• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

entremet

So what are your 2017 retro gaming plans, retro-GAF?

I got a NES last year, but I've mostly been on the Wii VC, which is excellent.

But next year, I plan on getting:

Super Nintendo
Genesis
GB

And fill out the libraries there.

I'll also continue completing my VC library.

BTails

My 2017 Retro gaming plan is... To play more retro games. It's been tough to find time with a newborn in the house. I think it's going to get a bit easier as she gets a bit older, so I'm hoping to get a bit more time with my setup next year.

I have some time off work coming up in December around Christmas, so I should be able to get an earlier start!

My 2017 Retro gaming plan is... To play more retro games. It's been tough to find time with a newborn in the house. I think it's going to get a bit easier as she gets a bit older, so I'm hoping to get a bit more time with my setup next year.

Is your newborn that needy? Mine's been so easy. I cleared my calendar for this but I ended up having way more time than I thought. Him being asleep 17 hours a day and feeding most of the rest kinda helps.

I managed to clear REmake in a bit over a weekend spending most of my time with him. Had to pause quite a bit and take some unexpected breaks but still.

BTails

Is your newborn that needy? Mine's been so easy. I cleared my calendar for this but I ended up having way more time than I thought. Him being asleep 17 hours a day and feeding most of the rest kinda helps.

I managed to clear REmake in a bit over a weekend spending most of my time with him. Had to pause quite a bit and take some unexpected breaks but still.

She hardly naps during the day, so my wife is always overwhelmed while I'm at work. So I'm out of the house from 7:30am to around 5:00pm at work, then I take over Dad Duty when I get home. We can usually get her asleep around 8:30ish, so then I have a couple hours before getting into bed. At that point I'm usually spending time with my wife, not in the basement playing retro games, hehe.

Weekends I usually get a few hours to play games, but I tend to play stuff on my PS4, as I can quickly put that into Sleep mode if something happens.

Timu

My 2017 retro gaming plans are:

Get more Sega Saturn games

Maybe get an retrousb AVS

A new capture card to do literally everything(mine does most things)

To get an alternative to the Sync Strike for RGB capture, like scart female to female and then scart to vga(already have a scart adapter with audio out)

Since I already have a N64 everdrive, I may look into some others

If possible, a framemeister(50/50 chance though)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Happy Thanksgiving? Is that a thing we retro homies do?

I bought my subwoofer earlier today. I'm thankful for that, too. Not gonna be for retro games, per se, but it's in the pursuit of a killer gaming setup.

Yes indeed, Happy Thanksgiving. As I said in the NES thread, I'm thankful for the retro community here on GAF. Great resources and conversation.

BTails

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the Retro threads! Being Canadian, I celebrated Thanksgiving last month, but at least today with the US holiday, my boss is letting us wear jerseys and jeans in the office.

Seriously though, these Retro threads are what make GAF for me. You guys are all so awesome, and I love chatting about the classics with everyone. Plus, I've learned about so many hidden gems this way!

KC-Slater

Because it's not Thanksgiving without SOTN turkey...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
31204527895_3119452950_b.jpg

Bought this stuff a couple of days ago. Sorting through a wall of GBC games, the majority of which I knew nothing about, was taking too long, so I bought pop'n then a bunch of cheap nonsense. Pocket Densha owns though.

Going to get Beatmania and maybe a Wizardry title later.

31204527895_3119452950_b.jpg

Bought this stuff a couple of days ago. Sorting through a wall of GBC games, the majority of which I knew nothing about, was taking too long, so I bought pop'n then a bunch of cheap nonsense. Pocket Densha owns though.

I've never seen that GBP color. Pretty sweet match to the more common GBC.

Is Pocket Densha better than the Desha De Go GB ports?

bodine1231

Guys the Krikzz 20% off sale has started. Picked up an SD2SNES,Mega Everdrive X3,Turbo Everdrive and Everdrive N8 NES. Been waiting for this sale for a while now,couldn't pull the trigger on the N64 though,not enough games I'd want to play.

https://krikzz.com/store/

Happy Thanksgiving Retro-GAF =)

i'm so confused, which snes everdrive is the one to get? (never looked into this) so far only brought original carts.

It depends a lot on what games you want to play on it. I think the biggest difference between models is how many chips it includes support for. The most expensive one can play Mega Man X 2 and 3 or things like this.

If you just want to use it so you don't have to dig through your library or some other reason
*wink wink*
, then the cheaper one is probably good enough.

It depends a lot on what games you want to play on it. I think the biggest difference between models is how many chips it includes support for. The most expensive one can play Mega Man X 2 and 3 or things like this.

If you just want to use it so you don't have to dig through your library or some other reason
*wink wink*
, then the cheaper one is probably good enough.

i see, i guess megaman x2 x3 are special. thanks man!

Happy Thanksgiving Retro-GAF =)

i'm so confused, which snes everdrive is the one to get? (never looked into this) so far only brought original carts.

I just ordered the Super Ever Drive with the DSP chip upgrade. The 20% discount pretty much just negates the upgrade fee. It can play the vast majority of games. I didn't feel it was worth twice as much for the SD2SNES. Was $92 shipped.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the Retro threads! Being Canadian, I celebrated Thanksgiving last month, but at least today with the US holiday, my boss is letting us wear jerseys and jeans in the office.

Seriously though, these Retro threads are what make GAF for me. You guys are all so awesome, and I love chatting about the classics with everyone. Plus, I've learned about so many hidden gems this way!

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Happy thanksgiving Retro-Gaf!

So what are your 2017 retro gaming plans, retro-GAF?

We had a similar comment in the Retro-AV thread. I'll expand on my comment from there. I need to get my HiDefNES kit installed, along with finally getting my Atari 2600, and 3DO RGB modded. I'll definitely do the Atari one myself. Outside of that with my Jaguar and AV Famicom pick ups last month I am set on consoles I want, outside of just the SuperGrafx. I'm not sure if I'm going to make finding one of those a 2017 goal though.

I need to build custom cabinets for my gaming set up though. With currently 19 consoles hooked up, plus the receiver, framemeister, switches, HDDVD player, and cable box, there's just no room for expansion. Plus it looks super cluttered. So a big 2017 plan is to get the custom cubbies/cabinets I designed actually built.

Outside of that its to finally launch the youtube channel with my friend that I've been planning and working on content for all of last year.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Just got these this morning

Fleet Commander VS. ownz.

D.Lo

Retro gaming plans are my only gaming plans.

Apart from Nintendo which feels like retro anyway.

I think I'm probably done with early stuff for now (Colecovision and earlier). So I will be 1983-2005ish focused for a while.

dock

Seriously considering buying the Everdrive for my PC Engine, especially so I can play TG16 games in English!
The PC Engine is the only retro console I have, these days.

Another question: what's my best option for a backlit Gameboy Color these days? Should I get the GBA 101?

I never actually heard the MSU-1 in gameplay, the music is awfully loud compared to the sound effects, which you can barely hear. Kind of disappointed.

I don't know much about MSU-1 since my everdrive is super basic but I imagine that is probably an issue created by whoever made the hack. I'm sure someone could make a properly mixed version that would sound better.

As for me, I'd rather just listen to the songs generated by the standard soundchip.

TeaJay

Automatic region patching is a huge plus compared to the cheaper version on the SD2SNES, fast loading and more game support sealed the deal to me. Later I've also used the MSU-1 patches but the aforementioned points were most important to me. (but both super metroid and link to the past patched are friggin' beautiful.)

Automatic region patching is a huge plus compared to the cheaper version on the SD2SNES, fast loading and more game support sealed the deal to me. Later I've also used the MSU-1 patches but the aforementioned points were most important to me. (but both super metroid and link to the past patched are friggin' beautiful.)

What does automatic region patching mean? Does that mean it applies translation patches?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Gonna be spending the next 12-odd hours debating whether or not I want to pick up a Famicom Everdrive while it's on sale.

I want one, but it's not the most urgent thing I need to be purchasing at the moment. Arg.

A shame the RetroUSB AVS isn't on sale. :p

Sweet, bought a Turbo Everdrive and an Everdrive 64 v3.

Man my credit card company thought this order was so shady.

Apparently even though I've ordered from Krikzz before, as well as a lot of online international orders, a several hundred USD order from a Ukrainian site tripped a lot of red flags on their end.

So this is better everdrive? =) is it on sale?

TeaJay

What does automatic region patching mean? Does that mean it applies translation patches?

I have a 50/60hz modded PAL SNES and in some original carts I get the "this game pak is not designed for your system" etc. errors having to reset and flick the switch, which the automatic region patching removes completely. I can play games from every region on the right speed without doing anything extra. (this on SD2SNES) Most of the game roms I play are SFC or NTSC so it's useful.

Man my credit card company thought this order was so shady.

Apparently even though I've ordered from Krikzz before, as well as a lot of online international orders, a several hundred USD order from a Ukrainian site tripped a lot of red flags on their end.

Same thing happened to me. I just had to confirm via an automated phone call. At least you know the system is working.

it will let you play PAL games on NTSC systems and vice versa.

I have a 50/60hz modded PAL SNES and in some original carts I get the "this game pak is not designed for your system" etc. errors having to reset and flick the switch, which the automatic region patching removes completely. I can play games from every region on the right speed without doing anything extra. (this on SD2SNES) Most of the game roms I play are SFC or NTSC so it's useful.

Oh, I see. It's for 50 Hz peasants.

TeaJay

Oh, I see. It's for 50 Hz peasants.

Says someone who can't afford a premium product.

But really, you're paying for convenience. You'd think something like faster load times is something you don't mind, but it's surprisingly annoying waiting around. It was a no-brainer for me, I mean, I was already buying three flashcarts at the same time, might as well get the best ones I could. But again, YMMV.

I would suppose that the SD2SNES might get Super FX support in the future too, if Krikzz can work it in.

Says someone who can't afford a premium product.

But really, you're paying for convenience. You'd think something like faster load times is something you don't mind, but it's surprisingly annoying waiting around. It was a no-brainer for me, I mean, I was already buying three flashcarts at the same time, might as well get the best ones I could. But again, YMMV.

I would suppose that the SD2SNES might get Super FX support in the future too, if Krikzz can work it in.

If they ever get Super FX in one of these things, I might buy another. But really, I don't like the SNES as much as my Sega consoles so it will be a while before I consider it.

Decided to go ahead and get the SD2SNES after initially thinking I'd get the Super Everdrive. Held off on getting anything else, though.

Top Bottom