• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rod Fergusson leaving Coalition for Blizzard

jakinov

Big news. Don't think it was that big of a deal though, considering people move around all the time, I don't think he was particularly that great, and he never actually formed the studio himself but got hired at some point later.

j0hnnix

Gears making a comeback now.

Funny how some are saying MS buying Blizzard with Mike and Rod going over.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Rod is a legend. I really liked what he did with Gears 5 though he killed my boy JD... lol

Last edited:

jakinov

For blizzard?

Lol, yeah, great career choice.
He's going to work for a company that makes some of the most popular games today (and ever). He's going to be moving to California where the pay/compensation/perks is more competitive, there's a lot better talent, better food, probably better housing and better weather. He's going to work on a more popular game franchise whose last game sold probably more than 6x what the best selling Gears game sells

He jumped from Epic post Gears 3 to go work with Ken Levine on BioShock Infinite then came right back after that studio folded. (They did sort of just dissolve didn't they?)

I could see him working on Overwatch to some capacity. 🤔

Dabaus

Banned
Buddy either jumping ship before the Xbox division gets downsized after the abysmal earnings report last week. Or Microsoft wasn’t happy he turned one of their better franchises into an sjw strong waymen finds herself and becomes kween with watered down violence no smoking Sales failure. It came in 7th place when it was a sales juggernaut. Don’t “but game pass” at me please

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm honestly not sure what would compel somebody of any import to join modern Blizzard. Best of luck, but big IP or no, they ain't what they used to be.

Buddy either jumping ship before the Xbox division gets downsized after the abysmal earnings report last week. Or Microsoft wasn’t happy he turned one of their better franchises into an sjw strong waymen finds herself and becomes kween with watered down violence no smoking Sales failure. It came in 7th place when it was a sales juggernaut. Don’t “but game pass” at me please

Microsoft just dumped so much money into the Xbox division and you think they are closing the doors on studios? Give me a break.

Topfuel

Mikami left Capcom. Suzuki left Sega. Kamiya left Capcom. Jaffe left Sony. Capcom is doing alright. Sega is doing alright as a publisher. Sony is doing alright. People move. New blood come in.

Gargus

Banned
Gears has sucked since 3. Considering diablo is shaping up to be shit I'm guessing he will help solidify that.

At least the cinematic for diablo 4 was pretty fucking cool.

Codes 208

Gold Member
god dammit! Him staing was the only reason I gave 4 and 5 a chance to begin with.

Rod is a legend. I really liked what he did with Gears 5 though he killed my boy JD... lol
What a weird alternate reality. In the reality we live in it was Del who die

Aion002

I'm honestly not sure what would compel somebody of any import to join modern Blizzard. Best of luck, but big IP or no, they ain't what they used to be.
119-1199911_raining-money-gif-transparent-no-background-money-gif.png

Also: Better working conditions, more power of decisions, bigger team, less stress, less risks, new place, new challenges and any other reason that might be.... But in my opnion... 99% of everything boils it down to money.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this means he is super passionate about Diablo and will be a good shepherd to the series. It needs someone like Fergusson to really guide it forward. I just hope he's the right guy.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Don't like nor find interest in God of War either. Don't get all slick just because of my opinion on disliking the current Gears.
Shut up, foo! I don't care if you like Gears or not. Hell, I'm still working on it myself. Great game just too much story watching for me. Fucking Sony fanboys and their cursed third person, narrative driven, walking simulators with daddy issues... Fuck y'all. Lol

splattered

He is too distracted and scattered as a person right now.

Dont want him just to consult on the franchise.

If he can't handle the stress he doesnt deserve to work on it.

Consulting is just a cash grab, especially in a situation like this.

What the studio really needs now is a focused and fully committed replacement studio head.

Shut up, foo! I don't care if you like Gears or not. Hell, I'm still working on it myself. Great game just too much story watching for me. Fucking Sony fanboys and their cursed third person, narrative driven, walking simulators with daddy issues... Fuck y'all. Lol
You got issues 😂 please seek help! If you honestly think I'm a Sony Fanboy, you got your skull full of sand and tumble weeds rolling... Cool down hot sauce

Chiggs

Gold Member
He's going to be moving to California where....probably better housing...

Thanks for showing us how much you don’t know about California. The state is in the middle of an epic housing crisis. Good luck finding a home in a decent area and NOT being outbid by a Chinese investor paying in cash.

Top Bottom