• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rory McIlroy the new face of EA's PGA Tour series

Camjo-Z

What's more boring than golf? A golf game.

20140226234720!Mario_Golf_World_Tour_boxart.png

check this shit out and get back to me, son

norm9

Don't like Rory on the cover. That's enough for me to not buy it.

As much as I'd like a current gen version, I'll stick with my ps3 copy of Tiger Woods 14 Historic Something or Other Masters Augusta Edition.

What's more boring than golf? A golf game.
So you clicked on a golf game thread just to post this.... why troll?

Anyway, the game looks good from what I've seen but the lack of Augusta is just too disappointing. EA is claiming that is a licensing issue but I don't buy it. My guess is that they couldn't get the game ready prior to the Masters and will offer it early next year as DLC. I think I'll pass.

Yeah, that's very disappointing.

Then I remember EA Access exists and this will probably be on it by the end of the year which I'm quite happy about. Really wanting a golf game to play but I'm not really sold on Golf Club...
I have The Golf Club and it is nice looking and fun but it lacks on important things like career mode, real PGA tournaments and real golf courses. I was really hoping the new EA golf game would be good but oh well.

Kama_1082

Banned
So you clicked on a golf game thread just to post this.... why troll?

Anyway, the game looks good from what I've seen but the lack of Augusta is just too disappointing. EA is claiming that is a licensing issue but I don't buy it. My guess is that they couldn't get the game ready prior to the Masters and will offer it early next year as DLC. I think I'll pass.

I wouldn't put it past Augusta to be a bunch of dickheads and demand taking it out of the game.

RowdyReverb

Would have rather had it just "PGA TOUR 2XXX" than have anyone else but Tiger on it.
Was just thinking this. I don't know why they couldn't just make the name generic but put a different popular golfer on the cover each year. Putting somebody's name on it sort of cheapens it in a way imo

Was REALLY looking forward to this game but looks like it will be (at least initially) sans Augusta. How can EA not include Augusta? I suspect Augusta will be DLC and if so, damn you EA.

I will likely wait for a "Masters" edition or discounted edition that includes Augusta and just play The Golf Club for the time being. Someone made a good mock-up of Augusta for The Golf Club so at least we can play it for free. More info here for anyone else that wants to play Augusta...

The problem is, The Golf Club is ugly, soulless, and lacks any real courses. And it is a stretch to even claim that its gameplay is any better than the past Tiger games.

Starting with TW 11, the game became really good if you played on the higher difficulties and ignored the boost pins and stuff. The Country Clubs were a perfect way to set up tourneys with your friends and use similar settings.

As for the Masters, well, the only three golf game to ever have it were Tiger Woods 12,13, and 14. No one actually cared all that much when raving about Links, PGA Championship Golf from Sierra and the earlier Tiger games. And no one is going to actually care now. It's pretty much a manufactured complaint.

And playing the user created Augusta is nothing like like in the Masters, as it was the atmosphere that made it something special in TW 12.

I don't think there will be DLC for the Masters, unless, maybe they go to a biannual release schedule, and do a $30 package for it net year in the spring. How are they going to market a Masters DLC package months after it has already been played?

What the later TW games did that actually made the game relevant and fun were the Play the Pros tourneys. You would get a window of time to play the same course with the same conditions as the current tournament going on in real life, with real life scores populating the presentation. On top of that, your scores were looted with everyone else playing with the same settings and conditions. It was pretty cool.

And while it has been fun to kick EA for the Battlefield Golf stuff, the mini games that have been in Tiger Games for years are always a lot of fun. They may be silly and nonsensical, but they are both a challenge and teach you about a lot more options you have to shape your shots and recover bad lies than some realize they have. But then, I always liked the mini games in Virtual tennis, too.

But the core game is still realism based, and if you play on TourPro, there is no post shot spin and other stuff. I've always struggled to score par and better. It's not easy.

If I was putting in a wishlist, it would be to allow me to just use a pro fro my career instead of having to create and build up a player. I'd also kind of like the club tuner to come back, along with the original TrueAim that was in TW 11.

I don't care how silly the mini games are, who is on the cover, and if any specific course is in the game. I do wonder if they could have left Rory off the cover if they could have added in The Masters. I really have no idea who much Augusta charges for that, or how much Rory gets paid.

If, after the EA Access trial, the game plays as solid as before, this is an easy buy for me. I've just had too much fun with past editions.

Was just thinking this. I don't know why they couldn't just make the name generic but put a different popular golfer on the cover each year. Putting somebody's name on it sort of cheapens it in a way imo
I agree but that doesn't bother me as long as there is a good choice of golfers available in the game and it is not too centrally based on whoever is on the cover.

Although, if the lack of Augusta and being able to play the Masters is because of $$$ than EA should have gone without a cover golfer and put the $$$ into licensing the Masters.
The problem is, The Golf Club is ugly, soulless, and lacks any real courses. And it is a stretch to even claim that its gameplay is any better than the past Tiger games.

Starting with TW 11, the game became really good if you played on the higher difficulties and ignored the boost pins and stuff. The Country Clubs were a perfect way to set up tourneys with your friends and use similar settings.

As for the Masters, well, the only three golf game to ever have it were Tiger Woods 12,13, and 14. No one actually cared all that much when raving about Links, PGA Championship Golf from Sierra and the earlier Tiger games. And no one is going to actually care now. It's pretty much a manufactured complaint.

And playing the user created Augusta is nothing like like in the Masters, as it was the atmosphere that made it something special in TW 12.

I don't think there will be DLC for the Masters, unless, maybe they go to a biannual release schedule, and do a $30 package for it net year in the spring. How are they going to market a Masters DLC package months after it has already been played?

What the later TW games did that actually made the game relevant and fun were the Play the Pros tourneys. You would get a window of time to play the same course with the same conditions as the current tournament going on in real life, with real life scores populating the presentation. On top of that, your scores were looted with everyone else playing with the same settings and conditions. It was pretty cool.

And while it has been fun to kick EA for the Battlefield Golf stuff, the mini games that have been in Tiger Games for years are always a lot of fun. They may be silly and nonsensical, but they are both a challenge and teach you about a lot more options you have to shape your shots and recover bad lies than some realize they have. But then, I always liked the mini games in Virtual tennis, too.

But the core game is still realism based, and if you play on TourPro, there is no post shot spin and other stuff. I've always struggled to score par and better. It's not easy.

If I was putting in a wishlist, it would be to allow me to just use a pro fro my career instead of having to create and build up a player. I'd also kind of like the club tuner to come back, along with the original TrueAim that was in TW 11.

I don't care how silly the mini games are, who is on the cover, and if any specific course is in the game. I do wonder if they could have left Rory off the cover if they could have added in The Masters. I really have no idea who much Augusta charges for that, or how much Rory gets paid.

If, after the EA Access trial, the game plays as solid as before, this is an easy buy for me. I've just had too much fun with past editions.
All valid points and I agree for the most part. However, playing the Masters (especially in career mode) is just so fun though. That is by far my favorite tournament and golf course. With the lack of Augusta, the game will have to be exceptional for me to buy it at full price.

OmegaDL50

I'll vastly prefer to play this, than play a bad fighting game.

It's good thing that MKX isn't a bad fighting game then.

Still nothing wrong with a PGA Tour Game.

I am interested to see what the game will be like on Frostbite 3.

I hope Aronimink Golf Club makes an appearance, of course this is unlikely. Although Westchester Country Club is the closest alternative.

Of course it's probable that TPC Blue Monster will be DLC again, which is another one of my favorite courses.

Bsigg12

Will it continue the trend of Frostbite 3 games having shit resolution on Xbox One and PS4 or are they going to get this to 1080p?

Nzyme32

So you are telling me that there is less of a chance that there will be a Tiger Woods golf game that can turn into a Mortal Kombat game of fighting off some of the women seeking retribution?!?
It's from South Park

EA you fucked up!

It's good thing that MKX isn't a bad fighting game then.

Still nothing wrong with a PGA Tour Game.

I am interested to see what the game will be like on Frostbite 3.

I hope Aronimink Golf Club makes an appearance, of course this is unlikely. Although Westchester Country Club is the closest alternative.

Of course it's probable that TPC Blue Monster will be DLC again, which is another one of my favorite courses.

Eh, different strokes for the fighting games, man.

I'm less interested in the game, even though the past games have been fine.
Golf games are really hard to keep picking up, because they very rarely have drastic changes. Also unsure how bad the DLC is gonna be in this one.

hmm ive been pretty excited for this gam efor a while, hopefully it turns out decent. i havent played a pga game since tiger woods 06 or 07. i heard 14 was pretty good, thats the one with the masters right? i might pick it up in anticipation for the new one, but i remember hearing that some of the recent tiger games had really shitty microtransactions and dlc shit and that the servers are off so like half the game is locked out. is that true?

OmegaDL50

Eh, different strokes for the fighting games, man.

I'm less interested in the game, even though the past games have been fine.
Golf games are really hard to keep picking up, because they very rarely have drastic changes. Also unsure how bad the DLC is gonna be in this one.

I'd say there is a difference between you disliking a game, and claiming it outright as bad, but that is besides the point.

I don't generally buy PGA Tour titles on a yearly basis. I try to skip them like once every 3 years. So that when I pick up a new game it feels like an overall improvement from the last game. Which is why my collection consists of Tiger Woods '08, and then '13...I know picking up PGA Tour 2015 may be too soon, but it's an entirely new engine, which may mean entirely new physics.

I mean EA skipped 2014, which I hope means EA Tiburon has been working on this game long enough, that skipping a year would result in a overall better quality product. So I'm curious if this will be the truly a generational leap in terms of mechanics compared to say the close similarities between 2012 and 2013.

I wonder if it's too soon. I have been waiting for a new golf game, and I didn't even bother with Golf Club due to apparently odd physics and lack of real life courses, but again I do like the Hotshots golf games so having unrealistic courses isn't an issue really.

hmm ive been pretty excited for this gam efor a while, hopefully it turns out decent. i havent played a pga game since tiger woods 06 or 07. i heard 14 was pretty good, thats the one with the masters right? i might pick it up in anticipation for the new one, but i remember hearing that some of the recent tiger games had really shitty microtransactions and dlc shit and that the servers are off so like half the game is locked out. is that true?

I was playing TW 13 this weekend. The servers are off in regards to the live tourneys and such. There are still Country Clubs and you can play friends online.

The micro transactions complaints are a little overblown. If you want all of the courses on day one, it is a bit steep. But if you are fine with what they ship, there is plenty of content to keep you busy. Other than courses, I've never seen a need to buy anything.

You will have to find a disc in a store. From all reports, the Tiger and EA split wasn't so nice. Every Tiger game has been removed from the online stores, and you can't buy more content.

I was playing TW 13 this weekend. The servers are off in regards to the live tourneys and such. There are still Country Clubs and you can play friends online.

The micro transactions complaints are a little overblown. If you want all of the courses on day one, it is a bit steep. But if you are fine with what they ship, there is plenty of content to keep you busy. Other than courses, I've never seen a need to buy anything.

You will have to find a disc in a store. From all reports, the Tiger and EA split wasn't so nice. Every Tiger game has been removed from the online stores, and you can't buy more content.
thats nice to hear, the local gamestore by my house has every version from like 2005 and onwards. as long as they have the 4 masters+tpv+zurich im down

Top Bottom