• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake, initially announced for next-gen only, will also come to PS4

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Right! I'm tired of the PS4 generation now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There’s nothing wrong with the words in your post. I’m just basing this off your history of searching for any slightly positive Xbox post to put in a laugh emoji (even in Xbox only threads).

If you’re turning a new leaf, then great. I’ll take your posts more seriously.
I don't think you understand the magnitude of the post you're relying to. This is Ezekiel. This man posts every once in a blue moon. This is a major moment jn gaf history. Screenshot that post for it is a part of history.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

KellyM

if it runs on PS4 it can also run on Xbox One.

these console use almost the same hardware, and turning down graphics is the easiest thing to do in a modern engine.

in fact, the Xbox One has a faster CPU than the PS4, which is way more of a factor in porting games than the slightly slower GPU.

the only situation in which it would be on the edge of not doable would be if it turns out that the PS4 version rund at 720p30fps, which I doubt it will.

the Xbox One can run anything the PS4 can run at 30% to 40% lower resolution with minimal to no other changes needed.

finally, it runs on RE Engine... which is already an engine that runs perfectly fine on Xbox One
They couldn't get it running on Xbox series S because of the ram. They could get it running on Xbox one x because it had more ram then PS4. Xbox series s has 6 ram and ps4 has 8 and xbox one x has 12 ram, Since they couldn't get it running on both xbox one s and Xbox one X,,they skipped making a last gen version for Xbox one.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Releasing games on last generation is a political stunt to make sure they get every penny.

Banned
Yes, but 1.2 Tflops to 1.84 Tflops is a bit steep (Base PS4 basically has 1/3 of extra performance), I can understand Xbox One falling off the wagon as it would be a consistently worse version. But then again, the One X wouldn't.

1/3 more performance is basically the difference between 1080p and 900p tho.

1/3 difference sounds crazy at first, but in action it really isn't that much of an issue.

But the real reason is down to active userbase I feel.

that is absolutely the reason. and especially the japanese userbase

JackMcGunns

@SlimySnake

You will never escape crossgen.

Yea, it's all because of the Series S.

S

S

Sshh

/S

jk, Funny how at the beginning everyone was complaining that Microsoft supporting Xbox One would cause next-gen games to suffer, then when they discontinued XBO and ramped up production of Series S, it was then shifted to the Series S holding back. Ironically as Microsoft increased the Series S production as a strategy to counter shortages, Sony having no alternative entry like the S, instead ramped up production of PS4's, so now it only makes sense to support it longer holding next gen back. Pretty cool, right?

Last edited:
Guys the game will probably be running at 60fps on next gen, at dynamic 4k, or something like 1620p+. The current gen machines struggle running some last gen games at dynamic 4k/60 anyway.
This isnt really going to be a problem.
Honestly people need to get out of this idea that games are suddenly going to look like AVATAR when cross gen ends, because they wont.
Keep telling yourself that. The sooner it's left behind the sooner devs will start optimizing/using next gen engines designed to actually take advantage of these consoles.

There will be a big jump for most games just like every other generation. Maybe not every single game will have a massive jump but on average, games will be clearly much more impressive. Think along the lines of AC:Black Flag to AC Origins or even AC Unity. Black Flag was a last gen game at the time that was optimized for next gen.

JackMcGunns

You said it, not me.

You missed the last s with the /s for sarcasm lol

Remember when old Jimbo lied about Sony moving to PS5 only games? Capitalizing on MS' announcement that it will continue to support Xbox One with games like Halo Infinite? "Boo MS, Sony is making all the right moves! Damn MS keeping us stuck in last-gen" (Brute Gif as signature). Now I'm not that person who doesn't believe in scalability, just pointing out the hypocrisy that goes around and making a little joke :p

Last edited:
Oh of course, I'm only looking at this from my selfish perspective of a Series X and PS5 owner who wants to see my purchases promises take effect already.

It's good of course from a consumer stand point that more people can play these titles, especially with Sony stupidly raising prices in the middle of a cost of living crisis.
It's not selfish to expect next gen games after dropping $1200 on next gen hardware. Those people "stuck" on ps4/pro will eventually be upgrading and they'll get their chance to play these games and MUCH improved versions of these games when they get their ps5/series x! It's not pro consumer nor is it unreasonable to expect that last gen gets left behind after 2 years, which is what's happened in every generation prior. It's anti consumer for Sony and MS to spend so much effort hyping up their new powerful systems only to do a bait and switch and not actually take advantage of the very features they were hyping.

I'm fine with this. It would be really nice but cross gen games however many caveats have some benefits too: the game will run a 4K native or similar probably. So for now it's PS5 IQ with "last gen" fidelity

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
From a technical aspect I'm interested on why they ditched the xbone version? The X1 is similar to the ps4, you lower the res to 800-900p and you get similar results to the ps4. I wonder if the ps4 version runs at like 540p, so the X1 version would be to compromised maybe.
Even if x1 is not sold by ms anymore there is still a decent installbase for it, so I doubt there is no x1 version because of business reasons.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I do not have a problem with Resident Evil 4 also coming to the PS4.

I honestly do not think we are going to see many games that can *only* run on the new hardware until well into this generation and then they will be few and limited mostly to console exclusives. Most multiformat games will continue to just be cross-gen games that only differ from the previous gen in terms of resolution, framerate and asset/texture quality. There's a good reason for that and it comes down to development costs.
Im sure we will be seeing cross gen for a good time but come on, eventually Series S, Series X, PC and PS5 will become the new standard, Series S is already replacing Xbox ONE here,some games like Gotham Knights cancelled their last gen version, when Switch 2 arrives there will be more complaining of 'cross gen' games but even then its not gonna be all, but a minority of titles.

Its not that dire guys, you will get your current gen games!

Last edited:
Maybe, but I doubt it would be much more powerful. Certainly not more than a PS4 Pro.

Then again, who knows when it will actually even come out, it might be so far in the future that my theory wouldn't even be relevant anymore.
I disagree I think it will be at least a ps4 pro when docked (and one xevels wouldn’t shock me) with a significantly better cpu than any of them (would be incredible if they got something close to the series s cpu when docked)

Stuart360

Sadly there's not much of a reason to own a ps5 this early ! I don't think they will let the Ps4 die out soon!
Depends how you look at it. On PS5 you're playing the same games at higher resolution, framerate, faster load times, and often higher graphic settings. I mean its like saying no point buying a high end gpu because i can play the same games on a 750ti.

Last edited:
Is there drama?
This is the most Phill Spencer move:

More option for gamers, play where you want, cheaper and no one is let behind.

Depends how you look at it. On PS5 you're playing the same games at higher resolution, framerate, and often graphic settings. I mean its like saying no point buying a high end gpu because i can play the same games on my 750ti.
True! But most people buy a new console to play games exclusive to that system , at least that's how i think , it's like saying going from the NES generation to the SNES generation ..i want to play new exclusive games for the SNES !

Guys the game will probably be running at 60fps on next gen, at dynamic 4k, or something like 1620p+. The current gen machines struggle running some last gen games at dynamic 4k/60 anyway.
This isnt really going to be a problem.
Honestly people need to get out of this idea that games are suddenly going to look like AVATAR when cross gen ends, because they wont.
Not entirely true…The Matrix Awakens is a preview…

Crayon

True! But most people buy a new console to play games exclusive to that system , at least that's how i think , it's like saying going from the NES generation to the SNES generation ..i want to play new exclusive games for the SNES !

That's starting to change. I still think comparative game library is one of the most important things, but I used to think it was everything. ms did really well last gen basically without games. The focused on the platform and for the most part it worked. You can also look at steam. Valve could put a lot more resources in to making games, but instead they go hard on improving the platform and it's one of the biggest success stories in gaming. The comparative total library doesn't seem to be as dominant a factor as it used to be.

That's starting to change. I still think comparative game library is one of the most important things, but I used to think it was everything. ms did really well last gen basically without games. The focused on the platform and for the most part it worked. You can also look at steam. Valve could put a lot more resources in to making games, but instead they go hard on improving the platform and it's one of the biggest success stories in gaming. The comparative total library doesn't seem to be as dominant a factor as it used to be.
Maybe ! But most people that i know won't rush to go and buy a ps5 cause they can already play 95% of the games on the ps4 ! Most people i know won't care if the game can push resolution to 4k and play at 60fps! So when people ask me if they should upgrade now i tell them there's actually 3 exclusive games for ps5 and they get turned off ! I have a Ps5 i love it because i love having options of resolution and fps !

Crayon

Maybe ! But most people that i know won't rush to go and buy a ps5 cause they can already play 95% of the games on the ps4 ! Most people i know won't care if the game can push resolution to 4k and play at 60fps! So when people ask me if they should upgrade now i tell them there's actually 3 exclusive games for ps5 and they get turned off ! I have a Ps5 i love it because i love having options of resolution and fps !

You're right. I stil think it's the most important factor. And it will always be up there. But If I rewind many years, it was like the only thing that mattered. Now there are ways to make up for it. I reccomend to my friends with ps4's to hold off on ps5 (unless they use their ps4 a ton). But look at the thing sell out for 2 years straight... it's crazy to think there are all of 10 games you need a ps5 for.

Fbh

From a technical aspect I'm interested on why they ditched the xbone version? The X1 is similar to the ps4, you lower the res to 800-900p and you get similar results to the ps4. I wonder if the ps4 version runs at like 540p, so the X1 version would be to compromised maybe.
Even if x1 is not sold by ms anymore there is still a decent installbase for it, so I doubt there is no x1 version because of business reasons.

Maybe there's no technical reason.
They might just have data showing that their games are still being bought and played on Ps4 by a considerable number of people while most of the Xbox users are in the "series" consoles.

Maybe the cost of porting and testing the game on Xbox One just isn't worth it

People always assume next gen games can only run on next gen hardware but that's not always the case. Sometimes next gen games are just next gen because eventually the core audiences moves on and it no longer makes financial sense to release versions for the older consoles.

MGSV, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Evil Within, Destiny, etc all ran on Ps4. IMO it's safe to assume many Ps4 games would have probably ran on Ps3 with enough graphical cutbacks. They just didn't get a port because at that point not enough people were buying games on Ps3 as the bulk of the audience had moved on to ps4

You're right. I stil think it's the most important factor. And it will always be up there. But If I rewind many years, it was like the only thing that mattered. Now there are ways to make up for it. I reccomend to my friends with ps4's to hold off on ps5 (unless they use their ps4 a ton). But look at the thing sell out for 2 years straight... it's crazy to think there are all of 10 games you need a ps5 for.
Most people will follow the trend wave , probably why it's selling out so quickly!

Crayon

Most people will follow the trend wave , probably why it's selling out so quickly!

There is definitely a wave of hype around ps5 the likes of which I have not seen for a minute. I think it was largely because ps4 killed. PS2 was like that. There really wasn't much going on for the first year but they were stil flying off the shelves.

Sosokrates

They might just have data showing that their games are still being bought and played on Ps4 by a considerable number of people while most of the Xbox users are in the "series" consoles.

People always assume next gen games can only run on next gen hardware but that's not always the case. Sometimes next gen games are just next gen because eventually the core audiences moves on and it no longer makes financial sense to release versions for the older consoles.

MGSV, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Evil Within, Destiny, etc all ran on Ps4. IMO it's safe to assume many Ps4 games would have probably ran on Ps3 with enough graphical cutbacks. They just didn't get a port because at that point not enough people were buying games on Ps3 as the bulk of the audience had moved on to ps4
Well the evidence we jave does not suggest this.
Xbox one sold 50million. Even if 1% of the installbase purchased REmake4 on xbox one it would probably be worth the port. Xbox one Xs still sell well on the 2nd hand market and a large majority of gamers are still on last gen machines.
You could be correct theres just no information that suggests this.

Ozzie666

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Consoles becoming more PC like in architecture running X86 and then toss in the pandemic and supply chain issues. I think this was always going to happen for sale, either way. The era of the clean break is most likely over forever and X86 is here to stay. It's disappointing or sure, but those previous install bases are too good to give up. Consoles are PC's now.

There also must be a market around the world for last generation. Not everyone is as fortunate as USA, Europe and Japan, can afford next gen or can even find them available.

Last edited:
There is definitely a wave of hype around ps5 the likes of which I have not seen for a minute. I think it was largely because ps4 killed. PS2 was like that. There really wasn't much going on for the first year but they were stil flying off the shelves.
Exactly ! Me and millions of Ps5 owners sure can't wait to see what the ps5 can really do! I see sony side of things , no point to kill off the ps4 , i still think they could of waited a year or 2 to realease the ps5 !

Sosokrates

Its hype passed down from the PS4 market imo, the PS5 has made a lot of the right moves and is definitely a great product, I know, I have one and use it everyday but compared to other systems the hype is less.
Sonys marketing and there fanbase is what is causing strong demand imo. Sony have always been good at marketing since the very beginning, they implemented a lot of the same marketing strategies that work well for them for there music products like the walkman.
We dont know how much higher demand is for the PS5 compared to the PS4 because of stock issues I think it will be largly the same as the PS4 but with a small fall off due to losing key franchines to other platforms and services (zenimax games going xbox and gamepass and cod possibly going to gamepass)

Last edited:

DavidGzz

People have an issue with calling current gen next gen but that what it is to most people and developers lol. We essentially got a second Pro model of the same console for the first 3 years. Maybe 4. It will be a 15 year gen by the time most games are "current" gen.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This 40000x

Resident Evil sells less on XB, they have little reason to waste the money to port to XONE, it makes sense to just have a PS4 version as the already know the Series X will be enough for that active base.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, I think people hear some of us fussing about cross gen and think it equates to us all being ADHD squirrels, but it affects more than visuals. It affects performance, it affects game design (smaller levels, or more zones, more loading, lots of those "squeeze through gap so we can load the rest of the area without going to a black screen," less populated cities, less verticality in levels, I mean...yeah, the differences aren't SO huge that I'm trashing my PS4, but I mean, crossgen means compromise so that both demographics get as close to a consistent experience as one another. So like...why not just stick with the PS4 if all we're getting is PS4 games?
Precisely, everyone who tries to put down those upset about cross gen immediately jumps to just graphics and performance while ignoring the things you listed, things that should be possible this generation but devs haven't been able to do because they need to design for toasters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Makes more sense. Was weird they were doing PS4 and not the bone

Yes. For once I agree with you. In that event they only talked about PS consoles for all the multiplat games, likely it was a sponsored event. Makes sense they didn't announce the XBO SKU there.

There is a RE showcase in October. If this is real, it gets confirmed and pre orders go live there.

And if there's a delay, that will get announced there as well.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yes. For once I agree with you. In that event they only talked about PS consoles for all the multiplat games, likely it was a sponsored event. Makes sense they didn't announce the XBO SKU there.

There is a RE showcase in October. If this is real, it gets confirmed and pre orders go live there.

And if there's a delay, that will get announced there as well.

True, could merely be that.

I thought it was one of those situations like The Crew only having a 360 version or FFXIII only having a PS3 version in Japan or something lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom