• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel considering adding Kingpin in Spider-Man: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.screengeek.net/2016/05/19/marvel-considering-adding-kingpin-to-spider-man-homecoming/

kingpinspiderman.png

Recently, Agents of SHIELD actress, Chloe Bennet expressed her frustrations on Marvel Studios not following through with their Cinematic Universe thing. While the movies all give each other high-fives, and swap characters, and what not, they seem to ignore their TV shows entirely. Hell, even the shows acknowledge the movies. But it seems like a one-way street.

Well, it looks like Marvel may have listened to their television star, and is starting to buck up. According to a source close to the situation:

“Marvel Studios is considering having Vincent D’Onofrio reprise his Wilson Fisk role from Daredevil in Spider-Man: Homecoming.”

Please let this be true. D'Onofrio's Kingpin has been the highlight of the Daredevil series and could solve the MCU's lackluster villain problem in the films.

Even if they do, they'll have to assume you've not watched the TV show anyway.

The majority of people who go to see spiderman won't have watched the TV show (the same reason that most of the tv shows don't get referenced at all).

They need to do it, have it pay off and realise that they have tonnes of other characters they can use for Infinity War to help promote how much of a threat Thanos is.

Of course some of the minor characters can fight scrubs etc. or have the scientists all working together for tech based solutions but either way we need that famous Infinity Gauntlet scene recreated with the MCU casts.

Alienous

The majority of people who go to see spiderman won't have watched the TV show (the same reason that most of the tv shows don't get referenced at all).

They don't have to do anything other than put him in a white suit and refer to him as 'the Kingpin'.

Same with comics - you can do extended cameos and let the audience figure it out for themselves.

Dali

She seems pissed but what does she expect? She honestly expects to get an avenger to make an appearance? Shes lucky they got fury for a few seconds.

And she seems to have a pretty entitled attitude. what reason would marvel have for shoehorning her character into a movie? Makes you hope marvel calls everyone up to the majors except her, lol.

lupinko

Eh not really, Agents of Shield set up Ultron.

I don't see that as a negative, I see it more as an Easter egg for diehard fans.

Zaph

Just googled the comment mentioned in the OP:
Chloe Bennet said:
I don’t know. People who make movies for Marvel, why don’t you acknowledge what happens on our show? Why don’t you guys go ask them that? Cause they don’t seem to care!

Isn't the show apparently terrible? I'm not surprised they don't bother acknowledge it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it, but I'd love it to be true. Don't forget that Red Hulk was rumored to be in Civil War, Green Lantern was rumored to show up in BvS...

a.wd

Use him sparingly, like a frosting, don't put a massive slice of kingpin in there it will ruin it.

As he is in the Marvelverse he is a behind the scenes manipulator and monster. Don't be tempted to gorge on the kingpin when a fine jus will do just perfectly.

Man, I'm hungry.

Eh not really, Agents of Shield set up Ultron.

I don't see that as a negative, I see it more as an Easter egg for diehard fans.

Agents of shield really didn't set anything up. They made a really poor attempt at it, which ultimately made no difference to the film plot at all. Except it seemed like "Oh and Helicarrier out of nowhere" in the film.
If anything, if that's what the tvshow/film crossovers will be like, that's an argument to not include the tv shows at all. The majority of people watching that, it would have been a dues ex machina out of nowhere, because they forgot to include more than a vague hint about "something impressive" from fury in the film.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
D'Onofrio's Kingpin deserves to be in something that isn't awful. It's just too good.

CloudWolf

Hell yeah, D'Onofrio is great in the role. I loved it when he showed up in Daredevil S2. Punisher was great and all, but as soon as Kingpin was back he was done IMO.

She seems pissed but what does she expect? She honestly expects to get an avenger to make an appearance? Shes lucky they got fury for a few seconds.

Yeah, it's like she doesn't fully understand how the media industry works. A big name actor like Downey Jr. or Evans isn't going to do a television episode for not even 1% of the pay of the films just because 'we gotta keep the MCU thing going'. It really sounds like she wants to be in the movies, which simply isn't going to happen.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Be fine long as he's not the main villain . I've always found Kingpin to be really boring when he's the main focus.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

And she seems to have a pretty entitled attitude. what reason would marvel have for shoehorning her character into a movie? Makes you hope marvel calls everyone up to the majors except her, lol.

Yeah, it's like she doesn't fully understand how the media industry works. A big name actor like Downey Jr. or Evans isn't going to do a television episode for not even 1% of the pay of the films just because 'we gotta keep the MCU thing going'.

After watching AoS up to mid season 3, I'm glad that the movies ignored the tv (network) shows. They only got better during the Winter Soldier/Hydra events but sucked again (script, acting...) later on. I dropped out on the (network) superhero shows and I'm staying with Netflix DD.

Hell yeah, D'Onofrio is great in the role. I loved it when he showed up in Daredevil S2. Punisher was great and all, but as soon as Kingpin was back he was done IMO.

Yeah, it's like she doesn't fully understand how the media industry works. A big name actor like Downey Jr. or Evans isn't going to do a television episode for not even 1% of the pay of the films just because 'we gotta keep the MCU thing going'. It really sounds like she wants to be in the movies, which simply isn't going to happen.
Wtf are you guys talking about, she said nothing about expecting big movie stars to appear on SHIELD, she just said the movies don't acknowledge the show at all.

They'll Crossbones/Strucker him. Brief intro appearance, kill him off.

Just googled the comment mentioned in the OP:

Isn't the show apparently terrible? I'm not surprised they don't bother acknowledge it.

It really is. Well, terrible might be a bit far. It "got better" than it was, but that was like, going from completely mediocre to "it's kind of ok at time, I guess".

Honestly, it doesn't even feel like it exists in the same universe as either the multiple Netflix series or the core MCU (but especially the Netflix series - there's literally no resemblance what-so-ever). It's some weird-ass other thing that keeps making (often forced) references and having shit-tons of Avengers props and designs pop up. And that's basically on every level in every way.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Like someone else mentioned, would need a MUCH smaller dose of him. Less dialog. I've already seen him beaten badly.

The problem with MCU villains is because they have small screentime presence and focus, now you want Kingpin to go the same route? Nope, I strongly disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom