• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick James is dead.... =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
OMG!!!!!

I really am sad about this... but...Cue jokes anyway.

mrmyth

Can you imagine the conversation going on at Dave Chappelle's house right now?

"I didn't kill 'im, beeeyotch!"

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wow. This came out of the blue. Guess he wanted to go out while people still remembered who he was.

mrmyth

Ninja Scooter said:
iim watching Conan right now with Jamie Foxx and he's talking about how he's gonna do a reality show with Rick James.

Not unless they can get a live feed from Hell......

Slick_Advanced said:
You know what's funny/strange had Chapelle not lampooned James he probably would not have been put in the breaking news.

I think the tone would be different if it wasn't for the Chappelle skit. I wasn't around when he was in his prime, but I've chatted with people who are a few years older than me and Rick James was one of the super acts of the 70s. Worldwide recognition.

EDIT - Jamie Foxx trying to ride the coattails

WasabiKing said:
I think the tone would be different if it wasn't for the Chappelle skit. I wasn't around when he was in his prime, but I've chatted with people who are a few years older than me and Rick James was one of the super acts of the 70s. Worldwide recognition.

EDIT - Jamie Foxx trying to ride the coattails

Oh no doubt Rick was in the MJ/Prince strata of entertainers. I grew up on Rick James.

Ninja Scooter said:
iim watching Conan right now with Jamie Foxx and he's talking about how he's gonna do a reality show with Rick James.
As long as they also cast Jonathan Silverman and Andrew McCarthy.

EdLuva

Even though Rick may not have lived the best life, these jokes about him after his death are jacked up. :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Slick_Advanced said:
Oh no doubt Rick was in the MJ/Prince strata of entertainers. I grew up on Rick James.

Yeah, but at the same time the only thing Rick was in the news for before Chappelle was burning a woman with a crack pipe. I grew up with Rick James too, but what he became is nothing he or anyone should be proud of. At one time Rick was in the upper level of entertainers, but until Dave did the skits, he was nothing but a tragic afterthought.

dskillzhtown said:
Yeah, but at the same time the only thing Rick was in the news for before Chappelle was burning a woman with a crack pipe. I grew up with Rick James too, but what he became is nothing he or anyone should be proud of. At one time Rick was in the upper level of entertainers, but until Dave did the skits, he was nothing but a tragic afterthought.

Pretty much. He is/was the prototypical behind the music case.

I heard a story a while ago... wish I could remember to attribute it to (perhaps it was The Beastie Boys?), but this is the gist of it.

When Rick was going through some financial problems, he sold off most of his home studio. He had this Neve mixing board that was quite the find, no matter what the price, so [insert producer here] bought it. He took it home, and was dismayed to find out that some of the channels didn't work. The dude decided to have a look in the inards, and what did he find? Piles and piles of marijuana & cocaine residue that slipped between the cracks of the console. After cleaning (hehe, yeah right) it up, the mixer worked beautifully!

And with that, rest in peace, superfreak.

Mike

EdLuva said:
Even though Rick may not have lived the best life, these jokes about him after his death are jacked up. :(

No, you're right. These jokes are actually kinder than he deserves.

"In 1991, he was arrested on cocaine/torture charges and received a five-year sentence. He's now rehabbed and released."

Mike said:
"In 1991, he was arrested on cocaine/torture charges and received a five-year sentence. He's now rehabbed and released."

He also married the woman in question and remained with her until his death. The guy might not have been a saint by any means, but he's fucking dead now - how about letting him have a bit of peace?

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
This quote kills me.
"Today the world mourns a musician and performer of the funkiest kind," said Neil Portow, president of the Recording Academy, which is responsible for the Grammy Awards. "The 'Super Freak' will be missed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom