• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Tengoku Community Thread - Hey Baby, How's It Going?

daydream

Banned
Who the hell started a Rhythm Heaven thread without me? Why start it in community and not gaming? All gaming official threads are eventually moved to gaming after a month IIRC.

I started the thread in Gaming which is where it still resides as we speak, so.. not sure what you're talking about. :)

Thanks for your work on Rhythm Heaven Silver btw! As you probably saw, I repped it in the OP. Really great effort from everyone involved.

llehuty

Who the hell started a Rhythm Heaven thread without me? Why start it in community and not gaming? All gaming official threads are eventually moved to gaming after a month IIRC.

Huh?, it was created in gaming and it's still in gaming. Also, not necesary to be agressive about someone else passionate about the game creating this thread.
I'm assuming it's joke, but I'm just guessing

Any reason why the title "Rhythm Tengoku" was chosen for the OP? Tengoku = heaven or paradise. You shouldn't leave it in Japanese.

Well, the first game was released only in japanese, so the fans are more used to that name (at least that's my case). Having two different names in english doesn't help much also.

image.php

I'm an XL guy myself but.. any pics of that Rhythm Tengoku faceplate? Or is that wishful thinking? :p

I think an RT theme would be the only thing that could overthrow Hanafuda for me. Well, aside from the Sega Classics theme out in JP.
Very wishful but given how successful the series has been in Japan I'd be shocked if there wasn't one, and I'd be shocked if I didn't set the record for "Fastest Amazon.JP preorder" in history once it goes up!

Timeless

I've wanted to import the Rhythm Heaven t-shirts that fall out of Japanese UFO catchers (claw machine-style games). But they're Japanese M size, which means they probably wouldn't even fit a US-medium-shirt-wearing person, let alone someone bigger. :(

I did manage to get imports of Tengoku and the Japanese version of Rhythm Heaven DS. Plus I own the US DS game and 1 of the Wii. All I need is the arcade game (yeah, right) and a Japanese copy of Fever. The PAL copy is nice too, from what I've seen.

The arcade game is awesome. Probably better than the GBA version. An arcade in San Francisco's Japantown has it. If my family wasn't pressuring me to move on, I would have stayed there all day and beaten the game multiple times. That SF arcade is quite expensive though, I think one play (around 3 songs unless you got a perfect?) was $1.

From my brief experience with it I know there's one extra set of games that is the same as the first column, but at double speed and with different graphics.

Awesome! Any way to patch in the english translation on a genuine cart? Would love to give it a go.
It should run on an EZ Flash IV or something similar (EZF Expansion pack - requires DS flashcart). Most of my RH GBA experience is on an emulator, but I found my EZF4 recently and need to get up and running with the translation. Nothing beats real hardware for a rhythm game, but the emulation experience is fine. I use VBA-M and VBA-rr (basically identical).

There has been one production run of the Mother 3 translation on a real cart, and countless bootlegs of various games marked as official by shady eBay sellers.

The actual Tengoku cart, like all(?) GBA carts is not rewriteable with standard tools. I think the term for what could rewrite GBA carts is NOR flasher, but I'm quite unsure if that's true.

I started the thread in Gaming which is where it still resides as we speak, so.. not sure what you're talking about. :)

Thanks for your work on Rhythm Heaven Silver btw! As you probably saw, I repped it in the OP. Really great effort from everyone involved.
"Community thread" in the title + me not noticing the thread in gaming. I screwed up. Sorry about that. It was exacerbated by me not proofreading it as I frantically wrote what I wanted to say before I went to class.

My rant about RH Silver wasn't directed at you, rather others. It's a cool game and when people say there's no point to the text I wonder if we're playing the same series. If it weren't for the humor I wouldn't like the series as much.

Also, not necesary to be agressive about someone else passionate about the game creating this thread.
I'm assuming it's joke, but I'm just guessing
"Who the hell started it without me" is a joke. There is/was no restriction on me making a general RH thread, so if I come across as bitter about the mods' decision, that is not the intended meaning. I am quite happy the thread exists, and had zero intention of making a Rhythm Heaven general thread.
Well, the first game was released only in japanese, so the fans are more used to that name (at least that's my case). Having two different names in english doesn't help much also.
RH DS sold the best, and had a huge marketing campaign in the USA. I argue that "Rhythm Heaven" is the most distinctive name - "Rhythm Paradise" is clearly related in some way (so Euro-GAF wouldn't get confused) and any Japanese speaker would read "Rhythm Heaven" and think "リズム天国" or "Rizumu Tengoku".

The series isn't called Rhythm Tengoku. There's no Dansu Dansu Reboryūshon community thread.

Yes Boss!

RH DS sold the best, and had a huge marketing campaign in the USA. I argue that "Rhythm Heaven" is the most distinctive name - "Rhythm Paradise" is clearly related in some way (so Euro-GAF wouldn't get confused) and any Japanese speaker would read "Rhythm Heaven" and think "リズム天国" or "Rizumu Tengoku".

The series isn't called Rhythm Tengoku. There's no Dansu Dansu Reboryūshon community thread.

Geesh! I'd let it go, lol. This game/series is almost universally noted as Rythym Tengoku. Community Thread is aptly named.

Dr. Buni

I never see people referring to the series as Rhythm Tengoku outside of GAF. It is always Rhythm Heaven. The thread title doesn't bother me, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there somewhere where I can just read the translation of Rhythm Tengoku without the patch, since I don't have a flash card for GBA games just the original game?

Always been interested in what all those messages I unlocked say.

I always refer to it as Rhythm Tengoku series since from a European perspective the series is
Rhythm Tengoku
Rhythm Paradise
Beat the Beat

With no consistency and having started with the GBA game it's easiest for me.

mktrOOp

Banned
Nice coincidence that I see this thread. Right now I play Rhythm Paradise (bought it new for 2€) and the music is so catchy. Also I love the characters.
But the best thing is to feel the tension while trying to get a perfect medal. So satisfying when it goes well!

I think I'll get Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise soon.

As I said in the annoucement thread, I need this.

I hope that any remix songs that get localized are done as earnestly as they were on the Wii. While I still prefer the Japanese songs a little more in that version, the Wii localized songs felt way less forced than the ones in the DS game. I can load up both versions of I Feel Fine and it feels like I'm going down the highway at 80 on a summer evening.

There's just so much unfiltered joy and fun in the games in this series. I struggle to think of a series that came out in the last 10 years by Nintendo that I love more, and the only other that comes to mind is the Ouendan/EBA games. Those were better at providing technical challenge (Jumping Jack Flash and Sekai wa Sore o Ai to Yobun da ze on the Hardest settings are among the most intense moments I've had in gaming), but the atmosphere and pure fun of the Rhythm Heaven games is hard to beat.

I wonder how expensive the localization is. On one hand there isn't that much text compared to some meatier options, but on the other hand, redoing the songs can't exactly be cheap. I just hope the eShop option keeps the doors open for this localization. I feel like currently these games are basically cult classics out west.

Do we know if the latest title has been confirmed for physical release? This may be the first title I import to use the 3DS region free hack with.

Without a doubt one of my favorite video game series of all time. The original GBA game is also to date the only game I have deemed important enough to import from japan, and I'm so glad I did. :)

I started with the DS game, going in thinking it would be casual shovelware considering the beyonce commercial. My god. The only other series to completely blow my expectations was the Ace Attorney series.

Though Rhythm Heaven wasen't my first exposure to rhythm games. My experience goes as far back as 1997's PaRappa The Rapper and its 2001 sequel.

Fever is my favorite entry, with Tengoku my second favorite. DS game will have a special place in my heart but... buttons > touch.

My favorite sub-games include Crop Stomp, Lockstep, RT Remix 5, Rap Men/Women, Love Rap, Air Rally, and how can I not love RingSide.

So Rhythm Heaven badges are out on the 3DS Badge Center! Now you can enjoy the Ringside Wrestler flexing or Barista being cute on your 3DS home screen. If you have a Japanese 3DS.

Interestingly, the only other Nintendo series with badges so far are Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing. Rhythm Heaven getting that A-tier franchise treatment!

daydream

Banned
When will we get that badge thing? Is it N3DS only?

I think releasing it here along with the N3DS launch would be a good time but that is probably wishful thinking. I think it's not entirely out of the question we might get it. Fingers crossed it's not a US only thing like Rusty. The app is on vanilla 3DS, as well, btw.

Yes Boss!

New Tengoku setup since my arcade machine is in storage for a couple years. This should tide me over till the fall release on 3DS. ❤️

6F12ACE3-76ED-424A-A3B2-2BE6E5757E9B_zps2h3bduja.jpg

GWX

New Tengoku setup since my arcade machine is in storage for a couple years. This should tide me over till the fall release on 3DS. ❤️

6F12ACE3-76ED-424A-A3B2-2BE6E5757E9B_zps2h3bduja.jpg

Awesome setup! That's probably the most beautiful TV I've ever seen.

Nintendo should release Fever on the Wii U eShop. Would love to have it always on the Wii U for quick bursts of heaven.

Yes Boss!

Anybody have any idea how to access the new Tengoku badges in the Badge Center. They don't show up in mine as new. The Valentine stuff and other new ones do...Tengoku no?!

Neoxon

Daydream brought me here (that & my newfound love for the Rhythm Heaven series). Though a few things...

1. Isn't it supposed to be "Chorus Kids" rather than "Chorus Men", at least that's how Smash described them.
2. Maybe you should add mention of the 3DS game in the OP.

Neoxon

Can I point out that multi-quote exists? .-.

I think modern TVs are much less laggy than HDTVs of old, but I don't know how you are identifying that particular television based on that image.

Why is it a safe bet? We haven't received every game in the series here.
Posted at different times.

As for your other 2 quotes of me...
- It looks similar to a TV my uncle owns
- To be fair, we did get the last two

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's far from perfect, but I've started working on something.

dolphin_2015_02_27_02_34_28_48_by_aloooo81-d8jofek.jpg

dolphin_2015_02_27_02_34_14_84_by_aloooo81-d8jofem.jpg

rhythm_heaven_original_by_aloooo81-d8jog9q.jpg
rhythm_heaven_updated_by_aloooo81-d8jogbl.jpg

So far I have the title screen, pause screen, level select, user select, and Hole in One updated. It's not 100% accurate to the original art, but for someone who is not the least bit artistically inclined, I made due with the tools available to me. If I continue working on it I'll probably fix the more glaring issues, like the sky color meshing with the water. But if you're not looking at the original as a comparison, I think the updated art assets look pretty sharp!

Yes Boss!

Uhh, isn't there a lot of input lag on that TV?

I specifically hooked it up to this new tv here to test out the lag (it is 4K but does not upscale the content to that res). I don't play this game on HDTVs because of the lag...mainly use a PVM with component or the gamepad on Wii U, which I've been digging. That said, this TV had some nice audio lag settings and I did get it playing alright. Good enough to tide me over while I live in Asia for a couple years.

daydream

Banned
It's far from perfect, but I've started working on something.

So far I have the title screen, pause screen, level select, user select, and Hole in One updated. It's not 100% accurate to the original art, but for someone who is not the least bit artistically inclined, I made due with the tools available to me. If I continue working on it I'll probably fix the more glaring issues, like the sky color meshing with the water. But if you're not looking at the original as a comparison, I think the updated art assets look pretty sharp!

Neat project, do keep us posted!

I loooove that man. Just following his Twitter account makes me happier, lol. All the art is amazing, and he seems super supportive of Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare fans.

He's posted some particularly interesting stuff in the past, like step-by-step walkthroughs of the creation of his work, and the inspiration and thought process behind his character designs, but he always deletes them shortly after for whatever reason. It's a shame, because I think it's really neat info. I've gotten into the habit of copying them into a document ever since, lol.

But yeah, for people who aren't already following him, definitely do so!

daydream

Banned
Is that his work on Rhythm Heaven 3DS or just random sketches?

We don't really know. I'd be surprised if he was able to share that stuff in advance, though.

Also, it's funny but going through his art, I basically put every sketch in one of two different categories: 'More likely to be in a Rhythm Tengoku game' and 'More likely to be in a WarioWare game'.

Neoxon

We don't really know. I'd be surprised if he was able to share that stuff in advance, though.

Also, it's funny but going through his art, I basically put every sketch in one of two different categories: 'More likely to be in a Rhythm Tengoku game' and 'More likely to be in a WarioWare game'.
It could be a nice little tease, & Rhythm Heaven 3DS is the only game on the horizon that he could be involved in.

So I finally got Tengoku the other day. It's like having a brand new game. This has got to be in my top 5 current series.

I'm so thrilled there's a new game, at least I have a Japanese 3DS if worse comes to worse.

Ko isn't employed by Nintendo anymore, he has his own firm. He does lots of commissioned work, pieces for exhibition, and sketches for fun that he puts on his account that are in the same style as his Rhythm Heaven stuff. I'm certain those just fall into the above categories.

Neoxon

Ko isn't employed by Nintendo anymore, he has his own firm. He does lots of commissioned work, pieces for exhibition, and sketches for fun that he puts on his account that are in the same style as his Rhythm Heaven stuff. I'm certain those just fall into the above categories.
But judging by the Smash U trophies, he still does some work for Nintendo games (he gave Samash U some original art for the WarioWare & Rhythm Heaven trophies).

I should correct myself, he still is an employee of SPD (I thought he left when he founded his studio, but I was wrong), but he does work outside of Nintendo for his studio and has been for over a decade. I don't think he's ever posted his own work on his Twitter account involving the characters he created for Nintendo, which isn't surprising considering the tight leash they put on employees.

Neoxon

I should correct myself, he still is an employee of SPD (I thought he left when he founded his studio, but I was wrong), but he does work outside of Nintendo for his studio and has been for over a decade. I don't think he's ever posted his own work on his Twitter account involving the characters he created for Nintendo, which isn't surprising considering the tight leash they put on employees.
Hey, we all make mistakes. So the guy doesn't normally post his Nintendo work on his Twitter, fair enough.

Glowsquid

I don't think he's ever posted his own work on his Twitter account involving the characters he created for Nintendo, which isn't surprising considering the tight leash they put on employees.

He doesn't post new art for them, but he occassionaly retweets Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare fan art, and he'll respond if you mention either series. He's quick to delete those tweets for whatever reason, though.

also I dunno what leeway there is for quote-unquote offtopic content in community thread, but since we're on the subject of Mr. Takeuchi's art, I really wanted to post this little sketch he did when the WarioWare team was interviewed by Edge in 2005. It's lovely.

vEizG3p.jpg

Top Bottom