• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

And there it is.

jGvtc56.png
It rose? Awesome. Certified at 82.

SilentRob

For those who have seen or or have been reading spoilers, I got a question for ya.

As a Vader fan, will I be satisfied by his role in the movie? I read an interview where they said he doesn't have much of a role and I got a little bummed.

He is barely in the movie (2 1/2 scenes, maybe 7 minutes, has nothing to do with the plot or other characters) but his second scene is everything you want and more

For those who have seen or or have been reading spoilers, I got a question for ya.

As a Vader fan, will I be satisfied by his role in the movie? I read an interview where they said he doesn't have much of a role and I got a little bummed.

Kathy Kennedy said a while ago his role is small.

See a better man like Bronson or me wouldn't have froze like that. Stealth brag backfire.
Pffft, you ain't better than me.
Okay, in Action Figure GAF you are.
I really should've got a picture, though, then rubbed it in yo face.

I actually regret going on the last day of SW Celebration this year instead of the day before that because I missed the unexpected Hamill takeover of the stage.

Surfinn

Yay! The only Star Wars movies to not be Certified Fresh are Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace, and The Clone Wars (which to me always seemed like an extended episode of the TV show instead of an actual movie).
SW is back. Even if it's not perfect.

Kathy Kennedy said a while ago his role is small.

Small but fantastic.

Now watch this movie have a lower RT score but people like it way more than TFA

And by people
I mean me

Been feeling that way since it announced.

Why do you think I'm sneak attacking him from behind

Don't think that's what a chop block actually is though.

Pffft, you ain't better than me.
Okay, in Action Figure GAF you are.
I really should've got a picture, though, then rubbed it in yo face.

I actually regret going on the last day of SW Celebration this year instead of the day before that because I missed the unexpected Hamill takeover of the stage.

Yeah see you'll always have your Daisy pic but I'ma track down Hamill in Orlando for a pic and we gonna be square.

TheXbox

Exactly, you are never going to get a singular vision of something like the prequels ever again. These are movies by committee, and I'm okay with that. The best Star Wars films were collaborative efforts - Lucas was nothing without Gary Kurtz producing and Marcia Lucas editing.
Is there any evidence that new Star Wars films are made by committee? All three directors of the main saga films have writing credits, which would appear to give them a tremendous amount of creative control. Story group relies on their vision, not the other way around. Meanwhile much of the talent involved in the first six films - Kasdan, Burt, Williams, Chiang - remain involved.

So what's changed? The days of Lucas behaving like an inviolable visionary are behind us. It's fair to say that the movies are more collaborative. But what evidence is there that stories are being drafted by tables of executives, or that the films have been subject to studio tampering and focus testing? Rogue One reshoots?

Maybe the movie just sucked. Maybe Gareth actually wanted to do reshoots?

Timu

Yay! The only Star Wars movies to not be Certified Fresh are Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace, and The Clone Wars (which to me always seemed like an extended episode of the TV show instead of an actual movie).
Thank god, they don't deserve it. Though I'm shocked AOTC is fresh at 65%. Top critics is 40% though so rotten in that area.

It's been like two hours
2 hours too long.=p

Altairre

It kind of is but not really. Some scenes from that movie are in some episodes of the show but the context is different. It's fucking weird. That being said the show is awesome and the movie is a terrible representation.

Lebron

Why isn't it Thursday yet.

Well, that's what it originally was. Lucas decided to just release the first few eps as a movie for money and exposure.

Hagi

If this is just a film where Donnie Yen is awesome, I will be satisfied. :)

This is a prequel to Ip Man about his great great great great blind grandfather. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action, glad he got a role in the film that doesn't seem to be wasted.

Boke1879

He is barely in the movie (2 1/2 scenes, maybe 7 minutes, has nothing to do with the plot or other characters) but his second scene is everything you want and more

I can deal with that. As much as I love him at some point these movies are going to have to stand on their own. But if I'm satisfied by what he does I'm good.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
83 % RT score, meanwhile the superior Force Awakens (and best film in the series alongside Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith) stays at 92 %.

I remember all the Rogue One stans telling me it would be the best SW film. What happened? The decline is real.

v7DgWJn.gif

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Why do people care for the Tomatoes rating? Many films I like, they have lower scores and vice versa.

of course. unless it's a 0% it means there is some critic out there that likes it, which means some other people will like a movie too.

It's just one gauge.

Interesting to note the average rating is as high as Civil War and higher than Doctor Strange despite the % being significantly lower (83 v 90/91)

It seems like people who liked Rogue One REALLY liked it

hertog

positive early twitter impressions? consider me shocked.

Yup first twitter posts told me civil war was going to be an epic action thriller.
What I got was the most boring sterile movie in years ( who cares if they fight if you know nobody will ever get hurt)

Faynwulf

83 % RT score, meanwhile the superior Force Awakens (and best film in the series alongside Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith) stays at 92 %.

I remember all the Rogue One stans telling me it would be the best SW film. What happened? The decline is real.

v7DgWJn.gif

Take a look at some of the "rotten" reviews. I'd say most of them sound completely positive until they pull something out of their ass. Personally I don't know that it will be better than TFA. It's a Star Wars Movie what do you want more?

Surfinn

From the consensus on RT:

"Rogue One draws deep on Star Wars mythology while breaking new narrative and aesthetic ground -- and suggesting a bright blockbuster future for the franchise."

Very interested in the bolded. That's what makes SW for me, so I wonder what they mean by this in the context of the film.

v7DgWJn.gif

Dude the scores can mean absolutely nothing depending on taste (aside from hitting like 0% which somebody already mentioned above).

For example I really don't like the first or second Star Trek movies JJ did. But those are sitting at like 95 and 88 or something.

And some people loathe TFA and that's sitting at 92. Don't freak out.

Or unless this is sarcasm.

mrkgoo

Did we watch the same movie?

Yeah, I don't get it, it was a super hero movie. Since when do the superheroes ever really get hurt anyway? In this vein, I found Civil War to actually have some stakes, and
the bad guy won in the end anyway, and some of the superheroes DID get hurt

Dude the scores can mean absolutely nothing depending on taste (aside from hitting like 0% which somebody already mentioned above).

For example I really don't like the first or second Star Trek movies JJ did. But those are sitting at like 95 and 88 or something.

And some people loathe TFA and that's sitting at 92. Don't freak out.
Never take his posts seriously haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom