• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers on why Indiana Jones is First Person: "First-person gameplay is part of MachineGames’ DNA"

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
DumPeople here defending the first person view because MachineGames are good at it, did you even watch the fucking gameplay? Do you expect indie to pull out fucking machine guns out of his ass and shred hundreds of nazis? NO. All we saw was some horribly janky melee punches, a janky whip attack and a revolver. This aint what MachineGames are good at, not at all, so their excuse can go down the fucking drain. HOWEVER and this a huge one, if the level design is impressive, lets say Dishonored/Prey in similar scope and the stealth is a huge aspect of it as well as exploration and multiple paths, then I will be fucking impressed. Sadly, I've learned to expect the worse from MS for the past years so, I'm in the it'll be a garbage walking sim game camp. Stupid that they didnt give us a game similar to Uncharted or TR, it's not like we get these games every fucking day lmao.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No, but when you start a post with "whatever they do, it will be disappointing", you're kinda giving the whole game away

Yeah....you keep quoting that part and ignoring the context of what he said. I explained it and you ignored that too.

and any post from those users in any discussion related to the game should be on automatic grounds for dismissal.

No idea what you are even talking about here.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DumPeople here defending the first person view because MachineGames are good at it, did you even watch the fucking gameplay? Do you expect indie to pull out fucking machine guns out of his ass and shred hundreds of nazis? NO. All we saw was some horribly janky melee punches, a janky whip attack and a revolver. This aint what MachineGames are good at, not all, so their excuse can go down the fucking drain. HOWEVER and this a huge one, if the level design is impressive, lets say Dishonored/Prey in similar scope and the stealth is a huge aspect of it as well as exploration and multiple paths, then I will be fucking impressed. Sadly, I've learned to expect the worse from MS for the past years so, I'm in the it'll be a garbage walking sim game. Stupid that they didnt give us a game similar to Uncharted or TR, it's not like we get these games every fucking day lmao.

Tell us you never played Riddick or The Darkness without telling us you never played Riddick or The Darkness.

SirTerry-T

Sounds like you suck at making games.

Bitch please. If you polled 100 people if they wanted this in third or first, they would’ve had a major win for third.

Good luck with the game but it ain’t for me to be in first person flailing a whip like a Jack ass. Make this a $20 VR game instead and you’d see more interest.

This could’ve stood shoulder to shoulder with uncharted and tomb raider if done right.
I bet you suck more.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Tell us you never played Riddick or The Darkness without telling us you never played Riddick or The Darkness.

I've played both. You have no idea what you're talking about. If you knew me and from my post history, you'd know I'm a huge defender of first person, and immersive sims are my favorite genre of all time. Indie just aint it unless it has the features I mentioned in my previous post. Riddick was a product of its time. It has not aged well unlike other first peron games. I tried replaying it. I just couldnt.

Last edited:

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
If they are taking the Riddick route, interesting results can be achieved and even a future cult game. If they try to turn it into a Wolfenstein, here comes another potencial fiasco. I like the first person focus, but i hope they come up with something really engaging gamplay wise.

VulcanRaven

These kind of actions scenes would look much better in 3rd person:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I love how they went with First Person view, changing the picture from what many expected would be an Uncharted ‘clone’…and you’re out here claiming they aren’t taking risks.
Do you?

Come one, man, let's not be disingenuous. You only now "love" it because you don't have any option. You, too, wanted Indiana Jones to be third-person and were arguing with others who thought it was going to be a first-person game.

RBO0mtg.jpg
WuSI9Iy.jpg
Q07KAB7.jpg

Now you're trying to be negative towards people who are disappointed that it is indeed a first-person game? Why? Just because they are not faking to be in "love" that this game is in first person?

Lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah....you keep quoting that part and ignoring the context of what he said. I explained it and you ignored that too.

If they make an Uncharted clone, it'll be perceived as a lesser game because the developer isn't 'Naughty Dogs caliber'.

If they do not follow the Uncharted template, it'll be disappointing because they didn't follow the Uncharted template.

The context is crystal clear, what I don't understand why you're batting in its defense this much.

In other places, at least you've said that you're going to give the game a shake and see if it turns out to be good, which is more than the posts we quoted have done, it has already outright dismissed the game as a disappointment no matter what the developer would have done.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It looks great. Screw third person camera. It's something different and hopefully there are a lot of amazing puzzles and that Indy vibe.

DeepSpace5D

First-person games were also the DNA of Guerrilla Games, but they successfully pulled off the switch to third-person.

I’m sure it’s not an easy thing to do as a studio when you are used to making one perspective of game for a long time, but it can be done.

Arkane is going third-person for Blade after making first-person games for a long time with the Dishonored series and Deathloop. If I had to guess why, I would imagine part of that has to do with a heavy emphasis on melee combat, which rarely translates to a good feel in the first-person perspective.

Which brings me to my point about Indiana Jones. A heavy emphasis on melee combat with the whip and punches, to me, just seems like it would be way more fun to play in the third-person perspective. Third person games are where melee combat shines generally.

With that being said, I actually wasn’t aware of the pedigree of this studio and their history with the Riddick games and The Darkness until I read it yesterday from some comments here on Gaf. I really like both of those series, so I think this game is in good hands.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
First person is best for games which are either slower paced, very cone of vision kinds of gameplay where you arent surrounded, or a game where seeing it out of your eyes makes sense (like a lot of shooters).

Imagine trying to play Diablo as first person or COD as third person or isometric. lol
Oh I dont have to imagine, i played MGS1 and MGS2. RE2, RE3. These games were straight up unplayable in the isometric/fixed cam view and we went to over the shoulder to give us that increased control.

And I grew up on Socom my man. I still to this day prefer it over CoD. Hell, CoD actually added third person view in some lobbies last year and it was a huge success. I actually think a lot of CoD issues in recent years such as people spawning behind them would be solved if they moved to third person. You would have far more spacial awareness.

Fortnite's success (i believe it recently passed more concurrent players than CoD, GTA and all other F2P games combined) proves that people dont really mind third person views in competitive shooters.

Well, at least MachineGames copied Naughty Dog's formula of spewing out nothing but the same IP and gameplay for the last decade, so at least they got some inspiration from them.

adamsapple

The official website is up with some information.

- Single player only
- Globe trotting adventure
- Mixture of linear + open zones
- Whip is not just a weapon but also a traversal tool
- Set between Raiders and Last Crusade

VxGw5HE.jpg
lOzmcvD.jpg
EFIKz3D.jpg
ph6cAXG.jpg

Ozriel

M$FT
Why could/can the makers of Tomb Raider, or Uncharted, or Jedi Fallen Order and Survivor, or MGS5, or TLOU, or GoW, or any number of other excellent third person action adventure games pull it off but this developer seemed to feel like it couldn't?

Source?

Imagine, God of War in first person...would it work?

Or, is seeing Kratos on screen a big part of the visual experience?

If you’d bothered to read the article in the OP, you’d see the developers acknowledge that Indiana is only human, albeit an extremely agile and resourceful one. None of that superhuman stuff.

Doesn’t really make sense to compare to Kratos, does it?

5aRSTcu.gif

LL9R72h.gif

now compare this to Avowed's combat and see how limiting it is. First person view limits everything from movesets to movements and abilities. It works perfectly fine for basic first person multiplayer games like CoD and battlefield, but I wouldnt want first person limiting core features in action adventure games that are supposed to do far more than shooting.

You will note that Avowed is an RPG, and combat is somewhat slower paced. Tens of millions of people bought and played Skyrim with first person combat.

Again, you’ll need to think again on the genre of the Indiana Jones game, and the abilities of the titular character you play as.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If they make an Uncharted clone, it'll be perceived as a lesser game because the developer isn't 'Naughty Dogs caliber'.

If they do not follow the Uncharted template, it'll be disappointing because they didn't follow the Uncharted template.

The context is crystal clear, what I don't understand why you're batting in its defense this much.

In other places, at least you've said that you're going to give the game a shake and see if it turns out to be good, which is more than the posts we quoted have done, it has already outright dismissed the game as a disappointment no matter what the developer would have done.
Again, you misunderstand.

First of all, that post was in favor of Machine Games. They seemed to be in a tough position, i.e., they would be in trouble regardless of what they did. That's what I acknowledged. You think it was against them, but I was feeling for the devs and studio. Try reading that post again in this context.

Second, my hope/wish was that they would make a AAA next-gen game that would be better than Naughty Dog's 9-year-old game. Very few studios can beat Naughty Dog head-on, but first-party studios can certainly beat Naughty Dog's 9-year-old game. Indiana Jones can still do that when it releases. But (because of my personal preferences for 3rd person games), I was hoping MG would do that by making Indy as a 3P game.

Third, nobody has dismissed Indiana Jones. If the game releases in good condition and the reviews are good, I promise you that I'll definitely play the game. Why won't I.

damidu

all the apparent jank makes it clear that this was the wrong studio to tackle this.
at least have them get support, you have like 100k devs, geez.

first person looks completely out of place,
whatever parts they showed in 3rd person is uncanny canyon levels bad.

hopefully some good story in there, but that also seems up in the air with all the purple hairs in the interviews.

ManaByte

Gold Member
"Man I wish we'd get another Riddick. That game was amazing."

Original Riddick devs: "Here you go, but now it's Indiana Jones"

"FUCK YOU WE WANTED THIRD PERSON LIKE UNCHARTED!"

all the apparent jank makes it clear that this was the wrong studio to tackle this.
at least have them get support, you have like 100k devs, geez.

first person looks completely out of place,
whatever parts they showed in 3rd person is uncanny canyon levels bad.

hopefully some good story in there, but that also seems up in the air with all the purple hairs in the interviews.

It’s why I don’t like Bethesda in general , I’ve tried to like their stuff but it’s has this archaic jank quality I find off putting. I don’t like Howard either, strikes me as a bit phoney and it’s just my luck he teams up with another phoney in Spencer .

Their RPGs just remind me how I miss a on form BioWare

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Do you?

Come one, man, let's not be disingenuous. You only now "love" it because you don't have any option. You, too, wanted Indiana Jones to be third-person and were arguing with others who thought it was going to be a first-person game.

RBO0mtg.jpg
WuSI9Iy.jpg
Q07KAB7.jpg

Now you're trying to be negative towards people who are disappointed that it is indeed a first-person game? Why? Just because they are not faking to be in "love" that this game is in first person?

Lol.

I certainly didn’t hide it at all that I would have preferred it in third person. At all.
I also made a point that you cannot make a call on the perspective of a new game just by looking at the past history of the developers.

Not sure How you can read “Not necessarily a safe assumption” and translate that to complete rejection of a first person perspective. But it seems warz tends to interfere with comprehension.

You know what changed? They showed gameplay that I found really resonated with me, I realized it had similarities with the Riddick game I played and loved, and I listened to the developers explain why they went with first person for immersion.

Sucks for you that you’re unable to show where I complained about the perspective after they showed the gameplay 🤣

Last edited:

adamsapple

It could but I like to see the character doing it. You could see Indy struggling and see his facial expressions.

The trailer already showed the camera pulling back for a full third person view in canned animation sequences, similar to how the Riddick games did it. (games as in Butcher Bay and Dark Athena)

You're gonna see Indy a lot, there's no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I don't have to fully agree with Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 to understand what he is saying that the dev is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Factually, this game will be compared to its spiritual predeccesors and that is not an easy task. You highlighted this post as some kind of gotcha and it just isn't that at all. So if you want to call that "battling" then have at it. If the game turns out to be great then Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 will be proven wrong so I hope he is. That doesn't negate his point.

Klayzer

Do you?

RBO0mtg.jpg
WuSI9Iy.jpg
Q07KAB7.jpg

Lol.
Busted.

TheShocker

Anyone bitching about it being first-person can suck it.

I originally felt like the game needed to be 3rd person. But after looking back at MachineGames history, I felt 1st was the way to go.

Topher

Gold Member
It was brought up in every thread about this game including the ones about exclusivity.

Hell....we even had a damn poll on it and 83% said the game would be third person. But now we have a narrative from some here that everyone changed their story since yesterday.

GfJKdRA.png

Top Bottom