• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal's peak player count is 5642 on Steam!

spons

Gold Member
60 euros for a port somewhere down the line is too much, because that price stinks of 'new release'. If this was both on PS5 and PC together, day 1, it would've made sense. Now it absolutely does not.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
60 euros for a port somewhere down the line is too much, because that price stinks of 'new release'. If this was both on PS5 and PC together, day 1, it would've made sense. Now it absolutely does not.

To be fair this more like what PS6 users will get in 2027 if Sony chooses to upgrade their PS5 copies.

JeloSWE

The game is seriously good, well worth the 60€. I already own it on PS5 and am tempted to double dip.

Ogbert

I'd give that game a solid 10/10. It has an amazing atmosphere and extremely good feeling controls and really fun and challenging combat.
Fair enough.

I didn’t take to the atmosphere - I’m not a fan of that sort of Giger inspired alien aesthetic.

Great controls.

Hated the malignancy mechanic. I’d say its one of the worst mechanics I’ve seen added in recent games. Zero build variety.

Calverz

Fair enough.

I didn’t take to the atmosphere - I’m not a fan of that sort of Giger inspired alien aesthetic.

Great controls.

Hated the malignancy mechanic. I’d say its one of the worst mechanics I’ve seen added in recent games. Zero build variety.
Yea I see what you mean about the malignancy mechanic. I basically just ignored it entirely after first few deaths.

JeloSWE

Fair enough.

Great controls.

It's a mechanic that isn't mandatory in any way so you can choose to not engage with it, I see it a something extra for you to possible enjoy, thus I kind of liked it.

It's a gamble mechanic at its core which is what makes it exciting, you can either get something really good from a parasite but you won't appreciate it as much unless there is some risk to it. The way I approached it is, if I'm early in a run then I'll take some risks, if they become too bothersome I'll just kill myself and nothing is lost. If I'm later in a run and am about to die any way then the risk might be worth it.

Getting malignant from an attack is definitely not fun but it also adds to the dread of those enemies. Unless things aren't hard core they don't become as exhilarating.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Yea I see what you mean about the malignancy mechanic. I basically just ignored it entirely after first few deaths.
Same. Buts that’s why it’s so bad.

All the possible run variation is locked behind a stupidly punishing gating mechanic. Bafflingly bad design choice.

I’d rather the game was even harder but there was no malignancy. That way, it could be a genuine roguelike and you’re waiting for the stars to align.

Kikorin

I'd have expected a great reception from the PC fanbase, but since it's priced so high, I'm not surprised by these numbers.

PC players are not used to spend so much for a game, especially for one that have an "indie" feeling like this one (compared with games like TLoU or GoW). Probably with future discounts could have some legs.

Last edited:

Shakka43

If someone mod it to not be rogue like I'll buy it right away lol. The game plays like a dream but I have no patience for start all over games. Even a quick save anywhere cheat would pull me in.

Rush2112

Banned
Maybe people enjoy rpgs more than rogue like shit?
Game has bare bones story, repetitive levels and is basically arcadey AF. That might have influenced peoples decisions to not waste time and money on it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I bought it as soon as preorders were up, but i ALMOST didn't bother to install it as 1) i already have so many unfinished games (juste finished FF7 remake last night!), 2) Stutters talk at launch day.

But i did install it and play. Glad i did.

Don't put too much trust in concurrent users is what i'm saying. We have no idea if peoples bought it on preorder but are playing the wizard game now or something else.

sainraja

I have the game on the PS5, so I have no plans on getting it for the PC. The game is mechanically solid and felt nice to play but I still couldn't get into it. I will give it another go sometime and hopefully it will click. I just want to be able to keep my guns after finding them lol. I wish they had worked that into the story somehow.

EDIT
Man, some of you really have nothing better to do. The narrative of PC gamers somehow being a gauge of a game's quality needs to die. A game does not change simply because of the platform it is on, and the audience doesn't exist in a vacuum; some people have most likely already played it. It just looks a bit sad, like how much damage did people talking about Sony games do to some of you? (I know, I know—the in-between exists too; if that is you, I am not talking about you.)

Last edited:
Don’t think we have actual numbers yet, but I never expected Returnal to really blow up on the PC especially at that price. Honestly, I’m not quite sure the PC demographic is the right audience for some of these PlayStation games. Having a ton of competition probably isn’t helping either. New games release literally daily now and I’m sure there are plenty of backlogs out there. We’ll see how it performs in the long run though.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

t1ALlDx.png

Do you think it will reach 6K?

Returnal is probably my second favorite game Sony has ported to PC after God of War 2018.

It's not for everyone, but for those who it clicks with will love it. I don't expect it to every get massive numbers, but I do expect these numbers to continually rise after word of mouth.

ZehDon

this is the key. Returnal is a great game as it is. it dosen't need to be fixed or to add content. exists forever as a great game that could sell well down the line.
If it bombed at launch, it’s dead. The sales will trickle along, but that’s it. Sonys strategy of charging more for less two years later doesn’t work on PC. They’ll burn game after game they until they pull their heads out of their ass.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If it bombed at launch, it’s dead. The sales will trickle along, but that’s it. Sonys strategy of charging more for less two years later doesn’t work on PC. They’ll burn game after game they until they pull their heads out of their ass.
i am not talking about from the perspective of sony. i am talking about just as a complete, finished videogame; there is no need to spend resources on it anymore (like Gaas/Broken, unfinished, unpolished games)

returnal exists in the world and is time to move on.

decisions

The game is seriously good, well worth the 60€. I already own it on PS5 and am tempted to double dip.
Same. Double-dipping to support Housemarque and gameplay-focused titles in general.

Also, there are no other monetization schemes present. They even added excellent free DLC to the game. Therefore, I find the argument that this game is not $60 or even $70 in the current landscape to be laughable.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I have some performance issues after the last update but I love this game. It's harder than Dark Souls, if you rush it. But when you play it slowly, plan your moves carefully, you're in for a treat. Biome 3 awaits me, after 13 hours of play. Don't give up on this game folks, we need more games like this. Come on, we can make it pass 6000 concurrent players.

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have some performance issues after the last update but I love this game. It's harder than Dark Souls, if you rush it. But when you play it slowly, plan your moves carefully, you're in for a treat. Biome 3 awaits me, after 13 hours of play. Don't give up on this game folks, we need more games like this. Come on, we can make it pass 6000 concurrent players.

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC
I strongly disagree, in this game you need to always move, it is almost a reaction only game.But I do agree that I used to play like you at the beginning of the game but once the "flow" of the game clicked with me it was amazing, dashing slicing and shooting with the guns that suits your playstyle can be exhilarating.
Trust me play by instinct, disconnect your brain and just react because in this game

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I strongly disagree, in this game you need to always move, it is almost a reaction only game.But I do agree that I used to play like you at the beginning of the game but once the "flow" of the game clicked with me it was amazing, dashing slicing and shooting with the guns that suits your playstyle can be exhilarating.
Trust me play by instinct, disconnect your brain and just react because in this game

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment
When I say plan your moves, I mean what malignancy you will use, which doors you will enter, which wars you will fight and which ones you will escape from. Otherwise I'm jumping here and there in "always run" mode. And play slowly means, don't skip previous biomes quickly to reach where you die, strengthen your character first.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
When I say plan your moves, I mean what malignancy you will use, which doors you will enter, which wars you will fight and which ones you will escape from. Otherwise I'm jumping here and there in "always run" mode. And play slowly means, don't skip previous biomes quickly to reach where you die, strengthen your character first.
Oh my bad then I totally misunderstood what you meant.
Yeah this game is awesome I won't spoil what can still awaits you jsut that there is a fight that is somehow connected to music and that this particular put me in a trance like state.It was awesome and no game ever did this to me before.Tell me when you get there (if you haven't already) how it was for you.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

So, were they put it on sale for $40 a few months down the line nothing's going to change? And if not why would it be doing that much better than it's doing right now at $60. I mean, its not like its getting the benefit of a massive marketing push is it?

And I'm sure Sony are just fine with this. Porting an existing first-party game to PC is a highly cost-efficient way of putting a high quality product out into a secondary marketplace. And make no mistake, it is very much a secondary market/revenue stream.

Launching a game on Playstation is way more valuable to Sony per unit sold than selling on PC, so expecting them to undersell the value of their titles by putting them up for cheap day#1 on PC would be extremely stupid. Even at price parity with PS5 they are taking a hit because its not on their storefront, so it obviously behooves them to position every release at a premium price-point. They can chase volume sales (via discounting) later because its all just gravy for them.

GrayChild

The game has remained consistently in Steam's top sellers over the past few days:

sEs4156.png

And that's not even counting the EGS sales.

Also, let's not forget that Returnal sold only 560,000 copies on PS5 during its first 3 months:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ole-in-Sony-Interactive-Entertainment-History

I know a lot of fanboys are very salty that PC players can also try Returnal now, but:

1. The game is still going good.
2. Sony's PC ports are not going anywhere.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Oh my bad then I totally misunderstood what you meant.
Yeah this game is awesome I won't spoil what can still awaits you jsut that there is a fight that is somehow connected to music and that this particular put me in a trance like state.It was awesome and no game ever did this to me before.Tell me when you get there (if you haven't already) how it was for you.
I'm nervously trying to jump over the bullets with full attention, I hope I can hear the music when that moment comes:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Schmendrick

The game wasn't worth its full retail price on ps when it released and re-releasing it on pc two years later at full retail price again.... Well

Last edited:
There's some weird cheerleading that goes on around here.
After being here for a little while now, I get the feeling that the facade has finally dissolved. At first I thought this community was somewhat sophisticated, but now I see it's just like every other gaming community: festering in its own fanboy filth.
homer simpson GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Launching a game on Playstation is way more valuable to Sony per unit sold than selling on PC, so expecting them to undersell the value of their titles by putting them up for cheap day#1 on PC would be extremely stupid. Even at price parity with PS5 they are taking a hit because its not on their storefront, so it obviously behooves them to position every release at a premium price-point. They can chase volume sales (via discounting) later because its all just gravy for them.
It's already cheaper on PC.

The regular price of Returnal on Steam is $70 CDN. On PS it's still $90 CDN.

Top Bottom