• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: FF9 Remake is cross-platform and “Not very ambitious”

squarealex

Uh, what? Pretty sure FF VIII was more expensive than IX. Heck VIII was probably more expensive than VII back in the day and if not, only because it didn't have a PC/Windows port like VII did.

Also realistically, they can't give every FF game the VII Remake treatment. Just too much money each time and time will still have to tell if the VII Remake trilogy (the way SE have been going about it) will be considered financially successful or not.

Final Fantasy VII : 45 million $ developpement + 40-100 for Marketing (Sony on US/EU ?)
Final Fantasy VIII : 20 - 28 million $ (3 billion of yen) + Marketing ??
Final Fantasy IX : 40 million $ developpement + Marketing ??
Final Fantasy X : 32,8 million $ developpement
Final Fantasy XI : 16 - 24 million $ developpement
Final Fantasy XII : 35 million $ (4 billion of Yen)

For FF7, is obliviously all the tech CGI invested at the time + the big grow up of Square.
For FF9, I thinks is most of cost is art stuff and especially, the games was making at Hawaii, given the environment and the cost of life there, no doubt this is one of reason

yeah I know, crazy that FF10 and FF12 cost less than FF9.

To give you an idea, Uncharted 2 cost 40 million $.

Looking back, I think that from FF7 to FF10, the development cost of these games were a huge anomaly in their time...
No one on this industry go so far... except Yu Suzuki for Shenmue.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Agreed. I was never big on FFIX. Felt like a step down from VII and VIII imo.

There are other gems that deserve the treatment more so. I couldn't imagine the scale for something like Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and Legend of Dragoon, but I'd be all for it honestly.
I personally think FF9 was a step up from 7 and 8. Never really fell in love with 7 the way a lot of others did. I’m definitely not denying that it’s a great game though. 8 on the other hand. I wish it never existed lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just make it snappy. I cannot play these slow-ass jrpgs anymore. It's like Resident Evil, one of my favorite franchises ever, I cannot watch door opening transitions anymore. I just cannot.

We are in a age of no loading... speed these games up, for god's sake. 🙏

SHA

It's basically the same when I like FF12 but almost everyone shit on this game, that doesn't change how I view this game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's fine with me, so long as they don't end up butchering the art design.
ZidaneTribal.png

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Final Fantasy VII : 45 million $ developpement + 40-100 for Marketing (Sony on US/EU ?)

For FF7, is obliviously all the tech CGI invested at the time + the big grow up of Square.
For FF9, I thinks is most of cost is art stuff and especially, the games was making at Hawaii, given the environment and the cost of life there, no doubt this is one of reason

Looking back, I think that from FF7 to FF10, the development cost of these games were a huge anomaly in their time...

IX's costs might've also been partially attributable to engine overhaul costs. I know for Shenmue, for example, a lot of the $70 million was for the engine that they later used in games like VF4 (modified, of course). Probably the original Yakuza titles on PS2 as well.

Also yeah, the budgets for games like FF VII, IX etc. were quite higher versus other 'AAA' titles of that period. What a dream it would be to see AAA games today return to those budgets while still maintaining modern-day production values...or at least return to the typical budgets of late-era 7th-gen/mid-era 8th-gen AAA titles (which I'd guess were around $30 million to $100 million)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Most of the time I'm just ok with some graphical and QoL improvements so it's ok by me if I can play this game for first time in a modern system

Lokaum D+

"FFIX is not a very ambitious project."

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

give me something close to that fan demo ( a little less cartoonish ) and i ll be happy, FF7 remake should've follow the same principle.

Last edited:
GREAT! I thought we all agreed that 200 million budgets are unsustainable an we need to slow down. Right... Right?
I mean, if you want the game split into 3 parts, $70 each, and a 4 year wait in between each part then fair enough.

Big fan of FF7R but i am not interested in every FF game getting that sort of treatment.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope they completely overhaul the battle system but keep everything else very close to the original. I loved IX back in the day but I find it unplayable now because the battle system is so damn slow and boring.

TGO

I know you're listing sources but I know numbers well as I've talked about them many times and that's not exactly right
FFVII is spot on, but FFVIII was 32mill plus 115mil marketing
development was cheaper due work already done with FFVII, same with IX but that cost more for other reasons which I mention down below
But both FFVII & VIII had bigger marketing budgets pushing them way above IX's as it's marketing was small in comparison not even breaking 80mil as Sony wasn't all in on IX probably due to the Launch of the PS2
Some fans blame the lack of sales at the original launch because of this

FFIX was 36mil and as I mentioned which you did as well some of that cost came from a lot stuff being outsourced and not produced internally and the production wasn't very well managed either and was rushed to market, FFX budget was also higher and was in development during IX development
If you pop over to beyond3D forums they talk about this.
Although the thread is very old

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Anything is better than that shit port they released on Switch. Playing it right now and while it is still a great game, the blurry backdrops are a huge contrast to the more detailed and up ressed character models. It also has zero improved loading in battles, and although it can be alleviated with fast forward, it's still a fucking slog. Auto save is a nice feature though.

Jinzo Prime

"FFIX is not a very ambitious project."

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

give me something close to that fan demo ( a little less cartoonish ) and i ll be happy, FF7 remake should've follow the same principle.

This would be perfect, but I would also take Star Ocean 2nd Story R graphics. Just anything other than a lazy AI upscale.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Then there’s barely any point.
The currently available version has all the QoL features you may want. The only things it’s missing is HD backgrounds and a better framerate - the world map was so choppy on the OLED TV I played the game on, I had to turn on frame interpolation to not get sick.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That art style is gross. I fucking hate the chibi art style 🤮

Please, can we have a hyper realistic art style in UE5. Not this Fisher-Price BS.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I personally think FF9 was a step up from 7 and 8. Never really fell in love with 7 the way a lot of others did. I’m definitely not denying that it’s a great game though. 8 on the other hand. I wish it never existed lol
Look unless they did a windows 10 style skipping of a number there HAD to be an 8 at some point!

Hunter 99

I was hoping it would be like that FFIX remake project on YouTube than giving it the FFVII treatment. I don't really think FFVII top tier modern graphics fit as well with a game like FFIX and its character models.

But I am hoping for more than just a remaster. Something in between.

That's what I'm referencing.

This would be a dream come true.

The only other FF that's maybe popular enough to get a big VII style remake is X, and even that is questionable if it'd be worth the effort. X is a really solid game even in 2024, and still my favorite turn based battle system in a FF game, would be sad to see it go for some outlandish action spectacle shit.

LordCBH

Look, if I get a 9 remake with pretty towns and a nice graphical facelift + the classic battles. Then I’ll be fine.

//DEVIL//

I dont mind playing the game with updated character polygons and sharp 4k texture on the back at 60 fps.

it doesnt have to get the same Final fantasy 7 treatment. even though I think it should. because clearly the game will sell better than the new mainline final fantasy games.

Larxia

I hope "not very ambitious" doesn't mean a mobile looking game like these "HD 2D" games, a cheap 3D game or something like that.

I would like for it to be at least a normal looking game with a 3D camera that you can move around and have more freedom in your movement. Doesn't need to be crazy big and expanded like FF7 Rebirth, but just a modern (in the good sense) treatment of FF IX.

If it's the exact same game but with cleaner visuals I don't really see the point, especially on PC where you already have the moguri mod and such...

Pejo

Good. Keep the time ghosts and fanfic rewrites out of it. Updated models, and PROPERLY uprezzed pre-rendered backgrounds is all I want. Maybe if they want to go the extra mile, just have the 3d models blend in a bit better with the backgrounds using visual filters.

I told people the days of Sony paying for exclusives is winding down now. Foreclosing on Xbox does absolutely nothing these days.

I think we'll get a better game as a result of this.

Larxia

Thank god... enough with this FF action rpg bullshit
I don't know, for me the combat system would absolutely need to be reworked, otherwise what's the point here.

I'm not saying it has to be action necessarily, but if it remains turn based, please be upgraded, although I know it won't. I always thought I hated turn based in general, because I never found it interesting in j-rpg, people complain about "button mashers" in action, but in j-rpg it's literally that, you just spam attack and that's it, with the occasional ice spell on a fire ennemy or whatever like that, it's super basic and doesn't involve any strategy.

The few places where there could be "strategy" in turn based j-rpg is boss fights, and even these most of the time don't allow for strategy, because for some reason you can never build up things in j-rpg combats.
For example, in all those games, you have some special attacks / spells that you can basically never use, I'm talking like strong buffs / debuffs, curse spells etc... They aren't worth being wasted on regular mobs, and bosses are almost always immuned to them, and when they are not, they will wipe all buffs and debuffs for the field in the next turn, so you have a bunch of actions that can just never really be used and are pointless, I never understood this in jrpgs.

Then recently I played Baldur's Gate 3, I went it for the immersive sim part but I was worried about the combats since it's turn based. It turns out that I actually really enjoyed them, way beyond anything I imagined. After beating Baldur's Gate 3, I played Midnight Suns, another turn based game, and I really like the combats there too. In this type of turn based there is an actual sense of strategy, you really have to think.
The turn based in jrpgs... I don't know, it's so basic, I really don't see anything strategic about it and it's just tedious for me.

I know FF will never have turn based combats like Baldur's Gate or stuff like that though, but I wish it did if it were to be turn based again. Being able to move your character strategically, use the environment etc makes the combats much more interesting than just spamming the action buton, which is ironically more spammy than what people complain about in action games :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

TGO

What a dream it would be to see AAA games today return to those budgets while still maintaining modern-day production values...or at least return to the typical budgets of late-era 7th-gen/mid-era 8th-gen AAA titles (which I'd guess were around $30 million to $100 million)
What's amazing is the jump from FFIX to FFX and yet the budget very little, and the generation after that, and after that, yet in 4 years the budget has gotten ridiculous.
I honestly don't believe the whole Budget business today.
The budgets have shot up dramatically in period of working at home, clamping down crunch culture and hiring people to tell you what you must have in your games.
And theres very little to suggest the budget is actually on the games real production.

It doesn't matter how good or bad the remake is, I can always go back and play the original.

I'm hoping for the best, but also, a major part of FFIX was that it was a celebration/send-off of FF as a whole, before transitioning to the newer style with FFX on the PS2. It was tailor-made to be nostalgic. I don't know if it's possible to capture that specific aspect of it in a modern remake.

Brigandier

I hope the remake is in the same vein as Star Ocean 2's remake with plenty of QoL adjustments, Nice fluid smooth battle system and good quality voice acting.

I think that would be perfect and would suit FFIX perfectly.

Please just remove the trophy for 1000 jump rope skips and I’m in.

That was an absolutely evil trophy I think I could manage like 8 jumps 🤣

Elios83

Hopefully not ambitious does not mean cheap 3D graphics because that would ruin the game.
At that point there are better alternatives including sticking to pre-rendered backgrounds but redone from scratch in native 4K (no upscaling traditional or AI based).
The more stylized 3D graphics could still work for the 3D map.

Anyway these are just rumors so we'll see when the project is announced.

Top Bottom