• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree.
IMO it was faithful to the original idea that Godzilla was a force of nature that people had to endure and survive.
I think too many people wanted to see a movie about kaiju fighting while Edwards delivered a movie about people dealing with a disaster.

I get that it's wanting to focus more on the human elements. Unfortunately the only interesting human element is gone like 30 minutes into the movie. Afterwards it's basically a vignette of "the unlucky protagonist encounters big monsters again".

I enjoyed the movie as that.

Syriel

Are you speculating or are you sure. Don't tease me baby.

Not speculating.

One point of his did resonate with me, though, and it left me with a question that maybe somebody who has seen the film can answer:

Brody brings up the checklist-like way that the main cast is killed-off; now, I doubt that it's 1:1 to the actual film, but I have to ask: Are the deaths treated with an appropriate amount of weight, or is it a situation where they're kind of cast off and not really mentioned again for the sake of the action (I recall a review that ponders that Baze's name is rarely mentioned if at all) and pace?

Almost all felt appropriate to the scenes in question and the characters. There was only one early death that was arguably out of character and one "fake out" death that ended up being a deus ex machina.

I mean, why the hell would Denis Lawson return, he literally blew off (as in, ignored a request for a cameo without some significant GREEN) JJ for TFA.

To be frank, I was expecting mid 60s to low 70s due to the director. I am glad he was able to pull off better human characters. That was his big problem in his other films.

This is Gareth Edwards' best film by a country mile, especially on that count. I don't even know what a country mile is, but I know it basically means "like, by a fuckin' lot, dude," and this is that.

Raziel

Can't be a good sign when critics are throwing around criticisms (hacky) you largely had to wait to hear from non critics about TFA.

5 hours to Rogue One for me. Will give my impressions.

I'm not hyped up for the movie, which is good. Just hoping it would be a fun romp.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
9h 30 min left

Seeing it tomorrow, 1PM at BFI Imax in London. Cannot wait.

Seeing it again at 10.15pm on Friday with my Dad (who saw ANH when he finished his first year at Uni. So. Yeah. Hope i enjoy it :p

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Tomorrow at 18:10 for me, I think it'll be an easy enough wait, not a lot of people will have seen it yet.

Impressions are sounding pretty positive. Trying to be reserved.

Osahi

Just back from it. Won't spoil anything, but I enjoyed it very, very much.

I came in not knowing what to expect qualitywise (though I loved the trailers), and came out very happy with what I saw.

Jb

I thought it was okay. Definitely reminded me of Godzilla in that there was some beautiful imagery and good action but all the stuff with humans talking with each other was fairly plodding and dull. The first half is way too exposition heavy and little of it is done in a very interesting way. I don't think Edwards is a very good actor's director, which is a shame for a film with so much dialogue. Also the main actress was pretty flat, not sure if it's the script, if she's done great stuff in other movies or if her blandness was done in purpose to make her a better self-insert character. Overall scenes of characters talking to each other were stilted in a way those in TFA were fluid and engaging, and I dont think it's just because of the darker tone.

CGI old actors are so fucking creepy. The uncanny valley is even worse now that they're so close.

Lebron

GF got us tickets tomorrow at 7pm for the IMAX showing. She hadn't watched SW at all till about 2 weeks ago (watched the OT with her), but she's pretty excited to see it now (or she at least knows to act like it lol).

Just one more day....

Syriel

Bobby pls

pls

I said think about the story and you'll have your answer.
Never said the character was specifically called out. :) Red Squadron is there, but the character isn't highlighted because the actor wasn't cast.

Because
the dudes who played Red Leader and Gold Leader in ANH apparently reprise their roles, though to be honest, I don't know if that's a CG-enhanced visual cameo or audio calls. Maybe Bobby can answer.

Those two are actually seen in visual, in-cockpit shots, as they lead their respective squadrons.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm waiting for the Blu-ray, so the longest 4 months of my life begins tonight. Started by purging my twitter of Star Wars related accounts.

Wish me luck y'all, see you guys in April.

bill0527

I thought it was okay. Definitely reminded me of Godzilla in that there was some beautiful imagery and good action but all the stuff with humans talking with each other was fairly plodding and dull. The first half is way too exposition heavy and little of it is done in a very interesting way. I don't think Edwards is a very good actor's director, which is a shame for a film with so much dialogue. Also the main actress was pretty flat, not sure if it's the script, if she's done great stuff in other movies or if her blandness was done in purpose to make her a better self-insert character. Overall scenes of characters talking to each other were stilted in a way those in TFA were fluid and engaging, and I dont think it's just because of the darker tone.

CGI old actors are so fucking creepy. The uncanny valley is even worse now that they're so close.

This would fully explain why George Lucas fell in love with Rogue One.

mrkgoo

Just saw it. I thought it was awesome.

It starts if at a blistering pace to get the background stuff out of the way. Maybe too fast. But that back end. OMG

Just came back like 10 sec ago.

IT THE REAL DEAL AGAIN FOLKS AND GUESS WHAT IS FUCKING BETTER THEN EMPIRE.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT REALLY REALLY REALLY IS THE BEST SW MOVIE EVER MADE IT WAS INCREDIBLE !!!!

Some a few min to write up some more thoughts but for now it's the real deal.

STILL IN AWH about it.

teeny

STILL IN AWH about it.

idontbelieveyou.gif

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member

STILL IN AWH about it.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

EDIT : Damn, busted.

robotrock

Banned

STILL IN AWH about it.

saw it 10 seconds ago and declared it better than the GOAT star wars movie

ok can you see why this is silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom