• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

Unless you're someone actually collecting all of the games on a console, saying that you have "completed" your collection for a system basically says that you don't care enough about the platform, or game collecting/playing in general, to look deeper into the system's library for any more obscure titles you don't know of.
That is a pretty rude way of putting it dude, putting judgement on people as 'being a crap collector'. Some consoles have completely digestible libraries.

I literally have every Virtual Boy game I want and know all the games I do not have, and do not want them. I don't need space taken up with crap games. I'm almost at the same level with NGPC, Super Cassette Vision, Sg1000 and Mark III.

Famicom, PS1, Super Fami, PC Engine etc sure, they will never be complete. But some can be.

That is a pretty rude way of putting it dude, putting judgement on people as 'being a crap collector'. Some consoles have completely digestible libraries.
I wouldn't use a term like that! Did you read my post before that one, where I explain what I meant by that with a lot more words? See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225144537&postcount=5993

I've seen these "my collection for [X] popular console is complete now" posts all the time, and there's no way there aren't more games for those systems that most such people would like if they were interested enough to look more. If your collections are complete because you don't want to collect games anymore, okay, that's fine. But claiming "I have all the interesting PS1 games, all two dozen of them" or something, to make up an example... hah!

Seriously, it is exactly because I'm a collector who now has so many games that is why I so greatly doubt it when people say this kind of thing; there's usually something interesting out there that you haven't heard of...

I literally have every Virtual Boy game I want and know all the games I do not have, and do not want them. I don't need space taken up with crap games. I'm almost at the same level with NGPC, Super Cassette Vision, Sg1000 and Mark III.
Yes, and in my first post on this issue I mention the 32X CD for exactly this reason -- systems like that one, or the NGPC, SCV, SG-1000, Virtual Boy, that have very small libraries? Yeah, it's easy to know about all the games for one of those systems. I agree.

Famicom, PS1, Super Fami, PC Engine etc sure, they will never be complete. But some can be.
But there are some people who would say this about pretty much any console. Maybe saying "I have all the [NES/PS1/whatever] games I want, all 15" is more an attitude for the person just wanting to buy the games they remember playing for that system as a kid than for the serious collector, but you see it all the time.

RetroGAF types probably do. People here probably have a really good sense for what's worth looking into on a given system.
But there are posts all the time in these threads by people, some regulars, who have never heard of some game others probably would consider common or well-known. I agree that people into retro gaming are much more likely to know more than other people would, but no one knows of everything, there are too many games out there!

Yeah, I don't think it's too bad. The only exceptions would be a couple of the shmups, and Super Street Fighter IIX.
Those are some big, and high-quality, exceptions. I'd love to own actual DC copies of games like Border Down, Cannon Spike, and Under Defeat, for example! There are other pricey games for the system as well, too...

There's fun in trying something new but unless you have a system that sold gangbusters you can run out of stuff you're interested in pretty quick on a lot of consoles. These are systems where you maybe saw a few hundred releases max. Like I could pretty easily tap out on Master System, N64, WonderSwan, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Wii U.
A couple hundred games is a decent-sized library for many people, though, if a fair number of those games are worth playing... but even for the collector, it's so much easier to buy games than to find time to play all of them (instead of doing things like wasting it all on the internet... :p)

The issue of when a library is "tapped out" is in interesting one though, and a hard one to judge. If you only want the most highly acclaimed games it's easy, but I've often found lesser-known titles to be really good, so I'd never take that approach, it can lead you astray. You need to look at everything, which, even with a library of "only" a few hundred games, isn't so easy.

For example, consider my favorite console, the N64. I currently have 206 N64 games, or a bit over half of the 380-something released worldwide. I've "only" gotten 23 N64 games over the past two years, but even if I have the best titles now some of those newer purchases are pretty interesting too. But even though there are some diminishing returns there, does that mean that I have all of the interesting N64 games? No! There are still some I really want but don't have, both US releases and Japanese, such as Stunt Racer 64 and Last Legion UX to name a couple. Or outside of actual games, even though it's near-useless today, the super-weird and uncommon Mario no Photopi thing sure is interesting...

So yeah, when someone says "I have all 20 good N64 games", I think they just aren't looking very hard and just want to stick with what they know / are nostalgic for (and that really is okay, you only have so much time after all!). It's either that, or they dislike the system as a whole and don't care to play the rest of the library. I know most people won't want to buy mediocre or even bad games sometimes like I do, but you never know if you'll like something or not if you don't take that chance and I at least find that worthwhile.

Seriously, it is exactly because I'm a collector who now has so many games that is why I so greatly doubt it when people say this kind of thing; there's usually something interesting out there that you haven't heard of...

It's great that you want to collect. I think there's a certain joy to the chase and being able to reach out and grab literally anything is a nice feeling.

But most of us just aren't in it for that. I try to only buy games that I'm actually going to play. For a system like Wii U, just to avoid something retro, realistically there aren't more than say 40 games I would ever sit down and play in like a complete experience, avoiding stuff I could own elsewhere. That's a respectable library for any system. At some point, it's OK that I'll run out of new Wii U games that I really want to buy and I can just move my focus somewhere else. Just like it's OK for me to go "yep I have every WonderSwan game I'm ever going to want, and I can stop looking for those ugly carts the next time I'm rifling through handheld carts at HardOff."

PS2 Retro_GAF, I have some questions about FreeMcBoot. My PS2 laser is starting to show it's age, so I figure its time to bite the bullet and just rip my entire collection to a hard drive. I've tried doing some googling but not getting anything updated.

Does anyone have a good tutorial link for ripping my PS2 collection on a PC?

I don't want to tax my PS2's laser any more than it needs to be. Plus I hear doing it that way is slow as shit. I've got a lot of games to rip (talking around 120).

I know I'll need to patch my import games to play from the HDD, which is fine.

bodine1231

OMG OMG. I fucking missed out on a deal of a LIFETIME by a couple days. Dude was selling a Neo Geo AES with 13 games(all the metal slugs) for $300! Called him up and he said someone already picked it up yesterday. Just my luck.

Peltz

OMG OMG. I fucking missed out on a deal of a LIFETIME by a couple days. Dude was selling a Neo Geo ARS with 13 games(all the metal slugs) for $300! Called him up and he said someone already picked it up yesterday. Just my luck.

Damn... dude didn't know what he had.

fester

Banned
PS2 Retro_GAF, I have some questions about FreeMcBoot. My PS2 laser is starting to show it's age, so I figure its time to bite the bullet and just rip my entire collection to a hard drive. I've tried doing some googling but not getting anything updated.

Does anyone have a good tutorial link for ripping my PS2 collection on a PC?

I don't want to tax my PS2's laser any more than it needs to be. Plus I hear doing it that way is slow as shit. I've got a lot of games to rip (talking around 120).

I know I'll need to patch my import games to play from the HDD, which is fine.

I ripped all my PS2 games ages ago, but I recall doing it on my PC with a dvdrom drive and a program called iso creator (or maybe iso producer?). It was pretty easy and less hassle than my Gamecube discs.

OMG OMG. I fucking missed out on a deal of a LIFETIME by a couple days. Dude was selling a Neo Geo AES with 13 games(all the metal slugs) for $300! Called him up and he said someone already picked it up yesterday. Just my luck.

Even @ $300 the buyer made out like a bandit, nice.

Galdelico

I can't believe anyone today, owning Metal Slug AES and not having a clue about it. And for 300, including and AES console and 12 more games? Come on...

bodine1231

I can't believe anyone today, owning Metal Slug AES and not having a clue about it. And for 300, including and AES console and 12 more games? Come on...

Here's a pic from the posting

01414_6YNNZNr1eeR_600x450.jpg

Peltz

Dude must've really needed the money. I am pretty floored that someone who owns AES games would be that clueless as to what they were worth.

Khaz

Buying overseas is a real pain when the stuff doesn't work. I bought some cheap but rare PC hardware from a US shop, but it was faulty and I had to send it back. Now being e-mailed a tracking number I asked their customer support what was up: it turns out they looked at it, deemed it was fine and sent it back to me without even telling me. The thing will still be faulty obviously and now that I asked for some explanation, I understand their testing process didn't test the flaw I spotted. Now I have faulty hardware sent back to me, which I'll have to send back again (more expenses!) or just sit on it. sigh

Olly88

Haha. Reading it I was thinking scam. Who seriously has a big NG collection with no idea of its value? These things have never, ever been cheap.

Yeah seeing something like that on a classifieds site would definitely seem a bit fishy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So, here's a fun question:

Is there a system that you consider your collection "complete" for?

I don't think I'm particularly close on any of mine. I've got nearly all the PS1 RPGs I want, but I'm still a good 20 or so games away from having all the games I want for the thing.

It's not retro, but I'm probably closest on 3DS and Wii U at this point. I honestly have to wonder whether completing my library for a system would be more liberating or depressing, though. The chase is fun, right? But it might be cool to actually arrive at the finish line, too.

I actually think Im closest with the PS3, since the multiplatts generally run better on the 360, and very few of the exclusives appeal to me. I have most of the Tales-games, the Yakuza-games and so on, and only game I think i miss is Folklore.

Timu

I actually think Im closest with the PS3, since the multiplatts generally run better on the 360, and very few of the exclusives appeal to me. I have most of the Tales-games, the Yakuza-games and so on, and only game I think i miss is Folklore.
TBH, that was true for the 1st few years, but overtime PS3 got equal to it and sometimes even better than 360.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
TBH, that was true for the 1st few years, but overtime PS3 got equal to it and sometimes even better than 360.

Very few are better. Sure there are some, but pretty late games like Skyrim (2011) run like shit on the machine. And while many games were almost equal late in the game - you are still more safe by just getting them on the 360.

Of all the multiplat games I have from the gen, only Dark Souls 1&2 are for the PS3, since I didnt want to pay for Xbox live to get the passive mp-stuff.

Peltz

A few weeks back I played and beat Paper Mario on N64 - phenomenal game. I loved it. It was just a tad too easy, but I can't complain really. I'd give that game a solid 8/10.

Since then, I've been replaying The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. And wow! I've only played through the game once before and that was years ago on Virtual Console. This is my first play through on real hardware and on my PVM.

The gameplay really is something else. I don't really understand how they executed the game so perfectly so early in the console's lifecycle. Every single object and tile in the game's world is laid out so artfully while also to making the "level design" (for lack of a better term) flow so well. The art style is also perfectly drawn and everything has a phenomenally consistent look. In that sense, I'd say this is one of the most coherent and well designed games I've ever played.

When I first started the game, it reminded me a lot of the footage from Breath of the Wild. Like there was this whole world of possibilities before me where anything can happen. And the sense of discovery in the game is so rewarding. I'm really not sure how Nintendo released such a lush and modern-feeling game in 1991.

A Link to the Past really set the template for what a Zelda could and should be. There's absolutely nothing in that game that seems unnecessary and the gameplay hits all the right notes.

ALTTP was my first Zelda (actually 2 was but that doesn't really count) and I can't go back to the first game because of it. While I think it is more vast and has more secrets, it just seems to be missing a lot for me. I also can't control Link well in it and die all the time.

Peltz

Wow... I never really played many SE games. They're just so darn long. Should I check out FFX?

I'd like to play it on PS2 on my CRT for authenticity and all that jazz... is that still worth playing or should I just spring for an HD port?

Wow... I never really played many SE games. They're just so darn long. Should I check out FFX?

I'd like to play it on PS2 on my CRT for authenticity and all that jazz... is that still worth playing or should I just spring for an HD port?

all the cool kids know XII > X

I picked up brand new in box game gear which arrived today, and it's in amazing condition, both the screen and sound are flawless, no symptoms of bad caps.

..but there is a bit of a downer, the original owner decided to wrap the console in bubble wrap before placing in storage and as a result the lense appears to be covered in surface scratches. : [

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on supplies of replacement glass lenses, it would be a terrible shame to return a console in otherwise mint condition.

Oh, and do you think it best I replace the caps now or wait until I see the warning signs?

I say keep that one minty/original and buy a second game gear and cap kit to repair for fun. I've seen people replace the LCD with a more modern one that looks way better too. The minty one will be worth more to a collector later on if you don't mod it or replace the caps or anything.

If you really want to use that one you could use Novus to polish up the screen. It takes a while to get good results but that Novus stuff does work great. I used it on my NGPC.

Top Bottom