• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin | Preview Details

rise-of-the-ronin-screenshot-yokohama-4K-en-28mar23

• Play as a work-for-hire warrior (Ronin), called a "Veiled Edge"
  • Protagonist is a set character with a "fleshed-out backstory"
  • Freely explorable Japan: Yokohama, Kyoto, and Edo (Tokyo) with countryside and rural areas between cities
  • More grounded historical drama compared to Nioh and Wo Long; expect to meet real figures like Sakamoto Ryōma and Yoshida Shōin
  • Features decision-making and convos with multiple dialogue choices, a first for a Team Ninja game
  • Your decisions throughout the game will have an effect, multiple endings
  • Bond Missions: Helping specific characters to improve your relationship
  • Variety of weapon styles: katanas, polearms, guns, parrying, setting katana on fire for extra damage
  • Team Ninja says to expect the same tough challenge as their previous games
  • Rise of the Ronin will have multiple difficulty options
Via: Shinobi602

Full Article: https://www.gameinformer.com/previe...-its-first-open-world-where-you-shouldnt-kill

Fabieter

So basically a more realistic open world nioh because difficulty will still by a thing. I hope KT meets their expectations with this one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It will be cool seeing a Japanese studio's rendition of a historically accurate fuedal Japan. And multiple cities! That was one aspect that was sorely missing from GOT

Like the Nioh games it supports 3 person co-op. Unclear about the progression system though
Team Ninja is very arcadey, and they do lots of historical stuff at Tecmo like Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Remains to be seen how historically accurate this is going to be. I think you have a kite for flying around.

Team Ninja is very arcadey, and they do lots of historical stuff at Tecmo like Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Remains to be seen how historically accurate this is going to be. I think you have a kite for flying around.
It was stated in one of the interviews that the combat is still over the top acardey like the Nioh game. But the story overall sounds very grounded. The flying kite was even mentioned as having historical accuracy blueprints of its existence during the mid 19th century

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Any info on why it looks like a mid-gen PS4 game?

What the fuck happened to this studio? Ninja Gaiden used to be cutting edge visually.

What a horrendous fall off.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Can I go to Kyoto and visit Nintendo headquarters?

Sounds fun. I like the descriptions. Now show me some gameplay.

What the fuck happened to this studio? Ninja Gaiden used to be cutting edge visually.

Team Ninja develops deep and complex gameplay systems that doesn't appeal to casual gamers. So, they don't have the luxury of 200 million dollar budgets like other AAA blockbusters because of it. Sacrificing graphics for gameplay is a minor gripe when everything else is so deep and engaging for fans of the genre. Plus, this game will have 3 person co-op, so that puts limits on graphic fidelity as well

But on the flip side, the development time is much shorter than your average AAA game, which I will happily take

Last edited:

Elios83

For me it's a really exciting project, I love the setting, I loved the Nioh games and it's great Sony is giving them the budget to be way more ambitious than usual with open world, more attention to the story and the impact of decisions made by the player while also expanding to a wide audience with multiple difficulty levels.
I just want to see a good dedicated State of Play to make my preorder.

Being cutting edge today requires a huge budget, a huge team, a super long development cycle and expecting to sell millions of units to recoup costs.
It was easy to do in the PS2 era where simply raising the texture resolution, polygon count and adding anti-aliasing was considered cutting edge.
Not every developer/publisher can afford such risks and especially many japanese developers can't take these risks.
Do you think Elden Ring looks amazing technically?
Sega is making a Persona 3 remake that looks like a PS3 game and so on.
Nintendo doesn't even take part in the cutting edge race.
Rise of the Ronin is an obvious step up compared to the Nioh games and the recent Wo-Long while also going open world which must be incredibily taxing on their engine.

Hopefully it's not a lootfest like Nioh and not as hard.

I'm always interested in samurai action but Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima were just awhile ago so I'm a bit fatigued by the subject. Let's see.

linko9

If this is like an open world Ninja Gaiden or Nioh, sounds great. Please no loot!

Looks nice visually, I wonder if some people are truly unable to derive enjoyment from playing any game not made in the current decade.

StueyDuck

So what's the deal with this game and Co-op?

The launch trailer very clearly showed character swapping as well as scenes where it looked like a co-op partner running along. Team Ninja have been good at incorporating a form of co-op (not well implemented in some instances) in their last few games. Finally if you look on the PSN pre-order page it very clearly says up to 3 players online.

So is this game actually co-op? i haven't seen any official mentions of it being so, and 3 player online could just be some shitty horde mode or something.

I really hope this is co-op, if it is then it's probably my GOTY and i haven't even played it haha.

Ywap

They make such great games, loved both Nioh 2 and Wo Long. I just wish they could improve the graphics a notch or two 👍

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They make such great games, loved both Nioh 2 and Wo Long. I just wish they could improve the graphics a notch or two 👍
For me as long as they deliver on aesthetics and atmosphere of it’s time period then I’m happy, I don’t care if the graphics are high tech or not……that didn’t stop me from enjoying games like Armored Core VI.

Last edited:

Ywap

For me as long as they deliver on aesthetics and atmosphere of it’s time period then I’m happy, I don’t if graphics are high t tech or not……that didn’t stop me from enjoying games like Armored Core VI.
Same here, but i wouldn't complain if it improved a bit 👍

And Wo Long had some stuttering problems on PC at launch but hopefully it was patched.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Will Rise of the Ronan be more like Nioh, more like Ghost of Tsushima, or more like Assassin’s Creed?

I’m reading that it’s “not really a soulslike”

“While Rise of Ronin won’t be a Soulslike, some elements will remain.”

Kamina

Golden Boy
Will Rise of the Ronan be more like Nioh, more like Ghost of Tsushima, or more like Assassin’s Creed?

I’m reading that it’s “not really a soulslike”

“While Rise of Ronin won’t be a Soulslike, some elements will remain.”
It seems like a Mix between Ghost of Tsushima, Elden Ring and Assassins Creed to me.

I am honestly excited and i hope it will be a great success for Team Ninja.

Eiknarf

Banned
It seems like a Mix between Ghost of Tsushima, Elden Ring and Assassins Creed to me.

I am honestly excited and i hope it will be a great success for Team Ninja.
Hope it makes great use of the DualSense haptics and triggers

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m watching the latest footage, and got to wondering how an older, pre-gen game like Ghost of Tsushima looks a lil’ better than this brand new Rise of the Ronin game?

Was Rise of the Ronin supposed to come out on the PS4 and then get bumped?

Is Sucker Punch, who made Ghost of Tsushima, a bigger/better studio than Team Ninja who made Rise of the Ronin?

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. As long as the gameplay is good.

Yoboman

I’m watching the latest footage, and got to wondering how an older, pre-gen game like Ghost of Tsushima looks a lil’ better than this brand new Rise of the Ronin game?

Is Sucker Punch, who made Ghost of Tsushima, a bigger/better studio than Team Ninja who made Rise of the Ronin?

Like a lot of devs they seem to have an engine they are comfortable with and aren't chasing visuals as the highest priority. Why is it more of an issue here than From Software?

Eiknarf

Banned
Like a lot of devs they seem to have an engine they are comfortable with and aren't chasing visuals as the highest priority. Why is it more of an issue here than From Software?
Yeah good point
Im not dissing Rise Ronin, I’m complimenting Ghost Tsushima for achieving what they did

Fbh

Different studios with different priorities.
Ghost of Tsushima came out 6 years after the previous Sucker Punch game, it has now been 4 years since it came out and there's still no news about a sequel or new game from the studio. It's very likely we'll get a single game from them this entire gen.

Meanwhile Team Ninja released Nioh 2 the same year as Tsushima and since then have also released Stranger of Paradise, Wo Long and soon Rise of Ronin.

Some might argue "quality vs quantity" but personally I thought Nioh 2 was absolutely fantastic while Tsushima was just ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom