• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Early Prototype and Beta Trailers [Beta and Cut Content]

Replayed through RE5 again recently. Held it in high regard for years... Visually to this day it's still a good looking game but fuck me is it full of dated mechanics. Cover shooter elements and turret sections aren't good. Also killing Wesker was a massive mistake for plot investment. It's just co-op RE4, in some ways it is better, but in others it's worse.

I remember lurking GAF in 2009 when it was coming out. Good times.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Looking back I remember the game being disappointment compared to RE4 but simultaneously a great game that I replayed like 10 times.

WTF.

rofif

Banned
Replayed it in local coop last year. Really a lot of coop fun. Better than 6 for sure which we also played coop afterwards (also fun).
Chris punching boulders inside active volcano is a pinnacle of stupidity and I love it

Eimran

Replayed that game a lot. It was far inferior to RE4 but the co-op made the game great.

Still remember the whole racism-controversy BS. That's about the moment SJW-crowd started infecting the game industry.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
RE5 was a great game but o remember my disappointment that they scrapped the merchant for a lame ass UI.

It gets a lot of flack, but it’s very good.

RE6 on the other hand...

Fushitsusha

Banned
Looking back I remember the game being disappointment compared to RE4 but simultaneously a great game that I replayed like 10 times.
The gameplay and scenarios were great fun, couch co-op with different weapon runs and stuff. Very cinematic as a whole but with arcade-like gameplay. It certainly impressed me at release (not only graphically), I don't get the hate for this and love for RE4, they're not drastically different to warrant such response.

Like Zero and REmake, they're even more similar to each other yet one gets critisized heavily just because it's less good, therefore bad. If Zero came out today more would praise it as a return to form.

Last edited:
I've just never been able to get into it.

I've tried it twice, the first time I got the farthest and I wish I had just stuck with it to the end, but I didn't and the second time I tried it I didn't get very far into it at all before I got bored.

For me the biggest issue is the environments just feel so un-Resident Evil like, when I think what the general theme of RE's aesthetic is I would describe it as "gothic", pretty far from 5's Black Hawk Down vibe.

Verdanth

Replayed that game a lot. It was far inferior to RE4 but the co-op made the game great.

Still remember the whole racism-controversy BS. That's about the moment SJW-crowd started infecting the game industry.

Same here. It ended up being one of my favourite RE games because of coop. Me and a friend of mine had a blast playing through all the games difficulty levels.

Fushitsusha

Banned
For me the biggest issue is the environments just feel so un-Resident Evil like, when I think what the general theme of RE's aesthetic is I would describe it as "gothic", pretty far from 5's Black Hawk Down vibe.
It was refreshing, particularly for RE. But yeah, they could probably have experimented more with the environments like in the early versions.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Just checked the video. Absolutely none of this is new. It's just old official trailers with previously released concept art.

Pointless.

Kokoloko85

Play this game as a coop shooter and it becomes better than Gears lol. Playing it 2 player I enjoyed it loads.

As a Resident Evil Game, I blame Resident Evil 4 and all the praise it got for Resident Evil 5’s faults. 4 was also an action game, and the last quarter set the tone for Resident Evil 5. Shame on you who praised 4 as Resident Evil game lol

DonF

RE 5 was a disappointment only because it was just more of the same with a fresh coat of paint.

All Capcom did was introduce a new setting, HD graphics and co op. I wouldn't call it a bad game, just a pretty iterative one.

It was hard to follow 4, but 5 did and I actually enjoyed it at the time.

Sybb

Banned
No, but it does show the crowds of people who were largely black before people complained and had them diversified
I remember this, LOL. I also remember the producer saying it's not weird that you shoot black people because the game takes place in Africa. This was one of the early SJW moments.

That being said, I really like the Switch version of the game due to motion aiming. That alone makes it the best version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember getting this back on launch and getting one of those still cells as a preorder bonus. It was a lot of fun. G4’s Xplay gave it a low score. I remember the day I went out at midnight. Watching their review and it was very low. That’s when I had to ignore the negativity surrounding it and just enjoy it.

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t RE4, but it wasn’t awful. It had some wonky parts like the ruins and the ending was a bit crazy. The beta footage is interesting? Can’t touch RE4’s early beta, which was basically a whole different game. I don’t hate Re5. I started playing it again last year. It was hard coming off of RE4.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I remember being so fucking hyped, until I saw Sheeva. And I was like, "co-op? Are you fucking kidding me!?"

Really impressed with the visuals back then, though. And they still are quite nice even today.

Moses85

No, but it does show the crowds of people who were largely black before people complained and had them diversified

yes, it is / was absolutely unusual, that mainly black people are living in Africa.
It made absolutely sense, to implement asian and Europeans into the game.

Haven’t had heard that any white guy complained about the fact, that in most of the videogames white people will be killed.

Last edited:

H4ze

Cool, thx for sharing, will watch after work.

I always liked RE5 and I also like RE6, despite all the flak it gets. I just take them for what they are, action games with settings I like, had a lot of fun with both, fight me.

Top Bottom