• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin: New Gameplay Released | State of Play

Killjoy-NL

Graphically this just looks terrible. Looks a generation behind Ghost of Tsushima, which is a last-gen game.

But it looks pretty awesome except for that.
My take away as well when it comes to the graphics.

Production value is quite a step down from Sony 1st party, GoT in particular due to the setting.

Also don't like things like riding your horse seemingly out of nowhere from that hangglider.
Same as combat. Something's just off-putting about this game, imo.

Markio128

I’ve watched the trailer again, and I’m warming to the game. The visuals aren’t actually as bad as some folk are making out. Other than the noticeable pop-in at times, there is some good stuff in there. I also think the combat looks like it has plenty of depth, which is something generally missing from openworld games like this.

Yeah, I’ll probably get this at some point.

Them graphics and animations are pretty bad... But the overall concept and execution seems to be there.

I'll take any version of what I think a next-gen Tenchu would be I can get. Looking forward to seeing more.

Moses85

No Thank You Reaction GIF

Variahunter

I thought this game was the ghost of Tsushima sequel until today.
I always thought this was going to be much better. Ghost was a pretty bad on the infiltration and combat part, and this looks incredible !
Graphics look clean, with some nice textures here and there but the animation looks a bit stiff sometimes.

Exentryk

Combat looks good and the traversal seems fun. Not really feeling the story and the setting though, so let's see.

I have been waiting for this, but I am underwhelmed. I think that being extremely disappointed with Wo Long is partially the cause. If this game is handled the same way (copy and paste Nioh with a more confusing UI) then I don’t know if I would bother.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm sure it'll present better on-screen than it looks in video trailers too, all their games do.

Team Ninja aren't technical giants, but their titles tend to run well on console, and their character graphics are always high quality even if the rest of the scene is fairly average.

CGNoire

I'm sure it'll present better on-screen than it looks in video trailers too, all their games do.

Team Ninja aren't technical giants, but their titles tend to run well on console, and their character graphics are always high quality even if the rest of the scene is fairly average.
How many of the orginal NG1+2 team is still there in 2024?

Really happy that it seems to be as historically "accurate" as Nioh was :D

Real people and places, but also apparently flamethrowers and errr mutants?!? Sounds good to me.
Good.

Authentic settings nearly always result in less varied more boring gameplay.

Especially regards to enemy variety. Cough ghost of tsushima cough.

Aenima

Trailer kinda killed the hype for this game. Enemies seem way to much damage sponges. Feels like an open world Nioh. Thers some cool moves and traversal there but will not be a day 1 game for me.

The part of the trailer that looks like normal levels looks like a fun enough game. The Ubisoft part "hold your stick towards the icon in this useless open world" does not. Couldn't they just ape Elden Ring like they aped Souls and Sekiro, if they wanted to be more open? Meh!

Last edited:
I don't what people are smoking about the graphics. This is not some in-game trailer running on a 4090. This is open-world Nioh 3 game running on PS5 at 60fps with good IQ and without FSR destroying everything. Compared to Nioh 2 the graphics are a huge improvement to me. But most importantly the japanese artstyle is great and the controls are going to be beautifully responsive.

Finally a worthy Tenchu contender!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How many of the orginal NG1+2 team is still there in 2024?

Its hard to say now that its been reformed and rebuilt so many times over. The impression I get is that since Yasuda took charge he's consolidated everything around what was built for Nioh, he is basically the "new" Itagaki and his vision seems to be more influential than whoever's technically directing the title.

Its a bit confusing because he consulted heavily with Masaaki Yamagiwa for Nioh/Nioh 2 even when he was still at Sony Japan, so when he moved under Yasuda to produce Wo Long it wasn't entirely surprising how similar the games turned out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't what people are smoking about the graphics. This is not some in-game trailer running on a 4090. This is open-world Nioh 3 game running on PS5 at 60fps with good IQ and without FSR destroying everything. Compared to Nioh 2 the graphics are a huge improvement to me. But most importantly the japanese artstyle is great and the controls are going to be beautifully responsive.

Ghost of Tsushima is also an open world action game running on PS5 at 60fps with good IQ, and it looks a generation better than this. So this just isn't very impressive.

Ghost of Tsushima is also an open world action game running on PS5 at 60fps with good IQ, and it looks a generation better than this. So this just isn't very impressive.
Ghost of Tsushima doesn't look better than this to me. Tsushima is all about cell shaded tricks, a painting in motion, but the asset density is quite lower in reality. Also the character mobility is very limited compared to this. And the game controls like a (cinematic) turd.

Compared to Nioh 2, GoT felt so limited and shallow in everything I could do with the moves or the open-world game. But most importantly the game felt shit to play, all visuals and cinematic tricks no substance, I couldn't play the game for long.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ghost of Tsushima doesn't look better than this to me. Tsushima is all about cell shaded tricks, a painting in motion, but the asset density is quite lower in reality. Also the character mobility is very limited compared to this. And the game controls like a (cinematic) turd.

Compared to Nioh 2, GoT felt so limited and shallow in everything I could do with the moves or the open-world game. But most importantly the game felt shit to play, all visuals no substance, I couldn't play the game for long.

Cel shading? No idea what you're talking about, Tsushima has none of that. And I don't know how anyone can think this looks better, but if you do that's fine!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
because unlike ghost of tsushima this game will actually have a good action combat and enemies wont be braindead

Isn’t that what people hoped with Wo Long? And look how that turned out. Pretty blah judging by posts here and otherwise. Also Team Ninja right? Right

Also I feel like this setting is already being played out. The Ass Creed Red or whatever the fuck Japan game that’s coming will be the open world bloated crown turd that this has all been leading up to. Yay.

Last edited:
Am I watching this wrong, or are NPCs at the distance at a very low frame rate for some reason? You can see it right at the start when gameplay starts.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I’ve watched the trailer again, and I’m warming to the game. The visuals aren’t actually as bad as some folk are making out. Other than the noticeable pop-in at times, there is some good stuff in there. I also think the combat looks like it has plenty of depth, which is something generally missing from openworld games like this.

Yeah, I’ll probably get this at some point.
Yep, it’s not bad. I will wait for PC release myself though. “Assuming” it won’t be couple of years since it’s 3rd party.

ungalo

Compared to Nioh 2, GoT felt so limited and shallow in everything I could do with the moves or the open-world game. But most importantly the game felt shit to play, all visuals and cinematic tricks no substance, I couldn't play the game for long.
I wouldn't go that far but i played Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 very recently and despite the comfort of the overall experience, it's still a pretty shallow game. I expect RotR to do better whether it's in the gameplay or even the story (because i think GoT played very safe even on that front). To me GoT is overrated by players typically because of graphics and this game gets shitted on just for that.

You can tell it's way above other Team Ninja games on the technical ambition. It's a big game for them even if compared to big western games it still feels like it's lagging behind. I don't think studios like that should be discouraged to make bigger games just because realistically they can't compete with the biggest studios on the visuals. I don't like this "all or nothing" kind of mentality that's going on.

Hot5pur

Didn't like the initial reveals, but this looks really good.
It's on my radar for sure.
I just hate the stories behind these games. Goes to some historic period, introduces like 100 characters I can't keep track of.
By the end I have no idea what's going on or why I fought anyone.
Please dumb it down for me...

Bond007

Love the theming- Japan/Samurai. Usually im a sucker
However i dont like the way this looks from a gameplay standpoint or visually. So if i need my fix i can go enjoy Ghost of Tsushima till the sequel comes.

Variahunter

Exactly my thoughts. Do you read my mind ?

And people don't seem to understand that the Z-axis is also used here with the glider and the grappling hook.

And yes, 60 fps with clean IQ is ressource heavy. And yes, TN are not (anymore) technical masters, so this game going open world (with 3 full cities ! which Ghost does not have) and being prettier than NioH is already great to me.

As you said, finally I can realize my dream of a Tenchu open world (Ghost was so bad on infiltration... and combat also) !

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Isn’t that what people hoped with Wo Long? And look how that turned out. Pretty blah judging by posts here and otherwise. Also Team Ninja right? Right

Whoever said Wo Long's combat was braindead? Its simpler than Nioh, but its still more technical than most action games with a full suite of weapons, magic and mechanics to learn.

The main knock on the game for me is that its setting/characters are a little dry and lacking in personality, and that the process of expansion as the DLC's rolled out was lumpy and uneven. Which is a real shame as after the 2nd DLC a lot of the design decisions fell into place a lot more clearly and overall build variety and differentiation improved by leaps and bounds.

It was also quite tough initially, which likely put a lot of people off, and is kinda strange given that overall in its complete form its unquestionably the easiest of their post-Nioh releases. Which isn't to say you can't make it hard as hell, just that you kinda have to opt-into max difficulty as opposed to simply grinding through the game/post-game.

Last edited:

digdug2

That shit where a guy used a grappling hook to fling himself onto a building, proceeded to hang glide off it, and then landed on his horse that was already at full speed was something.

Not going to lie, I think it sold me on the game due to how ludicrous it was.

Top Bottom