• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

riddick vs shenmue. WTF?

BeOnEdge

Banned
after finishing riddick, hell, as soon as i started playing riddick i though "this is just like shenmue!" the pace and feel of the running around, the NPCs and the dialogue, the side quests, the fighting, even the mini games. the major differences were the language and the weapons. Riddick may as well be a part of the F.R.E.E. genre. After finishing riddick, i want another game like it and the only other place to get it is shenmue and 3 needs to be officially announced. I dont care if its a launch/holiday title for next gen. Anyway, why is it that so many people were so willing to give riddick a chance and fall in love with it yet wont even give shenmue a chance even though it feels the same?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BeOnEdge said:
its not really better at all. in fact i'd say they're equals mainly because shenmue is longer.

well when you get lost for hours at a time, of course it's longer.

Bebpo

Banned
DopeyFish said:
well when you get lost for hours at a time, of course it's longer.

???

Shenmue was pretty linear and none of the cities were that big. I'd never heard of anyone getting lost in it until now :\

retardboy

Haha, serious... I don't think I ever really got lost (Atleast not for long)... Not even in Shenmue 2 when the cities were larger.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
retardboy said:
Haha, serious... I don't think I ever really got lost (Atleast not for long)... Not even in Shenmue 2 when the cities were larger.

it's what happens when you get bored less than a sentence into one of several monotonous voice actors pieces. Gah "Hey Ryo, so you're staying at this ho --- -- -- -- -- -- -- --- --- --" ;)

I loved Shenmue 1 and 2 but reallty Riddick has much better pacing and action. LOTS MORE ACTION!

Shenmue felt like one fetch quest after another.

I still prefer Shenmue tho for some odd reason.

BeOnEdge

Banned
riddick has more action, shenmue has more story but you'd swear they fit into the same genre of game. F.R.E.E. has returned.

Andy787

Banned
Wario64 said:
Vin Diesel is a bad ass and Ryo is a homosexual?
That's why I liked Ryo.

Anyway, I was going to pick up Riddick eventually anyway, but having anything in common with Shenmue makes me much more interested.

Bebpo

Banned
BoE while I do think you found yourself a good comparison, I dunno if they can really be compared.

I really enjoyed Riddick, but I'll be honest. It's a great game of the month that no one will remember or talk about by the end of the year let alone in 2 years. Whereas people still bring up both Shenmue games on a regular basis over 2+ years later.

Shenmue was/is monumental

Riddick was/is a great 2 night game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well that's what the casual gamer probably thinks. Not my actual views :p

After all, the question posed in the first post is why most gamers don't play Shenmue yet people eat up Riddick

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If Riddick had a 70 man battle it might be as good as Shenmue.

70 man battle = best action segment of any 3rd person game ever. I must have played it 70 or 80 times.

I've avoided CoR on the grounds that:
A. Deep down I don't want movie liscenced games to succeed.
B. The movie it's connected with sucks.
c. Vin Diesel is a good actor like Sylvester Stallone was a good actor in Rambo 3.

I dug Shenmue. The second was too much. The first had a lot of characters who Ryu had known all of his life, the village where he grew up, a secret sort of conspiracy underlying his fathers death. It had empathy, intrigue.
In the second Ryu lacked such a bond and the NPCs seemed to buzz in and be off.
The architecture is what most impressed me. They really decked out the inside and outside of those buildings in a way I have yet to see duplicated. When the game turns a bit, after Ryu goes to 'Beverly Hills' it gets really cool.
I sort of wish you could jump around and climb over stuff in the game.
If Sega does another adventure with such art finesse they should give the character some basic sort of 'Sam Fisher' type controls so you can grab stuff and sneak around, basic jumping etc.

Anyways. I'll be getting CoR when it's $20.

BeOnEdge said:
after finishing riddick, hell, as soon as i started playing riddick i though "this is just like shenmue!" the pace and feel of the running around, the NPCs and the dialogue, the side quests, the fighting, even the mini games. the major differences were the language and the weapons. Riddick may as well be a part of the F.R.E.E. genre. After finishing riddick, i want another game like it and the only other place to get it is shenmue and 3 needs to be officially announced. I dont care if its a launch/holiday title for next gen. Anyway, why is it that so many people were so willing to give riddick a chance and fall in love with it yet wont even give shenmue a chance even though it feels the same?

Funny thing is I felt the same way about Shenmue and KOTOR. Are they really that different. The vast majority of each game is running around talking to people, with the occassional fight thrown in.

Bog

Junior Ace
I've been meaning to make a thread about how Dig Dug and City of Heroes are EERILY similar.

belgurdo

Banned
Protip: Mentioning Sega related topics in a GAF topic whips its members into a frenzy. Use this opportunity to charge up your Vulcan Cannons and then blast them into oblivion

Gattsu25

Banned
heh..not quite, Bel, this honestly has NOTHING to do with Shenmue being a SEGA game

Riddick vs. Shenmue really is a comparison that doesn't make much sense

*They both have melee combat, both involve ... ... RUNNING, ... ... ... ... DIALOG!!!, SIDE QUESTS AND MINI GAMES!! the last 4 have NEVER been done in an EXTREMELY similar fashion in older First Person games for the PC...honestly =\

hell, there are a LOT of games I feel Riddick borrows heavily from but Shnmue is the absolute last on my list

If you're a shut in gamer who's never played a single PC first person game that's main focus wasn't it's combat AND where drunk/high...then maybe

*edit: just in case my point was missed, Riddick is VERY similar to FPS games in the past and shares almost no similarity to Shenmue when compared to those

Volt

Personally, Riddick reminded me a lot more of Deux Ex (and Invisible War especially) than of any Shenmue..

So then if a game has dialogue bits in which maybe 10% of those you're presented with 2 choices to respond with, it's suddenly comparable to Shenmue?

This thread is just plain wtf.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
it does have some bits that play like shenmue, not many though, riddick is much more action based.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wario64 said:
Well that's what the casual gamer probably thinks. Not my actual views :p

After all, the question posed in the first post is why most gamers don't play Shenmue yet people eat up Riddick

1) shenmue sucks
2) the shenmue movie wich is only an hour or 1.5hrs long feels incredibly drawn out and that's fucking 1/20th the length of the full game!
3) Shenmue and CoR AREN'T SIMILAR...if you want similarity to shenmue lookup --wait...no games decided to copy shenmue. If you want similarity to Riddick, lookup past PC FPS games...(protip: start with Ion Storm/Looking Glass' games)

Gattsu25 said:
joke thread by a joke account

Top Bottom