• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: FF9 Remake is cross-platform and “Not very ambitious”

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, the game is largely free from needing updates or changes, but the tragic speed of the original FFIX warrants an upgrade that isn't a port of a port. Maybe expand in so far as new dungeons or a new sidequest within the context of the already established world map. Fuck, add in the Ruins of Terra or some shit, but don't remove or change any of the original content. Just make it faster and prettier. Please no voice acting.

I know you're listing sources but I know numbers well as I've talked about them many times and that's not exactly right
FFVII is spot on, but FFVIII was 32mill plus 115mil marketing
development was cheaper due work already done with FFVII, same with IX but that cost more for other reasons which I mention down below
But both FFVII & VIII had bigger marketing budgets pushing them way above IX's as it's marketing was small in comparison not even breaking 80mil as Sony wasn't all in on IX probably due to the Launch of the PS2
Some fans blame the lack of sales at the original launch because of this

FFIX was 36mil and as I mentioned which you did as well some of that cost came from a lot stuff being outsourced and not produced internally and the production wasn't very well managed either and was rushed to market, FFX budget was also higher and was in development during IX development
If you pop over to beyond3D forums they talk about this.
Although the thread is very old

I'm curious where y'all are getting these figures from. Not that I don't believe them, but because it's just very surprising to see that Squaresoft spent over 3x the dev costs on marketing for a PS1 AAA game where the typical AAA game back then probably costed half as much to dev and probably not very much more than the dev costs to market.

Guess it makes things easier to understand, why they ended up needing an investment from Sony to stay afloat at the end of the decade and into PS2 years, between insane marketing costs for VIII and Spirits Within losing a ton of money. Just also kind of supports the argument that maybe Squaresoft (now Square-Enix, but in this case mainly the Square side) haven't been the best publisher in managing their money and that goes back decades.

Probably even prior to VII. I mean they were gonna shut down if FF didn't take off on the Famicom after all, but I'm just being a bit cheeky in tying that situation to this wider observation on fiscal management issues post-VII.

Some bad taste on this board. I'd rather the game not be touched personally. Playing Rebirth and most of the time it feels like I'm watching RuPaul's Drag Race with how zesty and toned down the game is. Fucking awful. I don't want that for FF IX.

Uh isn't that one of the most glammed-up shows on the planet? Just hearing it mentioned and then toned down right after feels like an oxymoron xD

What's amazing is the jump from FFIX to FFX and yet the budget very little, and the generation after that, and after that, yet in 4 years the budget has gotten ridiculous.
I honestly don't believe the whole Budget business today.
The budgets have shot up dramatically in period of working at home, clamping down crunch culture and hiring people to tell you what you must have in your games.
And theres very little to suggest the budget is actually on the games real production.

Yeah the unnecessary consultation hires have likely had a not-insignificant increase in budgets across the board but thinking about it, WFH and lack of crunch are definitely also contributors to higher costs for game dev these days, especially AAA.

What I don't get about the anti-crunch push is, aren't most devs normally paid for their overtime? I would always think, if you're able to choose to crunch or not, and you're getting paid extra for crunch, then that in itself shouldn't be an issue.

But somehow that side of the conversation got lost to villainize crunch in its entirety, so now people who would've opted to crunch don't have a choice to earn more money on the job, companies have to pay more in hiring more people even if some of the hires aren't tasked with doing a lot of work. Plus now the unions: on the one hand I 100% support workers having their rights. On the other hand, some of these unions are def probably using this push to extract more money from publishers (just like some of these unneeded consultation groups), and all of that drives up costs.

Which for us customers either means higher costs or lowered quality, at the end of the day. Anyway this is kind of veering into off-topic so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: TGO

sigmaZ

I hope so.
I prefer for FFIX a remake more in line with Star Ocean 2 R than a complete rewrite like Final Fantasy VII R.
Gemdrops did a splendid job in translating the 2D art of a PS1 RPG into full 3D (sans the characters that like the original are "sprites" however the light lit them thanks to a special shader).

maxresdefault.jpg
I pray everyday that Xenogears gets this treatment.

I pray everyday that Xenogears gets this treatment.
In some ways I dream for this, but then I think realistically.. they couldn't even finish the game back then much less today I'd worry. And who knows what all they would decide they would change to more accurately reflect what "they originally had in mind". Plus staff aren't there. But I'd like to see it get a facelift or some kind of aesthetic exclusive treatment or things of that nature without a lot of creative changes. I wouldn't worry so much about that.

kunonabi

Final Fantasy 9 aged incredibly well, beautiful art direction to this day... It doesn't need the FF 7 Remake treatment.

They only really need to fix the gameplay. It's really slow, and the Trance thing... A lot of the times it gets wasted on random encounters, where it triggers when the battle is like one hit away from ending.

I think it should be a thing you trigger yourself.
If you trigger it yourself than it will need to be rebalanced or we'll just have a repeat of how stupid limit breaks were in FFVII.

Top Bottom