• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Regarding the Vader stuff.
I would have CUT out all the vader scenes except the last one. The other scenes were on the cheesy side. And they did not add to the movie. We dont need exposition on who Vader is. But that final scene where he shows up and wrecks shit was powerfull. And it is good enough to stand by itself. And it would have been MORE powerfullI felt if that was his first and only appearance

First off, please use spoiler tags.

The scene where Vader speaks to Krennic shows that Vader is aware that Galen Erso may have implanted a flaw within the Death Star. This actually provides stronger motivation for why Vader and the Empire are so desperate to retrieve the Death Star plans in A New Hope.

CloudWolf

For me, no definitely not. Can't explain it without spoiling, but it warrants its 12+ rating imo, it's the least child friendly Star Wars.

I don't agree, Empire is darker and less kid-friendly than this film, nothing can beat that decapitation in ESB. Rogue One comes in at second place, though.

Honestly, if your kids could handle TFA and love Star Wars, I see no reason not to take them to this film (and show them the OT afterwards, it's your duty as a good father).

DJwest

Disappointing two thirds, and then it becomes a different movie. Definitely preferred the Force Awakens. Apart from Donnie and K2, I didn't care for any of the characters. Disappointing movie.

I don't agree, Empire is darker and less kid-friendly than this film, nothing can beat that decapitation in ESB. Rogue One comes in at second place, though.

Honestly, if your kids could handle TFA and love Star Wars, I see no reason not to take them to this film (and show them the OT afterwards, it's your duty as a good father).
There's a decapitation in Revenge of the Sith and this is probably the most violent and terrifying
Vader
has ever been.

I was bored for most of the film. Didn't care about the characters at all. Lack of humor, dark,dingy settings all in keeping with Edwards' style. The obvious reshoots tried to perk up the action late in the game, but didn't really work for me. Heavily transparent CGI "characters" also seemed right at odds with the "practical"-favored approach Abrams took with TFA -- but it seems like the fans don't care, so it matters little.

An intriguing premise, but the overwhelmingly depressing tone and unappealing characters made this a grind at times. Seems like the fanboys will eat up anything and everything with the brand on it -- which is kind of sad, because this "product" is inferior.

I was bored for most of the film. Didn't care about the characters at all. Lack of humor, dark,dingy settings all in keeping with Edwards' style. The obvious reshoots tried to perk up the action late in the game, but didn't really work for me. Heavily transparent CGI "characters" also seemed right at odds with the "practical"-favored approach Abrams took with TFA -- but it seems like the fans don't care, so it matters little.

An intriguing premise, but the overwhelmingly depressing tone and unappealing characters made this a grind at times. Seems like the fanboys will eat up anything and everything with the brand on it -- which is kind of sad, because this "product" is inferior.

Seems like cynics can't comprehend that others have differing opinions and believe there's is the only one that matters thus throwing insults to all those who feel similarly.

You must be fun to be around.

DJwest

Seems like cynics can't comprehend that others have differing opinions and believe there's is the only one that matters thus throwing insults to all those who feel similarly.

You must be fun to be around.
It was a really boring movie until the last third though. But yeah, no need for fanboy labels here.

It was a really boring movie until the last third though. But yeah, no need for fanboy labels here.
There's nothing wrong with saying you dislike it, but why go the length to insult everyone that did? Just makes you look like an asshole.
Not speaking about you specifically of course but the other poster.

scitek

I really wonder how the CinemaScore for this film is an A. With it being such a bummer I wonder why the average isn't slightly lower. Disney must've tweaked it a lot to elicit this sort of response from audiences.

A strong ending can do a lot in forming an overall opinion because it's the freshest thing in your mind.

A strong ending can do a lot in forming an overall opinion because it's the freshest thing in your mind.

Correct. I wasn't into any of it until the climax, which had me trying to second-guess myself. In the end I still didn't buy into it because the well-done climax and swelling music was almost trying to trick me into thinking I cared, but it was still extremely well done there at the end. Shame about the characters, which would have completely landed the movie for me ten-fold.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Good movie. I get why people at work thought it was the best Star Wars movie ever. Dark but still humorous. Some things I did not like. Certain call backs seemed "forced" while others were flat out awesome. Even though you kinda know what has to happen (being that its a prequel) it's still rather fun getting there.

5, 4, R, 3, 7 , 6, 1, 2.

Need to see it again to confirm these rankings.

Elandyll

Banned
Well, took the kids and they loved it.

Tad bit darker than I hoped, but nothing that made them shudder as they were either tuning out (the little one during the talking) or too amazed by the robots/ aliens/ spaceships to care (the older one).

Liked the movie a lot, even if very light on characters (loved K2sO though), as it sets the situation for A New Hope very well and even clarifies a lot of minor details for the fans.

The battle sequences were top notch.

My trailers (early morning session):

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
PotC5
Dunkirk
spider-Man
TF5
FF8
smurfs
Boss Baby

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just saw it and my immediate reaction is that this is my least favorite of all the SW movies (and I really don't like TPM). The writing and pacing were bad but the bigger problem is that the leads were just not up to the task. When Jyn (what does that tell you that t I had to go look up her name just to type this sentence?) gives her speech at rebel HQ they were definitely going for Pullman in Independence Day but it was so non-convincing/contrived it felt like her audience and the movie's audience were all like "yay team?", "ok I guess", "well maybe we can try". I loved the casting of Rey, Finn and Kylo in TFA so not sure what happened here. Is a Star Wars movie without a single memorable character really a Star Wars movie? Debatable.

Vader at the end was great but I swear I almost fell asleep the first half of the movie.

Edit: My niece, nephew (both mid-late teens) hated it. My preteen daughter and her friend fell asleep (although they were up very late last night for a sleepover). My 10yr old son loved it (and it wasn't too dark for him at all).

spekkeh

Banned

I guess it depends on whether you think certain shots or overarching themes are worse.

I find it odd that people were bored through the first half of the film. I was totally into it from the first minute. Wasn't bored at all.

blackjaw

I enjoyed it

What I really loved was the world hopping in the first half. I love seeing new places in the Star Wars universe and how sci-fi and sometimes dingy these places can be. Super cool Jedi temples and real fun run down "blade runner-ish" city

I need to see this movie again.

I felt nothing watching it. I really did not enjoy it. I'm so confused by the praise. After a second viewing I'll weigh in more heavily, either doubling down or having a different opinion.

Lego Boss

I find it odd that people were bored through the first half of the film. I was totally into it from the first minute. Wasn't bored at all.

Yes, this is the second film I have seen in arrow at the cinema where I felt that every minute counted: Arrival and this. I wasn't bored at all, it was a slow burner, but the timing for me is right on the money.

I really loved this film and I am impressed by the current state of the art in ski fi cinema, it looks like it's going in the right direction.

Just need Cruiser to do another Edge of Tomorrow then we can all retire happy.

MikeDown

Banned
Loved the visuals, but my god that film was an absolute mess! Story was incoherent & disjointed, characters were lack luster & forgettable, and that shaky camera was over the top and not needed in many scenes.
James Earl Jones phoned it in as Darth Vader
, really disappointed. Worse cannon Star Wars film since Attack of the Clones.

Loved the visuals, but my god that film was an absolute mess! Story was incoherent & disjointed, characters were lack luster & forgettable, and that shaky camera was over the top and not needed in many scenes.
James Earl Jones phoned it in as Darth Vader
, really disappointed. Worse cannon Star Wars film since Attack of the Clones.

RVBi3T1.gif

I feel the same way. Sure, it wasn't The Godfather in terms of acting and story development, but I feel like some people aren't entertained unless people are constantly fighting or blowing shit up.

It's a damn good thing we have the Avengers movies for that crowd.

Same. The final act's my favourite part of the film but I still really enjoyed the buildup. The opening on Lah'mu is still one of the best scenes of the film.

Half in the Bag: Rogue One

Redlettermedia on point as usual

They're right in that it's just such a limited universe - that's why so many of them revolve around blowing up a Death Star in some form. It's a few simple ideas and writer after writer has failed to really find new things to do with them beyond that first, initial Hero's Journey with Luke.

It feels the same as the Terminator franchise - all they can do is either remake the original or riff on it in a way that undoes it. Maybe that was the problem with The Matrix as well - the original SEEMS to promise a universe full of possibilities, but the moment they try to expand it you realize there's not much there.

Setzer

Saw it Friday and enjoyed it. Had some issues with the dialogue and pacing of the film and the use of
CG characters
kinda felt out of place but overall I thought it was good. Will definitely see it again at some point but I liked it more than TFA.

Saw it yesterday. Quick question:
if the Empire knew the Death Star had a flaw in the main reactor, why on earth would they rebuild it with the EXACT SAME FLAW in Return of the Jedi?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
if the Empire knew the Death Star had a flaw in the main reactor, why on earth would they rebuild it with the EXACT SAME FLAW in Return of the Jedi?

It's not the same flaw. In rotj they fly into the core and blow the main power. Something that wouldn't be possible if they had finished construction. Or, that's how I see it. Generally I think things blow up a bit too easy in OT Star Wars. I like the weight of the destruction in Rogue One.

Setzer

Well the 2nd one wasn't completed so the reactor core was exposed and if they had finished it I don't think you would have been able to destroy it with a single torpedo shot into the exhaust port.

Shaanyboi

Banned

They don't. In A New Hope, the shot on the exhaust port triggers a chain reaction leading to the reactor.

In Return of the Jedi, there's an actual entryway into the superstructure. Which seems sillier at first, but remember that the whole battle at the end of ROTJ was a scheme by the Emperor to lure the Rebels in close and to wipe them out. So much so that them having the information at all was an intentional leak. The Rebels thought the thing wasn't even finished. The Empire made the Death Star II's weakness as enticing as possible to trap them.

They just weren't expecting... teddy bears.

"When you try to make a Star Wars beyond X-Wings, Tie Fighters and Lightsabers, it's just bad"

Yeah, fuck these guys.
Did you watch the whole thing? They say they would have liked a better story with more character development and less fan service. That's exactly the opposite of that statement.

Don't worry, I had the same opinions as you. My friends won't stop barraging me.

The Indian food I had afterwards had more flavor than this film.

Jazzem

they seem super jaded and are just trying to hate just to hate and have an opposing opinion.

Always a rational reaction to criticism one disagrees with :D

Did you watch the whole thing? They say they would have liked a better story with more character development and less fan service. That's exactly the opposite of that statement.

Exactly, that quoted statement is such an oversimplification of their argument.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Finally saw it today!

Great movie even though I bored to tears during the first hour. The last...45 minutes? or so really felt like a special moment in Star Wars.

Time to read all about how I'm wrong and this movie was actually shit or the most mediocre thing ever!

I dont think they were looking for problems cause they loved the force awakens. To me it seems like what they want out of movies is interesting characters and a better story, which TFA supplied even if the plot was a carbon copy of ANH.

JackDT

Rogue One directly critiques my biggest moral problem with TFA, as echoed by this review:

A New Hope featured the destruction of a single planet, Alderaan, and its destruction was marked and mourned by Obi-wan, who felt a disturbance in the Force "as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." Nobody, by contrast, seemed to mourn or feel much besides "that's a shame" when nine planets were destroyed in The Force Awakens. It's not a pretty portrait of how far we've come: In 2015, Star Wars explosions were bigger, the death count was astronomically greater, and we cared a great deal less.

That's why Rogue One is such an important and welcome corrective. Edwards respects death more than he respects spectacle. He makes it count. He wanted to tell a story about the grunts on the ground — about the little people who live on these planets. Thanks to him, the horrors of the Death Star feel real instead of merely narrative or worse, cool. (I'm almost tempted to read a scene where Tarkin and Krennic admire the Death Star at work as a winking critique of The Force Awakens, which chose to show the equivalent of several holocausts at a similarly cold and beautiful remove. We don't even learn the names of all the annihilated planets.)

Scale has always been a challenge for Star Wars. How do you balance a dynastic story about Skywalker fathers and sons against a story about entire rebel armies and Empires and intergalactic systems of government? One answer might be: You don't. The family stuff will always overshadow the suffering of the anonymous hordes. The fighters will always be a garnish to the melodramatic main course.

Focused and well-plotted, the film indulges in the franchise's usual explosions and epic battle scenes, but it understands casualties and causality and the ugly compromises of war too, and knits individual arcs into the larger stakes without thoroughly mangling both. Above all, though, it understands what Star Wars was going for not just visually — though it certainly gets that right — but ethically.

http://theweek.com/articles/667786/...links&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=twitter

HotHamBoy

Yeah, I have been debating seeing this film for awhile. This is what my friend text me today:

"I saw rogue one last night. Decent, but unexceptional."

Based on my skim through the last two oages of this thread and my friend's tastes, I'm going tongive it a hard pass.

I'll probably watch it when it hits bluray.

Can't wait for Disney to make Star Wars the most over-saturated franchise of all time! Or do we count "Marvel" as a franchise, now?

I need to see this movie again.

I felt nothing watching it. I really did not enjoy it. I'm so confused by the praise. After a second viewing I'll weigh in more heavily, either doubling down or having a different opinion.

Eh. Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman have their defenders, too. I'm sure this movie is far more competent and enjoyable than those. The bar is low these days.

Yea star killer base was easily the worst part of TFA. Not actually what happens there but just the pointless death star imitation and reckless killing without build up.

That mistake won't be made in VIII based on what I've seen from the directors other work.

Speaking as someone who loves TFA, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and liked it even more. To me it felt like it hit a lot of the right notes for what I thought Star Wars should be about. The only thing I didn't care for was
the CGI Tarkin, I was surprised he was a key figure in so many scenes. I figured it would just be his reflection in the glass. For me it's not a large negative, but it sure seems like the tech isn't there yet. He felt only a little bit less stiff and glassy-eyed than Clu.

I thought it was utterly fantastic. It just has balls. It's a picture not beholden to toys and franchises. It goes to some dark places. I would not bring a child to this, because it isn't Ep. 7

Don't count on that.. I was doing Xmas shopping at Toys R Us today and there were Walking Dead play sets, action figures, vehicles. "Wood berry Assault Vehicle" and "The Governors Room" sets ;)

At my showing there was a kid sitting next to me that I would be shocked if he was older than 5/6.

Yea star killer base was easily the worst part of TFA. Not actually what happens there but just the pointless death star imitation and reckless killing without build up.

The thing that bothered me about Star Killer (and I'm sure this is just me because I think about dumb things like this), but when did they build this thing? We can see that really at or near the height of it's power, the Empire took at least as long as it took Jyn to grow up to build the first death star. Then after they have been defeated the remnants build something far, far more powerful? I mean that's quite an advancement for 30 years or so, going from killing a single planet with a station that must be in the local system, to destroying 5+ planets in a single volley from half a galaxy away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom