• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar developers have commented on the trailer leak: "It fucking sucks"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Rockstar was due to premiere its GTA 6 trailer on Tuesday. However, on Monday an anonymous X (formerly Twitter) account forced its hand by uploading a low-res and heavily watermarked version of the reveal video early.

Shortly after the leak, Rockstar published an official version of the trailer, writing:

“Our trailer has leaked so please watch the real thing on YouTube.”

Senior gameplay animator Javier Altman wrote on X (formerly Twitter) that the early publication of the much-anticipated reveal video had robbed them of plans to watch the live reaction with the rest of the development team.

“This fucking sucks,”

they wrote.

“I was hoping to watch this for the first time tomorrow along with my fellow teammates and coworkers. I feel we deserved that moment.”

Altman added:

“I’m so proud of what we are making. Enjoy the trailer, everyone.”

An hour after the GTA 6 trailer was officially published by Rockstar, the animator added:

“Literally crying tears of joy right now at the response everyone is having. I can’t believe I get to be a part of this.”

Last edited:

Fake

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

kiphalfton

“I was hoping to watch this for the first time tomorrow along with my fellow teammates and coworkers. I feel we deserved that moment.”

Yeah, I'm sure people indirectly stroking their egos would have resulted in them simultaneously cumming.

Why you gotta deprive them of that mane.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So maybe stop with the "announcement of an announcement of an announcement" shit that your publishers seems to love doing?

If people don't know what they are looking for and where to look for it, it would greatly reduce the risk of anything leaking out.
This. While it sucks to see their work leaked like that, I can't help but feel like they almost ask for it.
They know people are gonna look everywhere.

Muffdraul

Lol at the dev complaining about "wah but muh moment" =(

I miss the good ol' days, when studios just dropped new trailers out of nowhere. None of this fucking "announcement of an announcement" bullshit. Anyone who claims to like that sort of crap has a bizarre form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Quantum253

Lol at the dev complaining about "wah but muh moment" =(

I miss the good ol' days, when studios just dropped new trailers out of nowhere. None of this fucking "announcement of an announcement" bullshit. Anyone who claims to like that sort of crap has a bizarre form of Stockholm Syndrome.
Developers also kept their content under heavy surveillance and released/uploaded right before release. Most are just hosted now sitting and waiting for a timer. Between a myriad of people who have access/hackers/etc., keeping these things under wraps is almost impossible now. Nintendo still holds on pretty tight though, very rarely do they have large content leak like this

Sleepwalker

You announced a trailer days in advance, so you brought this on yourself. Especially after demonstrating you're prone to leaks earlier in the year.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Utter confirmation it's legit. They shouldn't feel THAT bad. It's looking like a GENERATIONAL step up from GTA V, which I was doubting could be done.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So maybe stop with the "announcement of an announcement of an announcement" shit that your publishers seems to love doing?

If people don't know what they are looking for and where to look for it, it would greatly reduce the risk of anything leaking out.
If anything, this proves that you can just drop the trailer without any fanfare and people will watch it. 3 million likes on youtube in an hour. on a shadow drop.

in this day and age, people are online all the time. it sucks for watch parties and i hate myself for watching the leaked trailer but the real thing blew me away all over again. its not a big deal.

Sleepwalker

If anything, this proves that you can just drop the trailer without any fanfare and people will watch it. 3 million likes on youtube in an hour. on a shadow drop.

in this day and age, people are online all the time. it sucks for watch parties and i hate myself for watching the leaked trailer but the real thing blew me away all over again. its not a big deal.
Plus its a trailer, not the whole game leaking like every nintendo game or TLOUP2 story

Phase

Maybe don't take 10 years to make a sequel, then people would have less time/chances to leak your work.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I feel for the developers. Years and years of working your ass off, culminating into the big reveal tomorrow morning, only for some clout chasing piece of shit to spoil it.

It looks absolutely incredible though and they will still have a ton to celebrate tomorrow.

MiguelItUp

I feel for the developers. Years and years of working your ass off, culminating into the big reveal tomorrow morning, only for some clout chasing piece of shit to spoil it.

It looks absolutely incredible though and they will still have a ton to celebrate tomorrow.
Yeah, it's a shame many don't understand. It's nothing deep. It's just a team that has worked extremely hard on something for several years and wanted to be experience it together as a group and celebrate when it first premiered/was revealed. Obviously they'll be fine, but it's just a shame to look forward to something like that, maybe even be planning something internally, only to have it not go as planned.

I love surprises, especially nowadays when I feel like they're so few and far between because almost everything leaks one way or another.

Game looks amazing though, and the look of Florida is definitely on point through and through.

Last edited:

LRKD

It really isn't that big of a deal having your trailer leak a few days early. Being upset the full game leaked early, happened to terraria, or being upset the entire script leaked early, fallout 4. Is entirely understandable and warranted, but these weak ass devs crying about a trailer we would've seen in a few days is ridiculous.

It really isn't that big of a deal having your trailer leak a few days early. Being upset the full game leaked early, happened to terraria, or being upset the entire script leaked early, fallout 4. Is entirely understandable and warranted, but these weak ass devs crying about a trailer we would've seen in a few days is ridiculous.
Or having your game on piratebay weeks before release lmao. Ah those were the day.

Johnny Depp Drinking GIF

wasn't it leaked by the son of an employee?

Here's a thought: maybe rockstar needs to train their staff better regarding NDAs?

ByWatterson

I don't want to be that guy, but maybe don't hide your work for a decade. If you want to get ahead of it, get ahead of it.

It's entertainment. Stuff leaks. Get over it.

Top Bottom