• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (PSP) questions.

Dilbert

Seriously, kids...this is getting a little silly, don't you think? Go play games!

In any event, as much as the thought of drooling over stuff which won't be available for purchase this year seems like a worthy use of my time, I've been trying instead to make progress in Ridge Racer PSP. Holy CRAP this is an impressive game. The only regret that I have is that I can't play it on my home theater, since the tracks are gorgeous and the music kicks ass...but the PSP screen and headphones are a nice second choice.

Since this is my first Ridge Racers game (yeah, really), I have a couple of dumb questions. For reference, I just finished the Basic Tour section and am now attempting to tackle the Class 4 races in the Pro Tour:

1) Is there any advantage to picking one of the drift types, rather than personal preference? I've been playing mild-type cars the entire time since there are some places where you can drift out of control if you're not careful, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm at a competitive disadvantage by not charging my nitro enough. It also feels like I lose a lot of speed while drifting...is that true, or is my perception off? What do you recommend?

2) I've been playing manual transmission exclusively, but since there are times when it gets distracting to have to glance down to see what gear I should be in, I'm tempted to try automatic. In real life, the disadvantage of an automatic transmission is that you get less control over downshifting in hilly situations, and there is a "power lag" when accelerating because of the preset shift points. Is the AT in Ridge Racer basically a "perfect" manual shifter, or does it share the same disadvantages of a real-life automatic transmission?

3) Any tips for mastering the first-person view? I've been playing from the chase view so I can align the car through drifts to exit properly, but it would be fun to play from the driver perspective...if I could keep from smashing into stuff.

Also, since the OT is down this week: Can anyone recommmend some drum 'n bass along the style of "Night Stream" from the Ridge Racer soundtrack? Although I'm a huge electronic music fan, DnB has never been a particular favorite of mine, probably because a lot of it is incredibly dark intense stuff. I like those tracks as a nice changeup in a mix, but listening to it for hours at a time exhausts me. The DnB tracks I've liked in the past have been...well, lighter and fluffier. "The Real Thing" (90 BPM version) by Peshay from the Headz 2A compilation would be a good choice, or several tracks from Formé.

Dilbert

Oh yeah, just because:

ridgeracer3.jpg

ridge-racer-ds-20042.jpg

Johnas

I was actually thinking of going and buying a PSP today, seriously. I think you just pushed me further in that direction.

Note: I've never played a RR game either, so you're not alone. :D

Play games? Why? When there's so much entertainment to be found on the first page....it's almost like a battlefield...(this is my first GAF E3)

Dilbert

jonhuz said:
Anything on the psp front from E3 yet?
My tag is completely serious -- I'm the casual gamer from the GAF moderation crew. I know nothing about inside E3 info, but yeah, I'm hoping to hear about some killer PSP games coming out later this year. Even so, I have a ton of playtime left on the four games I already own, and I haven't even picked up Hot Shots Golf yet...

Pedigree Chum said:
RR PSP is looking kinda ugly in that shot.

Oh god next-gen, what have you done to me!!!
Heh. :) Yeah, compared to the PS3 or X360 shots, I suppose that PSP can't measure up. But DAMN it's a gorgeous 60 FPS when you see it in motion, and the sense of speed is impressive.

Heh. Yeah, compared to the PS3 or X360 shots, I suppose that PSP can't measure up. But DAMN it's a gorgeous 60 FPS when you see it in motion, and the sense of speed is impressive.

True. I still <3 my PSP very much. Can't wait to see what devs do with the wireless link-up with PS3 :)

-jinx- said:
I'm hoping to hear about some killer PSP games coming out later this year.

Me too, and it can't come soon enough.

There's plenty of cool stuff on the new consoles, but where's my PSP news!?

Yeah! I'm still loving my PSP. Not one regret at picking it up. Still haven't grabbed RR, but I'm playing a ton of Hot Shots Golf right now.

Dilbert

Ignatz Mouse said:
Me too, and it can't come soon enough.

There's plenty of cool stuff on the new consoles, but where's my PSP news!?
True dat.

I'm mostly hoping for some stuff which is in a new genre. I think Wipeout Pure and Ridge Racer have the racer market cornered for the time being, although a kickass cart game might be fun. (Crash Team Racing for the PSX is still my favorite kart game...an update for PSP, especially with infrastructure capability, would RULE.) I like fighters, but can't play them with a D-pad, so the announcement of SFA3 doesn't do anything for me.

The announcement of a 2-D shooter would be awesome -- something like Gradius V for the PSP would be outstanding, especially with the 16:9 screen. A 2-D platformer would also be pretty hot, although I don't know who would be developing such a thing.

-jinx- said:
1) Is there any advantage to picking one of the drift types, rather than personal preference? I've been playing mild-type cars the entire time since there are some places where you can drift out of control if you're not careful, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm at a competitive disadvantage by not charging my nitro enough. It also feels like I lose a lot of speed while drifting...is that true, or is my perception off? What do you recommend?

You do lose speed during the drift but seem to pick it back up fast after the exit. Sometimes it pays to even drift as opposed to just steering through the corner. I'm starting to wonder the same thing as you, though, as there is one pro track where I can race it perfect and hit 5 nitro's over the course of the race, but still be 15 seconds behind the leader.

2) I've been playing manual transmission exclusively, but since there are times when it gets distracting to have to glance down to see what gear I should be in, I'm tempted to try automatic. In real life, the disadvantage of an automatic transmission is that you get less control over downshifting in hilly situations, and there is a "power lag" when accelerating because of the preset shift points. Is the AT in Ridge Racer basically a "perfect" manual shifter, or does it share the same disadvantages of a real-life automatic transmission?

AT isn't perfect (you're going to hurt on those Rage Racer hills) but not like it's ever stopped me before. MT is too much of a hassle.

3) Any tips for mastering the first-person view? I've been playing from the chase view so I can align the car through drifts to exit properly, but it would be fun to play from the driver perspective...if I could keep from smashing into stuff.

People drive from chase-cam? Wow. I think I may have seen the chase-cam once, but I always use FPV. Always seems to be easier to drive that way. Not sure what to say except that a little practice will give you a good idea of where the virtual limits of the sides of the car are.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am intrigued by the PSP/PS3 wireless interactivity. Should be interesting to see how that comes together and what it means for games.

As for PSP news coming from E3, I expect it to start flooding in on Thursday. I'm hoping for some nice RPG action, and more games with online play. Madden PSP would be nice to see as well, and I'd kill for Vritua Fighter 4: Final Tuned on the PSP, with online play as well! ;) Real info on the GTA game would be nice, and GT4: Mobile.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
-jinx- Hit up some LTJ Bukem if you like more mellow, ambient D&B. He's the master of the style, without a doubt.

Here's some of my favorite lush D&B stuff:
LTJ Bukem - Horizons
LTJ Bukem - Music
LTJ Bukem - Close To The Source
LTJ Bukem - Watercolours
Goldie - Inner City Life (oldie but goodie!)
Adam F - Circles
Lamb - Gorecki (Global Comm mix)
Bjork - Hidden Places (Knick and the Enemy mix)
PFM - One and Only
Makoto - Where Are You Going
Nookie - Continental Drift
Hatrias - Space Invaders (J Majik mix) - filtered disco song remixed into a D&B style. If you like the first track of the Red disk of Ridge Racer PSP, check this out

And to be on topic, yeah Ridge Racer PSP is really cool :D

Dilbert

djtiesto said:
-jinx- Hit up some LTJ Bukem if you like more mellow, ambient D&B. He's the master of the style, without a doubt.

Here's some of my favorite lush D&B stuff:
LTJ Bukem - Horizons
LTJ Bukem - Music
LTJ Bukem - Close To The Source
LTJ Bukem - Watercolours
Goldie - Inner City Life (oldie but goodie!)
Adam F - Circles
Lamb - Gorecki (Global Comm mix)
Bjork - Hidden Places (Knick and the Enemy mix)
PFM - One and Only
Makoto - Where Are You Going
Nookie - Continental Drift
Hatrias - Space Invaders (J Majik mix) - filtered disco song remixed into a D&B style. If you like the first track of the Red disk of Ridge Racer PSP, check this out
Thanks for the recommendations! Is there a particular LTJ Bukem album or mix which is a good starting point?

I have the double-disc import of Goldie's Timeless, and that album is INDEED a classic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i'd just like say that MAX tours are the most BULLSHIT races ever since very hard difficulty of Chapter 7 (F-Zero GX)! i still have the last 2 tours to complete before 100%'ing this game. but other than that, Ridge Racer is the fucking shit

also, 2 more days to Wipeout Pure DLC! PSP ROX

Heh, I just finished a few races in RR, and god is it fun.

I expect to hear some impressions on MediEvil, Daxter, Coded Arms, Virtua Tennis, and some solid info on GTA PSP. I was dissapointed at the fact that Capcom never mentioned DMC PSP, and that the Sony PC focused on PS3.

Dilbert

Crazymoogle said:
People drive from chase-cam? Wow. I think I may have seen the chase-cam once, but I always use FPV. Always seems to be easier to drive that way. Not sure what to say except that a little practice will give you a good idea of where the virtual limits of the sides of the car are.
I tried first-person view last night, and I found out why I liked chase cam so much: The camera position is higher, so you can see curves coming much sooner. FPV requires much more track memorization to succeed since you can't see nearly as far...and if you remember wrong, you smack into a wall.

Dilbert

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic...

1) What are the differences between the Type-S, Type-R, and Type-Z tuneup kits?

2) I've managed to finish all of the Pro Tour events up through the individual duels, but the Special class cars are kicking my ass so far. (Well, not kicking my ass exactly, but I seem to consistently lose by less than a second.) Does it matter which type of car I use (Type-R vs. Type-S; drift type DYN/STD/MLD), as long as it's Class 6? Or is there a major strategic advantage to one type? Is it worth trying to play some Ex Tour events to unlock a Class 6 Type-Z car?

3) Is the Rally-X Special the most useless car ever? Sheesh...absolutely NO acceleration and no ability to drift at slow speeds, but then it starts rocketing around the track over 140 MPH.

-jinx- said:
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new topic...

1) What are the differences between the Type-S, Type-R, and Type-Z tuneup kits?

2) I've managed to finish all of the Pro Tour events up through the individual duels, but the Special class cars are kicking my ass so far. (Well, not kicking my ass exactly, but I seem to consistently lose by less than a second.) Does it matter which type of car I use (Type-R vs. Type-S; drift type DYN/STD/MLD), as long as it's Class 6? Or is there a major strategic advantage to one type? Is it worth trying to play some Ex Tour events to unlock a Class 6 Type-Z car?

3) Is the Rally-X Special the most useless car ever? Sheesh...absolutely NO acceleration and no ability to drift at slow speeds, but then it starts rocketing around the track over 140 MPH.

1. Dunno
2. I had to give up on two of the tours in Pro, and then I managed to beat all but one tour on EX. So you might as well keep the frustration low and switch up.
3. I actually find the Rally-X to be the easiest of the S cars to drive, and I've beaten most of the special class races with it. The acceleration is a bitch but at least I can make the corners...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the last max tour race is bullshit. what's the best car to use for "special" races? i hate these damn cars

Jonnyram

I think the only difference between the tune-up kits is speed (and how they look). Each one boosts your top speed a little in that class.

i only drive in first person view, i feel i got better control over the car!

i am on the MAX tour now and i have completed the 3 first tournaments within that tournament and i have unlocked acouple of more stages, i have to say MAX tour is frickin hard!

has anyone in here completed the max tour yet?

Top Bottom