• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riftbreaker dev : Next-Gen Features Have to Be Fitted to XSS Memory; It Would Have Been Much Easier with XSX Only

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nobody is saying its preferable to make things more worse. The thing is with consoles u build around limitations. And sometimes they are aggressive in some parts. U dont'want to do that release it for PC and build the game u want. But even there u gotta take into account lower end users if you actually want sales but still u got no limitations on there really if you care about it.

Him bitching that a budget box for 300 buck isn't as performent as a more expensive console is just him being a idiot.

No, because there were better options IMHO and what they chose made things worse (again IMHO). They did what they did because if fits their strategy not because it was the best thing for the industry.

A $349-399 digits only XSX with a 0.5-1 TB SSD would be a far far better offer for users and would simplify the life of devs and allow first party Xbox developers to get more out of the HW more easily too.

Why do I need to worry, MS has an infinite war chest, right?

:LOL: sure, $299 vs $399 is where you go from being able to put food on your table or not (as if $299 were peanuts). How about something worse than XSS for even less then, why stop there? I do not believe your argument is genuine, sorry. I just do not.

You have not given me or anyone a good reason why a 0.5 TB digital only XSX at $349 would have not been possible since XSX design is so smart and cost efficient unlike the wasteful PS5 which Sony can afford to sell at $399 just by taking the Blu-Ray drive off. Such an Xbox would be a much much better and healthier proposition and would simplify devs’ life (but sure, more difficult to sell those people another affordable $299 XSSv2 in 2022 or something ;)).

Because you choose not to think about RAM limitations impeding design, or do not see games being able to build gameplay enhancing features with the power available on the GPU (one could have a 1440p or less game with DRS that uses the rest of the GPU performance in the XSX for gameplay enhancing calculations... what do you do on the XSS?) does not means others should. Choice is often let the XSS underperform or design the game around the XSX and brute force things that easily scale upwards.

CPU and SSD speed are two of the biggest changes this generation yes, and mostly XSS delivers there (downclock on the CPU side will still affect you if you try to get every bit of juice out of the XSX as you can...), but the entire system design is not just those components alone: RAM and the GPU (which is getting to be a more and more central and general processing unit as time goes on).

Essentially “XSS could have been worse, MS did not do a horrible job at it” seems like rave reviews for a public interview :LOL:.Anyways it is still work added onto developers’ already busy backlog which punishes you more the more ambitious your title is... certainly not the promise of exactly the same experience as the XSX at 1440p as people were pushing it back then (even at 1080p it is a stretch if you want RT too).
Talking to me about stawmen to me then throwing out lame infinite war chest commentary nice man. You yourself have not proven that an XSX without a disc drive and less storage would be cheaper to build than the XSS. I am thinking you don't know what you're talking about.

Every game dev on the planet would prefer to develop on a system with infinite resources but that is not reality. Show me how MS wouldn't be able to assist devs to creating software that works for the XSS. Show me how creating a console more people afford despite viewing it from your own privileged position is bad when growing the industry is good for the fans of the industry.

Sure devs may have a tougher time making it work but the XSS was not designed to make it easy for the developers it was designed for easier market adoption. Greater market adoption is better for everyone including the devs who are struggling. Those devs need to get on the phone and ask for some help. MS needs to ensure their development environment is mature. If devs could find success with the PS4 and X1 they can find success here too. Since the hardware isn't changing they should spend less time complaining and more time focusing on creating games. There is support out there if needed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Talking to me about stawmen to me then throwing out lame infinite war chest commentary nice man.
Hey, I never believed they do have an infinite war chest 😂, so not sure why you are upset.
You yourself have not proven that an XSX without a disc drive and less storage would be cheaper to build than the XSS.
No you are right, the more components they add the cheaper the cost d’oh... :rolleyes:.

Continue believing that a cheaper XSX without disc drive and less Flash storage would have not been possible and better and essentially going with a variant of lazy/whiny devs angle.

Comparing a $299 console (+games and subscriptions) against the privileged rich gamers (philanthropic angle) with their $399 HW is quite rich 🤑. I know MS did not make the XSS for devs but themselves but they are catching some people in the bet (albeit if they cancelled the XSS tomorrow and released the XSX lite I mentioned above you would be first in line to cheer it on :p).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Suspicious? Oh come on :LOL:, way to go with the daily PS5 F.U.D.

Not seeing the $299 XSS being sold in massive volumes or being even that hot and requested of a product, not sure it is worth it for the market... it is worth it for Phil because he wants to have iPhone like iterative releases and cross generation software forever... like a walled garden closed PC ecosystem: now he has a set of active HW which creates a blur between Xbox One S, Xbox One X, XSS, XSX... and you will see them likely releasing refreshes every few years (if the strategy does not tank) and dropping one or two at the lower end each time.

This IMHO is not the strategy the helps deliver or give the opportunity for competition to produce breakthroughs or user focused innovation.
yes that's the strategy for them to gain critical mass. its different from what we used to, let's see how it will work out. we have 'cheap' subscription/rental of day 1 games

Genx3

MS fucked up putting only 10 Gigs of Ram on the XSS.
12 Gigs made a lot more sense and then it would have been able to run some games at XB1X resolutions. MS should've went 12 and 24 GB's of Ram with these consoles. Even if that meant $600 price on the XSX. It would have also meant the XSX could've had 1 pool of memory instead of the CPU & GPU optimized split they currently have.
Trying to get that launch price down to $300 is what caused this to happen. It's too bad that devs now have to put in a little extra effort on their games. Hopefully devs don't lazy out and not do it.

Mr Moose

Recomended PC specs should fit into faster part of XSS memory.

The Riftbreaker System Requirements (Minimum)
CPU: i3 2.6Ghz or AMD equivalent
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 460 or AMD equivalent
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1024 MB

The Riftbreaker Recommended Requirements
CPU: i5 2.6Ghz or AMD equivalent
RAM: 6 GB
VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 960 or AMD equivalent
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB
Just under, I think.
~8GB needed, ~7.5 available.

This is going to sound dumb, but in a year of viruses, economic pressures, and fucking scalppers. It does feel pointless to have two products like this. Nobody can get any of the options right now, and I'll never get the point of MS just scrapping the whole XSS concept especially if they want to break into streaming with the tv-s via APPs-.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If they only had PC to develop for?

I'm guessing they could choose the minimum spec requirements themselves. I think with Xbox you have to develop for both the XSS and XSX if I'm not wrong.
Sure you have but it's not like you have to do 2 version for different architecture or something most often is just a min config. And you don't choose the slowest PC as a baseline, that's only if you don't have time or talent. Most often you have dratic difference between lowest and highest settings, Basic geometry, streaming of assets are norm today even on PC, because you can do so much more detail than it put on the RAM. Stalker was probably last example of such design, whole level was kept in RAM.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is going to sound dumb, but in a year of viruses, economic pressures, and fucking scalppers. It does feel pointless to have two products like this. Nobody can get any of the options right now, and I'll never get the point of MS just scrapping the whole XSS concept especially if they want to break into streaming with the tv-s via APPs-.
XSS exists partly BECAUSE of streaming. If devs all targeted 12TF then their cloud would have to support 12TF for all users. Requiring they also build games for their 4TF platforms means they can have a tiered approach in the cloud.

It's likely that they'll charge for "4k streaming" for instance for next gen, and if you choose the 1080p "plan" (probably the one included with GPU, 4k is extra) then you'll get the XSS version of a game.

Thing is.. if the XSS and streaming don't increase the market.. then they just threw a 4TF machine in the mix that devs have to support, and devs aren't going to be happy. If they somehow grow the market.. well some actual "developers" won't be happy but the publishers will.4

Last edited:

Lysandros

Only 10gb is optimised so presumably that would be mostly the only used part of the Ram?
I am not sure to follow, the remaining 3GB 'unoptimized' part is still significantly faster than XSS's 'fast' pool (336 GB/s to 224 GB/s). Are you trying to say that XSX has 'essentially' 10 GB of RAM available to games and the real difference is only 2.5 GB between the machines?..

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Id Software Devs Express Their Concerns Over the Xbox Series S’ Hardware Specs; Memory “Situation” Not Easy to Compensate (wccftech.com)

SQtKczA.jpg

qDQpxXi.jpg

So, this coming from talented programmers at id Software are baseless too? Fuck outta here dude.

Re-posting the same developers who complain doesn't change a single thing about the deficiencies they already face on multiple other platforms. Its like yelling at a brick wall trying to get those of you who can't understand this simple concept - xss is not the weakest platform these developers have to make these games for in 99% of situations, so you can shut up now.

In addition, despite these "massive concerns" so far they have managed to deliver games running perfectly fine. Even the developer from the very article this thread is about said its not going to be a problem in thier game yet you are too slow to get to that. Just keep trolling and reposting how hard xss is too hard to program for.

I am not sure to follow, the remaining 3GB 'unoptimized' part is still significantly faster than XSS's 'fast' pool (336 GB/s to 224 GB/s). Are you trying to say that XSX has 'essentially' 10 GB of RAM available to games and the real difference is only 2.5 GB between the machines?..
I'm saying that if on average only 10gb is being used for a 4k image (this would go up or down but I'd say 10gb would be a reasonable average) then a 1080p image would need significantly less right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Re-posting the same developers who complain doesn't change a single thing about the deficiencies they already face on multiple other platforms. Its like yelling at a brick wall trying to get those of you who can't understand this simple concept - xss is not the weakest platform these developers have to make these games for in 99% of situations, so you can shut up now.

In addition, despite these "massive concerns" so far they have managed to deliver games running perfectly fine. Even the developer from the very article this thread is about said its not going to be a problem in thier game yet you are too slow to get to that. Just keep trolling and reposting how hard xss is too hard to program for.

Sony would have benefited from your undying positive “hey it kind of works so stop nagging” mindset in the early PS3 days ;).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony would have benefited from your undying positive “hey it kind of works so stop nagging” mindset in the early PS3 days ;).

True, although in that case they had tons of raw power but the architecture was difficult to tap into until they had more experience. In this case the architecture is massively similar to current gen top and pc architecture. In this case it's actually still easier than a pc port.

Last edited:
DLSS style technology will help XSS immensely. They can literally make it 720p and with DLSS technology make image sharper and no one will complain.

I forgot what's the name of the AMD equivalent method which is under development right now?

Is it Direct ML Super resolution?

John Wick

Who's we? The fanboys you mean? I know it's fun on Gaf to poke fun at anything Microsoft but one dev has voiced his opinion on the S, that's definitely not conclusive to how the S will cope going forward. You honestly think Microsoft hasn't extensively tested all in house projects on both consoles? They built the S to run next gen games at lower resolution and without certain bells and whistles, if it couldn't do that they either would have bumped up the specs or scrapped the idea.

You people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Microsoft are not going to spend billions on R@D while talking to first and third party developers on a console that will hold back next gen games lol.
Billions on research and development on XSS? I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The SX is going to outsell the XSS. MS claimed claimed it would play everything like SX but at 1440p. It's already struggling to run games at 1440p. This gen just started, what do you think will happen when far more demanding games come along?

Dampf

Just finally use Sampler Feedback. Xbox and modern PC GPUs are built for it in mind. XSS has more than enough RAM then, as it increases effective VRAM by around 2.5x.

M1chl

It has nothing to do with being a good or a bad dev, it's about dedicating time and money to it. If you're on a limited budget as a dev there's not a lot you can do.
No I don't really agree, good optimalised code for certain task is written from the onset, like not wsting cycles don't overflow memory with something which can be done with less pointers, etc. So many programming guidelines there.

Sure I agree the cutting things from visual standpoint obviously takes more time, but then again most often is the codebase, the text before compilation which is doing most of the bad stuff...

M1chl

DLSS style technology will help XSS immensely. They can literally make it 720p and with DLSS technology make image sharper and no one will complain.

I forgot what's the name of the AMD equivalent method which is under development right now?

Is it Direct ML Super resolution?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes, the Xbox Series S requires additional optimization. While we were able to simply compile The Riftbreaker for the Xbox Series X and it "just works", the XSS requires additional optimization. Still, it doesn't look like it will require that much work to be running well at 1080p on the XSS. The best thing about the current architecture is that the CPU power on both Xbox models is practically the same. Scaling graphical effects is a lot easier than scaling gameplay. The amount of available memory is a determining factor in a lot of cases when we talk about the size of a game world or about how many things can be happening within it at any given time. The size of the memory that is available in the XSS is the actual determining point for the entire console generation as gameplay features have to be fitted to the lowest spec. From the point of view of a developer it would be much easier if there was a single XSX SKU, but given the circumstances I think that Microsoft has made good choices in how to create a much cheaper console, that can still run next-generation games.
I don't know anything about making video games, but I always find it amazing that studios have this live or die attitude towards making different console versions, yet when they make a game for PC, it's somehow no problem making a game work on PC with a million configs stretching from an outdated PC with minimum specs to a 3080 rig.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Just finally use Sampler Feedback. Xbox and modern PC GPUs are built for it in mind. XSS has more than enough RAM then, as it increases effective VRAM by around 2.5x.
Honestly the onus is on Microsoft to show of that stuff namely with the Slipspace Engine. If I dont read about Halo Infinite using any of that stuff then I'm going to start thinking it's bullshit just like the Microsoft machine learning people like to bring up.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Honestly the onus is on Microsoft to show of that stuff namely with the Slipspace Engine. If I dont read about Halo Infinite using any of that stuff then I'm going to start thinking it's bullshit just like the Microsoft machine learning be like to bring up.
I really hope the ML stuff is real though. I think the industry as a whole would benefit from multiple competent players bringing ML solutions to the table.

If I had the choice to hypothetically target 2k on PS5/XSX games and use AI to reconstruct up to 4k for added effects/frame rate I'd take it every time.

Dampf

Honestly the onus is on Microsoft to show of that stuff namely with the Slipspace Engine. If I dont read about Halo Infinite using any of that stuff then I'm going to start thinking it's bullshit just like the Microsoft machine learning be like to bring up.
I don't have high hopes, giving Halo is a cross gen title. Developing one version using all the next gen features and one without them is not going to be easy, maybe even impossible.

My hopes are on Ninja Theory to demonstrate these innovative features with Hellblade 2.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Sampler feedback streaming helps the implementation (less code needed to calculate and tell the system what memory pages to stream in), but does not give you back that much memory compared to best in class virtual texturing developers used to implement in software (think Xbox 360/PS3) or using features like PRT (partially resident textures) to only keep visible textures loaded in GPU memory and caches):
uy7HG5h.jpg

6oXPXlu.jpg

The stats you quote compare a title with SFS implementing a form of virtual texturing vs a title not using virtual texturing at all. So, it might make it easier for small indies (that were not using UE4 or Unity3D but their hand made engine), but not such a big world changer for AA/AAA+ titles.

ML wise, support for lower precision integer math at higher rate helps a lot, but it uses the same shader array as the rest of the rendering does (same for mesh shaders) instead of having super powerful dedicated unit like the Tensor Cores nVIDIA uses separate from the Shader ALU’s. MS and Sony will try to flex the importance of ML, but neither has anywhere near the computational power dedicated to it that nVIDIA or Apple have in their devices (I would have expected a lot more iPhone games to leverage DLSS like solutions sooner to be fair... although their Neural Engine is a fully decoupled component in their SoC so maybe it is not as easy to use for this kind of use case at a low enough latency).

Last edited:

Rikkori

I don't know anything about making video games
Exactly, that's the issue. You and many people don't know shit about the work that goes into this and the complexities involved but "feel" that it should be somehow different than how it is. Instead of thinking 'I don't know shit, so let me not assume', you guys go 'I don't know shit but I assume'.

Learning is just a click away.

martino

It's in the link addy and....

The amount of available memory is a determining factor in a lot of cases when we talk about the size of a game world or about how many things can be happening within it at any given time. The size of the memory that is available in the XSS is the actual determining point for the entire console generation as gameplay features have to be fitted to the lowest spec. From the point of view of a developer it would be much easier if there was a single XSX SKU,
this is the important part.
there is no scaling around that and you are changing what is happening playing the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom