• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I made the mistake of entering the challenge room once... never again.

Thanks for the tips on the ether. I'll try to make sure I always have about 9 saved for each run just in case.

Just don't get confused between Ether and malignant shit. Not sure why they didn't make it golden/yellow instead of purple.

saintjules

Anyone find this guy?

Ui6uhhP.jpg

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ixion was so easy compared to Phrike. I had a Hollowseeker 7 and just spammed it while going around in circles. Boom, done.

Second enemy that appears in world 3 - big ass robot with ginormous head - knocks me down and destroys me in 2 seconds.

I know exactly what you mean

Big Boy Starz GIF by Power

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To get to biome 2, do you have to run through the first one to get to the door everytime?

Just go to this door:

Returnal_guide_door_types.jpg

You see the one on the right? Rectangular with a circle above, that's your door for the next biome. If you reached biome 3 and got the grappling hook you can go straight from 1 to 3 using similar door (usually next to the boss door) to climb to the 3rd biome straight away.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Just go to this door:

Returnal_guide_door_types.jpg

You see the one on the right? Rectangular with a circle above, that's your door for the next biome. If you reached biome 3 and got the grappling hook you can go straight from 1 to 3 using similar door (usually next to the boss door) to climb to the 3rd biome straight away.
Yeah, its still annoyingly far. Not at 3 yet so no hook :(

I made the mistake of entering the challenge room once... never again.

Thanks for the tips on the ether. I'll try to make sure I always have about 9 saved for each run just in case.
I used the challenge rooms to gauge myself to see if I was ready for the next biome or not.

Also, you'll miss out on some very good artifacts/weapons if skip some challenge rooms.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
They are too expensive at 6 ethers. Especially since they spawn you back at the reconstructer and reset the boss. And they only spawn you in the world where you purchased it. I died at the second boss and because I had no health items left, it was pretty much pointless to go back and take the boss on again.

I wish they worked like the figurine.

Id say use them on the ether portal by the ship because it supposedly adds new items to your loot pool.

yeah I am going to ignore the reconstructors. Total waste of ether.

if you die at after using your astronaut and medkits you are basically screwed

drotahorror

I used the challenge rooms to gauge myself to see if I was ready for the next biome or not.

Also, you'll miss out on some very good artifacts/weapons if skip some challenge rooms.

I always do them. I want the currency and weapon trait XP. I'm just in the process of leveling the weapon traits so I'm pretty much always leveling shit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Boss 3 killed. Once again, had to gun in with a level 5 gun that was doing very little damage which made the fight go on forever. the final phase took so long he pushed me back 3 times. then i died twice so had to go all the way back 5 times. so frustrating!

That healing on low integrity perk really helped me survive those final few killing blows. Had a parasite that revived me but gave me two malfunctions, one of which triggered enemy counters on every hit so had to dodge those as well lol. this game really fucks you some time.

Recorded the final phase for posterity.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I beat the game, but I don't know the answer to this question because I always put the PS5 in rest mode.

If you beat the second biome and then decide to turn off your console, do you have to beat the first boss over again or do you restart your progress at the second Biome?

I'm confused because people are saying they lost all their progress and they have to start from the very beginning when their game crashed.

SlimySnake

Beat Boss 4. Leach Rounds on a carbine with rising pitch is a healing machine. every time i got hit, i healed up almost instantly. its the health regen build.

TBH, this is the kind of perk that shouldve been in the loot pool of every single gun in Act 1. Wouldve made bosses so much easier. especially since bosses dont have any health drops.

I actually think weapon perks shouldve been purchasable. They can really be the difference between a good weapon and bad one.

Overall, good day today. I really dont want to die with this build in Biome 5, but that seems to be the hardest biome so I guess It's only a matter of time.

SlimySnake

I beat the game, but I don't know the answer to this question because I always put the PS5 in rest mode.

If you beat the second biome and then decide to turn off your console, do you have to beat the first boss over again or do you restart your progress at the second Biome?

I'm confused because people are saying they lost all their progress and they have to start from the very beginning when their game crashed.
you start at the ship crash every time, and then you have to find the portal to go to world 2. sometimes its only a few rooms into world 1, sometimes its much further in, but yes, if you die you start at the very beginning.

DonJorginho

Banned
Best-Cry-Ever.gif

Reading this hurt my soul. I’d be so mad.
wow, that's bad.

how hard to put autosave into the game?(to save every 5min, 1min or whatever..) these type of games should have one.
I just beat the game without a single crash. I feel your pain though. If that happen to me I would have quit the game.

What hurt most was that this was the first crash I have encountered, I heard of many people facing crashes during long playthroughs and was happy that I hadn't encountered one yet, so it was demoralising to finally get one.

It was a proper hard crash, froze the game, waited 45 minutes to see if it would unfreeze, pressing every button and trying everything, but nothing improves. I then reluctantly decide to close the game which proceeds to hard shutdown my PS5 into safe mode, forcing me to repair my drive and when the PS5 turns on I get a nice "this application/game crashed" notification for Returnal.

So yeah..... I am loving this game but now I've experienced this once I don't wanna experience it again, so won't be playing until this is fixed, now I'm back at work after the bank holiday weekend my time playing is even more precious so can't afford to risk a run being killed in the name of bugs.

Orpheum

Loving it so far. Got my ass handed to me 3 or 4 times in the first biome before it really clicked. cleared the second biome in one run and died around halfway through the third. Had one crash during my first run but that's it. I love the fact that you can continue exploring the previous biomes with a fresh run so i'm never scared if i missed anything.

The only real bummer for me is that it seems like the store messed up and didn't send me a code for the pre order suits, really would have loved to switch outfits in between runs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Biome 3 is child's play compared to Biome 5, now THAT is insane.

Laugh Laughing GIF by Gotham

Ok now I see, you guys are stuck at the snow area. Well, I think it's kinda easy but you guys are fucking throwing yourself directly in front of the enemy. Run back and hide, pull them towards you one by one. I don't remember dying at all there and it was challenging at one spot AFAIK.

Wait until you go to the 6th and start collecting the 3 keys. That's where the fun is. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

DonJorginho

Banned
Ok now I see, you guys are stuck at the snow area. Well, I think it's kinda easy but you guys are fucking throwing yourself directly in front of the enemy. Run back and hide, pull them towards you one by one. I don't remember dying at all there and it was challenging at one spot AFAIK.

Wait until you go to the 6th and start collecting the 3 keys. That's where the fun is. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Oh no that bit is easy, it's when they lock you in with tons of enemies or when you have to face those elder fuckers who obliterate your healthbar.

Plus I believe if you die to the final boss in biome 6 you have to restart the whole thing from biome 4 right? So it makes it even more stressful.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh no that bit is easy, it's when they lock you in with tons of enemies or when you have to face those elder fuckers who obliterate your healthbar.

Plus I believe if you die to the final boss in biome 6 you have to restart the whole thing from biome 4 right? So it makes it even more stressful.

Yes, but my 2 only respawns in the ship where pretty early in the 1st biome, after that it was a marathon from 1-6. I think that made me OP and not fair for the enemies.:messenger_winking_tongue: I remember enemy hits take pretty little from my 200% health bars because I stacked a lot of these 15% protection. This one as well:

ReturnalItem-Artefact.jpg

I usually go for tank builds.

Why should we do daily challenges? I didnt get any rewards the last time i played.

It's just a leaderboard stuff after you're done with the game.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
100%, enjoyed that fight which was pretty much the easiest but his funky moves like a Maestro was hilarious.
Oh 100% him and Phrike are the easiest bosses, but Hyperion just has such a great atmosphere and is such a unique boss encounter, Hyperion is the perfect mix of spectacle with enough challenge so you can't just not pay attention to him and shoot blindly.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh 100% him and Phrike are the easiest bosses, but Hyperion just has such a great atmosphere and is such a unique boss encounter, Hyperion is the perfect mix of spectacle with enough challenge so you can't just not pay attention to him and shoot blindly.

Just checked how I am vs the world, I'm number 40th in the world to have finished the game, but it was unfair because many got it so early on:

bo-returnal.png

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Did anyone of you get the sidekick AI shooting with you? I really don't know from where that came or is it related to an augment or the weapon perks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom