• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's another thing I liked. It doesn't seem like anyone making this movie gives a shit whether these characters would make good toys or video games.
I have to disagree. They added all kinds of stuff which screams toy selling, U-Wing, the black storm troopers, the beach storm troopers, K2, etc etc

action and visual spectacle were amazing...but movie itself was not good.

the story and characters are just inconsequential, making this movie unnecessary.

character interactions just didn't have much depth, outside a couple scenes.

the one dude calling her "little sister" was cringeworthy. When did that relationship ever develop in the story?

I thought it was utterly fantastic. It just has balls. It's a picture not beholden to toys and franchises. It goes to some dark places. I would not bring a child to this, because it isn't Ep. 7

Yep. The violence is basically the same as you'd see in any Star Wars movie or show, but the story is much, much heavier.

Bishop89

action and visual spectacle were amazing...but movie itself was not good.

the story and characters are just inconsequential, making this movie unnecessary.

character interactions just didn't have much depth, outside a couple scenes.

the one dude calling her "little sister" was cringeworthy. When did that relationship ever develop in the story?

joke?

This is like the most important story.

Just got back from it. Goddamn. What a badass movie. I loved it. People weren't kidding when they said this was the most "war" of the Star Wars film.

I'll let it simmer a while longer but I'm feeling it might be my favorite of the post OT trilogy movies.

PHOTOSHOP

4966869-rey+owns+kylo.gif

Couldnt Vader just snatch that Death Star blueprint transmission card thing with his jedi powers?

Shaanyboi

Banned
how? its practically filler. We already know what happens. There's no stakes, we know the outcome of the story at large.

There were no revelations or story beats that would affect the Star Wars overarching story.

Showing just how much of a fucking mess and morally compromised group the Rebellion is early on is a story worth telling. Justifying one of the most made-fun-of exploits in popular culture
as an intentional bit of sabotage by a man of conscience within the Empire
is a story worth telling. Showing just how much was lost along the way by the boots on the ground is a perspective worth exploring.

Ashhong

Can you guys put a little context to your spoilers? I'm so tempted to click but not if it's major. Pretty please

This movie reaffirmed how damn important it is to have your own main theme. I hate how Fantastic Beasts just aped the Harry Potter theme song for all of its big moments. This movie's central song is really beautiful, and it put a smile on my face when
the title showed up and it sounded like it'd do the regular Star Wars theme, but then went into its own thing.
Just fantastic.

Wow I like that he plays with the original theme but doesn't quite go there. Interesting

OmegaFax

4966869-rey+owns+kylo.gif

Couldnt Vader just snatch that Death Star blueprint transmission card thing with his jedi powers?

That's the other thing. In Episode 7, it's established that the Empire had a vast archive, including a star map ... coupled with the fact Kylo Ren could interrogate someone with the Force. I'm going to guess this Force power wasn't something Vader was aware of.

Anyway. I don't know how Yavin wasn't given up as the location of the Rebel's hidden base much sooner.

golem

That's the other thing. In Episode 7, it's established that the Empire had a vast archive, including a star map ... coupled with the fact Kylo Ren could interrogate someone with the Force. I'm going to guess this Force power wasn't something Vader was aware of.

Anyway. I don't know how Yavin wasn't given up as the location of the Rebel's hidden base much sooner.

Haha seriously! They captured
a capital ship full of rebels that came straight from Yavin and he couldnt figure it out?!
Pablo you have failed us!

Quick question, a friend of ours who has seen the movie says it's ok to take our 8yr and 6yr olds...
Confirmed? (They saw TFA and had no problem, they are huge SW fans already)!.

I'm kind of torn on it and still debating whether to take my daughter to see it. I think violence wise, TFA was a bit graphic than Rogue One. Story line and plot, I think for a younger child, TFA is much easier to follow. Rogue One is a bit darker in tone than TFA too. While Rogue One is good, it's less of a fun movie compared to TFA if that makes any sense. So I'm going back and forth. I think for a younger child, TFA is a better choice over Rogue One for sure but I'm still undecided about taking my daughter. If it helps, before I saw it, I just assumed I was going to take her. After seeing it, I'm not longer sure.

EBE

It was better than Force Awakens. Decent action set pieces but the characters werent anything special. Amused me to no end how the rebels were dressed like American GIs at the end there like it was the battle for Guadalcanal or something.

crustikid

Yea. It's one thing I was going to say. Not really something you should bring a child to see. It's a downer of a film and it's definitely more mature as far as Star Wars movies go.

I really wonder how the CinemaScore for this film is an A. With it being such a bummer I wonder why the average isn't slightly lower. Disney must've tweaked it a lot to elicit this sort of response from audiences.

Afrocious

I personally don't see how this movie is better than TFA. TFA was decent. This movie just bored me, made me laugh at CGI Tarkin, and got good at the end somewhat.

This is the first Star Wars movie that felt grounded and "real." By real I meant the characters felt convincing and it also highlighted that the rebels are not as innocent as what they seem like in all the other movies. It also didn't feel out of date like the last episode.

So, so, so many trailers at my showing. I think there were really about 30 minutes worth of trailers. The ones I remember were Logan, Pirates, Baby Boss, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Dunkirk, Spiderman, the Mummy, Furious 8, Transformers and others that I'm forgetting. They just kept coming lol. They did like 8-10 regular trailers and 3-4 3d trailers.

The Star Wars film Ive secretly been waiting for. They really could have botched this story but it's honestly great. No forced romantic love... showed the desperation and lack of unity between factions of the rebels. The force wasn't exploited... it was painted as myth.. adding to the lore.

Visuals and planets are top notch. It sucks that people can't suspend there disbelief over a few instances but I understand why. Makes me think no Star Wars film from here out will satisfy the hardcore fans.

Good themes and for the most part proper character motivations!

golem

I really wonder how the CinemaScore for this film is an A. With it being such a bummer I wonder why the average isn't slightly lower. Disney must've tweaked it a lot to elicit this sort of response from audiences.

Many middle of the road blockbusters get A's, audiences are pretty forgiving of what they see in theaters (and R1 is better than those imo).

Also its a movie totally made for existing fans who are usually those that have to see it opening weekend.

Miyahon

Anybody go to an IMAX screening with Dunkirk? Wondering if I will get trailers in addition to the preview. I love trailers

Saw it on a real IMAX screen and not the smaller digital ones.

Mine showed two previews before it showed the Dunkirk footage which were Logan and The Fate of the Furious. After that it displayed the sign to put on your 3D glasses and it showed Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales in 3D.

Logan, The Fate of the Furious, Dunkirk Preview, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Pirates

It's because Cinemascore is a shit metric and shouldn't really be used as much of a barometer for anything really

Indelible

I thought it was a great movie that got progressively better as it went along with one of the best endings I can remember for a film. I would put it about on par with Force Awakens quality wise but Rogue One might be more rewatchable.

how? its practically filler. We already know what happens. There's no stakes, we know the outcome of the story at large.

There were no revelations or story beats that would affect the Star Wars overarching story.
Knowing the broad strokes doesn't mean there are no stakes. If knowing what happened means there are no stakes, then every historical drama and based on true events movie is doomed

ViciousDS

Banned
I saw it tonight and I found it boring. It felt really long and I was just sort of waiting for it to get to the damn raid already. Plus I think if you're not a big Star Wars fan you will be trying to keep up for the first half of the movie. It totally rides on the assumption that viewers are all big fans.

Anyway, I liked TFA more but I didn't totally love that movie either.

Omg thank you

We just got out, it was ok at most and just overhyped to shit. Almost fell asleep until Donnie yen was introduced lol.

It's not even close in my ratings to any of the original 3. TFA also was way more enjoyable

ViciousDS

Banned
Forgot to mention I really love the 5 billion cuts to millions of planets in the beginning. Yeah, that sure grabbed my attention /s

Movie was just off as a whole. Sucks too because the casting was superbly done

crustikid

It's because Cinemascore is a shit metric and shouldn't really be used as much of a barometer for anything really

I mean I wouldnt go that far. I know it's more of an industry metric. I don't take it very seriously, but you can usually guess how general audiences will end up responding to a film based on a cinemascore. Like BvS got a B and Suicide Squad a B+. If you're going for mass appeal I think you really need nothing short of an A+. It's a different sort of reliability compared with online user reviews where you get a mix of passionate 1s and 10s.

CD'S BAR

Drab and mostly boring, just as i expected from Gareth Edwards. I'm not crazy about TFA but it was definitely better than this.

A couple cool standout scenes though.

Also the little title fanfare was horribly out of place compositionally and sounds nothing like any Star Wars music, including the other music in this movie. Giacchino did a good Williams impression otherwise.

Lego Boss

Just got back from it. Goddamn. What a badass movie. I loved it. People weren't kidding when they said this was the most "war" of the Star Wars film.

I'll let it simmer a while longer but I'm feeling it might be my favorite of the post OT trilogy movies.

Yes, felt a bit like an Ian M. Banks book, like Use of Weapons, loads of fighting, insurgency and just the right mix of darkness.

A really strong film and an excellent addition to the lore.

Alcibiades

Went into this with no idea what the movie was going to be about (I thought it was going to have something to do with Boba Fett).

Either way, I loved it and feel like it is superior in every way to Force Awakens. It feels very well thought out and is both a new story and a tribute to the original trilogy. I have no interest in the next mainline Star Wars movie (thought Force Awakens was THAT bad), but wouldn't mind annual one-off movies like this.

Will be going back to the theaters for this.

Jumeira

Banned
First half is appalling, really let the film down. Ending is so damn strong though, real shame that they started off so badly, as the movie ended up being good overall, could have been great if the beginning was competent. I nodded off twice during the beginning.

Lyng

This is the first Star Wars movie that felt grounded and "real." By real I meant the characters felt convincing and it also highlighted that the rebels are not as innocent as what they seem like in all the other movies. It also didn't feel out of date like the last episode.

Yep. Fantastic movie. For me only Empire Strikes back is better.

AfroLuffy

I'm frankly astounded that a film that amounts to little more than blatant fan service aimed squarely at OT fanboys (of which I am one, btw) has lead to such an overwhelmingly positive response.

There are a host of minor things that bothered me about this film (and lots of little things to praise just the same), but I'll stick with the most damning. Since when did the characters not matter in Star Wars? It's about more than just blaster rifles, star destroyers, and space aliens, right? Hell, I love all of those things; after all, the SW Universe is a cool place, but who the hell wants to explore it with characters as poorly developed as these? They had no depth whatsoever, much less any sort of arc.

To be fair, characters in a war movie don't necessarily even need a traditional arc, but if that's the case, the audience should at least expect to get to know them, figure what makes them tick, what their motivations are beyond "I fight the empire because they're obviously bad guys", and so forth -- or else the drama falls flat and the audience has no reason to care about any of these people, as was sadly the case here. And, no, giving a character a few funny throw away lines, slick fighting abilities, or cool weapons and armor isn't compensation.

For all of its problems (and it has plenty), TFA has good characters and dramatic weight. Rey and Kylo, for instance, both have aspirations, faults, face conflict external as well as internal, and struggle with their past/family (one to free themselves of it, the other to reconnect with it). Now, in RO, Jen is the only character to really receive any real attention. But aside from her backstory, she's practically a blank state, immediately thrust into the action and manipulated by the plot. Her "tragic" backstory is really just a convenient thread to pull at from time to time in order to move the story closer to its conclusion.

Ultimately, this film just felt completely inconsequential and forgettable -- I mean it is quite literally just an imaginative retelling of the first two paragraphs of the A NEW HOPE opening scrawl after all. It could have just as well have been a throw away five issue comic series, a long cut scene from a SW video game, or a mediocre EU novel no one ever bothered to read. The fact it turned out this way just confirms all of my cynical doubts as to why this film was green-lit in the first place
$$$
. Don't get me wrong, commercialization has been with the SW franchise from the very start, but the commodification was always limited to merchandise, insignificant non canon spin offs, or *doesn't really count* EU fiction. With Rogue One and soon young Han Solo (ugh), the films themselves have become the commodities. Say what you will about Lucas and his faults as a filmmaker, but his goal was always to tell a story first. He really did sell the franchise to slavers. Meh, 6.5/10

Liked it a lot. I thought the opening between Galen and Krennick was really strong and set the tone nicely. Donnie Yen's introduction was really good as well, finally a Hollywood movie that doesn't waste an Asian action star, take note TFA. Speaking of which, nice to see such a diverse team be the heroes. That was long overdue as well. They even have the best droid.

Add some gorgeous cinematography and the best action scenes in a SW movie yet, leading up to a killer ending, and you have a worthwhile addition to the series.

Heading off to Alamo w/ my wife and kids. Their first time seeing it, my second. Can't wait. I loved it the first time around, so, will be paying attention for background stuff today.

I thought it was utterly fantastic. It just has balls. It's a picture not beholden to toys and franchises. It goes to some dark places. I would not bring a child to this, because it isn't Ep. 7

They showed a bunch of new stuff they can do toys for:
K2
Bow staff blaster
Gattling Blaster
U-Wing
The imperial tank in Jadeh
Black storm troopers

Arkeband

Banned
The first half of this movie is so slow and boring.

The last 30 minutes are a completely different movie.

The use of CGI was at times good and at others really bad. The prime example kept doing that video game character "entire body movies while they're talking" that real people don't ever do and it was distracting.

Anyway the latter half was fun to watch at least. Meeeeh.

I thought it was just ok. It had a few nice moments, and the concepts were largely good, but the execution was lacking and none of the characters were that compelling.

spekkeh

Banned
Quick question, a friend of ours who has seen the movie says it's ok to take our 8yr and 6yr olds...
Confirmed? (They saw TFA and had no problem, they are huge SW fans already)!.
For me, no definitely not. Can't explain it without spoiling, but it warrants its 12+ rating imo, it's the least child friendly Star Wars.

I actually did not like the opening. I have seen at least 10 other movies that have done that exact scene and have done it better. Parent gets killed ans/or captured while child watches on from hidden location. Its a trope that has been over used.

But fortunately movie only got better from there. The Cassian character was amazing. Truely unexpected for a SW film to have such an ethicaly grey character. Han Solo is a knight in shining armor compared with this guh. That first scene he is in where Cassian kills the informer to keep his cover... I said wow.

Post time skip Forest Whitiker character amazing! But pre time skip I was a little worried he was hamming up his lines.

Regarding the Vader stuff. I would have CUT out all the vader scenes except the last one. The other scenes were on the cheesy side. And they did not add to the movie. We dont need exposition on who Vader is. But that final scene where he shows up and wrecks shit was powerfull. And it is good enough to stand by itself. And it would have been MORE powerfullI felt if that was his first and only appearance.

For some reason I thought this was the spoiler thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom