• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

TeaJay

If they ever get Super FX in one of these things, I might buy another. But really, I don't like the SNES as much as my Sega consoles so it will be a while before I consider it.

Don't take my quip seriously though, after all, your mockery was quite uncalled for too! (at least we got the RGB scart in our TV's! ... but then again, had to give the advantage back with 50 hz games ... )

Right after I bought my Mega Everdrive, Krikzz updated his selection: now there's X7 and X5 and X3 and all kinds of choices! I think what I have is the X7. Again, I just got the one with most features, thinking that if I'll be really annoyed if in the future there'll be an added feature that'd be really useful.

Don't take my quip seriously though, after all, your mockery was quite uncalled for too! (at least we got the RGB scart in our TV's! ... but then again, had to give the advantage back with 50 hz games ... )

Right after I bought my Mega Everdrive, Krikzz updated his selection: now there's X7 and X5 and X3 and all kinds of choices! I think what I have is the X7. Again, I just got the one with most features, thinking that if I'll be really annoyed if in the future there'll be an added feature that'd be really useful.

Yeah, no biggy. I've had my Everdrives for years. When I bought my Mega Everdrive, I think the only choices were regular and with Sega CD backup RAM. Since I already had a Sega CD backup cart, I just got the regular one. I'd buy a new one today but I told myself that I can't buy any more unnecessary things until I get back from Japan next year since I've spent too much moving and building up my game room (see the retro game room thread if you're interested).

50 Hz man. I wish we had native RGB but I don't know how you guys lived with that. You got Terranigma though so it evens out.

TeaJay

50 Hz man. I wish we had native RGB but I don't know how you guys lived with that. You got Terranigma though so it evens out.

We didn't really know any better back then. I remember wondering about the wasted screen space and games that ran really slow, but I didn't see american or japanese versions until I was an adult, and then it blew my mind. On the NES side a lot of the later games were PAL optimized, but some of the early ones - worst offenders being Probotector, Mega Man or Castlevania - were really badly slowed down. Playing Sonic 1 first time on my 60hz modded Megadrive was an eye-opening experience.

Some people still prefer the originals. They are the ones who want to experience games just as they were when they were young, and a big part of it are the PAL B - area SCN area coded carts and games, like they sold here in Finland. And a lot of them even nowadays still don't know any better!

televator

Does Nintendo periodically restock refurbished hardware? Looking to a Wii U and since Black Friday retail is looking like a bust...

So my girlfriend went to visit her family for thanksgiving and won't be back till Monday. So what does a guy like me do on a Friday night when she's not home.......rip my PS2 collection to my file server since my SATA adapter for my PS2 NA came in. All while re-watching MLiG's RGB videos.

So I'm going to ask this here too, because I remember someone mentioning it but not who. So I know Import PS2 games need to be patched to run off a hdd with freemcboot. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or how to on doing that? My googling isn't turning up any helpful links. I'd like to do it as I slowly work through ripping them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm going to ask this here too, because I remember someone mentioning it but not who. So I know Import PS2 games need to be patched to run off a hdd with freemcboot. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or how to on doing that? My googling isn't turning up any helpful links. I'd like to do it as I slowly work through ripping them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AFAIK you don't need to patch them if you're running off OpenPS2Loader + a hard drive.

You do need to ESR patch if you're trying to run a burned disc.

So with the issues with the 8bitdo PCB and its diagonals, is there any other wireless option out there for retro games worth a damn?

I know the Xbox One and DualShock 4 are considered pretty decent, but they don't give me the feel I am looking for.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
We didn't really know any better back then. I remember wondering about the wasted screen space and games that ran really slow, but I didn't see american or japanese versions until I was an adult, and then it blew my mind. On the NES side a lot of the later games were PAL optimized, but some of the early ones - worst offenders being Probotector, Mega Man or Castlevania - were really badly slowed down. Playing Sonic 1 first time on my 60hz modded Megadrive was an eye-opening experience.

Some people still prefer the originals. They are the ones who want to experience games just as they were when they were young, and a big part of it are the PAL B - area SCN area coded carts and games, like they sold here in Finland. And a lot of them even nowadays still don't know any better!

My impression is that a lot of my fellow norwegian collectors simply have no clue about the 50hz stuff, and they dont want to touch ntsc-games at all. The magical "scn"-markings on the other hand, is what they are all after for some strange reason, raising scn-marked Nes-games to ridiculous levels here.

Saoshyant

I imagine this is a good thread to ask about this: can any retrogaffer in Europe help me figure out what sort of voltage step-down converter I need for this power adapter, plus where to buy a quality one?

j2W7H9s.jpg

Help me live the dream and ride my Rolls-Royce to victory.

entremet

Speaking of Repros. Personally, I don't really like them since they use up stock of other titles.

It's already legally questionable. Just go everdrive. But it's sad hearing about certain games getting gutted for repros.

Speaking of Repros. Personally, I don't really like them since they use up stock of other titles.

It's already legally questionable. Just go everdrive. But it's sad hearing about certain games getting gutted for repros.

The world is better off without all those Top Guns.

linkboy

What's the best way to clean the contacts on NES games.

I picked up a RetroUSB AVS (great system, btw) and every one of my NES games works except for my two copies of Super Mario Bros. It's really frustrating.

My area has had a glut of repros recently. You'll find things like Final Fantasy V, which is whatever since it was never released here anyway.

But some people are trying to sell things like repros of Earthbound or other such nonsense. At that point, let's call it what it is: bootlegs.

linkboy

My area has had a glut of repros recently. You'll find things like Final Fantasy V, which is whatever since it was never released here anyway.

But some people are trying to sell things like repros of Earthbound of other such nonsense. At that point, let's call it what it is: bootlegs.

I'll buy a repo if it's a game like Terranigma or Seiken Densetsu III, games that haven't had an official US release at all.

For something like FFV, I won't (seeing as I can play the game on many other systems).

What's the best way to clean the contacts on NES games.

I picked up a RetroUSB AVS (great system, btw) and every one of my NES games works except for my two copies of Super Mario Bros. It's really frustrating.

I usually open up my carts, and start with like a mechanical pencil eraser going up and down the length of the contacts (not across but with the grain if you will) on both sides. Then I grab a q-tip and the highest concentration of rubbing alcohol I can find and putting just a bit of alcohol on the q-tip I go up and down the contacts again. Then I use a dry q-tip just to finish everything up. Usually one round of this makes most games work.

Khaz

But some people are trying to sell things like repros of Earthbound of other such nonsense. At that point, let's call it what it is: bootlegs.

It's like saying you can't read Alice in Wonderland unless you own the original edition.

Khaz

Terrible analogy since Alice in Wonderland is public domain.

I chose it especially as it's in public domain. Anyone can make their own Alice edition, and no one complains that it's not the "pure" original one. You can find cheap editions printed on terrible paper with the bare minimum, you can find beautiful editions with hardcovers and commentary, and anything in between, made by people who have nothing to do with Lewis Carroll and his heirs.

The only difference is in the rights, but it doesn't matter when you buy your stuff off ebay where none of the rights holder get any of your money. The only people making money off original editions are the resellers.

more like using a printer to print out a copyrighted book and then selling it as an alternate version.

What about reimagining the story and putting it on film?

Fularu

Banned
I chose it especially as it's in public domain. Anyone can make their own Alice edition, and no one complains that it's not the "pure" original one. You can find cheap editions printed on terrible paper with the bare minimum, you can find beautiful editions with hardcovers and commentary, and anything in between, made by people who have nothing to do with Lewis Carroll and his heirs.

The only difference is in the rights, but it doesn't matter when you buy your stuff off ebay where none of the rights holder get any of your money. The only people making money off original editions are the resellers.

What about reimagining the story and putting it on film?

This is irrelevant. Those works aren't in the public domain and as such, you'Re not allowed to make bootlegs (or to purchase them) whatsoever.

I understand you're doing some heavy mental gymnastic to justify your position but in the end, let's call a spade a spade and call repros bootlegs.

Khaz

This is irrelevant. Those works aren't in the public domain and as such, you'Re not allowed to make bootlegs (or to purchase them) whatsoever.

I understand you're doing some heavy mental gymnastic to justify your position but in the end, let's call a spade a spade and call repros bootlegs.

I'm fine with people calling all repros bootlegs. I'm calling out the hypocrisy of people saying that some bootlegs are less ok than others.

My personal opinion is that repros are ok. I don't go draw a line in the sand saying some games shouldn't be reproduced because of some specifics of the original.

I didn't know repros reimagine the original game. That's pretty cool, thanks for letting me know !

Quoting you

more like using a printer to print out a copyrighted book and then selling it as an alternate version.

Khaz

yes, as in "EARTHBOUND REPRO". Which is different from "EARTHBOUND", in so far as one is illegal.

Of course. All repros are illegal. I'm calling out people who rank repros depending on whether the original had specific properties, like not being published in certain countries or in certain languages.

Of course. All repros are illegal. I'm calling out people who rank repros depending on whether the original had specific properties, like not being published in certain countries or in certain languages.

You're probably referring to me here, since I was the original person who brought it up.

You're right,all repros are illegal and I am being hypocritical by staying some are worse than others. I guess I can just justify it to myself* that one is okay.

I guess I just can't see why someone would even want one. If it's a game that was originally unavailable in English it can be a fun novelty to actually play on the original hardware, but why do it with something g that's already available?

* In theory, anyway. I've never actually purchased a repro anyway, and I have no plans on doing so.

I think grey market repros/bootlegs are pretty lame but I've resigned not to really shitpost people for wanting them.

The line between repro and bootleg still really bothers me. It's straight up painful to buy proper GBA games on ebay because of the huge number of fairly high quality bootlegs.

Not necessarily any more. Unless a game needs a special chip like SuperFX it's not too hard these days to do repros without donor carts.

IrishNinja

yeah, wish id've discovered everdrives before going in on some repros, but i get people wanting them - it's only not okay when they don't know what they're buying

while we're calling spades & all: buying an expensive copy of snatcher off an ebay reseller doesn't give a dime to anyone involved, and morally you've done nothing better than someone who burns a copy to experience the game.

if you bought a copy when it was new on shelves in the day, that's cool. everyone else on their high horses needs to fall back - and no, no one cares about the legality of long-dead IP's either.

while we're calling spades & all: buying an expensive copy of snatcher off an ebay reseller doesn't give a dime to anyone involved, and morally you've done nothing better than someone who burns a copy to experience the game.

if you bought a copy when it was new on shelves in the day, that's cool. everyone else on their high horses needs to fall back - and no, no one cares about the legality of long-dead IP's either.
By the same token, those who accept repros should accept piracy, then.

I find people are pretty individual and generally irrational about the whole thing. Not that I'm not, but nonetheless. It's not a question of what's logical or reasonable necessarily.

IrishNinja

By the same token, those who accept repros should accept piracy, then.

I find people are pretty individual and generally irrational about the whole thing. Not that I'm not, but nonetheless. It's not a question of what's logical or reasonable necessarily.

i'm okay with that as well, i just think if people are on about morality, a distinction should be made between currently available stuff and basically vaporware. for instance: if you emulated/bootlegged earthbound at any point, i think that's fine, but if you have a WU you should feel compelled to buy it on the eshop now that it's available. same with previously lost stuff like NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes etc.

Go to some game conventions then. I swear almost every single one I've been to has had at least 2 booths with tables loaded with repros. Specially for anything SNES or Genesis.

i mean, they're openly on ebay sometimes, ive met local dudes who make em and sites like etsy are loaded. it's only weird places like nintendoage that get selective about them.

IrishNinja

yeah, Terranigma's one of the first ones i went after, beautiful game. i really should just emulate Star Fox 2 one day & be done with it!

I've actually been heavily browsing the NES section of OCD Reproductions website. Huge selection of nice titles. I am a collector - I don't shy away from the label - and I love having physical objects related to my fave collecting passion (NES). And as a collector, I prize the real thing. I'd never want a repro of a real game. But if I can get a game that was never translated or never actually released on the console (like, say, VS Super Mario Bros) then I'm all about the repro cart.

D.Lo

The only repros I would get are Star Fox 2 and USA Terranigma, since neither can be bought
I don't see the equivalency?

Star Fox 2, yep.

Terranigma? A PAL copy and a converter works, so yes it can be bought. If 'In my language but a minor inconvenience of being out of region' makes pirating something okay then PAL land can sail the high seas of the hundreds of games they were denied.

I wish I could, but them being frowned upon so much makes them difficult to obtain. :(

You can find very high quality reproduction carts from multiple Etsy storefronts.

I have obtained Castlevania Bloodlines and Alien Soldier from a particularly good one and will be using them again in the future.

Fularu

Banned
The only repros I would get are Star Fox 2 and USA Terranigma, since neither can be bought

You can buy Terranigma in English.

The translation is great btw. So you really don't need to pay for a repro, may just as well flash it on your Everdrive (if you have one).

Or you could buy the Japanese release and flash the english one I guess (or purchase that repro, if you really want to have a dedicated cart for it)

Edit : I even have a brand new sealed copy of the PAL release if you want. Cam't be more legit than that!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Edit : I even have a brand new sealed copy of the PAL release if you want. Cam't be more legit than that!

Do I even dare to ask... how much does a sealed Terranigma go for?

EDIT: Also, the reason I am more interested in a US Terranigma repro is 60hz and full screen, I recall PAL version has got those sad borders but maybe I'm mistaken..?

D.Lo

Do I even dare to ask... how much does a sealed Terranigma go for?

EDIT: Also, the reason I am more interested in a US Terranigma repro is 60hz and full screen, I recall PAL version has got those sad borders but maybe I'm mistaken..?
That's not how games of that era worked. If played on a 60Hz console, the game is 60Hz. Only a few PAL SNES games were PAL optimised (pretty much only first party games) and all SNES games play with correct music speed in either 50 or 60Hz.

As I recall the thing about Terranigma and region isn't that it will not play properly in 60hz, but that the euro version of the game needs to be started up in 50hz for it to even start, as well as it having region locking. Only reason why I "know" this is that years and years ago I remember looking into how to get the cart itself to work on my system and it was a process of 2 system switches, a region one and a hz one. Or to track down one of the action replay carts that had 2 cart slots. It also wouldn't play on any of the "play any game" clone systems that were out at the time.

I do have a pal cart of it but still would pay for a good repro. Think I'm better off getting one of those flash carts though instead.

Khaz

I do have a pal cart of it but still would pay for a good repro. Think I'm better off getting one of those flash carts though instead.

I litterally found out about them yesterday, but http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/terranigma-complete-box-set-p-550.html seems to make very good products. Terranigma for the USA is shipped with "Terranigma Game Pak, Box, Huge manual, Terranigma Map, Terranigma Poster, Flashback Poster, Misc. Poster, Trading Cards". I don't have a SNES yet, but I'll order quite a bit of their products when I do. I'm in Europe but I'd get that Terranigma instead of the original one, because 60Hz but also the whole packaging.

Top Bottom