• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rory McIlroy the new face of EA's PGA Tour series

Fox318

Should be John Daly goddamnit.
1dalystuartfranklingettyimagesthumb300x4822910.jpg

Is the theme : All my Exes wear Rolexes

Griss

Honestly?

He's only been the biggest name in golf for the last 3/4 years......

Face of many many adverts, and tour events

I remember when my maths teacher used to follow around this young kid playing in Ireland on the weekends. He'd come back and be all like 'this little kid's going to turn pro and win majors, I'm gonna bet my house on it.' We thought he was full of shit, frankly. Guy followed McIlroy all over watching him play. Must have won a lot of money. I reckon anyone interested in Irish golf must have known quite early on how good he was. I started watching him when he was about 17/18.

Still weird seeing him take Tiger's place on an EA game, though. So weird.

EDIT: Despite all of that, it's still:
Everybody's Golf > Mario Golf > EA Golf

Why not just call it PGA Tour?

No need for a player to be added to the title.

Who, of the people who buy this game, didn't always refer to this as simply "Tiger" though? "Hey, are you getting the new Tiger this year?"
PGA Tour by itself sounds like a Genesis game, you need fancy names nowadays! :)

Griss

I'm assuming you mean you play mini-golf, because no golfer in the world doesn't know who McIlroy is.

You'd be surprised how many club members don't follow professional golf in the slightest. Used to work at a golf club, and we'd do pools and other betting competitions for the four majors, and around a third of our members wouldn't be able to name a single player. It's a social thing for a lot of people.

Gonna be weird saying "Lets play some Rory". Tiger just sounds better.

Being Irish, I have multiple friends called Rory. Somehow I can't see that phrase catching on...

Afrikan

He was considered for the naming rights, but alas, he didn't make me cut. Still he gets into the game on a sponsors exemption.

His own game that released on the PS3 using Move was pretty realistic.

Hopefully that company returns with a next gen version, when Move controllers start selling again because of Morpheus.

RowdyReverb

I'm ok with this.
Hopefully that extra year of time for the dev team makes a difference in the final product. Really want this game to look gorgeous.

inner-G

Banned
I'm assuming you mean you play mini-golf, because no golfer in the world doesn't know who McIlroy is.
I play golf fairly often, but I don't follow any TV sports. (I usually shoot about a 90)

Rory just isn't a household name like Tiger yet I guess.

Chabbles

Exactly. I've got to believe a number of folks who used to buy Tiger are never going to give their $ to EA again for a golf game, now that The Golf Club is out there and it's not nickel and diming people to death.

Unfortunately im not one of those folks. Im weak and will buy this, and then complain about the bs microtransactions later. If they lock half the courses behind a paywall again, ill be waiting for it to hit half price first.

I mean, Tiger and EA mutally split up two years ago so it's not shocking to see them put a different dude on the cover.

But they fucked up actually naming after a different dude.

Rory McIlroy has nowhere near the name recognition that Tiger has had at any point in his career. To the vast majority of casual sports fans out there, the PGA Tour is still Tiger Woods and maybe Phil Mickelson and a bunch of other dudes. Now that Tiger's out of commission and Phil's fading into irrelevancy, it's a bunch of other dudes.

Then you have to figure in the significant legion of Tiger fans that won't pick this up just out of sheer spite.

Just call EA Sports PGA Tour and leave it there. That stands on its own.

I mean, Tiger and EA mutally split up two years ago so it's not shocking to see them put a different dude on the cover.

But they fucked up actually naming after a different dude.

Rory McIlroy has nowhere near the name recognition that Tiger has had at any point in his career. To the vast majority of casual sports fans out there, the PGA Tour is still Tiger Woods and maybe Phil Mickelson and a bunch of other dudes. Now that Tiger's out of commission and Phil's fading into irrelevancy, it's a bunch of other dudes.

Then you have to figure in the significant legion of Tiger fans that won't pick this up just out of sheer spite.

Just call EA Sports PGA Tour and leave it there. That stands on its own.
Agree 100%. I wonder how much Golf viewership has went down (if any) since Tiger's been out of commission.

Allforce

I honestly don't care who's on the cover, a new licensed PGA Tour game has been a long time coming. This is the sort of title that could be a huge graphical upgrade on PS4/XBO/PC (but probably won't be because EA/crossgen).

Of course there's no word of Kinect support on XBO, it actually worked well on Tiger 13 aside from the fact you had to stand facing the screen and swinging to the left instead of swinging towards the TV. Like one of the few genres that could really be great with that peripheral but nope, nobody trying anymore.

Was REALLY looking forward to this game but looks like it will be (at least initially) sans Augusta. How can EA not include Augusta? I suspect Augusta will be DLC and if so, damn you EA.

I will likely wait for a "Masters" edition or discounted edition that includes Augusta and just play The Golf Club for the time being. Someone made a good mock-up of Augusta for The Golf Club so at least we can play it for free. More info here for anyone else that wants to play Augusta...

Petrae

EA probably could have saved some money by signing Jordan Speith to be its cover boy, rather than Rory.

Either way, rebranding post-Tiger (when many casual fans still only know of Eldrick, Lefty, and maybe a few others) is going to be a major challenge... not to mention the loss of the Augusta license, which will likely prove to be more damaging in losing it than in never having it at all. I know the lack of Augusta hurts my own interest in buying the game, even more so if EA expects me to pay extra for it after it was included during the previous three games.

EA has some serious work to do if it's going to convince me that Rory 15 is going to be worth $60. And, no, quicker loading times aren't enough of a reason.

EA probably could have saved some money by signing Jordan Speith to be its cover boy, rather than Rory.

Either way, rebranding post-Tiger (when many casual fans still only know of Eldrick, Lefty, and maybe a few others) is going to be a major challenge... not to mention the loss of the Augusta license, which will likely prove to be more damaging in losing it than in never having it at all. I know the lack of Augusta hurts my own interest in buying the game, even more so if EA expects me to pay extra for it after it was included during the previous three games.

EA has some serious work to do if it's going to convince me that Rory 15 is going to be worth $60. And, no, quicker loading times aren't enough of a reason.
Looks like EA believes that playing a round through the middle of a war zone with jets, warships and explosions is what golf simulation gamers want...

Not me... I want to play the Masters and hear the birds chirping and roar of the crowd on great shots.

RoKKeR

Was REALLY looking forward to this game but looks like it will be (at least initially) sans Augusta. How can EA not include Augusta? I suspect Augusta will be DLC and if so, damn you EA.

I will likely wait for a "Masters" edition or discounted edition that includes Augusta and just play The Golf Club for the time being. Someone made a good mock-up of Augusta for The Golf Club so at least we can play it for free. More info here for anyone else that wants to play Augusta...

Yeah, that's very disappointing.

Then I remember EA Access exists and this will probably be on it by the end of the year which I'm quite happy about. Really wanting a golf game to play but I'm not really sold on Golf Club...

What's more boring than golf? A golf game.

Shitposting at it's finest.

Top Bottom