• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - All We Know So Far Analysis & Puzzle Piecing

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I made this as a series of posts in the new RE7 Lantern trailer topic, but some encourage I make this it's own topic, so here we are. Here comes a bit of a copy and paste.

Resident Evil 7 is following the events of Resident Evil 6 a few years later, taking place primaringly on a plantation in Dulvey, Louisiana (a fictional town). In the town, there are urban legends about the Dulvey Haunted House, an abandoned plantation with reported ghost sightings, as reported by the The Dulvey Daily newspaper. Over the years, multiple people have gone to the house for whatever reason, and gone missing. Among the residents of the plantation house (which seems to have been there since the 1700s, according to the newspaper), they eventually cut off all contact with the outside world. Jack and Marguerite Baker were two people who owned the house, and it seems Marguerite Baker is the person we see holding the lantern in this trailer, and Jack is the 'Family Man' we saw in the teaser demo, they're husband and wife.

The character we play as seems to come to this location deliberately, though for an unknown reason, but he clearly drives to this location to investigate something. There also seems to be a girl named Mia that we follow the exploits of through videos she left behind (who seems to want to tell a man named Ethan something, whether we're Ethan or its someone else is not known), as well as others. Mia is said to be 'mysterious' and is kidnapped by Marguerite Baker, but the reason they're kidnapping people is currently a mystery (they also seem to abduct the people who are recording a ghosthunter TV show, and the character who we play as in the demo (who is confirmed not to be the same character we play as in the main game). It has been confirmed the character we play as isn't a character we've met before, but it was teased the character may have something to do with the series history, but don't want to talk about the character or their 'motives' yet.

Though the game takes place in a plantation, it has been confirmed there's multiple locations in the game. So far we have seen the plantation, a forest, a factory, and a highway/city in these trailers, though many outside of the plantation only briefly. So far for gameplay, we have seen the following styles, but mostly briefly:

-The one that's been most shown off is exploration/hide'n'seek horror, HOWEVER.
-We have also seen gunplay in the original E3 reveal briefly when we see the player facing a zombie-like enemy and shooting at them. In the key art for the game which is said to have a lot of clues, we also see a shotgun, grenade launcher, knife, axe, pitchfork, and sickle.
-There is an axe in the demo for melee play, have a regular swing, charge up powerful swing, and a block move is notable.
-We also see in the E3 trailer a segment where we're driving a car as it seems some flying enemies are attacking and breaking the windshield and we're avoiding incoming hectic traffic.

The Key Art:
shirt.jpg

The game is also shown to have a big element of 'past and present'. Through the game we play through 'found footage' segments where we play as someone else in the past, and can make changes to the future based on things we do in the video tapes (and it might be more than just video tapes we experience these segments in). We have seen two of these so far, the 'Sewer Gator' crew in the Beginning Hour Teaser, and the 'Mia' tape in the newest trailer. In the Teaser Demo, you could do something in the tape by finding a lockpick and unlocking a drawer that unlocked it in the current time (which got you the axe in the current time), and could replay video tapes and stop them at any time.

This element seems it'll play out into the full game. Here's a couple of quotes to lead into what I mean:
In the final game, there are many gimmicks or design choices that play on the player's desire to try to collect everything. Perhaps there's a carrot that's just out of reach, like an item that there is a way to get but maybe they don't get it the first time.

There's also story elements, narrative elements, where they constantly keep the player guessing about what's happening. And perhaps if you play it a certain way you might not find the answer the first time. I feel that these also facilitate replayability.

Question: Players who decide to replay the game will still be able to relive the horror as well as find new parts they previously never ran into in their first play through, correct?

Nakanishi: We wanted people to think "So.. where do I use this thing?" among other things that cleverly puzzle the player.

Kawada: There will be some gimmicks that people may not even run into at all. You may have a friend or partner etc who will notice something and say something like "Wait... what was that?...". We wanted a preview of the sensation that you will be able to experience in the main game when it releases.

Basically, there seems to be hidden secrets/items/uses for items, and it's implied the game may have multiple endings and more story revealed by partaking in certain things. The demo demonstrates this a couple times too, and this Lantern trailer showed it off a bit as well. There's a room with a projector in it with a pedestal where you can clearly place something inside of it:

As well as you can see an area where you may backtrack to in order to get a pulley or something to access a shed in the Lantern demo, and the areas seem to be more open with multiple pathways for you to explore.

It has been confirmed that RE7 has inventory management, and that there is combat but limited ammo. They have said the game won't be hide'n'seek horror where you cannot defend yourself, and that you'll have the methods to take out your threats, and we know both guns and melee weapons exist. However, you can only carry a limited amount of supplies between tools, weapons, healing items, puzzle items, and more. It has also been hinted at in interviews the creators may have other methods to take out enemies rather than just gunplay, they deliberately said in an early interview about paying attention to the environment and using 'other items' to tackle foes, but said talking more about that right now may be saying too much.

There are other characters in the game outside of our main character, one of whom we see briefly in the original reveal of the trailer is a cop:
71ad98d24f701c3277a4beec5b673aa7.png

You also seem to maybe play as him, or at least someone of African descent as in the E3 reveal trailer, we see one of the (assumed) VHS segments, but the character's hands we're playing as is definitely black, which might imply a segment where we play as him most likely in a found footage section.

However, speaking characters, it seems next to confirmed that this cop is going to turn into a monster. There is a scene with a monster with a very similar build of the cop running towards the player while slanting around. Other enemies seen in the initial reveal include some enemy on fire who seems to be shaking Jacob's Ladder styled.

At the heart of the game, there also seems to be some woman/girl.

Go Tell Aunt Rhody Trailer Song

Song lyrics:
Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody that everybody's dead
I was raised in a deep dark hole
A prisoner with no parole
They locked me up and took my soul
(shame at what they made...)
Call to Him, and he will come
To answer him like he's the one
His arms outstretch, but when she's done
He'll be torn apart
Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody... Go tell Aunt Rhody that everybody's... Everbody's... Everbody's... Dead

Notably, in the key art I posted in the last message there is a woman's face underground along with a fetus ("I was raised in a deep dark hole"), There is also a ghost-like entity seen in the Beginning Hour briefly at a few different points, but it's been confirmed there's no ghosts, so it is likely a B.O.W. of some sort.

resident-evil-7-ghost-7.jpg
resident-evil-7-ghost-girl-692x389.jpg.optimal.jpg
l32fgpd7mwzhdhrwcban.jpg

RE7 has said the game will have more personalized enemies, and it certainly seems to be based around the Baker Plantation, who cut off communication with the world years ago (I theorized this months ago, but it was confirmed in the newest press release). I think they went into hiding from Umbrella, as they seem to be conducting some type of B.O.W. research, and it's my guess why they've been abducting people. The BSAA and other people haven't looked into it since it's just 'local ghost stories' going on, but the Baker family and residents of it have been brewing a nightmare that is about to lead into an outbreak with a previously unknown virus-strain with different effects than we've seen, which has been confused and associated with ghosts. This is also benefited from the Beginning Hour Teaser demo, where there's a picture of an Umbrella Helicoptor, and someone has written in paranoia, "are they watching from above?". I think the plantation has been doing their own biological research for some reason, and gone into hiding so Umbrella won't take them out or steal their research (as Umbrella is known to do in the series, as they have done and backstabbed various people they worked with, from George Trevor, to William Birkin, etc.), but due to isolation don't realize that Umbrella is dead.

I also think that one of the monsters, likely the Baker's daughter, is a B.O.W. and is after vengeance (which ties into the Aunt Rhody song they chose for the trailer, about being raised in a deep dark hole, a prisoner with no parole, and they took her soul.).

Now, this leads to the overall question of what can we pull from what we know of RE7. This is not a complete outlook, just what can be pulled from everything so far.

This is the following I do think the game has from everything presented, and the sort of 'flow' we may expect from the game:

-We star as some 'regular joe' person who has to take up the task of living up to a nightmarish scenario he finds himself in. He has an inventory with limited item space (though based on the demo it does seem that inventory space can be upgraded and uses a grid-like system ala Resident Evil 4), and we know that he can fight back against his threats, which Capcom has reinforced multiple times. We also have seen a brief segment of him shooting off a handgun, you can get a fire axe in the demo that can attack, heavy attack, and block, and in the key art of the game you can make out a handgun, a shotgun, a grenade launcher, a knife, an axe, a sickle, and a pitchfork. We also know that puzzle items go into the inventory from the demo, and the game has healing items in herbs.

-It seems part of the game is the classic Resident Evil 'find an item and figure out what the hell it's for.' They have said that it is possible to beat the game without discovering what every item is for, certain items may be dangled like a carrot you cannot get at first (which implies back-tracking does exist), and have hinted that the game will present multiple mysteries to the player, but by, "playing it a certain way, you may not get the answers in your first run," which basically confirms the game has multiple endings, and due to how the demo presented hidden things and they teased this will also be in the final game, seems it might imply there's optional areas, items, and the like you can discover, and say they want people to talk about the game with friends and find out their friend or themselves did something the other person never even found, or experienced in their run in the game, and hope this encourages replayability.

-Outside of combat and hide'n'seek, they have said that they want threats to be tackable, and said in an early interview to pay attention to the environment and that other items can be used to take care of foes, but said they don't want to say too much.

-The enemies are supposed to be more 'personal', they have said this won't be a game about hordes of enemies, but stronger more intimidating foes, and for there to be multiple ways to tackle each scene, and that both fighting them is possible, but sometimes running may be for the best. The enemies we've seen so far seem to be the residents and possible abductees of the Baker Plantation, the main setting of the game. They don't seem to be mindless monsters as they seem to have the ability of speech, though also are shown not to be human. One thing of note is that one theme in a lot of the trailers is 'growth', and in the E3 reveal you can even see some weird plant growing over a room. My guess is that the plantation has some type of viral B.O.W. plant that is growing out of control, which ties into the plantation theme as well and explains all the weird fleshy roots that can be seen in most of the trailers (and in the initial reveal, there's someone who is in a room full of what looks like moving roots).

-Though the Baker Plantation is the game's focal point, it has been shown that a forest, a factory, and a city are other locations in the game, which does imply that while we start in the plantation, an outbreak to the nearby areas may occur during the course of the game (which also would explain why they made a fictional Louisiana town rather than just being somewhere in outback southern USA, since the town itself will play a role). There's some low-quality screens of the factory/city location, but some of these locations ( the plantation, forest, factory, and underground) are also shown in the key art for the game which Capcom hints has a 'lot of clues for the game'.

-VHS segments and other methods of 'playing the past' are in the game, seems these can effect the present in some way from the demo and hints by the developers, and play a big role in RE7. These segments are fully playable, and so far it seems for certain we know two and one is heavily hinted (the Sewer Gator TV crew in the Beginning Hour demo, Mia seems to play a role in the story as a 'mysterious girl' we follow the plight of through recordings she left behind, and it seems you may play as the cop character I mentioned in the previous post in some form, probably through a found footage section). They seem to allow us to play as other characters in different times, and doing some stuff in them effects the present as well. From the demo, you can replay these segments as many times as you like and can stop them in the middle to go back to the main game, so it seems playing these are not a requirement but have additional gameplay segments and clues, as well as can effect the present (in the demo, you never have to play the VHS tape to actually beat it, but playing it or not does lead to a different area, and you probably won't know about the secret passage without playing it).

-The levels seem to be more open-ended than linear from what we've seen so far. I don't doubt there will be linear segments, but it seems part of the gameplay design is to forge 'routes' and more open, explorable locations with items to find, back-tracking, etc. The demo has a bit of an open-ended house that's small, and this lantern trailer shows a location (another part of the plantation it seems) which has multiple paths and areas through it. When you start being chased by Marguerite Baker with the lantern, there is very clearly a forward, left, and right path you can take. The player in the trailer takes the forward route, but you can see where the left route leads inside as there's part of the floor that's collapsed on the ground and a door which would lead to where the left path would of taken you. In the part with the projector and the pedestal with the indentation, she goes outside and we also see a walkway on the swamp which has a couple different branching paths (one needs something to cross over though, like a pulley or a lift or something). The gameplay design seems to be more 'open explorable areas with various items, puzzles, supplies, and such', which you then tackle and make way through to the next area.

-There will be set-piece moments. Again, in the initial E3 trailer you can clearly see a segment of the player driving a car. Thought it'd be impressive if you can just pick up cars in town and if the whole town is more open-ended to explore, I am theorizing this is likely a more set-piece segment, and as every RE game (even the original!) had set-piece moments, I think RE7 will too that help diversify gameplay.

-Something that I should mention is the game is definitely split into chapters alas Resident Evil 4-6. The game is confirmed to have some post-release DLC that will release 'when it's available' after release. They come with the Deluxe Edition, and include 'four short story' gameplay segments in one (guessing something similar to the VHS tapes in the game), and 'one additional story chapter', which my guess will be like how they did Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape for RE5. This does mean there will be some post-launch DLC included with the Deluxe Edition, but also does show the game is probably split into chapters.

-With this, the game is confirmed to have unlockables. Of what sort is not fully known, though the series is known for bonus modes, costumes, etc. We do know there is an unlockable 'hardest difficulty', but in an honestly pretty stupid move, the hardest difficulty is unlocked from the beginning for those who preorder. I say stupid since the difficulty should be unlocked from the start if it's just the same game but harder, but it seems like it may be a 'remixed' harder version of the game, ala Inferno Mode in Revelations 1 or the unlockable hard difficulties in Capcom's Haunting Ground, which would be dumb to play that during your first playthrough if its meant to mess with your expectations from playing the original game. Alas, we do know unlockables are in though, and one of them is the game's hardest difficulty (which may remix and change stuff from the main game), which you have unlocked from the start when pre-ordering (which is still a dumb move). It also is doubtful the game wouldn't have a bonus mode, as literally every main RE game has had one since the Director's Cut of RE1, though I am expecting it to not be Mercenaries/Raid, but maybe a new take on the older 'battle' game they had for RE1-Code Veronica? Or maybe something else entirely different. Regardless, Capcom certainly knows the success of Mercenaries/Raid Mode, and I don't doubt there will be some bonus mode in RE7 as well.

-This is a note, but I think the game may have an upgrade system. This is more theory on my part, but for example, the inventory you have in the demo clearly has more room that can be expanded for additional pocket space, which reminds of the cache from RE4. But more so, Eurogamer asked Capcom if the game would have a 'Merchant', but their response was that the Merchant is in Spain, but that RE7 may have its own 'strangeness'. That and with the coin being in the recent Herb teaser for RE7, and that I do think Capcom know people liked upgrading their weapons in RE4/RE5, I am theorizing you can upgrade your inventory space and maybe your weapons. As a side note while I'm theorizing on things I've less observed but thought about, I wonder if there's item boxes in the game? You have limited inventory space, and in the demo there's a discard option you can't use (and a combine option), so I wonder if you place things on the ground ala Resident Evil Zero when you discard (or just get rid of them from your inventory for consumable items ala RE1-Code Veronica), and if you play inventory spaces to other spots.

-I think RE7 may have Save Rooms. If you pre-order the game on PS4, you get a PSN theme, turning on the theme it has a relaxing piece of music from RE7, which you can hear here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCPMKmlddk8
Taking my bets its the 'save room' theme (most RE PSN themes use the Save Room themes already, and RE7's PSN theme's music is of the relaxing sort), and that would hint the game has Save Rooms.

---

Basically, I think the game will have hide'n'seek elements and will pull from hide'n'seek horror (they have confirmed they played every major first-person horror game while working on RE7, which would include Amnesia, Outlast, P.T., etc.), but they also said they don't want to be like those games, they want to give player the act to fight back, and say they want the game to be 'constantly surprising and full of gameplay twists', which I think they mainly want to keep a surprise. I kind of see what they're doing, with each thing they reveal they show a bit more of the game's elements (first one is just an exploration thing in the teaser demo, this new trailer they show hide'n'seek horror), i think what they're trying to do is show more and more of the gameplay elements slowly to show, "we got this, but look, we're more than that." But due to how slowly and this is all we have officially released, many think this is ALL there is, and only some people who take a deeper look and read/watch things closely may notice there's more going on.

So I think RE7 will be a big change for the series (obviously), and I think it will have moments that recall to other first-person horror games, but they have said that they are mainly pulling inspiration from RE1 and tried to understand the 'focal' points of the game, and I think we'll see more of that as time goes on, and does confirm there's puzzles, combat, limited inventory, etc. I think how they're seeing it is that they're doing a 'modern horror take' on Resident Evil, it uses doors for loading still, it has limited grid inventory from RE4, it has combat and methods to take out your enemies, but mixed with the more modern 'first-person hide'n'seek' angle, but since they've shown more of that in their early stuff, and they'll be showing more of the rest over time (there's a heavy hint another demo is releasing in September, probably around TGS, and they said they wanted other demo's to show other 'pillars' of the game, such as combat and puzzles), we'll see more as we see more.

I think it holds promise, and I am excited, but we won't know until we know. BUT, I do think it's more than just a hide'n'seek repetitive horror game, like some seem to think. But I admit I've gotten more excited for it as time has gone on, and as a person who plays a lot of horror games, new and old, I think this game may have more of an identity for itself than some may think, though it is definitely pulling some from recent first-person horrors and horror movies. Speaking of that, they said one horror work in particular inspired RE7 especially, but say they won't say what it is for now as it may spoil some key things about the story. I have my theories based on things, but to be seen. I don't think this will be like any RE before it, but also don't think it'll be like every indie horror game. This is just my observations, guesswork, and piecing together what we know, but I wanted to demonstrate my viewpoint and observations to show what I see as opposed to how many see first-person horror, character hiding, and jump to think that's all at play here.

Jawmuncher

As I said before Dusks post alone,handles PR better than capcom has so far. It's a crime that a lot of details were only seen on stage from the extra video screens at E3.
Where's the picture of the gun and enemy? I used to have it but can't find it.

This makes everything sound so much better. I just hope I get to see it in action before release.

I guess I should probably also play 5 and 6.

Dusk Golem

One thing I also will clarify is that Capcom hopefully picks up their game of what they choose to show off, I understand they don't want to show too much, but people seem to have an idea of the game, which no one can really blame them for with what they've decided to show so far. As another demo is teased to show in September (probably around TGS), I do hope they show more that might ease the people who think this is a hide'n'seek/walking simulator horror game with no diversity.

I posted all of this since I am an enthusiast, I observe and analyze a lot, and have passion for horror games, which include RE7. As a person who has played many indie horror games on Steam (as well as many classics of the PSX/PS2/SEGA era), I don't think this looks like just another indie horror game, from design to execution, but I can see how on face value (and the recent hide'n'seek trailer) some would come to that conclusion, though I say how they tackle the design of the segment is different from others I've played and seems more open-ended, with some oddities sprinkled around (such as the projector I mentioned). As that's confirmed to be a VHS sequence, it is also curious how the area may differ in the present.

In the end, we won't fully know until we know, but this is just my 'viewpoint' as someone asked to understand my view on the game or why I'd be excited as I had said I think there's a lot people aren't seeing yet, so I broke it down to show all I had noticed from what's been released so far.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Everything sounds soooo good. I really wonder how the protagonist is. And I hope to see a lot more of Mia in the final game. Hopefully she gets tons of VHS tapes to play though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks really great but I'm too much of a wuss to play it :(

Great thread! Hight hopes for the game over here. I don't have much to add, but I don't seem to remember any enemies from the footage. Anyone got a screencap?

Kyolux

Thanks for the thread!

Looking forward to that other one.

Now the only real downside to RE7 is that it's coming out on the same day as the Yakuza 0 localization.

TabooV

Neo Member
Great thread! I hope they start revealing more of the classic RE style gameplay soon. Too many people think this is going to be like Amnesia, which is a great game, but totally understand why people are disappointed in what they've seen so far.

Dusk Golem

Great thread! Hight hopes for the game over here. I don't have much to add, but I don't seem to remember any enemies from the footage. Anyone got a screencap?

Enemies we have seen so far, most are blurry since they were part of the E3 reveal when they pulled the camera back and showed a lot of projections of footage on the stage:

I will copy and paste what I wrote in the main topic as well:

Beyond what they've explicitly stated would be in the game and what we've seen all one could really be left to do is fill in the blanks. It's a marketing tactic, which is fine because the reveal was the start of it's marketing phase, but skepticism will remain until either release or such time a passerby is shown a hook.

And that's understandable, surprisingly a lot more of the game was shown at the initial E3 reveal of the game (which isn't the same as the trailer they released on Youtube channels, actually it's a lot different).

I only have my own recording on hand, but you can see some of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmUHK-jAOv8

Actually, wtf. That's higher quality than I've seen before of all the footage that played at once, and by watching that I spotted a few things I hadn't spotted before. It's unfortunately not the full clip (there's some more scenes of footage playing before and after this), but a few things you can make out:

-Meeting the cop in the bottom-left screen. You also can see the cop speaking to you with a flashlight through a boarded up window (does he hand you the flashlight for the next scene?)
-To the left at the beginning the character is in a super dark environment with a flashlight.
-In the middle screen, you can see the character over somebody in pain with blood on their hands, and then a few cutaways to footage, one includes a sunset in a forest.
-To the top right, you can see some enemy approaching the player, their hand is covered by the bottom screen, but you can see the flashes of a gun being shot and the enemy reacting like its been shot, it also comes up and bangs its head against the player.
-Now the screen right below that (the screen to the bottom-right) is maybe the most interesting of them all. You first see a driving segment, but then it shows a a big man-type thing walking across the hall, and in the next shot you can see us approaching the man as he walks forward with strange growths on his back, but he turns around and looks like he's about to back-hand the player.

There's more footage as I said, but that's much higher quality than I'd seen previously. Footage also has a part with roots, a part with an enemy on fire coming for you, a character walking through a forest and see a lit-up factory in front of them, and a bit more. Be interested to see more of it in higher quality.

Here's some screencaps that show some things, like the forest and the black hand and such:

87e7b8cc4c0bfed92bbf7f80b707fcae.png
391ae6352eb1762db2961732b6283d96.png

Driving Segment:
tAoaKQ.gif

Two monsters seen here:
aJdCv9.gif

I wonder how the clip I posted above has a higher quality version of the footage, though?

Ninjimbo

The demo and the trailers for this have been ass. This writeup has made me a lot more interested. The fact that it connects like that to RE lore got me up for some reason. I love that shit.

I'm still disappointed that my main cast has been ditched.

Something to keep in mind about this is that the director has said that something that he wants to bring back is that feeling you had when you played RE1. The feeling of not knowing what's going to happen next and simply being surprised. So even if there are returning characters he's not going to confirm them. Developers will flat out lie in order to protect big secrets about games in order to make sure that they can surprise fans.

kc44135

This is a great and much-needed thread, Dusk. Great work! Capcom should've hired you for marketing RE7, methinks.

Dusk Golem

The demo and the trailers for this have been ass. This writeup has made me a lot more interested. The fact that it connects like that to RE lore got me up for some reason. I love that shit.

Something to keep in mind about this is that the director has said that something that he wants to bring back is that feeling you had when you played RE1. The feeling of not knowing what's going to happen next and simply being surprised. So even if there are returning characters he's not going to confirm them. Developers will flat out lie in order to protect big secrets about games in order to make sure that they can surprise fans.

As said, to be seen if there's any character ties, but we do know at least the main character is a new face, though teased they may have something to do with the series past.

And to keep in mind that the third CG Resident Evil film, Resident Evil Vendetta, which features Leon, Chris, & Rebecca literally releases a day or two after RE7 comes out.

Ninjimbo

Yeah, but would it be wise to introduce them in the game? If I get even a whiff of Leon or Jill, I'm going to want to play as them. I'm so conflicted on this right now. I don't know how the game is going to pan out, but if it nails what it's going for then maybe it doesn't need the presence of those characters.

Thank you for this writeup. I'm more then willing to give RE7 a lot of benefit of the doubt since its a rather ballsy move from Capcom, but the Lantern footage didn't inspire much confidence in me. I feel better now.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, but would it be wise to introduce them in the game? If I get even a whiff of Leon or Jill, I'm going to want to play as them. I'm so conflicted on this right now. I don't know how the game is going to pan out, but if it nails what it's going for then maybe it doesn't need the presence of those characters.

Depends on their role. What if they just fine at the very end and save you, or are in a sort of mentor role like snake in mgs2.:

kc44135

As said, to be seen if there's any character ties, but we do know at least the main character is a new face, though teased they may have something to do with the series past.

And to keep in mind that the third CG Resident Evil film, Resident Evil Vendetta, which features Leon, Chris, & Rebecca literally releases a day or two after RE7 comes out.

I'm wondering if maybe you're related to, or play as the kid of one the previous games main cast? Like, maybe you're Jill's son and you're trying to find her since she went missing whilst investiating a mysterious plantation. Something along those lines. Any of the main characters could be old enough to have had kids, and Capcom's done this sort of thing multiple times in the past, with new characters related to old characters, like Jake being Wesker's son, or Claire being Chris's brother. I wonder if maybe this is how they'll tie a new protagonist to the story?

Great job, Dusk!

Out of everything, I'd be most pleased with a new Save Room (with theme) function. Just one of my personal favorite things with the series. I was very sad to see 5 & 6 devoid of them.

This thread has convinced me to preorder. :p

Honestly I wouldn't be bothered by a new character. If RE7 is a direct sequel to RE6 I'd want it to be on the downlow, RE canon is already so far up its own ass anyway.

Dusk Golem

I don't have any exact thoughts on the game, but the thought has crossed me that maybe
the main character is an ex-member of Umbrella or the like.
But that's just my theory.

Dusk Golem

Shit,i've missed the stream today.
Did they show anything interesting?

Was there supposed to be a stream related to RE7 or Capcom today? If there was, I surprisingly hadn't even heard of it. Though might be mixing something else up with something else as I feel someone would of brought it up, though Gamescom does start in a few hours for the public, and the trade event was today.

Thanks for putting this together! The atmosphere really sets the tone in RE7. I've played the first demo and watched today's trailer, and have to say I haven't felt that kind of tension in a Resident Evil game since Code: Veronica. It's great. Please continue sharing your analysis as I've learned more from reading it than I have from the game's demo and related media. Subscribed.

I appreciate RE7's backwoods swampy setting. You always hear tons of stories about some extremely remote town in the backwoods where there are legends of depraved shit. I guess the start of RE4 is somewhat like that. Reminds me of the Blair Witch Project, and that key art on the shirt is totally Blair WItch-y.

Dusk Golem

Okay, so details from the Gamescom interview held by IGN:

-When asked if and how it ties into the Resident Evil series of past or if it'll feel like RE, the response is that they have selected specific videos and demos (plural, basically confirming there is more than one demo they plan to release) to showcase what's new to Resident Evil, but guarantee when you sit down and play it from start to finish, you will see why it's a Resident Evil game and should fill the desire for a new Resident Evil title.
"There's things we couldn't really show you so far, including combat scenes and resource management. and other things people want to see from a Resident Evil game. But just because you haven't seen them yet, don't worry! It doesn't mean they're not coming, we're just keeping our cards close to the chest for the time being."

-When asked about if RE7 has 'moments of campiness and more 'fun' things, as what we've been shown so far looks more serious, the answer given by the director:
"Well, we couldn't just scare you witless scene after scene after scene. There'd be no respite. So we are trying to make a bit of a 'cycle' in the gameplay so that you will have truly terrifying scenes, and then you'll have a bit of a chance to relax and recover your senses. So without seeking specifically whether there's humor, it won't just be straight scares every minute, as that wouldn't be fun in the end."

-Whether asked about why they made VR in a series that's had tank controls, behind-the-shoulder, first-person, 2d, etc., why do VR? The answer is basically, "to provide an option for a new level of immersion." But they aren't trying to make it so those who don't play in VR are missing the ultimate experience, or the game doesn't stand on its own without VR, they have in mind some people will want to play without VR, some people will bring their buddies around and play it together around a TV, and they're trying to balance it so it'll be fun for all different kinds of audiences who play it. Assure they've been thinking about different types of people who will play it.

Now so far they were talking about the Beginning Hour Teaser demo everyone saw and playing footage from that, they now start showing the Gamescom footage and seem to be getting into deeper questions about the game itself and the new lantern footage.

-Ask the question why they chose the location, it's very unique for the franchise, why did they choose the location they chose? Basically say they chose it because the isolated south is a 'classic horror location' that hasn't been explored so much in Resident Evil or even many other horror games. They wanted to go to an older style horror location.

-Asks about 'stalkers' in the game, and the stalker in the Lantern footage, the series has had stalkers like Nemesis and Lisa Trevor, but how do they differ here and can they tell us some about the enemy in the trailer?
"Yeah, so this is just to show the different gameplay aspects you'll encounter in RE7. The Beginning Hour demo covered one gameplay aspect, while this one shows another, an enemy you have to hide from, rather than one you can have a fight with. This new footage was illustrating that side of the gameplay."

-Interviewer mentions to the last question it is interesting to see them take this direction with it becoming more of a run-and-gun in recent entries, then asks how they decided what to implement from past Resident Evil games into this one from their series legacy?
"Our first priority was horror, we wanted to bring it back to the horror roots of the series. And that's what really influenced our choices when looking at past gameplay choices and styles, we looked over things and thought over things and asked, "Would this help make a great horror experience?" We have a lot of variety, this scene tackles the fear of wanting to hide from something that can instantly kill you. We ask ourselves, "Will this be scary?", before we include the feature."

They also add this after the answer:

"We want Resident Evil 7 to be the ultimate survival-horror experience, pulling from what's been done before as well as a lot of things players have never seen before. We have a lot of horror situations, in the new 'Lantern" gameplay we showed one scene of that, but again, just to reassure viewers who are like, "Where's the combat? Where's the item resource management?" These things are DEFINITELY in there, and we're just taking our time to show you one aspect at a time."

OH, THERE'S ACTUALLY NEW GAMEPLAY SNIPPETS IN THE VIDEO TOWARDS THE END. Show a scene of the player walking through a narrow behind-the-walls corridor where they have to shimney. Then show a scene of walking through an area, blur lines begin to appear and suddenly see a shadow of something approaching as the player begins to panic and look for an area to hide. They show a scene of being under the floorboards and walking beneath the floor as it seems the enemy is walking above them. But it seems these are all cut from a longer video, they could fit in-between the things we've seen, like the last floorboards one transitions to the scene we see at the end of the clip.

-Questions if the game has a mystery to it, it almost seems like you're a detective, is there a central mystery to this game?
"Yeah, I think you start off kind of wrong-footed, so you're not even sure what's going on. So there is a mystery element to the game, but as you play you'll uncover what's actually happening. And you'll discover more and more elements that'll remind you of the classic Resident Evil DNA. So it's something we want you to uncover for yourself as the game progresses."

-Interviewer states that while they played the game, they got major Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes, that sort of farm horror, rural basements, animal carcasses, etc. Ask what sort of classic horror inspired these environments?
"Oh yeah, people pick up on the Texas Chainsaw thing obviously. We've got a wide variety of horror influences, whether it's movies, other games, comics, and other things. I'd like to think we're not just putting together these parts, just that we get inspiration from all sorts of culture. In the end we want to make a really unique experience, and we're confident that's what RE7 is going to be."

That's the gist of it.

I didn't realize this had a date yet. There hasn't even been a trailer yet as far as I know.

It is slated for a January 2017 release, and the current slated release date is January 26th, which would be two days after RE7, but that date may shift as you said, no trailer even yet.

Oh yeah, i'm very happy that we're going to get a new lead. RE2 was the last mainline entry where the playable characters were completely new. Ever since then they've made sure that Jill, Chris, Leon, or Claire were at least one of the playable characters in new entries.

I guess it really just depends on how they want to handle the game. They've made it clear that there will be no doubt that this is RE when people play it and that it's set after the events of RE6. So it's obviously still set in the timeline with the characters we all know. They may want to try to establish these new characters on their own without any baggage from the original casts. But still having them part of the story would be cool. I'd be particularly interested in what the new Chris would look like since the director of RE7 doesn't seem to be much of a fan of what he turned into since RE5.

Gaz_RB

I just don't understand the reasoning for not showing off the combat if they say it's in the game.

The e3 presentation/demo was a great way to introduce us to the new elements, fine. But we've got nothing new from the gamescom demo, so it starts to make you wonder if the real game will be much different than what's been shown. Especially because release is relatively near.

I just don't understand the reasoning for not showing off the combat if they say it's in the game.

The e3 presentation/demo was a great way to introduce us to the new elements, fine. But we've got nothing new from the gamescom demo, so it starts to make you wonder if the real game will be much different than what's been shown. Especially because release is relatively near.

I'm assuming you're not going to be blasting zombies (or whatever enemies) left and right. I'm guessing Capcom is building up the other "core" elements of the game. The game is already divisive I can already notice the tension of folks. Luckily RE2r should please everyone.

I think it's safe to say weapons this time around are more situational.

Top Bottom