• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - All We Know So Far Analysis & Puzzle Piecing

Gaz_RB

I'm assuming you're not going to be blasting zombies (or whatever enemies) left and right. I'm guessing Capcom is building up the other "core" elements of the game. The game is already divisive I can already notice the tension of folks. Luckily RE2r should please everyone.

I guess it's difficult for me to see how it could be "Survival Horror" without combat so that your resources are tested and resource management comes into play. If you're just running and hiding from insta kill monsters, there's no sense of being slowly worn down, which is key in an RE game.

I'm fine with what they've shown so far... But I need to know that survival horror gameplay loop is there.

Jawmuncher

I'm assuming you're not going to be blasting zombies (or whatever enemies) left and right. I'm guessing Capcom is building up the other "core" elements of the game. The game is already divisive I can already notice the tension of folks. Luckily RE2r should please everyone.

I think it's safe to say weapons this time around are more situational.

RE2make if it's like REmake isn't gonna please everyone. There are some who just want more action like 4-6.

I'm wondering if maybe you're related to, or play as the kid of one the previous games main cast? Like, maybe you're Jill's son and you're trying to find her since she went missing whilst investiating a mysterious plantation. Something along those lines. Any of the main characters could be old enough to have had kids, and Capcom's done this sort of thing multiple times in the past, with new characters related to old characters, like Jake being Wesker's son, or Claire being Chris's brother. I wonder if maybe this is how they'll tie a new protagonist to the story?

I feel like it's gonna be something related to Ada, or her swinging in at the end to save whomever.

although she was responsible for the whole RE6 situation so maybe now.

The Louisiana plantation setting really makes me want to play this game. A great follow up to the mansion in Resident Evil 1. I'm from Louisiana and these plantations can be creepy as hell.

Here's a link to a documentary on the Myrtles Plantation for reference.

https://youtu.be/H9M8KodWF2A

The Louisiana plantation setting really makes me want to play this game. A great follow up to the mansion in Resident Evil 1. I'm from Louisiana and these plantations can be creepy as hell.

Yeah that's what I'm most excited for. I hope they can keep their promise that the scale is limited to just the plantation grounds and surrounding area, maybe the town too.

TreIII

What if....YOU ARE THE BAD GUY

Well...there is that clone of "you know who" up and about, and already apparently running shady dealings in Umbrella Corps.

That's almost the kind of "tweest" that I could imagine Capcom pulling.
You're playing predominantly as the new clone of Albert Wesker, who technically is a "new character" to the franchise. And because he doesn't have Albert's bevvy of supervirus powers, the de-powering to the new guy being someone more "normal" would make sense.

But your guess would be as a good as mine as to why such a character would find reason to go poking around in the bayous of Louisiana. Maybe a "loose end" pertaining to Umbrella?

kogasu

Well, here it is! I was ready to start hyping up your post from the other thread everywhere lol. Excellent work Dusk! <3

Still got my hopes up for the game but, as of now, there's more that remains to be seen.

Reading this thread has made me really excited. If they can pull it off, this could be something special. Thanks for compiling all of this info.

Javin98

Banned
but who is the aunt Rhody
Probably no one in the game. The song is a "horror" cover of an old country song, which has the same chorus. "The old gray goose is dead" is replaced with "Everybody's dead".

Great thread, Dusk! It actually got me crazy hyped for RE7. I'm liking the new direction this game is going for so far. I think those who remain skeptical should judge if this is a "true" RE game after the game releases. Sure, "doesn't look like classic RE" is a valid complaint, but let's not get crazy and go full on hyperbole.

I just don't understand the reasoning for not showing off the combat if they say it's in the game.
Because showing the combat means they show the enemy/creature type

First reveal showed the atmosphere and setting (and Family Man), this new trailer shows off more and introduces Family Woman. They've now given a basic synopsis of the situation. The next step is likely either the protagonist(s) or the actual threat

Again while the game does release soon, it comes out in five months. If they legit care about the mystery then they don't want to release stuff too far in advance, keep it on drip feed

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
but who is the aunt Rhody

As said, probably no one, it's a cover of an old 1950s song of the same name, though in this cover all the lyrics have been changed except for the line, "Go tell Aunt Rhody". Unless they named a character after the song.

Probably no one in the game. The song is a "horror" cover of an old country song, which has the same chorus. "The old gray goose is dead" is replaced with "Everybody's dead".

Great thread, Dusk! It actually got me crazy hyped for RE7. I'm liking the new direction this game is going for so far. I think those who remain skeptical should judge if this is a "true" RE game after the game releases. Sure, "doesn't look like classic RE" is a valid complaint, but let's not get crazy and go full on hyperbole.

Thank you, and in agreement. I know some people not interested in the game argue that the game is nothing like RE4, but the response to this game is SO MUCH like the response to when RE4 was unveiled on the internet, it's crazy. It's fine to have your thoughts or to not be happy with what's been shown so far, but there's been some definite hyperbole going on with people jumping the shark of logic and coming to forgone conclusions. But there is things to see for paying attention, and Capcom's approach does seem to show one aspect at a time slowly over time, which if it's a good method or not is in the air, but I appreciate it for someone who wants to go in and have the experience mostly be fresh, but may be too analytic and observant for my own good for games I am anticipating.

Because showing the combat means they show the enemy/creature type

First reveal showed the atmosphere and setting (and Family Man), this new trailer shows off more and introduces Family Woman. They've now given a basic synopsis of the situation. The next step is likely either the protagonist(s) or the actual threat

Again while the game does release soon, it comes out in five months. If they legit care about the mystery then they don't want to release stuff too far in advance, keep it on drip feed

This has been my guess as well. When RE4 was going through marketing, I remember a big 'mystery' they did for a while was, "They're not zombies..." for the Ganados, and playing off the mystery of why these Villagers went crazy.

Kyolux

Watching this right now. Wow.. that guy's voice is annoying. Otherwise, they seem to be really over-dramatic about everything.

Amazing dusk! Great job! You got me more excited than capcom has.

While I know the game is more than hide and seek it's still troubling that we have seen none of the elements they keep promising us. Why is that? Is it because those elements are not the focus point meaning it is mostly a hide and seek game? Those elements are very strong to the point where it's more RE4 than creepy horror game? Or do they actually want to keep most the game a secret for the surpirse factor which is a very noble thing to do but I don't trust that when there is a giant company trying to make millions.

Also it's hard to take some interviews at their word when every RE game since RE5 had been said to "return to its roots" and they mostly don't.

Do I trust the PR machine is the question here, right now no. All they have to do is show the damn game then we can make judgement on our own but as long as they keep us in the dark we will be skeptical.

Kyolux

Amazing dusk! Great job! You got me more excited than capcom has.

While I know the game is more than hide and seek it's still troubling that we have seen none of the elements they keep promising us. Why is that? Is it because those elements are not the focus point meaning it is mostly a hide and seek game? Those elements are very strong to the point where it's more RE4 than creepy horror game? Or do they actually want to keep most the game a secret for the surpirse factor which is a very noble thing to do but I don't trust that when there is a giant company trying to make millions.

Also it's hard to take some interviews at their word when every RE game since RE5 had been said to "return to its roots" and they mostly don't.

Do I trust the PR machine is the question here, right now no. All they have to do is show the damn game then we can make judgement on our own but as long as they keep us in the dark we will be skeptical.

Like someone said before. I'm pretty sure they're not showing combat because they don't want to reveal what the monsters are going to be just yet.

Like someone said before. I'm pretty sure they're not showing combat because they don't want to reveal what the monsters are going to be just yet.

When has that stopped them before. The monsters have always been a huge selling point for this series. If the point of marketing is to get people exicted to buy the game then this is stupid.

Or they want a new user base and they want to distance themselves from what came before which is many of our fears.

When has that stopped them before. The monsters have always been a huge selling point for this series. If the point of marketing is to get people exicted to buy the game then this is stupid.

Or they want a new user base and they want to distance themselves from what came before which is many of our fears.

Well, they didn't say a thing about the dummy finger and people were buzzing about it for a while. I'm assuming that's how they try going to market this game, bad PR or not; drip feeding.

Kyolux

When has that stopped them before.

Because that's not what their current marketing plan is.

The plan is to reveal little by little new details over the next few months. We'll get more info for sure around TGS and Pax Prime. There's also the Playstation Experience event and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else.

I'm sure it sucks for people like you that really care about the combat to not know what's coming, giving you doubts, and I don't want to deny that as I've been there too for other games. And it's not like I agree that it's a good plan in itself.. but it is what it is.. and I don't think they're going to stop with this as there's a lot more buzz created around the game this way than there would be if we'd have seen everything by now.

Personally, I'm mostly interested by the creepiness of the game and VR. I really didn't like RE4 and 5 and didn't try 6. So I don't mind as much not seeing the combat just yet.

gconsole

At this rate they better show us the ending and final boss already. Why wasting time building up the hype and reveal little by little. We only have 5 months left! Too short! And why don't they show us the trailer just like first RE6 trailer, you know , with all explosion and shit. /sacasm

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
At this rate they better show us the ending and final boss already. Why wasting time building up the hype and reveal little by little. We only have 5 months left! Too short! And why don't they show us the trailer just like first RE6 trailer, you know , with all explosion and shit. /sacasm
Boss fight? I imagine each member of the "family" is a boss and the only time you'll use a weapon before returning to hide and seek and losing that weapon, any other weapons are likely "scare off" weapons with limited effects, ie Alien Isolation
I wanna see puzzle solving, I yet to see anything.
And please don't mention the VHS Bill & Ted thing.

Oh come on. It's 5 months away and we haven't seen more than a few seconds of actual gameplay from the game, that's crazy.

And if it is because of marketing and not some fear that they don't want to show the game, I think the marketing is failing. Look how small the RE threads are this week. This is RE, one of the top franchises in gaming and so far RE7 is being met with a huge meh by many. Why cause they don't show us anything and what they do show is so uninspired and copy cat of other games.

Dantooine

Banned
Nice thread Dusk.
I want to see combat but I'm also enjoying the fact that I'm interested in RE again. I liked the demo but after watching the new trailer I've no interest to go back and rewatch it. I really don't like enemies that you have to hide from and can insta-kill you. Didn't like Alien Isolation (sorry) and I didn't like the parts of The Evil Within which required hiding. This type of game mechanic really exposes the programming instead of adding to the immersion. I hope that these segment aren't too frequent, but considering it's the focus of the second trailer I expect there to be quite a bit of it in the main game.
It would be good if once you get the shotgun you can knock this enemy back and make an escape rather than kill it. The choice to hide or use a prescious bullet might be good.
I really want this to be great, but I don't have too much faith in Capcom. Can't wait for more info.

Ooccoo

In my opinion, RE7 (and DR4) are evidence that Capcom has lost it, probably to the point of being unsalvageable. It's like the studio is trying to kill every single of its IPs. The only people excited about RE7 are 1) people that don't care about RE or 2) people that think the game will have enough core features from the past to satiate them.

I'm sorry, but I will forever hate Capcom for what they've done with some of their IPs. So far this game has nothing of what made RE great. Where are the zombies? The characters? The weapons? The puzzles? Marketing is abysmal for such a huge project. They're selling it as a sequel to Amnesia or your favorite 'hide in the shadows' game.

If I'd have wanted a spooky ghost game, I'd have bought Fatal Frame. This does nothing to me and it does not help that RE6 was a travesty. The only hope left is RE2make, and even there I have my doubts. RE7 looks like a new IP, and this is not good.

In my opinion, RE7 (and DR4) are evidence that Capcom has lost it, probably to the point of being unsalvageable. It's like the studio is trying to kill every single of its IPs. The only people excited about RE7 are 1) people that don't care about RE or 2) people that think the game will have enough core features from the past to satiate them.

I'm sorry, but I will forever hate Capcom for what they've done with some of their IPs. So far this game has nothing of what made RE great. Where are the zombies? The characters? The weapons? The puzzles? Marketing is abysmal for such a huge project. They're selling it as a sequel to Amnesia or your favorite 'hide in the shadows' game.

If I'd have wanted a spooky ghost game, I'd have bought Fatal Frame. This does nothing to me and it does not help that RE6 was a travesty. The only hope left is RE2make, and even there I have my doubts. RE7 looks like a new IP, and this is not good.

Why assume it's a spooky ghost game. They're taking their time revealing the gameplay features. I imagine the gamescom trailer is just there to whet the appetite for tgs. Everyone wants to know everything about the game now,i don't get it. So far if seems like a labor of love from capcom and I have no doubts that it will stay true to RE, despite the change of perspective.

Almost guarantee there's scarce ammo, scientifically created monsters, and a big lab underneath the plantation.

Carbonox

RE7 has said the game will have more personalized enemies, and it certainly seems to be based around the Baker Plantation, who cut off communication with the world years ago (I theorized this months ago, but it was confirmed in the newest press release). I think they went into hiding from Umbrella, as they seem to be conducting some type of B.O.W. research, and it's my guess why they've been abducting people. The BSAA and other people haven't looked into it since it's just 'local ghost stories' going on, but the Baker family and residents of it have been brewing a nightmare that is about to lead into an outbreak with a previously unknown virus-strain with different effects than we've seen, which has been confused and associated with ghosts. This is also benefited from the Beginning Hour Teaser demo, where there's a picture of an Umbrella Helicoptor, and someone has written in paranoia, "are they watching from above?". I think the plantation has been doing their own biological research for some reason, and gone into hiding so Umbrella won't take them out or steal their research (as Umbrella is known to do in the series, as they have done and backstabbed various people they worked with, from George Trevor, to William Birkin, etc.), but due to isolation don't realize that Umbrella is dead.

I also think that one of the monsters, likely the Baker's daughter, is a B.O.W. and is after vengeance (which ties into the Aunt Rhody song they chose for the trailer, about being raised in a deep dark hole, a prisoner with no parole, and they took her soul.)..

If the above is true then that has me very interested in how this fits in with the existing canon. The main thing I've been wondering is how it all fits in and this would be a good way of handling it.

Kudos on the great job. Definitely increased my interest in the game a little bit more.

I mean, you may very well end up being correct, but I have a feeling you didn't even read the op.

Dusk Golem

I mean, you may very well end up being correct, but I have a feeling you didn't even read the op.

Probably not, as it's been confirmed on more than one occasion there's no ghosts in RE7, and the game isn't dealing with the occult.

damstr

Neo Member
This thread has made me feel a lot better about Resident Evil 7. Thank you so much!

So far I really like where they are going with this game. I love RE but I didn't even bother with RE6 or that RE Raccoon City game which I heard was shit. Yes it has an Outlast vibe to it but I think Resident Evil 7 is going to take it to a whole new level.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Dusk once again outdoing everyone with his stuff. Great thread.

As for the game itself, I want to like it; I love the series so much; but I just can't bring myself to muster enthusiasm for this, even knowing all of this and that it'll probably be more than just run and hide and instakill enemies. For me RE has never been a horror game and every time I see anything from this I just feel it doesn't feel like Resident Evil. The new trailer exemplifies this. I'd honestly rather more 6 than this.

But, I mean, I'm still gonna buy it.

I just won't have high expectations on the game being fun.

And I'll legit consider returning it if the climax doesn't involve shooting a final boss of sorts with a rocket launcher or appropriately powerful weapon. (looking at you, REvelations)

EDIT: Where's kamineko with the link to the community thread? Tsk tsk:

Join the community thread! Lots of interesting discussions! Circular arguments! Tiny L/RTTPs! Ask questions like: "Why could the C-virus do all the shit it did?", "Where has Rebecca been all this time?", "Why did Newsbot get banned, again?", "What are you supposed to do with the finger?" and many more!

Lots of stuff I didn't know, thanks! I'm really interested in this game, this seems like the soft reboot I've been wanting for years.
I hope they reveal the combat the next time they show the game so the "it's an outlast/amnesia clone" comments will stop. I imagine the TGS showing will be the first time we get a really good look at the game.

One thing about this game that has me really interested is the whole concept of the playable VHS tapes. This seems to be Capcom's attempt at making traditional audio/video logs more interactive, which is something that I have to commend. I find audio logs to be an incredibly lazy way of storytelling, so I hope they can pull this experiment off successfully.

Jawmuncher

How far away is TGS again? I feel like they have to give us something there, even though I know it's relatively close.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Awesome writeup Dusk.

Yup, the Revelations writer is definitely involved. Whenever you play through events in the past to effect the future, that's Revelations lol

One thing about this game that has me really interested is the whole concept of the playable VHS tapes. This seems to be Capcom's attempt at making traditional audio/video logs more interactive, which is something that I have to commend. I find audio logs to be an incredibly lazy way of storytelling, so I hope they can pull this experiment off successfully.

I wonder how big of a difference our actions in the VHS tapes will make. I hope there might be situations where if you make it through a VHS tape you will meet that character later in the game, but if you die during the tape you won't.

-Something that I should mention is the game is definitely split into chapters alas Resident Evil 4-6. The game is confirmed to have some post-release DLC that will release 'when it's available' after release. They come with the Deluxe Edition, and include 'four short story' gameplay segments in one (guessing something similar to the VHS tapes in the game), and 'one additional chapter', which my guess will be like how they did Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape for RE5. This does mean there will be some post-launch DLC included with the Deluxe Edition, but also does show the game is probably split into chapters.

Ugh.. This killed all the momentum Bio7 had for me. I don't want to play this game knowing the full context of the story is behind a paywall - especially one with supposed multiple endings.

Ryuuga

Banned
I just don't understand the reasoning for not showing off the combat if they say it's in the game.

The e3 presentation/demo was a great way to introduce us to the new elements, fine. But we've got nothing new from the gamescom demo, so it starts to make you wonder if the real game will be much different than what's been shown. Especially because release is relatively near.

If I had to make a comparison it would be like when Ready at Dawn was showing their new QTE mechanics for The Order 1886 following the reveal. Interesting aspect to show but will larely overlooked in the end.

Dusk Golem

Awesome writeup Dusk.

Yup, the Revelations writer is definitely involved. Whenever you play through events in the past to effect the future, that's Revelations lol

Actually, and I forgot to mention this, the main writer of the game is the first time an English writer has been put on the series. I forget his name, but it's the same writer who wrote Spec-Ops: The Line and F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, he confirmed on his twitter he was the lead writer for Resident Evil 7 and confirmed by Capcom.

Ugh.. This killed all the momentum Bio7 had for me. I don't want to play this game knowing the full context of the story is behind a paywall - especially one with supposed multiple endings.

As weird as this may seem, I actually have faith in Capcom in this department. The only predecessors to this in the RE series is the recent two bonus episodes in Revelations 2 (Moira and Natalia's ones), Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape in RE5, and Ada's Separate Ways in RE4 PS2 version onward. All of those didn't hide the story behind a wall, it mainly just provided additional gameplay with a bit more story attached. I don't think anyone who didn't play them felt they were missing out on story, and those who did play it found it just a fun little bonus thing. We'll see, but I think they have handled it well so far.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Actually, and I forgot to mention this, the main writer of the game is the first time an English writer has been put on the series. I forget his name, but it's the same writer who wrote Spec-Ops: The Line and F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, he confirmed on his twitter he was the lead writer for Resident Evil 7 and confirmed by Capcom.

Now I'm confused.

But cool. Maybe this design has less to do with story and more to do with gameplay. Now that I think of it, story based flashbacks that are playable has been commonplace since RE5 LiN or maybe even RE4. This design might have established itself as part of RE.

Guess that's another aspect of this game that will be Resident Evilesque.

Dusk Golem

Few more pieces come together, and I also have noticed some things from the released material when conversing with Jawmuncher I hadn't noticed before, but I'll hold off further theorizing for when the TGS stuff is shown.

Top Bottom