• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

This is definitely a movie to ignore film critics on (NY Times review totally missed the boat). Ok, you have some bad character writing, Jyn's character motivations could have been more coherent and the first 30-45 minutes were a little slow other than that, everything else was solid. CG that doesn't distract? There. Space battles? Great. Comic relief that isn't cringe worthy and genuinely funny? Check. Good use of lore? Yup.

I know a lot of better, great movies have come out this year, but I don't think this film deserves its 60-70/100 scores it seems to be getting. Especially comparatively to the prequels and TFA.

KorrZ

This is definitely a movie to ignore film critics on (NY Times review totally missed the boat). Ok, you have some bad character writing, Jyn's character motivations could have been more coherent and the first 30-45 minutes were a little slow other than that, everything else was solid. CG that doesn't distract? There. Space battles? Great. Comic relief that isn't cringe worthy and genuinely funny? Check. Good use of lore? Yup.

I know a lot of better, great movies have come out this year, but I don't think this film deserves its 60-70/100 scores it seems to be getting. Especially comparatively to the prequels and TFA.

I actually think it's spot on. 7/10 is exactly what I'd give it. I enjoyed it, the battles were incredible and well shot, some good comedy. Overall though, the lack of any character development makes all of the drama fall flat. It was a good action movie but not much more.

TFA was much better.

Lego Boss

Just seen this, thought it was superb, but then again l don't get out much but what do l know?

Have to say K-2SO was brilliant and you get a real feeling for the sacrifices the rebellion made in the lead up to ANH.

The ending would have been amazing too, but it was spoiled by someone in this thread, oh well . . .

Thought it was better than TFA, but was less hyped and l think all the better for it as hype spoils so much.

Speevy

Banned
I think what this film does best is that it makes you believe certain elements were missing from Star Wars TFA, and you wonder if they'll just be relegated to side films.

It makes TFA seem worse because you wouldn't expect a side film to do anything better than the main films, but it does. It absolutely does.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Easily my favorite Star Wars movie as an adult.

DOES put FA in perspective, despite the accusations of revisionism. Force Awakens was so much better than the new trilogy, that I think we all just clapped in spite of its numerous failings. My complaints about this one are literally just a nagging dislike of the lead's overall performance and delivery and Vader's helmet/neck area.

Moff and Leia were great/fine

Star Wars is back.

I'm no huge fan of TFA, but it definitely boggles my mind to see people praising Rogue One over it.

The characters in Rogue One are so uncharismatic and underdeveloped that it makes Rey and company look like Edmond Dantes.

They feel so pithy and the relationships between them so forced and non-existent that when shit hits the fan it's hard to care an iota. Don't get me wrong, the third act has some nice-looking action. It's just hard to be invested in it when these guys are our way in.

And good god was this a modern Star Wars film in all the wrong ways. The editing was choppy as all shit. Those nice action sequences would've benefited from some breathing room, instead of being hamstrung by being hacked up into snippets and cutaways that undermined them at every turn.

Elandyll

Banned
Quick question, a friend of ours who has seen the movie says it's ok to take our 8yr and 6yr olds...
Confirmed? (They saw TFA and had no problem, they are huge SW fans already)!.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Quick question, a friend of ours who has seen the movie says it's ok to take our 8yr and 6yr olds...

It might be pretty depressing for a 6 year old lol

There's nothing gratuitous, but it's kinda the mood of Empire taken to some further extremes.

Violence/language wise, you're good. It's still Star Wars. Themes are a little bit darker, but there's some light hearted moments here and there. I'd say it's okay to take them.

Prompto

Banned
What trailers were attached before hand for you guys?
Logan
Spider-Man
Dunkirk
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
The Mummy
Fate of the Furious
Boss Baby
Pirates of the Caribbean
Transformers

Took forever though it was nice seeing some of those in a theater.

Kaban

God, the more I think about this film the more I really disliked it. Every character was a wet blanket.

For the record, I like TFA. Sure it's a retread of ANH, but Jesus, at least I cared about those characters.

The critics were too kind.

Speevy

Banned
If TFA had Rogue One's tone as well as its world-building elements and action set pieces, it would be the perfect film.

But it doesn't. At all.

Can I also just say that having location titles feels really out of place in a Star Wars movie. Show us what the planet is by communicating it visually or by organically introducing it to us through the characters' journey into that location. It really robs the audience of any kind of notion of discovery about what could be a more enigmatic way to introduce a new alien world.

Every time they would introduce a new planet it felt like I was watching a Paul Greengrass Star Wars film.

Boke1879

Just saw it again. Theater was sold out. The beginning was slow, but after that everything is solid. Theater loved it. The last act was great and the last 10 minutes are amazing.

WOM I feel is going to be pretty damn good for this movie. Of course it won't make 2 billion simply because it doesn't have the same factors that surrounded TFA, but it's going to do well.

If I'm doing a marathon of Star Wars movies ESPECIALLY a marathon of the OT Rogue One gets played before ANH every single time.

Speevy

Banned
Can I also just say that having location titles feels really out of place in a Star Wars movie. Show us what the planet is by communicating it visually or by organically introducing it to us through the characters' journey into that location. It really robs the audience of any kind of notion of discovery about what could be a more enigmatic way to introduce a new alien world.

Every time they would introduce a new planet it felt like I was watching a Paul Greengrass Star Wars film.

Discovery is saved for those movies in which characters are on a quest or adventure.

The characters in Rogue One are pretty much just in a war. They don't have time to discover things about the world.

For that, see every other Star Wars movie.

Discovery is saved for those movies in which characters are on a quest or adventure.

The characters in Rogue One are pretty much just in a war. They don't have time to discover things about the world.

For that, see every other Star Wars movie.
Don't act like Rogue One is Saving Private Ryan. The film still operates like any other Star Wars film, except that the motivations for moving to each new location feels like a perfunctory means of padding out the journey. Never once felt organic.

Ashhong

Saw it at a proper IMAX and they only showed the Dunkirk footage, no other previews.

Damn...I love me some trailers, especially in IMAX

^ Can you take your discussion to the spoiler thread? Seems like you are getting closer and closer to spoiling bits of the movie.

spwolf

easily the best SW movie. I liked TFA but last fight was overdone and everything is spelled out for you and one dimensional.

This is like a real movie. We need more of these.

Speevy

Banned
I think the best thing this film has created is a real debate where both sides are defensible for different reasons.

It's a much better debate than the prequel days when we were just hoping each one wasn't as bad as the previous one.

I'm 40
I thought it was one of the great movie experiences of my life. 10/10. I have always been a huge SW fan. This and TFA are godsends for the overall future of the franchise.

The last 10 minutes are the best in the entire movie series. Well next to seeing Luke in that final shot last year, but that was 30 years of pent up anticipation and wonder. This is the greatest time ever to be a fan. We don't have to wait decades for a new movie.

I honestly wish I could personally thank Lucas for selling the franchise, he could have been stubborn and held in till he passed.

I'm just so god damn happy.

cacildo

What trailers were attached before hand for you guys?

Guadians of the galaxy 2

TRIPLE X
Assassins Creed
Another one that looked just like Assassins creed and my wife said "my god every movie is the same"

And
The Russian Guardians (seems it will hit theaters in brasil soon)

Vinc

Easily my favorite Star Wars movie as an adult.

DOES put FA in perspective, despite the accusations of revisionism. Force Awakens was so much better than the new trilogy, that I think we all just clapped in spite of its numerous failings. My complaints about this one are literally just a nagging dislike of the lead's overall performance and delivery and Vader's helmet/neck area.

Moff and Leia were great/fine

Star Wars is back.

I also have reservations about her performance, but she was great in individual scenes and I wonder if the reshoots may have reshaped her character a bit.

NomarTyme

Went to the Theaters with my Brother in law on a noon screening. I was surprised how empty the theater was...anyways its way better than TFA.

Goodstyle

This movie reaffirmed how damn important it is to have your own main theme. I hate how Fantastic Beasts just aped the Harry Potter theme song for all of its big moments. This movie's central song is really beautiful, and it put a smile on my face when
the title showed up and it sounded like it'd do the regular Star Wars theme, but then went into its own thing.
Just fantastic.

JB1981

The unanimous consensus among my friends and my family, who are all major filmgoers and huge SW fans, is that this is the best SW movie since the original trilogy. Rarely do we all ever agree

Moofers

I saw it tonight and I found it boring. It felt really long and I was just sort of waiting for it to get to the damn raid already. Plus I think if you're not a big Star Wars fan you will be trying to keep up for the first half of the movie. It totally rides on the assumption that viewers are all big fans.

Anyway, I liked TFA more but I didn't totally love that movie either.

BruceCLea

Banned
I thought it was utterly fantastic. It just has balls. It's a picture not beholden to toys and franchises. It goes to some dark places. I would not bring a child to this, because it isn't Ep. 7

Boke1879

I thought it was utterly fantastic. It just has balls. It's a picture not beholden to toys and franchises. It goes to some dark places. I would not bring a child to this, because it isn't Ep. 7

Yea. It's one thing I was going to say. Not really something you should bring a child to see. It's a downer of a film and it's definitely more mature as far as Star Wars movies go.

Speevy

Banned
That's another thing I liked. It doesn't seem like anyone making this movie gives a shit whether these characters would make good toys or video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom