• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Gameboy Advance and the best games available for it.

Hi Gaf, just thought I'd make a thread about this. I did a quick search and didn't find anything recent, so I decided to make it.

I still have my old 001 SP, but recently one of my older sisters got her hands on one of each model for her kids. This reminded me that another sister of mine promised me my nephews graphite 101 model. So I haven't played too much lately because of my 3DS, I decided to go back in time a little bit.

I wanna replay some games on it, seeing that the battery is loads longer and it's smaller than the 3ds. I wanna buy a physical copy of Superstar Saga since that's my favorite game for the system, and also it's been awhile since I beat it. I wanted to start getting into some rpgs that I never had the chance to beat.

I currently own mostly action games, what I'm craving now is to get into some games I never did in the past. After I replay Superstar Saga, I wanna make another attempt at Advance Wars. I've owned it for a long time and I could never understand it, but once I get past that, I wanna play something like Final Fantasy. I always disliked those games too but there are too many for the gba so I can't ignore them any longer.

Here's what I currently own.

Metroid Fusion
Drill Dozer
Mario Kart SS
A Link to the Past / 4 swords
Advance Wars
Wario Land 4
Pokemon FireRed (probably gonna sell all my Pokémon games soon)
Gunstar Super Heroes
Super Monkey Ball
Sword of Mana
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I'm forgetting some since I'm not home, but can you guys recommend some RPGs I missed out on? Which final Fantasy is best to start off with? What do you guys have left over sitting around from the Gameboy Era?

Paltheos

Final Fantasy V Advance is good. It suffers from worse audio like the other FF ports, but the extra content is allot of fun.

Metroid: Zero Mission is my most played game on it. A first time playthrough is good, and it's not a long game. I've always loved it myself because of how fun it is to speed run.

Ouch, Golden Sun goes for 25 bucks used on amazon. Superstar saga is about 12 to 15 bucks with shipping.

I remember hearing about ASTRO Boy. Treasure made that right? I should grab that too.

18-Volt

I'm forgetting some since I'm not home, but can you guys recommend some RPGs I missed out on? Which final Fantasy is best to start off with? What do you guys have left over sitting around from the Gameboy Era?

Play Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. Start with V.

Also look for those other RPG's:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1+2
Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis
Tales of Phantasia
Riviera The Promised Land
Yggdra Union
Breath of Fire 1+ 2

I won't recommend Final Fantasy IV and Kingdom Hearts CoM. Play their superior remakes.

Fritz

I really loved Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It didn't meet some peoples expectations because it's not exactly like FFT, but I think it's an absolute gem. One of the best stories in a Japanese game ever for me.

Play Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. Start with V.

Also look for those other RPG's:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1+2
Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis
Tales of Phantasia
Riviera The Promised Land
Yggdra Union
Breath of Fire 1+ 2

I won't recommend Final Fantasy IV and Kingdom Hearts CoM. Play their superior remakes.

I just remembered I did buy CoM when it released. It was great an die sold it right after I was done. I don't really like the new games.

And awesome, thanks for the list. So I'll start with ff V then? Okay. Doe sit have difficulty levels or is it pretty streamlined in getting further?

Tizoc

STOP
DO NOT GET BREATH OF FIRE 1+2
Their translation is horrible, terribad, really ruins the games.

Metal-Geo

Both WarioWare games. Experience the game that started it all: Mega Microgame$. Then experience the game that's even better: Twisted.

Edit: I think there's a very impressive GBA mega thread of somesort here on GAF; big-ass list of games with screenshots.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ctrl+F Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - 0 results.

Ya dun goofed GAF.

OP go play Aria of Sorrow. Best GBA game, not close.

Leynos

I'm glad that most of the greats have already been mentioned, so I will leave with the recommendation for Spyro: The Eternal Night.
Youtube link

It is always forgotten, but is a great little game that is favorably compared to Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

Try to track down a copy of Rhythm Tengoku if you can. The original is still my favorite in the entire series.

Both the GBA Wario Ware games are the best in its series as well.

FSLink

Banned
N9dIh9p.jpg

MYuMcER.jpg
I love the GBA.

Mother 3 and get the translation patch too.

Astro Boy Omega Factor
Golden Sun series
Fire Emblem series (6 has a translation patch)
Metroid Zero Mission
Wario Ware Twisted

Ignore the garbage GBA port of Tales of Phantasia.

Damn FS Link, you mod that original yourself for the backlight?

Also, final Fantasy 5 is like 45 bucks on amazon right now. Ouch.

Mother 3 micro, so jelly

kswiston

Fire Emblem for sure. The first one released in the US was better than the second one (Sacred Stones) but both are good.

sgjackson

-Aria of Sorrow is a must buy and arguably the best game on the platform.
-I love Golden Sun and The Lost Age, but I do wonder how someone would feel going to them for the first time in 2015. Having replayed the first recently I still think it holds up very well mechanically. Its slavish devotion to removing a lot of the bullshit from the classic 16-bit era J-RPG formula is reminiscent of Bravely Default, but the fact it was a graphical showcase is probably less impressive now and the story can definitely drag.
-I'd say get one or two of the Battle Network games, as they're great but kinda samey. Most people would suggest 2, 3, and 5, I think. Been a while since I went back to them.

Chinbo37

The 3 castlevania games. U can probably skip harmony oF dissonance if you aren't a big castlevania game but the other 2 are amazing.

Golden Sun if you haven't played it.

Can i be one of the lone voices and rally against this game? I expected so much from it and brought it on an overseas vacation when I was a teenager and the game came out, and I found it very boring. I can remember the music, but very little about the game at this point. Maybe I should try and revisit it, but as it stands in my mind right now, I think it is incredible mediocre and one of those games that gets a boost because its genre was under represented on a particular console.

I think I'll add it on my "list of games to revisit when I got nothing to play" document.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Need some Minish Cap up in there.

It's the best 2D Zelda since Link to the Past. I daresay that it is even better than some 3D Zeldas. Its only problem is that it's too short.

Best thing is that it chronologically takes place after Skyward Sword and has a somewhat similar art style. Dat ancient Hyrule aesthetic.

Pretty nice music too.

kris.

Banned
Golden Sun is 100% worth the $25 used. Damn-near perfect game that you'll get a lot of time out of. Golden Sun 2 is fantastic as well.

Duster

Mario Golf is actually part RPG and has a good reputation. Mario Tennis too.

Away from RPGs Kuru Kuru Kurin is great, it doesn't look it when you see the video of a spinning stick going through a maze but it is.

I ordered superstar saga today. Just under 20 dollars. I don't wanna go overboard, I shouldn't be spending too much on gaming as much as I love it.

I'll add the Sonic Advance games.

They can be a little dated now, but they are pretty fun games that mix traditional Sonic platforming with more speed based gameplay. The series probably hit its pinnacle on the DS with Rush/Rush Adventure, but the first 3 games are great.

Top Bottom