• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Random Internet Forum User claims Switch 2 BC sent to developers

ManaByte

Gold Member
EKp2LFj.png

"Back-compat is present to partners & testing is underway.

The major unknown seems to be the extent any such enhancements may provide."

Super Mario Dancing GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
You know that they probably fought for months over this as Nintendo loves to resell remasters / ports.

Nintendo has done BC for every console this century though, starting with the GCN.

Wii was BC with the GCN. Wii U was BC with the Wii. If the Switch successor wasn't BC with the Switch it would've been a disaster for them with the console destined to dethrone the PS2 in sales.

The reason why they did so many remasters and ports on the Switch from the Wii U was because they only sold 13 million Wii Us total. It was a way for them to recoup those development costs and allow people to play games they missed.

Nintendo has done BC for every console this century though, starting with the GCN.

Wii was BC with the GCN. Wii U was BC with the Wii. If the Switch successor wasn't BC with the Switch it would've been a disaster for them with the console destined to dethrone the PS2 in sales.

The piracy/emulation angle of the Switch makes physical BC very questionable. Digital BC to me seems like a compromise given that there's likely some publishers who don't want BC at all. Plus I bet Nintendo will let them charge for upgrades if they want to.

Last edited:
I never really doubted BC. Nintendo is on record ( albeit in a somewhat coy manner) that the current Nintendo account is set up to ease the transition to the Switch successor. Cutting off legacy Switch software seems antithetical to that. Why restart that ecosystem at this point with 140 million ( and going) Switches out there?

Enhancements though?
a-surprise-to-be-sure-but-a-welcome-one-when-55157418.png

Question is will it be free enhancements or they'll paywall them ala select PS4-PS5 upgrades. I'm guessing it will similarly be case by case but something like bumping resolution and frames IMHO should just be brute forced via the hardware without paying( not that I claim to know how these things work).

Unknown?

True, but Switch had the advantage of a predecessor nobody bought. Bringing amazing games like Mario Kart 8 etc to millions of people who never had the chance to try them was almost like free money for Nintendo. Also the Wii U was completely different architecturally speaking, so there's that.
Now they don't have that advantage. Switch already had bad dry spots and was only alleviated by porting old games otherwise it would have been really sparce.

Zannegan

You know that they probably fought for months over this as Nintendo loves to resell remasters / ports.
I mean, the two don't necessarily interfere with one another. Look at Sony remastering TLoU2 on PS5 in spite of BC. And Nintendo still has plenty of GC, Wii, and Wii U games to remaster, not to mention all the GBA, DS, and especially 3DS games that aren't on VC.

splattered

hopefully this includes physical BC and not just digital because they change formats. I spent a bunch of money on Wii-U games and had to rebuy a bunch of them for the switch. Never again.

This is going to be a very small hardware update probably.

Absolutely not. The efficiency gains alone and the fact that all major semiconductor manufacturers have changed process nodes means we are getting a large jump in tech. No, not large like N64 to GCN, probably more like PS3 to PS4. That’s a pretty large bump for a hybrid device.

If there is anything to be concerned about, it will be how Nintendo plans to deal with storage on the new system. Devs are creating games with SSDs in mind. Cartridges are far better than disks, but nowhere near the I/O of a PS5. I don’t see them giving a lot of storage, and since it’s a handheld the only thing I can think of is targeting lower resolution/framerate and being weaker in terms of new multi platform games. The best they’re going to do is maybe an enhanced dock, but I just don’t see how they can possibly bridge the I/O gap there.

What everyone didn’t realize is Nintendo dropped out of the home console business after Wii-U. It’s Japan focused handhelds all the way now, that you just happen to be able to play on a TV with your dock. Turns out the Game Boy Player everyone mocked was actually the future of Nintendo. They will still deliver power gains each generation, but it will be in terms of handheld generations and not full blown console.

Robb

Gold Member
If there is anything to be concerned about, it will be how Nintendo plans to deal with storage on the new system. Devs are creating games with SSDs in mind.
Agreed, this is my biggest concern as well. Really hope they manage to deliver snappy/current gen load times..

Gamecube to Wii had backwards compatibility and Wii to Wii U too… So Switch to Switch 2 is totally expected. The majority of Nintendo games use dynamic resolution, so they only have to unlock FPS and done. Wii U to Switch have different CPU architectures, maybe that’s why they skipped backward compatibility on Switch… The question here is if they are going to charge for the upgrade.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

The reason why they did so many remasters and ports on the Switch from the Wii U was because they only sold 13 million Wii Us total. It was a way for them to recoup those development costs and allow people to play games they mimissed.
The architecture of the systems changed too, powerpc to ARM. Gamecube to wii u was powerpc.
funny enough wii u would have been able to play gamecube games if it could read the disks.

S0ULZB0URNE

When has there ever been a fee for BC?
Do you own a PS5?
Yes these companies follow after each other.

A rumor a couple years or so said something along the lines of $1-3 per title. Tried to find it but cannot. Everything is rumors at this point.

spons

Gold Member
The architecture of the systems changed too, powerpc to ARM. Gamecube to wii u was powerpc.
funny enough wii u would have been able to play gamecube games if it could read the disks.
I think there is homebrew for the Wii U that does just that.

Top Bottom