• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rod Fergusson leaving Coalition for Blizzard

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Can we get one centralized industry churn thread going? These don't all need their own thread.

D3SCHA1N

Shut up, foo! I don't care if you like Gears or not. Hell, I'm still working on it myself. Great game just too much story watching for me. Fucking Sony fanboys and their cursed third person, narrative driven, walking simulators with daddy issues... Fuck y'all. Lol

Gears 1 had more slow walk and talk sequences than God of War 2018...

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Or The Initiative since the rumors are always floating around when Perfect Dark is mentioned. New pic with Xbox P3 and Drew playing a game. Check it out
LOL I follow all of them and post them here in NeoGaf. Initiative game has something to do with that Mark Lawrence short story.'
Drew Murray liked this tweet.

N68LeiS.png

Now we are getting somewhere

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Gears can only become better now, but it's already impossible for Blizzard to become shittier.

C'mon Cliffy B, creator of Halo... Save Gears of War! PLEASE!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I want CliffyB to stay away. Dude is just seeking attention at this point. This is the same guy who said "I hate Xbox, Xbox fanboys are always salty" to sell Lawbreakers to PS4 users.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah bring back Cliffy B. I am not fan of this fat fuck, but this shit is classic:

(Gears without him sucked)

GooseMan69

Used to be a huge Gears fan in high school. The first game was the ultimate “holy fuck I can’t believe this is a real game” next gen experience, as they call it. It was truly unlike anything that came before it. That game had a really cool campy horror action vibe to it, not unlike the Resident Evil series. I think the gradual departure away from that tone is what stagnated the series. They tried so fucking hard to be taken seriously, starting with the Maria BS in 2, and culminating in dozens of “please be sad” scenes in Gears 3. I haven’t played 4 or 5, but from what I’ve seen, it seems they’ve doubled down on the ultra serious tone.

That stuff works well for some games, if they have great writers who can actually sell it (Naughty Dog, Rockstar). Gears was never able to sell it, which is fine! Not every game needs to have these multidimensional characters. The problem is they tried to force it. To bring up the RE comparison again, look at how iconic their protagonists are. None of them are “deep” or “complex”. At all. But they’re still relatable and likable.

The Tomb Raider series has the same problem. Lara Croft used to be a super confident and cool wise cracking adventurer. Now she just feels so bad about shit man 😔so sad am I right

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
All I am saying is that gears SUCK after Cliff left the studio.
Rod did not helped with anything. 1-3 are amazing. Others were merely shadows of former original games

Enjay

Banned
Mikami left Capcom. Suzuki left Sega. Kamiya left Capcom. Jaffe left Sony. Capcom is doing alright. Sega is doing alright as a publisher. Sony is doing alright. People move. New blood come in.
Exactly, and if you look at that those developers today you can see that they needed those companies wayyyyy more than those companies needed them.

SleepDoctor

Banned

I honestly didn't expect this. Microsoft would be stupid not to take him up on his offer.

Gears could hopefully return to a darker gritty theme again. Im actually surprised nobody's shitted on rod for microtransactions or anything on twitter, or maybe he's blocking people lol.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is a huge loss. The guy is legendary when it comes to getting games made.

Im not going to claim he is a legend and that his games are masterpieces, but he knows how to get good/fun games made.

He was the one who saved Bioshock Infinite.

Lol, Blizzard is hiring some random dude to "oversee" the Diablo franchise? They don't have any current employees capable of doing that job? Guess no one gives a shit over there.

jakinov

Thanks for showing us how much you don’t know about California. The state is in the middle of an epic housing crisis. Good luck finding a home in a decent area and NOT being outbid by a Chinese investor paying in cash.
I explicitly used the word "probably" because I don't know a lot lot about Irvine California or have a crystal ball on to what will happen. I don't know a lot about Irvine but I made the assumption that SF and LA have worst cases so thats why I picked a side. Vancouver in Canada where the Coalition is located is notorious there for having really a really bad housing market also being negatively affected by Chinese investors.

Different researches have different ways of measuring affordability and if a market is overpriced/overvalued or bad/like-to-fail or whatever. But the commonality is that Vancouver is often topping the charts.

DiA4nweUcAAtDMg

buildings-stand-at-the-whampoa-gardens-residential-development-managed-by-ck-asset-holdings-ltd-in-hong-kong-china-on-monday-july-30-2018-ck-asset-is-scheduled-to-report-half-year-earnings-results-on-aug-2-photographer-paul-yeung-bloomberg.png

12XcRk8.png

Arachnid

I'll have two of whatever you're smoking
Just a proper dose of reality.

No bullshit deaths as a result of split second framerate/chance (mostly; 60 frames is a god send), no stupid free kill sawed offs, tons of symmetrical/well designed/fair maps, great new weapon pickups (along with tried and true older pickups), fuck tons of unlockables characters/cosmetics/customization, and Gears 5 had arguably the best campaign in the series (my favorite is still Gears 2, but 5 isn't far behind). People need to take off the rose tinted glasses. ESPECIALLY in regards to Gears 3 (fucking awful campaign, and the sawed off ran rampant in multiplayer since you spawned with it; retro as a spawn in was bs too).

Truth is that "pure" 3rd person cover based shooters got old years ago
God no. I'll take third person shooters over first person any day of the week.

Last edited:

jakinov

Truth is that "pure" 3rd person cover based shooters got old years ago
I dunno about that. For me, the best parts of Uncharted and Tomb Raider for me are the fighting parts. Jumping at ledges marked in white with very very low chance of failure and doing puzzles that are basically look for the pattern somewhere else in the room or push some middle button to see some sketch/map to figure out how to solve the "puzzle".

Gears is a tired franchise, put it to bed for 10 years and do something else.

My suggestion - buy the Turrican IP from whoever owns it and make a AAA 3rd person Metroidvania style game with it 👌

Used to be a huge Gears fan in high school. The first game was the ultimate “holy fuck I can’t believe this is a real game” next gen experience, as they call it. It was truly unlike anything that came before it. That game had a really cool campy horror action vibe to it, not unlike the Resident Evil series. I think the gradual departure away from that tone is what stagnated the series. They tried so fucking hard to be taken seriously, starting with the Maria BS in 2, and culminating in dozens of “please be sad” scenes in Gears 3. I haven’t played 4 or 5, but from what I’ve seen, it seems they’ve doubled down on the ultra serious tone.

That stuff works well for some games, if they have great writers who can actually sell it (Naughty Dog, Rockstar). Gears was never able to sell it, which is fine! Not every game needs to have these multidimensional characters. The problem is they tried to force it. To bring up the RE comparison again, look at how iconic their protagonists are. None of them are “deep” or “complex”. At all. But they’re still relatable and likable.

The Tomb Raider series has the same problem. Lara Croft used to be a super confident and cool wise cracking adventurer. Now she just feels so bad about shit man 😔so sad am I right

This guy gets it. I laughed when Dom drove a wagon into locust. My friends were mad because they were sad!

Mista

Banned
For Blizzard though? Meh. If he stayed with Coalition better. Maybe the salary is better though

D3SCHA1N

God no. I'll take third person shooters over first person any day of the week.

Yeah, if 3rd person shooters got old years ago, most FPS games have been old for a decade or more... It's all just personal preference, I personally prefer 3rd person in general, though I'm not opposed to FP games. I'd choose to play Gears over something like Battlefield every time...

devilNprada

Why the hate on blizzard? Noone does mathematical gear formulas like blizzard. Doing the math, tinkering with gearsets... Constantly changing up the game... That Just sounds like cooler job to me..

njean777

I honestly didn't expect this. Microsoft would be stupid not to take him up on his offer.

Gears could hopefully return to a darker gritty theme again. Im actually surprised nobody's shitted on rod for microtransactions or anything on twitter, or maybe he's blocking people lol.

GearsOFWar reddit attacks The Coalition daily, most of the time rightfully so. They have fucked up Gears 5 MP and its still broken to this day if you like ranked.

Ten_Fold

People might hate cliff, but the first 3 gears games was some of my favorite shooters. I hated 4, and 5 was just ok. Bring cliff back.

DanielsM

Banned
Gears of War > Gears of War 2 > Gears of War 3 > Gears of War Judgment > who gives a fuck

I actually liked some of the mp modes in Judgment. Wake me up when there is remasters (not that GoW remastered that the Coalition did) on my platform of choice of 1-3, heck I would even do Judgment again.

Not sure how anyone works with Cliff (its like a strange self aware thing) though, imagine going into the office every day and he acts like that - that would get old quick. (punch to the face)

Last edited:
Top Bottom