• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So I binged through DNA² and Video Girl Ai this week. I don't think I watched either since the days of fansub vhs slooooow trickle. I forgot just how short both shows were. Video Girl Ai OVAs were frustratingly short. Too bad they never finished out the story from the manga. One of the first anime cons I ever went to was Katsucon Ichi in Virginia, specifically because Katsura was going to be the headlining guest. We drove from Florida to see him... and he last minute canceled :( On the plus side some guy brought a Japanese PS1 to show off and it was like the week it came out in Japan. He had Ridge Racer, and the super awesome Twinbee Puzzle.

Decided to get through my backlog of older shows I haven't actually watched before. This gem is next:

I had a lot of friends super into KOR when it released, but like a lot of things in the early 90s, you had to go through some serious hoops to get fansubbed VHS, and something with 50+ episodes was just insane to deal with. I really like the use of color in this show so far, and it really stands out compared to other shows from the same time. Helps it's a super clear Blu-Ray restoration.

For some srs retro deep dives check out Kenny's Youtube Channel I find his stuff well researched and interesting anyhow.

I've been a Masakazu Katsura fan for years now. About a year or less ago, I opened discussion on DNA² and more recently (a few pages back had asked in the discussion about those who'd watched or read the manga Video Girl Ai). DNA² seems to be more familiar in minds of time's past than Video Girl Ai. If I recall, most who'd read that post had never watched Video Girl Ai and it seems to be a relatively hard piece of media to come across today physically. If that was your binge watch this weekend -- you had a great weekend. You mentioned the length of the adaptations and yes, they're painfully short. Especially Video Girl Ai which deserved at least a cut of 16-episodes like DNA². I still have Pioneer release of VGA and I've shown it to others with mixed takes on it. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I've heard others say it just wasn't their thing. If we're just talking the two, VGA was still my favorite of the two.

That's a huge bummer you missed seeing Katsura back in the day. Especially given that drive too. Shows also our pre-internet frustration as everything was by ear - whereas today they likely would have likely stated the cancellation. A few years ago he was still jumping to smaller conventions in the U.S...maybe he'll do another one. Unlike some of the other pioneers out there, he's relatively young and I doubt he'd be one of those who's impossible to catch. Sounds like that whole journey was fun and I'd date it to 94 or 95 based on seeing a JP Playstation. I was in the trade for awhile and stuck with fansubs up until early download sites started to emerge around 2002/3.

Kimagure Orange Road TV, you'll enjoy it quite a bit. I bought the blu-ray and discussed back in 2021 (I waited some months after purchase before finally watching it myself). I was unable to watch it during the 90's when I first got into anime because I could not find the fansubs and don't recall ever seeing the VHS release in any of my local video stores. But it was discussed on all the early anime webpages (I posted a couple pages back a website which mysteriously is still active today abcb.com) which drew me to watch it eons after it's release...well nearly 35-years after anyway. K.O.R. has great City Pop tracks for openings/endings, great pacing with the overall episodes and without reading ahead a genuine ending which shows the writing was slightly better than what you'd find today. I was disappointed with my personal copy of the Discotek release though as I the 3rd blu-ray disc had a manufacturers' defect (first I've ever seen) and the disc was unplayable. Some good friends here helped me find the episodes I missed from that disc and a few were rips from the fansubs. I believe I've seen two separate fan subs of K.O.R.
There was no way I would have tackled it on VHS. My patience with longing run anime series isn't the best and I recall burning out after a 26-episode/8 VHS series back in the day (of which I owned very few). But K.O.R. is worth watching the full 60-some episodes and they go by fast.

I've been following Kenny's channels for about 3-years now and hit him with some oddball retro anime questions in his Zelda: OOT live stream a couple months ago. I believe Kenny's a Florida native and I kinda hope someone could get him to Japan to find a store and buy up a bunch of these old OVA VHS' for a fraction of what they charge online. I know he recently obtained a PAL VCR to start reviewing but as expensive as they are -- I hope he gets a LaserDisc player to cover the myriad titles with cool artwork that were released on LD.

Valonquar Valonquar thanks for contributing to the discussion. Always enjoy reading your posts. Let us know how K.O.R. goes too. FYI -- I've yet to watch the movies or OVA. So, if you finish the TV run...there's still a bit more out there.

Labolas

Does anyone here remember Silent Mobius? I'm having tough time remembering if it was any good or not, it has two movies and a tv series. The OP from the tv series is still a banger.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Does anyone here remember Silent Mobius? I'm having tough time remembering if it was any good or not, it has two movies and a tv series. The OP from the tv series is still a banger.

I thought the movies were okay and always saw them as OVAs. The TV series was made during a time when budgets were dwindling for series and stories were about the same. That's to say, if you saw it but don't remember even for the sake of nostalgia, it just wasn't great. Not bad but mediocre given 97-98 saw Bebop, Trigun and Berserk TV. Shows with hype but a bit of reason behind the hype. For 90's anime, the best were the few series and OVAs produced between 1990 & 1994.

Labolas

I thought the movies were okay and always saw them as OVAs. The TV series was made during a time when budgets were dwindling for series and stories were about the same. That's to say, if you saw it but don't remember even for the sake of nostalgia, it just wasn't great. Not bad but mediocre given 97-98 saw Bebop, Trigun and Berserk TV. Shows with hype but a bit of reason behind the hype. For 90's anime, the best were the few series and OVAs produced between 1990 & 1994.
IDK if I would call it mediocre because how much stuff has spawned from Silent Mobius. You have the original manga, the two movies (or OVAs in this case), a tv series, and two sequel mangas. That's a lot more than some of the more popular anime.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
IDK if I would call it mediocre because how much stuff has spawned from Silent Mobius. You have the original manga, the two movies (or OVAs in this case), a tv series, and two sequel mangas. That's a lot more than some of the more popular anime.
I think I should have specified that I'd lean into that comment more from a production lens. Economy and just general cutting corners such as outsourcing sorta led many mid-90s/late 90's title less-than great from an animation perspective. However, you have a point on popularity. It would have seemed to have donr well but somewhere in the 2000's discussion just dropped. That again, is why we have this thread. There are probably no more than 6 titles from the 70's - 90's that will ever get discussed in modern anime circles. Unless it's a franchise that just kept going like Lupin lll or Dragon Ball.

To give better input, I'd need to watch the series. Any idea if the physical is still in print?

Labolas

The retro anime was the best, with no woke influences.
Yeah, well, nutjobs on twitter and news outlets will try tell you different.
I think I should have specified that I'd lean into that comment more from a production lens. Economy and just general cutting corners such as outsourcing sorta led many mid-90s/late 90's title less-than great from an animation perspective. However, you have a point on popularity. It would have seemed to have donr well but somewhere in the 2000's discussion just dropped. That again, is why we have this thread. There are probably no more than 6 titles from the 70's - 90's that will ever get discussed in modern anime circles. Unless it's a franchise that just kept going like Lupin lll or Dragon Ball.

To give better input, I'd need to watch the series. Any idea if the physical is still in print?
Ah, I got you. Yeah, it didn't have the greatest of animation but was pretty average to decent on production iirc.

It's on ebay for about 40-45 dollars.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Retro was the best. Traditional animation when executed with the right staff made that work. Once Japan was pretty much forced out of resources to go CG to be economical; seems like writing, art style, direction even musical scores went down the same. Not sure about it being woke but then again, I haven't seen anything 'new' in about 21-years.
Yeah, well, nutjobs on twitter and news outlets will try tell you different.

Ah, I got you. Yeah, it didn't have the greatest of animation but was pretty average to decent on production iirc.

It's on ebay for about 40-45 dollars.
It's not too expensive but needs a pretty big hook for me to put money on it. About a year ago I watched Legend of the Heroic Knight (Lodoss TV) and was surprised. First time watching and set my expectations low given it was produced in '98. It really wasn't bad at all. Can't compare the production to the OVA but for TV, it really seemed to set well.
I feel like Kia Asamiya's stuff all got really sub par Anime and game adaptations sadly.
But he did get to work on Borgman and A-Ko. I mean, that's something. I think the 2000's took the last creative tools out of Japanese and Western artists hands alike. I know many who would debate that but traditional animation challenged an animation team to be creative. There's no challenge in Flash, CAD renderings, air brushed digi backgrounds and a Wacom tablet. Writers really don't seem to have a clue anime-wise now but there are some manga out there which hold up. If you're reading this, check the carbon dating...you may well be a dinosaur such as I. There was enough great anime from the past to echo into the future. When we're gone though...then what?

Maybe If you didn't watch or read much Shoujo/Josei. Utena, Sailor Moon, CardCaptor Sakura and the Manga for Petshop of Horrors (Especially it's sequel) were very woke at times, Banana Fish was also written in the 80's I think, although it wasn't adapted until very recently. You could argue Japanese girls simply get their panties wet at the idea of Gay/Trans people but even then there were a lot of Manga, Anime and other media as far back as the 80's that could be considered "woke" these days, it's just that we never got it. Even the original LoGH had some gays in there.

Last edited:

dave_d

I've got to ask, does HiDive work reasonable well? I saw that about the only way to watch the original "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is on it so it makes me want to give them a try. (That anime is supposed to be pretty good, right?) I'm guessing I could probably watch it on the web browser on my Series X.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Maybe If you didn't watch or read much Shoujo/Josei. Utena, Sailor Moon, CardCaptor Sakura and the Manga for Petshop of Horrors (Especially it's sequel) were very woke at times, Banana Fish was also written in the 80's I think, although it wasn't adapted until very recently. You could argue Japanese girls simply get their panties wet at the idea of Gay/Trans people but even then there were a lot of Manga, Anime and other media as far back as the 80's that could be considered "woke" these days, it's just that we never got it. Even the original LoGH had some gays in there.
I'm not sure woke politics were even relevant to Japanese animators back then. Project A-Ko for instance shows transvestites or cross dressing in a similar comedic way you would find in Monty Python sketches. These things were done in good humor...not to promote gender politics because...no one cared 25-30+ years ago. Same with echii or yurri (however that's spelled). There were plenty of anime titles with characters like that back in the day. I don't watch modern anime -- therefore, I can't comment much on whether or not there woke characters or stories.
I've got to ask, does HiDive work reasonable well? I saw that about the only way to watch the original "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is on it so it makes me want to give them a try. (That anime is supposed to be pretty good, right?) I'm guessing I could probably watch it on the web browser on my Series X.
Not too familiar with HiDive but honestly it's good as long as you're getting decent audio and close to (seldom see this in streaming uploads) source material aspect ratios. We've had many comment in the past on cropping and other screwball editing that has been done with retro anime on streaming platforms. Did you ever pick it up on blu-ray or DVD?

dave_d

Not too familiar with HiDive but honestly it's good as long as you're getting decent audio and close to (seldom see this in streaming uploads) source material aspect ratios. We've had many comment in the past on cropping and other screwball editing that has been done with retro anime on streaming platforms. Did you ever pick it up on blu-ray or DVD?

No I never did pick up the original. The problem was that in the US it was available as a limited release a year ago and I hadn't even heard of that anime at the time. Just to be clear they sold it as a limit box release of 1000 units and they charged $800 for it. So at the moment the only way to watch it is on their streaming service.

kunonabi

It works well on my firestick but the phone app is unusable due to constant buffering. It works fine on my phone's web browser though so the Series X browser might be OK.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It works well on my firestick but the phone app is unusable due to constant buffering. It works fine on my phone's web browser though so the Series X browser might be OK.
Phone apps for streaming have been a hit or miss. A series X would likely handle well as I do most streaming through my consoles and it's smooth.

You haven't shown your holiday haul just yet. I'm eager to see what you've picked up. Or...Rightstuf still sending those boxes out. I know I read a few pages back that something had changed with Rightstuf.

kunonabi

Phone apps for streaming have been a hit or miss. A series X would likely handle well as I do most streaming through my consoles and it's smooth.

You haven't shown your holiday haul just yet. I'm eager to see what you've picked up. Or...Rightstuf still sending those boxes out. I know I read a few pages back that something had changed with Rightstuf.
I think they're closing for weather or something.
Evj7PhG.jpg

Lupin III Farewell to Nostradamus
Royal Space Force 4K
Lupin III Dead or Alive
Cat's Eye season 2
Urusei Yatsura Always My Darling
Flying Phantom Ship
Project A-Ko 3
Devilman TV series
My hero academia season 5 part 2
Nighthead genesis
The princess and the pilot
Goodbye Don glees
Seven days war
Summer ghost

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think they're closing for weather or something.
Evj7PhG.jpg

Lupin III Farewell to Nostradamus
Royal Space Force 4K
Lupin III Dead or Alive
Cat's Eye season 2
Urusei Yatsura Always My Darling
Flying Phantom Ship
Project A-Ko 3
Devilman TV series
My hero academia season 5 part 2
Nighthead genesis
The princess and the pilot
Goodbye Don glees
Seven days war
Summer ghost
You know you could like always send me a copy of Cat's Eye part1 and Farewell to Nostradamus 😉

Pretty incredible haul. Let us knoe how Royal Space Force and Devilman TV look too.

kunonabi

You know you could like always send me a copy of Cat's Eye part1 and Farewell to Nostradamus 😉

Pretty incredible haul. Let us knoe how Royal Space Force and Devilman TV look too.

Will do although that might not be for awhile. Haven't had much energy to watch or play stuff lately.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Will do although that might not be for awhile. Haven't had much energy to watch or play stuff lately.
Likewise. Not so much an energy issue but overworked. Either way, my wife & I were trying to watch Christmas specials from classic anime.

Have a listen to this one. A lot of Retro Anime GIFs in this...which ones do you recognize?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I've watched Only Yesterday recently.

Started out a little slow and unexciting, but Jesus that ending was too much. Couldn't hold the tears after that.
Takahata really knew how to touch people's hearts.

Only_Yesterday.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I've watched Only Yesterday recently.

Started out a little slow and unexciting, but Jesus that ending was too much. Couldn't hold the tears after that.
Takahata really knew how to touch people's hearts.

Only_Yesterday.jpg
It's an amazing piece of animation work at the peak of Takahata's film works. Isao Takahata had an amazing career (evening directing a few of the early Lupin lll TV episodes) from TV to the movies he'd worked in direction. I know the Miyazaki was around during some of these works and many will give him credit as most of these titles fell under Studio Ghibli. But, it's really the animators and Takahata that made this work. By the way, from 2020 till now -- this is the first mention of the movie. My goal at some point is we open discussion on every retro title TV/OVA/Movie at some point as I noticed this thread is one of the few active resources online to read or discuss retro anime.

What format did you watch this in? Also, have you seen Grave of the Fireflies or the Barefoot Gen OVA movies? If you haven't and this one was emotionally strong...don't watch those two...

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
What format did you watch this in? Also, have you seen Grave of the Fireflies or the Barefoot Gen OVA movies? If you haven't and this one was emotionally strong...don't watch those two...
I've watched it on Netflix. I'm glad there are Studio Ghibli movies available there.

Grave of Fireflies is one of those movies I don't think I have the stomach to watch a second time. It gets its message across very effectively, but it's just so heartbreaking.
Barefoot Gen in on my list, I wanna watch it one of those days.

I think there was also an 80s/90s anti-war anime that had 10 episodes or so, I forgot the name.
People said it was pretty sad as well.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I've watched it on Netflix. I'm glad there are Studio Ghibli movies available there.

Grave of Fireflies is one of those movies I don't think I have the stomach to watch a second time. It gets its message across very effectively, but it's just so heartbreaking.
Barefoot Gen in on my list, I wanna watch it one of those days.

I think there was also an 80s/90s anti-war anime that had 10 episodes or so, I forgot the name.
People said it was pretty sad as well.
Barefoot Gen was two movies but I believe they later tried billing as OVAs...which I'd believe. The first film you can probably find on YouTube complete but that's probably about as far as you want to go. Not sure on an anti-war OVA from the 80's unless it was Barefoot Gen. Most certainly wasn't Angel Cop...

GymWolf

Even if Souther has all the pressure points inverted, kenshiro should have kick is ass anyway in the first fight, dude destroyed a fucking tank just with punches.

Valonquar

Finally finished all of KOR including OVAs and the 2 movies. The 1st movie was pretty brutal.
Poor poor Hikaru. Then I read that in the manga it was even worse for her. That said, Yusuke wasn't even in the "New" KOR so I guess he was done dirty too so it makes you feel slightly less bad for Hikaru.
Just love all the music though. It's funny I've heard all the tracks out of context a LOT back in the early 90's just hanging around with other peeps that were into it at the time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Finally finished all of KOR including OVAs and the 2 movies. The 1st movie was pretty brutal.
Poor poor Hikaru. Then I read that in the manga it was even worse for her. That said, Yusuke wasn't even in the "New" KOR so I guess he was done dirty too so it makes you feel slightly less bad for Hikaru.
Just love all the music though. It's funny I've heard all the tracks out of context a LOT back in the early 90's just hanging around with other peeps that were into it at the time.
I've not yet seen the OVAs or movie. Just the TV series. I figured the movie would have gotten a bit melodramatic. Wasn't it set in the future or one of those weird Kyosuke time leaps?
Probably not retro enough but it's my favorite show... Ignore if you please to do so.

Hajime no Ippo still fits my proverbial cut off year in OP. It came out right about the time hand painted cels were being swapped for digital and air brushed bsckgrounds. Had they produced it 3-years prior it would have looked noticeably different. Either way, it was a great anime. And it'd have to be about 20-years old by now at least.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It came out right about the time hand painted cels were being swapped for digital and air brushed bsckgrounds. Had they produced it 3-years prior it would have looked noticeably different.

That's were my interested took a steep nose dive.

Did you happen to see Macross: Do you remember love? I'm quite sure it's on YT with eng subs.

Last edited:

Valonquar

I've not yet seen the OVAs or movie. Just the TV series. I figured the movie would have gotten a bit melodramatic. Wasn't it set in the future or one of those weird Kyosuke time leaps?
1st movie is directly after TV series.
Basically Hikaru kisses Kyoske, and Madoka finds out about it afterward. He tells Madoka he loves her and realizes he has to make it clear to Hikaru that they aren't a thing. Queue 30 minutes of him having to basically tell Hikaru not to talk to him anymore and her crying. Madoka and Kyoske end up going to the same college THE END. In the anime Hikaru says she always knew he loved Madoka & thought she could make him change his mind. Apparently in the mange she was completely oblivious until she sees her hat in his room.
2nd move is a time jump to them at 19 and at 22 with Kyoske time jumping \ swapping and getting stuck in 1994 for most of it. It's a diff tone and art style.
SEX WITH MADOKA

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That's were my interested took a steep nose dive.

Did you happen to see Macross: Do you remember love? I'm quite sure it's on YT with eng subs.
I posted in a separate thread how I tried finding it and someone bought an awkward DVD that had nothing to do with it. Someone reading probably knows whether or not it's possible to ever see Macross: DyrL on blu-ray. I'm pretty sure there was a JP release but don't know much beyond that.
1st movie is directly after TV series.
Basically Hikaru kisses Kyoske, and Madoka finds out about it afterward. He tells Madoka he loves her and realizes he has to make it clear to Hikaru that they aren't a thing. Queue 30 minutes of him having to basically tell Hikaru not to talk to him anymore and her crying. Madoka and Kyoske end up going to the same college THE END. In the anime Hikaru says she always knew he loved Madoka & thought she could make him change his mind. Apparently in the mange she was completely oblivious until she sees her hat in his room.
2nd move is a time jump to them at 19 and at 22 with Kyoske time jumping \ swapping and getting stuck in 1994 for most of it. It's a diff tone and art style.
SEX WITH MADOKA
1st movie going to be honest, I've never even heard the 1st movie of based on what you wrote. Was it something released in Japan only? Seems like there was an unaired pilot floating on YouTube too.

Second movie sounds like they were going for a different audience indeed. They should have had Kawajiri direct it.

What about the OVAs? Same story as KOR TV or was it something else?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Out of curiosity, does anyone know a good resource for anime backgrounds?

I only know of this twitter profile

I did not as much of this art is either in storage, private collections or lost. What you shared is a fairly decent collection and I thank you for that. Imagine that...something decent on Twitter.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I did not as much of this art is either in storage, private collections or lost. What you shared is a fairly decent collection and I thank you for that. Imagine that...something decent on Twitter.
I loved when anime used traditional paintings for backgrounds.
Modern anime backgrounds look too clean and sometimes they add way too much detail and digital effects, making them kinda unpleasant to look at.

It's sad that there are probably only one or two studios out there still using traditional paintings.
Most have moved on to digital paintings, sometimes even outsourcing their art to other countries to cut costs.

Maybe it's just me, but I also have a hard time telling apart modern anime backgrounds. They look as if they were all made by the same person.
With traditional you can tell if it was made by Kazuo Oga, Shichiro Kobayashi, and so on.

Valonquar

1st movie going to be honest, I've never even heard the 1st movie of based on what you wrote. Was it something released in Japan only? Seems like there was an unaired pilot floating on YouTube too.
What about the OVAs? Same story as KOR TV or was it something else?
Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day was released on DVD by AnimEigo on May 11, 2004. The TV series, and OVA's, and 1st movie were licensed by Animeigo. The licenses have now expired. It looks like Discotek Media has rereleased it on Blu-Ray with one set for the TV series and one set for the OVAs and Movie. Looks like ADV has\had the rights to the 2nd movie and it's just on DVD in 640x480 glory. The quality was much lower overall so wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't get an HD scan anytime soon.
The OAVs seem to mostly take place in-between season 1 & 2 and are filler type stories mostly.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I loved when anime used traditional paintings for backgrounds.
Modern anime backgrounds look too clean and sometimes they add way too much detail and digital effects, making them kinda unpleasant to look at.

It's sad that there are probably only one or two studios out there still using traditional paintings.
Most have moved on to digital paintings, sometimes even outsourcing their art to other countries to cut costs.

Maybe it's just me, but I also have a hard time telling apart modern anime backgrounds. They look as if they were all made by the same person.
With traditional you can tell if it was made by Kazuo Oga, Shichiro Kobayashi, and so on.
Hand drawn and painted backgrounds were a whole artwork alone. There were even some low budget anime titles in the 90's that would still have impressive backgtound art. Did you see those cityscapes for Gunsmith Cats. Never seen anyone paint Chicago that detailed and to think, 10-seconds or less in most cases of screentime for painting like that.

Digital is pretty much all the same artist...rather than Kobahashi, they're all painted courtesy of high end Wacom drawing tablets. If you painted a skyline wrong 30-years ago, chances were it'd have to do. You can tap back, auto color, auto erase and even default a straight line for vanishing paints on a professional tablet. Our great artists back in the day only had one thing to work with aside from material and time...they had talent.
Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day was released on DVD by AnimEigo on May 11, 2004. The TV series, and OVA's, and 1st movie were licensed by Animeigo. The licenses have now expired. It looks like Discotek Media has rereleased it on Blu-Ray with one set for the TV series and one set for the OVAs and Movie. Looks like ADV has\had the rights to the 2nd movie and it's just on DVD in 640x480 glory. The quality was much lower overall so wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't get an HD scan anytime soon.
The OAVs seem to mostly take place in-between season 1 & 2 and are filler type stories mostly.
Don't remind me of the AnimEigo releases. Bad memories and their pricing being the reason I'd never been able to watch anything KOR until the Discotek releases. Forget how crazy they were sold on VHS; the DVD boxsets remained extremely high priced for years. I tried bidding on the TV boxset on eBay once but lost out to some $300 bid back in like 2012. Finally got KOR TV for about $110 + our high import fees...and disc 3 was unplayable (new set, no scratches...disc rot?). Anyway, I'd buy the OVA/Movie set but I don't trust Discotek with multidiscs as I read from some Japanese reviewers that they too had unplayable discs.

I thought the 2nd movie did get a release beyond ADV...unless I'm confusing it with something else. By the way, I don't mind filler either.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Or, if you worked for Miyazaki, redo it all over again (turn on subtitles!)

16:30

Another point there. Not all Directors could afford to do it again but the intent says something. They were after quality. The reason I enjoy retro anime so much is because they took production seriously like they were running an OVA or movie to Hollywood. Now, it's just a job. Make it look sparkly and bright.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Some stuff for the Macross fans (That's everyone here, right? =p )

Select pages of production material and fun stuff from the "Macross Gal's Book" in the May '83 Animage (Shamelessly taken from Retro Humans)
Absolutely awesome collection. It's amazing to see the original character model sheets. I'm going to need to save these. Do Japanese animators still work from model sheets? I mean, the artstyle before layouts is about the best anime had ever been. Particularly 1983 - 90 in terms of overall quality.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
These are the 3 images that my Windows background rotate through
CtXXVS7.jpg
An8a1Jd.jpg
cOXRvwo.jpg
That Twitter profile SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo sharef some weeks back had some pretty cool backgrounds from various epochs of anime. Found one from the Gunsmith Cats OVA that I have as a wallpaper. I'd need to scroll down a bit more to see if they included any from Macross.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not sure if it was already posted, but here's a dude with some Nausicaa's cells showing how the Ohmus were animated

This is an amazing video and I always encourage anyone to look back into the animation process. Cel paintning was far from fun and I'd likely be wearing glasses had that ever fallen on me. Nausicaa had some incredible animators working on this process. Some sites list Toei but others list TopCraft...to pinpoint the near dozen animators...you'd be looking at TopCraft. TopCraft worked on Lensman the movie and also Mazinger Z (some episodes; not all). However, trivia here...TopCraft animators were also working for Rankin-Bass for movies like "The Last Unicorn" as well as TV shows like Thundercats and Silverhawks in the 1980's. Thanks for this share bud!

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Well this is kinda embarassing.
Turns out the "dude" in the video is none other than Toshio Okada, also known as "Otaking".

He has an Youtube channel, and in some of his videos he explains classic anime movies.
The video snippet above is from this video. Unfortunately it's all in japanese.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Well this is kinda embarassing.
Turns out the "dude" in the video is none other than Toshio Okada, also known as "Otaking".

He has an Youtube channel, and in some of his videos he explains classic anime movies.
The video snippet above is from this video. Unfortunately it's all in japanese.

Okada is the real deal. Miyazaki probably hates him but liked seeing that he'd worked screenwriting on Gunbuster and Otaku No Video.

I'm subbing to that channel for sure. He has an incredible video library and it appears he also reviews Hollywood movies, video games and...fast food. It's real fun but a tip for those non-fluent. Subs with auto-translate to English -- it's about a 60% interpretation but it works somewhat. Looks like in this birthday video he has a number of NeoGeo games behind him...among other cool things.

Top Bottom