instant purchase for me, thanks to RE4.....so impressed with that game...

I don't know about Reggie, but between Metroid Prime and RE4, the Gamecube is kicking my ass and took my name......what is my name again???

mrkgoo

123rl said:
I know shenmue did it first. I haven't played all of Shenmue but I didn't think it did it in the way that RE4 did. RE4 is certainly the first game of this type to do it anyway

It was a cutscene that really pushed the story along (so it wasn't any kind of filler ie it's there just to give you a fight). I just loved the atmosphere of it all...great lighting, complex scenery, and these two great knifesman going for the kill.

I really liked the QTEs in the game and this was the best use of them up to that point. Then there was the cool laser sequence that I loved, and then the EXCELLENT Krauser fight which also relied on QTEs.

RE5 must be inevitable now though. Whichever console gets it, gets a purchase from me. Simple as that, IMO...I don't expect as many improvements as RE4 gave, just a polished sequel is all I want

yeah, I agree- the cutscene was great- just like a movie where the bad guy would kind of monolouge his plan, while in the middle of a fight, lunging every now and again. Great stuff. Just wondering -is it possible to push all four QTE buttons, just to ensure you get the right ones, or does that register as a wrong one and make you fail? The QTEs in Shenmue were probably better, since they actually had a larger variety (RE4 were nearly all just a dodge), and they related to what the button did in a fight (punch, throw, kick etc.). But I may have to go back to shenmue to see

Culex

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I was going to mention the ending sequence, the water looked so good that for a second I thought it was FMV.

Culex, those shots look great, thanks for posting them, what did you use for capturing?

I use a regular old AIW 9800 Pro for capturing. I've found that it's S-Video capturing is the best out of anything (my personal opinion of course).

Ranger X

mrkgoo said:
Yeah, sorry, dude. Didn't think that knowing that stuff would actually be grounds enough for a grilling though. It's not like you know what the stuff is, or that knowing that you can
play again with your weapons
will really ruin anything, but I guess some people like pleasant surprises. Regardless, apologies.

That's ok. I mean, when i really like a game, I want to discover everything in it and not being spoil the tiniest bit of detail. And i know i'm not as picky about this as many posters on this forum so that's why i warned you ;)

Culex

Banned
olimario said:
Amazing. Simply Stunning.
Do you think you could either take screens or capture a video of that room where Leon meets Saddler and Ashley is taken away? The one with the moonlight pouring in. It's amazing.

I'm not sure which room you are talking about. Is it in the castle or afterwards?

123rl said:

Isn't Mikami going to leave Capcom however (along with his team?), or did he leave already? I'm sure I read about that somewhere. What guarantees that another Capcom team will produce a game with the title "Resident Evil 5" on par with Mikami's offering?

Resident Evil 5 will be a Studio 4 game.

So no, it won't be by Mikami.

But at the same time, Mikami is over-rated.

He's directorial work is very one sided:

Alladin (SNES)
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil REMAKE
PN 03
Resident Evil 4

Those are all the games Mikami directed (designed).

As you can see, RE5 DOES NOT need Mikami to be better than RE4. Mikami did a great job with RE4...but then again--how long did it take? How many "retries" and "versions" did it go through. And a previous director build up RE4 to what it was, and Mikami changed it to the version it is now. So you have to wonder, how much of it was even Mikami's idea to begin with?

Hideki Kamiya is a FAR better director/game designer than Mikami. Kamiya has directed/created:

Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Devil May Cry 1 (2001)
Viewtiful Joe 1 (2003)
Okami (current project) and it looks fan-fuckin-tastic. Just by the trailers alone at gametrailers.com you can already see some GoTY nominations ooze through.

Mikami left Capcom Production Studio 4, in favor of Clover Studio, which is also owned by Capcom. It is where Kayima (DMC, RE2) and Inaba (Steel Battallion, VJ) both reside now. From what I hear, much of the talent at PS4 is also at Clover now.

And no, Shinji Mikami did not direct P.N.03. He served as the game's Producer. And no, Mikami is not one bit overrated. One of my favorite game designers out there.

And you have your story about RE4 wrong too Gaiden Is No Longer The Best...Mikami had nothing to do with RE4 until the last iteration, which is the one we now see on shelves. Kobayashi, the game's Producer, asked Mikami to step in and take over, after the previous director, couldn't take the game in a bold enough direction.

Link

The Autumn Wind
What really impresses me about RE4's design the most is that its length is not artificial. Even on successive playthroughs, when you know where to go, how to solve puzzles, knowing how to defeat bosses, and having
your upgraded health and weapons
, the game still takes a good chunk of time to complete.

That fact plus
Mecenaries and Assignment Ada
makes this game have some absolutely awesome replay value. Of course, that wouldn't be worth much if it wasn't so god damn awesome to begin with.

ninja gaiden is no longer da best said:
RE5 DOES NOT need Mikami to be better than RE4.

I was going to add to my previous post that I'm aware of that. I didn't know much about Mikami anyway and that list you posted shows what a short career he had (compared to other industry big guys)... As long as they build on RE4's strengthes and don't go back to bad RE mechanics, then it should make for a great game.

PN 03

When the fuck will people stop quoting Mikami as the director of PN03? For the last time people, Mikami did not direct PN03, so SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT ALREADY. Oh, and can we get ninja gaiden is no longer da best banned? Just so stupid fuckers know we mean business.

I was just looking over the list of unlockables in the game and I have a few questions:

What does "Chicago Typewriter" do?

Anyone have images of what Hunk and Wesker look like?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Naked Snake said:
I was just looking over the list of unlockables in the game and I have a few questions:

Anyone have images of what Hunk and Wesker look like?

The Chicago Typewriter is
a machine gun with infinite bullets.
:D

I don't have any pics of the two characters you are looking for, but if you still can't find any, I'm sure I can capture some pics for you.

BTW, for those of you currently playing the game, after you've beaten it once, playing through the unlockable minigame "Assignment
Ada
." It adds a little more to the ending once you beat it. :)

Sorry, but when Capcom staff even admit that Mikami had a large directorial role in PN 03, who am I supposed to believe.

A star-struck fan of Mikami who's on his nuts that wants me banned because I'n not sucking on Mikami's pair, or the head of translation and PR at Capcom Japan. I think I'll take his word over yours. :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As you can see, RE5 DOES NOT need Mikami to be better than RE4. Mikami did a great job with RE4...but then again--how long did it take? How many "retries" and "versions" did it go through. And a previous director build up RE4 to what it was, and Mikami changed it to the version it is now. So you have to wonder, how much of it was even Mikami's idea to begin with?

...apparently the game was going nowhere when Mikami wasn't involved. He was brought in when the rest of the team couldn't handle it for whatever reasons. It was his idea to change it so radically.

Now you may be right that RE5 doesn't need Mikami to be better than RE4. After all, they have a base to work on and if they can keep things at the least the same and improve where they can, that's enough. You may even be right that he's not that good a director generally...but from everything we've heard, he was vital to RE4's success.

SantaC

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
When the fuck will people stop quoting Mikami as the director of PN03? For the last time people, Mikami did not direct PN03, so SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT ALREADY. Oh, and can we get ninja gaiden is no longer da best banned? Just so stupid fuckers know we mean business.

I 2nd this.

btw, where did CVXFREAK go? :(

Ranger X

I'm going to respect Mikami for the Resident Evil he made because those are actually the only ones i find really good and well done. Can't be a coincidence.
If you like other RE games that's fine but i'll keep my share of doubt against RE5 being good until the day i will play it and yes, only because it's not Mikami.

Apparently, this Gaiden Is No Longer The Best guy gets his info from somewhere else. Because it's a well known fact that Mikami sat in the Producer's role for P.N.03. The concept was his, and that's all.

Resident Evil- All his
Resident Evil 4- All his
Devil May Cry- Concept and design is his

Is that not enought to respect the man? What's it take to get some respect these days? Sheesh.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
Just started disk #2 and am fighting Krauser for the first time in the wherehouse looking environment...

There is NO WAY the Gamecube is producing these graphics...HOOOLLLLEEEE SHYTE!!!!

This game appeals to my inner graphic whore :D

This simply goes to show that when proficient dev. studios take the time to familiarize themselves with the GC's architecture, (thus allowing for exploitaion) allocate the resources & budget, what can be accomplised. I'm not truly surprised by the graphics. How many photorealstic or more aptly semi-realistic games start out with an optimized GC-specific engine?

I think somebody mentioned in this thread that it took them longer to beat the game on Pro than it did on their first playthrough. That seems to be the case for me as well. I just got to
the island
and made it to the first save. My current Pro time is 17 hours and something minutes. I still have saves from my first playthrough, and saw a Normal save for chapter 5-1 clocked at 15 hours and something minutes. I'm not sure what would cause Pro to take two hours longer than Normal (I even left the game running on pause for an hour when I played Normal, so we're actually comparing 14 hours to 17 hours), but I'm not complaining. I'm expecting my final Pro time to be 23 hours.

Pro really does rock. I suggest everybody play it; I may never play Normal again. Some of the battles are much more intense now, with archers sniping where there were none before. Have to use a bit more strategy.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Kobayashi & other key members have also skipped to Clover Studios as well. I wouldn't necessarily count on RE5 being equal, or better than RE4 simply due to advanced visuals, lighting, etc.

Mikami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crater-face Itagaki
God of War >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ninja gaiden but to be fair GoW beats many games hands down. Will have to keep an eye on that Sony game division.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Dude, Aladdin is a great game you must be on crack. The only questionable work there is PN03 and that game is a culty hit even if it isn't critically acclaimed. Mikami's work on RE1,Remake and 4 alone are enough to solidify his mark as one of the best directors in the buisness today. Kamiya is great too and imo has never directed a questionable game. The perfect sequel to RE4 would be Mikami Producing Kamiya directing but only if Mikami doesn't want to direct again. I would say that 70% of the reason why RE4 is such a great game is because of the elements dictated by the director and producer. Its obvious because the team didn't know which way to go until Mikami stepped in. If anything Mikami is underated and hardly anyone knew who he was until they made the exclusivity deal with Nintendo.

nightez

Banned
Resident Evil 4 is over produced, they really didnt to go that far. Playing the game you can see why it took so many years to make, I keep trying to figure out how they put all together. Its obvious they was a huge & error process getting the game to what it is now. The amount of effort put into into every set-piece is staggering. I just wonder how are they ever going to top it. Mikami finally has his masterpiece

Ristamar

Wyzdom said:
My only grip though is that the
2 major bosses were too easy. One rocket for the kid and 2 rockets for Saddler...

That's your own damn fault for using
the rocket launcher!
What, did you expect it to take
15 rocket shots? Sure, that'd only cost 450,000...

Duckhuntdog said:
God of War >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ninja gaiden but to be fair GoW beats many games hands down. Will have to keep an eye on that Sony game division.

Nope, sorry try again. In terms of mechanics and depth both NG and DMC3 are far beyond God of War. God of War is good, but if you're going to try and compare it to Ninja Gaiden, it falls flat in almost every area that you can compare the two in.

nightez

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Resident Evil couldn't have been as good as it is without the retries or within a shorter length of time. Let me remind you, Miyamoto when making Ocarina of Time made several different internally games before arriving to the final product. Thats what it takes to make a truly great game (trial and error), like RE4 they internally developed two or three scrapped sequels. In short all you have to do is compare RE4 to every other game out there, you'll have a hard time finding something that matches the production values.

C- Warrior said:

Alladin (SNES)
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil REMAKE
PN 03
Resident Evil 4

Those are all the games Mikami directed (designed).
Those are all good games, all very fun.

Leatherface

Culex said:

LavaRe41.jpg

LavaRe42.jpg

LavaRe43.jpg

LavaRe44.jpg

LavaRe45.jpg

Once I seen this area I almost cried it didn't last much longer. That section definately got the short end of the stick when it comes to lasting. =_(

Amazing visuals in there!

miyuru

Leatherface said:
Once I seen this area I almost cried it didn't last much longer. That section definately got the short end of the stick when it comes to lasting. =_(

Amazing visuals in there!

Then again, keeping the game fresh was essential. I'm glad they didn't abuse those great lava pit rooms
(that one and the fight with the two El Gigantes)
. It's like the same thing with the QTEs, they were somewhat uncommon but kept the game very fresh. I mean I'd forget about them to the point where a cutscene would start playing and I'd lay back and watch it, with the controller on the coffee table :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
miyuru said:
Then again, keeping the game fresh was essential. I'm glad they didn't abuse those great lava pit rooms
(that one and the fight with the two El Gigantes)
. It's like the same thing with the QTEs, they were somewhat uncommon but kept the game very fresh. I mean I'd forget about them to the point where a cutscene would start playing and I'd lay back and watch it, with the controller on the coffee table :lol
Same here. I'm amazed that all the QTEs caught me offguard throughout the whole game. You'd think after 20 hours, I'd be prepared, but nope. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Apparently, this Gaiden Is No Longer The Best guy gets his info from somewhere else. Because it's a well known fact that Mikami sat in the Producer's role for P.N.03. The concept was his, and that's all.

Resident Evil- All his
Resident Evil 4- All his
Devil May Cry- Concept and design is his

Is that not enought to respect the man? What's it take to get some respect these days? Sheesh.

Devil May Cry was basically a Kamiya game.

Also RE2 >>>> RE1 in everything except Atmosphere.

So yea, Mikami is a good director (RE1/RE4), but Kamiya > Mikami. If RE5 was Kamiya, It would be very cool. But Kamiya is not a fan of doing the same thing twice, so who knows.

Naked Snake said:

Chicago Typewriter is a machine gun, that unfortunately does not resemble the tommy guns used by the Chicago gangs in the 30's with the round ammo drum, but dole out 10 pts damage per round, does not need spool up time to shoot and can aim anywhere unlike the chain gun in RE3, shoots like 3 rounds per second, and has infinite bullets so you'll never have to reload. If you beat Ada's mission sub game and you beat the main game at least once and you'll get to buy the gun for like 500,000 credits.

If you want to enjoy the game, DO NOT GET THIS STUPID GUN! The game is like no fun with this damn thing. It's ha ha funny for the first couple of chapter, but it's gets too boring aftwerwards when everything falls so easily to this thing.

Only "softcocks" someone else mentioned in this thread will enjoy this gun.

Top Bottom