• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Welp looks like I'm out of this thread.

LOL pretty sure that top post was just a callback to the early Rey concept art for TFA

you know, this one
esX1bhCl.jpg

I'm curious about reactions after 2nd and 3rd viewings. I enjoyed TFA when I saw it in the theatre, but I like it a lot more now after several viewings.
Yes, Starkiller Base is a weak part of the film - it just gets less annoying as time goes on.

Uh NO clearly The Battle for Endor claims that title.

It's got my man Wilford Brimley, and it kills off most of the main cast from the previous movie in the first five minutes!

Wilford Brimley was in an Ewoks movie. I dont know how I could have gone this many years without being aware of this. Is that a rabbit hole I should go down?

I don't even remember you.

baitzFX.gif

I support your decision to limit your gaf contributions to ball busting every six months.

sphagnum

Banned
NO.
Yes

I would totally be cool with Luke doing this, because I really want him to be the ultimate badass of the SW universe.

Old Luke wouldn't be so flashy. If there's ever a good place for someone to canonically bring down a Star Destroyer with the Force, it would be Luke in 8 or 9 to show how far he's come.

As long as we never get anything as ridiculous as him holding open a black hole with the Force.

One of those pieces of concept art that will always look better than something actually in motion.

I mean, it could work, it just can't be a conventionally-shot sequence.

Get John Williams to compose a nice operatic piece, shoot at 0.75 speed, focus on contrasts much like the art itself does. Could be cool.

Old Luke wouldn't be so flashy. If there's ever a good place for someone to canonically bring down a Star Destroyer with the Force, it would be Luke in 8 or 9 to show how far he's come.

As long as we never get anything as ridiculous as him holding open a black hole with the Force.

I'd be down for Luke to be what Yoda should have been in the prequels: so powerful in the force he doesn't even need to use a lightsaber anymore. But him cutting through the knights of ren like butter would be money, too.

Basically, I'm easy to please when it comes to Luke.

TheXbox

What's happening in that artwork? Is Rey flying through Star Destroyers? Is she cutting it with a lightsaber? The Force?

Looks like some Metal Gear Revengeance shit

My head just can't wrap around the idea of a 3 foot lightsaber leaving these fucking valleys in a star destroyer. It's so impossible that I want to see it on the screen.

My head just can't wrap around the idea of a 3 foot lightsaber leaving these fucking valleys in a star destroyer. It's so impossible that I want to see it on the screen.

Rey focuses her prodigy-like force abilities into the saber's kyber crystal, supercharging the blade into something that can cut, like, 5 hulls deep.

There's your plot justification.

Syriel

This is the prequel that everyone was hoping for when Episode 1 was first announced.

Can't offer much more until after the embargo lift tomorrow.

I'd be down for Luke to be what Yoda should have been in the prequels: so powerful in the force he doesn't even need to use a lightsaber anymore. But him cutting through the knights of ren like butter would be money, too.

Basically, I'm easy to please when it comes to Luke.

My hope is that after the Knights of ren killed the Jedi apprentices that luke wanted to murder them and felt the dark side. I hope he's been training this whole time to find the middle and own it. That sometimes you need to end bullshit and that doesn't mean you're going to become the next Darth vader.

sphagnum

Banned
This is the prequel that everyone was hoping for when Episode 1 was first announced.

You don't have to go into detail, but if you take a look in the spoiler thread, does it seem like the reddit guy we're quoting saw the same movie that you did?

blamite

Has anyone said if they ended up doing the opening crawl? If so, a simple yes/no in spoiler tags will please me greatly.

When the prequels were still just starting, I thought Episode 3 would basically be this movie (at least, what I know of it from trailers).

So, maybe I finally get to see the episode 3 I expected all those years ago.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Going to have to avoid the internet for 2 days for fear of spoilers, Twitch especially

Went and dug up some impressions on the score, as we haven't had a ton of people commenting on it besides "it's good" and "sounds like Star Wars".

From the Film Score Monthly forum:
CédricD said:
Just saw the film-which is the best SW movie since TESB. The score sounds fantastic, uses some thematic ideas from EP 4&5 but not so much and it's typical Giacchino in military/Star Trek mode with Star Wars brass. The only problem is that it lacks Williams' melodic and emotional power, especially when it goes Into héroïc territory-Jyn's theme is Rey's theme in much less lyrical and her
"Call to arms" speech
is nearly killed by its somewhat triumphant music, which does not fit in such a dark and martial score/film, not to mention Felicity Jones's awkward acting.
But in the end : very good and powerful score/orchestrations.

CédricD said:
As far as I can remember (I paid more attention to the film than to the music, even if it's LOUD),
Luke's/SW's theme
launches the end credits, the
Force theme
is quoted in one scene, but you definitely can hear the
Rebel fanfare and quotes/variations with the Imperial March AND the Imperial music from EP IV.
The score is almost wall-to-wall, so I guess the album will miss about 30-40mn of music.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would walk out too, because nothing after that could hope to match up to that scene after that, and then buy a ticket to the next immediate screening so I can see the scene again. Lololololol.

When the Blu-Ray comes out you can make a fan supercut that's just 2 hours of that scene on loop, it will be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom