• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

And there it is.

jGvtc56.png
c3p0.gif

rhino4evr

I have a hard time taking the "certified fresh" rating when it counts "C" ratings as positive. It also doesn't fair well that the average score is 7.6. Hype adjusted

OSHAN

Godzilla was awesome.

godzilla-march-trailer-8.jpg

Looking at that pic just makes me want to watch it again.

Anyway, seeing Rogue One next week. Looking forward to it.

The one extremely negative review on Metacritic was written by a guy who thinks AOTC and ROTS are the two best Star Wars movies:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/ri...is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

I can almost accept the people who say Revenge is good, not that it is, but if you grew up with the prequels then it might be your favorite and it does have some cool moments.

There is no way in hell I can accept any argument that Clones is anywhere near even mediocre.

Godzilla was awesome.

godzilla-march-trailer-8.jpg

Looking at that pic just makes me want to watch it again.

Anyway, seeing Rogue One next week. Looking forward to it.

I totally agree.
IMO it was faithful to the original idea that Godzilla was a force of nature that people had to endure and survive.
I think too many people wanted to see a movie about kaiju fighting while Edwards delivered a movie about people dealing with a disaster.

The one extremely negative review on Metacritic was written by a guy who thinks AOTC and ROTS are the two best Star Wars movies:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/ri...is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

One point of his did resonate with me, though, and it left me with a question that maybe somebody who has seen the film can answer:

Brody brings up the checklist-like way that the main cast is killed-off; now, I doubt that it's 1:1 to the actual film, but I have to ask: Are the deaths treated with an appropriate amount of weight, or is it a situation where they're kind of cast off and not really mentioned again for the sake of the action (I recall a review that ponders that Baze's name is rarely mentioned if at all) and pace?

Oersted

I have a hard time taking the "certified fresh" rating when it counts "C" ratings as positive. It also doesn't fair well that the average score is 7.6. Hype adjusted

The trick is using Rotten for looking for well written reviews, which explain their opinions about a movie in a reasonable and well written manner.

Not for using the score as evidence how great your taste or beloved movie/franchise is, like most, including me, do.

Nothing insightful ever came out of aggregated score. Look for words.

I totally agree.
IMO it was faithful to the original idea that Godzilla was a force of nature that people had to endure and survive.
I think too many people wanted to see a movie about kaiju fighting while Edwards delivered a movie about people dealing with a disaster.

The people were horrendously misshandled and misscast.

duckroll

I totally agree.

Yes, I'm sure I only wanted to see a movie about kaiju fighting instead of Godzilla being a force of nature. Which explains why I think Hideki Anno's Shin Godzilla, a movie about Godzilla being a force of nature with no kaiju fighting whatsoever, is one of the best movies I've seen this year, and I'm dropping a hundred bucks to buy the 560 page hardcover production book. I'm also sure that explains why I think Garth Edward's Godzilla, a movie about Godzilla fighting some dumbass kaiju rejects from Cloverfield, was a huge missed opportunity after setting up amazing atmosphere and dread in the first third of the film.

Yeah, people just wanted a movie about giant monsters fighting, and he totally delivered a movie about people dealing with a disaster. That's right. Lol. Maybe if he actually "delivered" on any human element of the film, people would not have been worried about his ability to direct a Star Wars film which is seemingly about a group of people, human beings, interacting with each other. :p

Yes, I'm sure I only wanted to see a movie about kaiju fighting instead of Godzilla being a force of nature. Which explains why I think Hideki Anno's Shin Godzilla, a movie about Godzilla being a force of nature with no kaiju fighting whatsoever, is one of the best movies I've seen this year, and I'm dropping a hundred bucks to buy the 560 page hardcover production book. I'm also sure that explains why I think Garth Edward's Godzilla, a movie about Godzilla fighting some dumbass kaiju rejects from Cloverfield, was a huge missed opportunity after setting up amazing atmosphere and dread in the first third of the film.

Yeah, people just wanted a movie about giant monsters fighting, and he totally delivered a movie about people dealing with a disaster. That's right. Lol. Maybe if he actually "delivered" on any human element of the film, people would not have been worried about his ability to direct a Star Wars film which is seemingly about a group of people, human beings, interacting with each other. :p

hqdefault.jpg

Movie of the year eh? Hahahaha!

Are you serious? Godzilla wasn't even in Shin Godzilla movie. That movie was GINO 2.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Well, it's good to know the maturity level of the people I'm talking to. Sorry I wasted my time.

Dw, duckroll, you have my sword.

I vastly prefer Shin over 2014, and this is despite the fact that the exposition dumps got a little overboard sometimes.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Gotta wait one more day :(

Sad fucking times.

It's always good to check in with a reviewer's personal preferences. Here's a taste for those who don't feel like clicking:

What endures for the critics and their lay associates, for aesthetes who live for the beauty and the pleasure of movies, is Lucas’s directing—of two films, “Attack of the Clones” and, especially, “Revenge of the Sith.” If Lucas had done nothing else in his life, he’d have an honored place in my personal pantheon for that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom