• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rory McIlroy the new face of EA's PGA Tour series

EA-SPORTS-RORY-McILROY-PGA-TOUR-2_2.jpg

Tiger Woods has outlived his usefulness to EA.

Full press release.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced Rory McIlroy as the cover athlete and namesake of its golf franchise, officially making him the face of EA SPORTS™ Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR®, releasing in June 2015. McIlroy, a 4-time Major champion and top-ranked golfer in the world, represents a new generation of players for a new generation of consoles.

“I’m very proud and humbled to see my face and name on EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR,” said McIlroy. “This is a great honor, and something I couldn’t even dream of growing up playing the sport. I really hope people enjoy the game and I’m very glad I can be a part of it.”

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is the first EA SPORTS title to be built using the Frostbite™ engine. This new toolset allows the development team to create beautiful new environments, featuring the most detailed courses in franchise history. Frostbite also renders the entire course at once, eliminating load times between holes and allowing users to play their shot from almost any location. It’s truly Golf Without Limits.

“Frostbite has allowed us to take this franchise to a whole new level,” stated Brent Nielsen, Executive Producer of EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR. “The new engine drastically improves all facets of the game, from core gameplay to opportunities for brand-new modes and features. We’re looking forward to sharing a lot of great news with our fans throughout the rest of the spring.”

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR truly delivers Golf Without Limits, opening up the experience like never before. Gorgeous real-world courses and epic fantasy tracks provide players with not only the most realistic representations of their favorite locales, but the opportunity to explore brand-new locations. Full course loading offers limitless options when attacking the green and zero wait times when moving from one hole to the next. Experience the next generation of golf and play where you want, when you want, how you want.

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon and will be available for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system in June 2015.

EA SPORTS is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, fan programs and cross-platform digital experiences. EA SPORTS creates connected experiences that ignite the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports videogames, including Madden NFL football, EA SPORTS™ FIFA, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, PGA TOUR® golf, SSX™ and EA SPORTS UFC®.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That was easily the most ridiculous video at E3 last year. The golfer hitting the ball over a battleship crashing through the fairway...ugh.

EA SPORTS is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, fan programs and cross-platform digital experiences. EA SPORTS creates connected experiences that ignite the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports videogames, including Madden NFL football, EA SPORTS™ FIFA, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, PGA TOUR® golf, SSX™ and EA SPORTS UFC®.
Most interesting thing is they list this in the Press Release. Hopefully that means they're producing a sequel and its not just a random inclusion

Petrae

Hidden minigames are rumored to include Rory's 7-Iron Toss and On-The-Course Dentistry with Sir Nick Faldo.

gthobbes

Banned
Who cares about EA golf, when the stellar Golf Club is already out, costs half as much, and isn't a DLC cash grab like EA's game?

I mean an SSX game came out not too long ago... So dunno if it's something to read into.

3 years ago. That's pretty long ago.

I don't think it means they have anything but at least that they have plans for it in the future and they didn't see the last release as the end of the series

3 years ago. That's pretty long ago.

I don't think it means they have anything but at least that they have plans for it in the future and they didn't see the last release as the end of the series

They've been mentioning SSX in their sports press releases ever since it returned. I guess the good news is that they continue to acknowledge it so long after its release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We knew Tiger Woods was gone months ago. That said, their initial press release made it sound like there wouldn't be one exclusive golfer in the title. Wonder what changed their minds?

I'm craving a new golf game, but I'm not sure PGA is the answer. Hot Shots or a new Links would make me quite happy.

Actually, I concur with this. I've had a blast with Hot Shots on the Vita. I would love a new one. Links 2004 was by far my favorite golf game ever. So I would be all over a new one of those, too.

Schryver

Might be down for this. Been a long time since I player Tiger Woods PGA Tour. I should get back to 100%ing Mario Golf now that I think about it.

sam777

EA's golf games are really well made and I enjoy playing them, looking forward to this. Hope we get a current gen SSX soon as well.

Actually, I concur with this. I've had a blast with Hot Shots on the Vita. I would love a new one. Links 2004 was by far my favorite golf game ever. So I would be all over a new one of those, too.

On console, mine too. The Golf Club's gameplay really reminds me of it a lot, its REALLY good for a pure golf sim. Not as flashy as Tiger or Hot Shots, but a really solid golf game for sure.

RibMan

We knew Tiger Woods was gone months ago. That said, their initial press release made it sound like there wouldn't be one exclusive golfer in the title. Wonder what changed their minds?

The realization that the overwhelming majority of people who play golf video games aren't die-hard golf fans, ergo, an identifiable face and name to market the game is necessary.

With that said, Tiger Woods is the most popular golfer on the planet. It's going to take a lot of work to make Rory McIlroy move product.

Chabbles

Who cares about EA golf, when the stellar Golf Club is already out, costs half as much, and isn't a DLC cash grab like EA's game?

Back in the PS2 days they would give all courses on the disk, there was a shit ton of them. Now you get half of them with the game, and the other half a fiver a pop or 20 hours worth of gameplay to unlock one. The amount of microtransactions in this series last gen was massive, you could buy everything.

Played Tiger Woods 04 and 05 more than any of them. This might be the first I buy on release in years!

Really enjoyed The Golf Club... Wish there would have been online matchmaking :(

gthobbes

Banned
Back in the PS2 days they would give all courses on the disk, there was a shit ton of them. Now you get half of them with the game, and the other half a fiver a pop or 20 hours worth of gameplay to unlock one. The amount of microtransactions in this series last gen was massive, you could buy everything.

Exactly. I've got to believe a number of folks who used to buy Tiger are never going to give their $ to EA again for a golf game, now that The Golf Club is out there and it's not nickel and diming people to death.

Top Bottom