• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: FF9 Remake is cross-platform and “Not very ambitious”

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's difficult for Square and Sony not to reach an agreement, but at this moment in the generation, it's not necessary for all games to have a contract; right now, there are future-oriented thoughts. FFIX is not a very ambitious project.

GJXr0A2aQAAd-zt
GJXr6RGbAAAvT7o

Last edited:

Zheph

Oh yeah I tho it wouldn't be something close to remake in terms of scope which is completely fine imo. I just hope it won't be too chibi

No one reasonably expects it to be at the scale of the FFVII Remake trilogy project. If they were to ever do that, it wouldn't happen until the team is finished with FFVII Remake Part 3.

Skifi28

We don't need the ff7 treatment with 3 games over 15 years, but there is already a remastered version of 9 so they have to do a lot more if they are to re-release it.

As a huge Final Fantasy fan there are numerous Square games from that PS1 golden age I'd take before IX to get the remaster/remake treatment be it Vagrant Story, Xenogears, FF Tactics, FFVIII or Parasite Eve. Either way, this will be a day 1 unless they completely butcher it.

Porticus

If they mean redrawing all the background please do it, FFIX needs only a graphic overhaul and that's about it, same for VIII.

Celine

I hope so.
I prefer for FFIX a remake more in line with Star Ocean 2 R than a complete rewrite like Final Fantasy VII R.
Gemdrops did a splendid job in translating the 2D art of a PS1 RPG into full 3D (sans the characters that like the original are "sprites" however the light lit them thanks to a special shader).

maxresdefault.jpg

saintjules

As a huge Final Fantasy fan there are numerous Square games from that PS1 golden age I'd take before IX to get the remaster/remake treatment be it Vagrant Story, Xenogears, FF Tactics, FFVIII or Parasite Eve. Either way, this will be a day 1 unless they completely butcher it.

Agreed. I was never big on FFIX. Felt like a step down from VII and VIII imo.

There are other gems that deserve the treatment more so. I couldn't imagine the scale for something like Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and Legend of Dragoon, but I'd be all for it honestly.

Fbh

Depends what not ambitious means.
If it's largely the same game with some Qol improvements, redone HD backgrounds, new 3D models , etc I'd be totally fine with that.

As someone else said, if it's just an ugly 3D remake I'm out

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's got it's loyal fanbase but it's not of the same calibre of VII, VIII or X despite it's fans believing it the best one.
And the FFVIII team haven't brought it up once unlike VIII that they have mentioned several times.

hinch7

I'm fine with a lofi remaster/remake with some enhancements and redone OST. Put the main bodies on Part 3 and FFXVII.

All i want is the game with remade full 4k backgrounds, remastered soundtrack, upscalled FMV's, and some changes to the combat system and it's GOTY for me whenever it releases.

The last rule I saw was it was being co developed by Mistwalker and animation looks like Links Awakening on Switch. Top down claymation style. Which could be good, actually.

Everyone that wants just the same game but higher res… you guys DO know that already exist? Right? Meaning, this “remake” needs to be something more than just same assets with higher res, 60fps and widescreen, otherwise this will be worst than the GTA Trilogy fiasco.

Final Fantasy 9 aged incredibly well, beautiful art direction to this day... It doesn't need the FF 7 Remake treatment.

They only really need to fix the gameplay. It's really slow, and the Trance thing... A lot of the times it gets wasted on random encounters, where it triggers when the battle is like one hit away from ending.

I think it should be a thing you trigger yourself.

DonF

I want every 2d final fantasy on the octopath traveller engine, some QoL like faster speed on walking and battles and we are good. No need for a ffvii treatment for every game

The second most expensive Final Fantasy (squaresoft period and behind FF7/FF13) going to be "not very ambitious" ?

K, die Square...

Uh, what? Pretty sure FF VIII was more expensive than IX. Heck VIII was probably more expensive than VII back in the day and if not, only because it didn't have a PC/Windows port like VII did.

Also realistically, they can't give every FF game the VII Remake treatment. Just too much money each time and time will still have to tell if the VII Remake trilogy (the way SE have been going about it) will be considered financially successful or not.

Top Bottom