• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

JeloSWE

Yeah, that’s rough. I avoid all of the scouts. The risk is too high. I have also found that purchasing the astronaut is a waste. Saving ether and spending it on the reconstructor has been much more effective.

I used to struggle with the backstabbing severed. Keeping your distance, holding on to a dash for once you have been targeted, and using the trackerswarm secondary liberally helped me in figuring out their rhythm.
Reconstructor is good for the level run but Astronaut is best for boss battles as you don't lose the progress on it's life bar.

FrankWza

Reconstructor is good for the level run but Astronaut is best for boss battles as you don't lose the progress on it's life bar.
I agree with this fallingdove fallingdove .
Even if it’s specifically to respawn in biome 6. You still have to make it back to the boss AND you lose your progress on the boss battle. You could have had him down to his last half bar or sliver and the astronaut lets you finish him off.

Entroyp

I finished the whole game yesterday evening in a single run. Man, I just love this game and I’m glad I didn’t quit in frustration during my first runs. I almost never die now but even then the game finds a way to make things challenging on every run.

I hope HM keeps making games like this in the future.

Viva la PS5!

Last edited:

fallingdove

I agree with this fallingdove fallingdove .
Even if it’s specifically to respawn in biome 6. You still have to make it back to the boss AND you lose your progress on the boss battle. You could have had him down to his last half bar or sliver and the astronaut lets you finish him off.

I think the only use case though is if you have a boss REALLY close to death. If you are only on second form, you still have to utilize repair consumables to try and get through the remainder of the battle. I would still rather use obelites for augments than the astronaut their benefits last much longer for the same price.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Shhh, Housemarque might be listening to us discuss these exploits. :messenger_hushed:
Hide Help GIF by ADWEEK

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A little burned? WTF was I supposed to do after 5 hours and I always go to biome "easy" door, the one with portal and now with the friggin update I get 2 backstabbing severed instead of the normal single (whioch is normnally reserved for the boss fight of the area) which I couldnt run away from and used all my consumables and still lost both my astro and my life what a fucking waste of time tonight....making it waaaaaaay harder for non shooter gamers like me felt downright cruel. I came to rely on the old game for certian things...the oblite machine being one and the fucking scouts not turning into the deadliest monster inthe game either. FUCK these devs are hardcore. For those that want a better "challenge" they are catering to you guys for sure.

Yes the scouts used to be much easier, they've been buffed in a crazy way. I think the game got harder a bit. Died 3 times when tried to make a walkthrough in biome 3, the hardest biome imo. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: Rea

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Stuck for day in biome 3.....grind for hours 1/2 to get better weapons etc....to get killed in 3 :(

It's literally the hardest out of all biomes I've faced. Although died once at the boss then came back with the reconstructor to finish it back when I've beaten the game. Tried to make 100% fresh starts in biome 3 yesterday and got killed 3 times. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

JeloSWE

I think the only use case though is if you have a boss REALLY close to death. If you are only on second form, you still have to utilize repair consumables to try and get through the remainder of the battle. I would still rather use obelites for augments than the astronaut their benefits last much longer for the same price.
There is one more argument for an Astronaut, it stays with you throughout multiple Biomes while Reconstructor is only valid for the one you deposit in, it may end up cheaper to buy one of them early rather than spend Ether in each new Biome.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What in the hell is up with the Scout challenges being super-hard bosses that you'd normally encounter near the end of the game (I'm referring to a Scout in Biome 1 maybe 2 doors in when I had a level 0 Pistol)? Housemarque needs to balance these Scout encounters to make them worthwhile, it's clearly a waste of time to fight a "malformed" enemy to get 4 stupid Ether.

2AdEPT

Good news about the game: it doesn’t crash anymore. I played for 6 hours last night and not one single crash. I was even using the bonus suits and nothing. Super stable. I was fucking around all over, did the challenge, went through world 4, 5 and 6 several times and all good.

Bad news: Ophion still hates me.

Question: should I just grind world 4 and then move on to 6 or the best strategy is to also grind 5? 5 is kind of tricky with the waves of severed and I end up losing some health there.

I’m just not clicking with Ophion which is weird because everyone here says it’s the easiest boss of the game. I get lost between hitting the orbs and all the purple rays and eventually don’t know what I’m doing anymore. Nemesis was a cakewalk.
as others mentioned at least get the free stuff at the start of 5 then drop in the hole if you wish....on a side note has anyone determined a use for the hidden star/ball platforms in the
red door area
at the start of 5? what gives? Once you lot the chest thats' it isnt it?
Aren't there two options to disable? Have you disabled both?

Auto Update Settings
thanks, apparently I didnt know about the second set...too late now me thinks LOL. Unless they advertise they are adding more scouts to boss battles and they arent optional or someting ><
Rolling credits. It’s all about the weapon you bring in, yes. Hollowseeker and 2 health packs and it’s all good.

I think you are right. I was all about protection my first go and I lasted a half hour, but did no damage with the electropylon driver I had and eventully died on phase 3. Had low health to start and no heals to boot although a couple greenies dropped..... Its not like I couldnt figure out the orbs etc. The bar just moved too slow compared to what I am seeing from the rest of you. I realize the numbers are useless as the stats within are spread over three domains, but what damage level in number of dots do you think is enough? They dont explain how EPD works either, you would think the duration with half a bar of dots for damage would be better than high damage but low duration, but I dont know their crazy algorhythm and dont explain it obviously. No wikis yet I assume?

I realise the damage itself was awesome in the video, but dat portal beam honing in on the targets!!!!!!!!!! Might also be a good answer to those backstabbing severed fuckers...I have beaten them multiple ways, EPD webs, even melee stunlock, but bad RNG or one simple mistake can ruin a whole run with those asses!
Then don't do them from the get-go? I only do them when I'm geared up.
Sold! to the person in an 8 bit wolf suit...LOL Notwithstanding huge agreement on my part in NOT pressing to get more ether (which I realize is their way of saying you want obs you pay 10 ether and earn it!) But twice I thought the scout just exploded without me touching it, and another time I intended to PAY 3 ether to see hwat I would get as the first time I tried that I got the wrist watch/ Subsequent payments were NOT worth it and once I presed the wrong button and died so I think ignoring the scouts completely is in order.

I still seem to find enough ether without scouts and even pay 10 for the piddly 100 extra cause thats usually all I need to get my preferredbuiuild going with whatever bullshit they randomly throw out there (2 way radio and damaged robot show up I dance around the room lke and idiot) but I'll take the usual repair efficiency or damage if it shows up also. Just need that final 100 or so for the major heal and then its off to 5 to die...happended 3 times now when realistically, I would have likely killed Ophion without all the BS in 5. I think I might just do it tonight although I gotta make sure I get a good weapon unlike last time (whch I have always neglected thinking they are vitually all the same in damage etc.)

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
as others mentioned at least get the free stuff at the start of 5 then drop in the hole if you wish....on a side note has anyone determined a use for the hidden star/ball platforms in the
red door area
at the start of 5? what gives? Once you lot the chest thats' it isnt it?

thanks, apparently I didnt know about the second set...too late now me thinks LOL. Unless they advertise they are adding more scouts to boss battles and they arent optional or someting ><

I think you are right. I was all about protection my first go and I lasted a half hour, but did no damage with the electropylon driver I had and eventully died on phase 3. Had low health to start and no heals to boot although a couple greenies dropped..... Its not like I couldnt figure out the orbs etc. The bar just moved too slow compared to what I am seeing from the rest of you. I realize the numbers are useless as the stats within are spread over three domains, but what damage level in number of dots do you think is enough? They dont explain how EPD works either, you would think the duration with half a bar of dots for damage would be better than high damage but low duration, but I dont know their crazy algorhythm and dont explain it obviously. No wikis yet I assume?

I realise the damage itself was awesome in the video, but dat portal beam honing in on the targets!!!!!!!!!! Might also be a good answer to those backstabbing severed fuckers...I have beaten them multiple ways, EPD webs, even melee stunlock, but bad RNG or one simple mistake can ruin a whole run with those asses!

Sold! to the person in an 8 bit wolf suit...LOL Notwithstanding huge agreement on my part in NOT pressing to get more ether (which I realize is their way of saying you want obs you pay 10 ether and earn it!) But twice I thought the scout just exploded without me touching it, and another time I intended to PAY 3 ether to see hwat I would get as the first time I tried that I got the wrist watch/ Subsequent payments were NOT worth it and once I presed the wrong button and died so I think ignoring the scouts completely is in order.

I still seem to find enough ether without scouts and even pay 10 for the piddly 100 extra cause thats usually all I need to get my preferredbuiuild going with whatever bullshit they randomly throw out there (2 way radio and damaged robot show up I dance around the room lke and idiot) but I'll take the usual repair efficiency or damage if it shows up also. Just need that final 100 or so for the major heal and then its off to 5 to die...happended 3 times now when realistically, I would have likely killed Ophion without all the BS in 5. I think I might just do it tonight although I gotta make sure I get a good weapon unlike last time (whch I have always neglected thinking they are vitually all the same in damage etc.)
Yeah, the portal beams are total op for Ophion. I knew they would be effective but not like this.

Good luck, man. Parasites for protection also help a lot. Luck plays a massive role with what you get on a level. My build was super robust when I reached Ophion. And like someone said before, health packs are a much better deal than astronauts, so buy that.

Story packs some unexpected emotional punches by the end.

Off to Act 3 and see how good I am on the way to platinum.

Final verdict, this is a 11/10 for hardcore fans of Quake and Metroid. I’m on that group and super thankful the game exists. Games that hit me like this only happen once in a decade. Last time it was the original Demon’s Souls. And before that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. And before that Quake.

Last edited:

Dynomite

I fell so hard off this game. At release I played it for a couple days and get to biome 2. Then I died a bunch and put it away. I've never liked roguelikes before. Hades did get my attention enough to beat Hades, but not enough to keep making runs. I am thinking that the appeal of Roguelikes (new gear/skills each life) isn't for me. I don't like replaying the same levels without making real progress, but I do love Dark Souls.

Dr Bass

Just finished it. I think the patch might have made it easier. I was having some trouble with Biome 6, and I just demolished it on my first try back. Either that or taking a few days break did me some good. It could have been that too because I felt like I’ve known how to finish it, just couldn’t execute right. And I played super defensively this go around.

In a word I think the game is brilliant and that includes the story. I like the psychological aspect of it and basically feels like a scifi silent hill with some of the best action arcade gameplay I’ve played in years and years. Combine that with fantastic settings, genre defining sound track, smart use of musical cues …

This game is a 10. I don’t think they should add a mid game save. I’m a really busy guy and was able to beat it.

Highly recommended.

tommib

Gold Member
Do you guys have theories on
Ophion showing a human face on its last phase? Is that Selene’s face or her son?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Really depends how strong you are. I had a run with a bunch a dmg multiplyers and beat them in like 5 seconds. That was pretty fun!
It's not a matter of how quickly you can kill them, it's about how fun it is to fight them like true mini bosses in the game or even stronger and more agile regular enemies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It's not a matter of how quickly you can kill them, it's about how fun it is to fight them like true mini bosses in the game or even stronger and more agile regular enemies.
I've done all biomes multiple times and the severed from dead scouts is one of the toughest mini-bosses in the game. The "tentacle" mini-boss is very easy though, I'll give you that.

Con-Z-epT

I finally found the last scout log and obtained the platinum trophy. YES!

I want to use the opportunity and thank my mum and my dad for always supporting me.
My girlfriend who spend countless nights alone in the bedroom while i was saving the universe.
Huge shout out to Octo! He is the real star of the show. I could not have made it without him. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I wanna end my post with a quote from the great Bartski Bartski .

"I can rest now."

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

I want to use the opportunity and thank my mum and my dad for always supporting me.
My girlfriend who spend countless nights alone in the bedroom while i was saving the universe.
Huge shout out to Octo! He is the real star of the show. I could not have made it without him.

I wanna end my post with a quote from the great Bartski Bartski .

"I can rest now."
Proud of you, man. I won’t have time to continue act 3 anytime soon but, and god is my witness, I will get this platinum. It will be my 4th one: Shadows of the Damned, Demon’s Souls and 🤷🏻‍♂️ Dirt 5.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I fell so hard off this game. At release I played it for a couple days and get to biome 2. Then I died a bunch and put it away. I've never liked roguelikes before. Hades did get my attention enough to beat Hades, but not enough to keep making runs. I am thinking that the appeal of Roguelikes (new gear/skills each life) isn't for me. I don't like replaying the same levels without making real progress, but I do love Dark Souls.

Same here, liked Returnal but not enthusiastic about replaying the same levels with molecule achievements/progress. My view of the genre is still the same.

Con-Z-epT

Proud of you, man. I won’t have time to continue act 3 anytime soon but, and god is my witness, I will get this platinum. It will be my 4th one: Shadows of the Damned, Demon’s Souls and 🤷🏻‍♂️ Dirt 5.
Thanks. I sensed that it is taking to long for the log to spawn so i checked YouTube again and found this.

After i did this it spawned instantly.
Ridiculous! I could have found it 40 hours ago. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But i don't mind since the gameplay is ace.
I will continue to play. Usually i delete games after the platinum trophy. Returnal is this good.

FrankWza

I'm sorry that you can't play this beautiful game, but jealousy is not the answer, you should grow up.
The only way I can deal with his posts is to think he’s 12. He has to be 12. And then it’s ok.
People feel a need to shit on this game yet, it’s more active than the RE8 ot that is multiplat release and launched after this game. Someone posted a link of this game being “finished” in 5 minutes the other day . Everything had been unlocked.
one day, the puzzle will shift and I will happen upon this great find. And I too shall shout…

I can rest now

MrS

Banned

fucking love this game

Hate to see the director of the game wasting his time on dumb shit like this when he should be rallying the troops and getting patches made and deployed. Priorities all wrong imho.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Hate to see the director of the game wasting his time on dumb shit like this when he should be rallying the troops and getting patches made and deployed. Priorities all wrong imho.
I would say that after the last patch with the game being ultra stable there’s nothing else to patch for some time. Let Krueger enjoy his release for a bit. They did a horror sci-fi masterpiece after all.

tommib

Gold Member
A month after release? One would hope so.
A month? Not very good at math, are you?

Game was released on April 29 and has had the following patches since:

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.3
May 5, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.4
May 6, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.6
May 8, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.7
May 19, 2021

So, the last patch to iron out all issues causing instability was released precisely 3 weeks after original release. The game is rock solid at this point. Compare that to, I don't know, Cyberpunk that is still an endless bug-fest 7 months after.

MrS

Banned
A month? Not very good at math, are you?

Game was released on April 29 and has had the following patches since:

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.3
May 5, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.4
May 6, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.6
May 8, 2021

RETURNAL PATCH 1.3.7
May 19, 2021

So, the last patch to iron out all issues causing instability was released precisely 3 weeks after original release. The game is rock solid at this point. Compare that to, I don't know, Cyberpunk that is still an endless bug-fest 7 months after.
You missed out 1.3.5. I wonder why...

Top Bottom