• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Random Internet Forum User claims Switch 2 BC sent to developers

ManaByte

Gold Member
To play some enhanced PS3/PS4 games there is a fee.

The only way to play an enhanced PS3 game on PS5 is to purchase a remaster.

Do you not know the difference between a remaster and backwards compatibility?

There is zero charge to play a PS4 game you already own on the PS5. There is zero charge to play a Xbox/360/Xbox One game you already own on a XSX/XSS. There's never been a charge for backwards compatibility on any console dating all the way back to the Atari 5200.

spons

Gold Member
To play some enhanced PS3/PS4 games there is a fee.
Nintendo has charged $60 in the past to do such.

I own PS5's.
Can't you just put in a PS4 disc and play those games on PS5? Never heard of it costing money, aside from the PS5 upgrades where paid developers worked on a product to make it better, in which case I don't blame them for asking money.

S0ULZB0URNE

The only way to play an enhanced PS3 game on PS5 is to purchase a remaster.

Do you not know the difference between a remaster and backwards compatibility?

There is zero charge to play a PS4 game you already own on the PS5. There is zero charge to play a Xbox/360/Xbox One game you already own on a XSX/XSS. There's never been a charge for backwards compatibility on any console dating all the way back to the Atari 5200.
I just recently paid $10 to play the PS4 enhanced TLOU2.
Nintendo has done BC for every console this century though, starting with the GCN.

Wii was BC with the GCN. Wii U was BC with the Wii. If the Switch successor wasn't BC with the Switch it would've been a disaster for them with the console destined to dethrone the PS2 in sales.

The reason why they did so many remasters and ports on the Switch from the Wii U was because they only sold 13 million Wii Us total. It was a way for them to recoup those development costs and allow people to play games they missed.
Also paid on the Switch to play Wii U games. We don't want to mention the monthly fee Nintendo charges to play many classics.
Can't you just put in a PS4 disc and play those games on PS5? Never heard of it costing money, aside from the PS5 upgrades where paid developers worked on a product to make it better, in which case I don't blame them for asking money.
Not in all games like TLOU 2.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I just recently paid $10 to play the PS4 enhanced TLOU2.

No, you paid $10 for the PS5 port. The 60fps PS4 patch was free.
Also paid on the Switch to play Wii U games. We don't want to mention the monthly fee Nintendo charges to play many classics.

The Switch isn't a Wii U. How the fuck would you put a Wii U disc in the Switch for BC?

ReyBrujo

Not surprising, but good to know.

They'd be fools to restart a new generation after the success (and continuing success) of the Switch.
They would be fool but with MIG they would have the console hacked before even released...

S0ULZB0URNE

No, you paid $10 for the PS5 port. The 60fps PS4 patch was free.

The Switch isn't a Wii U. How the fuck would you put a Wii U disc in the Switch for BC?
You don’t have access to the Wii U games library on the Switch. They make “newer” versions of the Wii U games and sold it at full price. Not the same situation.
"Enhanced" not a remaster like Nintendo does see below.
People did buy digital wii u games so this doesn't fly.

They charged $60 to play wii and wii u games

Woopah

Now they don't have that advantage. Switch already had bad dry spots and was only alleviated by porting old games otherwise it would have been really sparce.
Ports were only a meaningful part of Switch's lineup in 2018 and 2020.

They haven't had a first party dry spell from the start of 2021 onwards. Potentially there will be a dry spell from April 2024 until the launch of Switch 2 if they hold games back for the successor. The next Direct will tell us if that's the case.
Who is he and what is his history?
He's on a similar level to Grubb. Has contacting the industry, but that doesn't mean everything he hears is true or still in date.

Hudo

Is this guy reliable? If so, can someone ask him about Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster/Remake?

cireza

but it will be in terms of handheld generations and not full blown console
So you basically agree with what I said. If this thing is custom built to be 100% BC, it will be a lower gap than if it did not have to bother with BC.
Nintendo will not bother with a complicated BC that might work or not depending on the game, and will require patches and recompiling. This is definitely not how they work. So the new chip will be largely based, and thus limited, by the existing one. That's my guess.

Last edited:
So you basically agree with what I said. If this thing is custom built to be 100% BC, it will be a lower gap than if it did not have to bother with BC.
Nintendo will not bother with a complicated BC that might work or not depending on the game, and will require patches and recompiling. This is definitely not how they work. So the new chip will be largely based, and thus limited, by the existing one. That's my guess.
Switch 2 is going to have the same architecture as the Switch… Having backwards compatibility doesn’t limit the hardware improvement at all… Imagine going from a GTX970 to a RTX2070. They don’t have to put any extra hardware for internal emulation.

cireza

They don’t have to put any extra hardware for internal emulation
All previous BC efforts by Nintendo have been 100% hardware BC, NOT emulation. Emulation is where you start having risks of things not working and need to validate everything. I don't think they will go this route, but who knows, maybe 2024 is the year where Nintendo will take a technical risk ? Still sounds extremely unlikely to me. They want to sell cheap and make a profit day-one.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

No, you paid $10 for the native PS5 version of the game as an upgrade path from the PS4 version, which is BC and received a free 60fps patch a few years ago.
If you played both you would know it was a PS4 game enhanced on PS5.

Lets not confuse a REMAKE like Demon's Souls with a enhanced title which is virtually identical with the original.
Same with(on topic and more guilty) Nintendo charging for wii and wii u games on the switch.

All previous BC efforts by Nintendo have been 100% hardware BC, NOT emulation. Emulation is where you start having risks of things not working and need to validate everything. I don't think they will go this route, but who knows, maybe 2024 is the year where Nintendo will take a technical risk ? Still sounds extremely unlikely to me. They want to sell cheap and make a profit day-one.
They don’t need emulation of any kind on the Switch 2 to run Switch games because is the same architecture but more powerful, is simple.

ReyBrujo

There is zero charge to play a Xbox/360/Xbox One game you already own on a XSX/XSS.
XSS cannot read discs so it's not truly backwards compatible.

They don’t need emulation of any kind on the Switch 2 to run Switch games because is the same architecture but more powerful, is simple.
One can never be sure of that until knowing the Switch 2 chipset.

Last edited:
If you played both you would know it was a PS4 game enhanced on PS5.

Lets not confuse a REMAKE like Demon's Souls with a enhanced title which is virtually identical with the original.
Same with(on topic and more guilty) Nintendo charging for wii and wii u games on the switch.
Nothing is confused and nobody is talking about what constitutes a remake here. There are two versions of TLOU2 available, the PS4 version and a native PS5 version with slightly enhanced visuals and extra modes. The PS4 version that came out in 2020 has been playable on the PS5 with 60fps for free. The PS5 version that came out last month is not. It is a separate version that existing PS4 owners can upgrade for $10, or it is available standalone for $50.

S0ULZB0URNE

Nothing is confused and nobody is talking about what constitutes a remake here. There are two versions of TLOU2 available, the PS4 version and a native PS5 version with slightly enhanced visuals and extra modes. The PS4 version that came out in 2020 has been playable on the PS5 with 60fps for free. The PS5 version that came out last month is not. It is a separate version that existing PS4 owners can upgrade for $10, or it is available standalone for $50.
Multiple versions of enhanced Nintendo games have been released over the years and they weren't $10.
So again on point... Nintendo has a history with doing such things which makes it possible to repeat with the next device.

Filben

BoTW boosted to 60fps.

Happy Hugh Jackman GIF

Ps. I know I know. PC emulation etc.
I'd be glad if the resolution and anti aliasing was better. FXAA these days? gtfo, Nintendo. Edges in Zelda flickers and shimmer constantly like crazy and all those jagged edges...

There was never a chance next-gen platform wouldn’t allow BC of at least most Switch games. Literally for years they’ve been talking about the cleanest generational transition they’ve ever had being their top priority. Using Nintendo Accounts and allowing our Switch games to carry over would certainly be part of that smooth transition. No one’s expecting major new disruptive input gimmicks that would make controlling older games difficult out-of-the-box. Wii & DS-era input gimmicks are safely in the past. They had no staying power and people got bored with them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Multiple versions of enhanced Nintendo games have been released over the years and they weren't $10.
So again on point... Nintendo has a history with doing such things which makes it possible to repeat with the next device.
Nintendo didn’t charge to play Wii games on the Wii U.

Ok, but I'm not here talking to you about Nintendo. So again on my point, I addressed your comment about paying $10 for the PS5 version of the TLOU2, making the distinction between the PS4 version that is playable for free on PS5 and the separate PS5 version released 3 weeks ago that has an $10 upgrade path option for existing owners of the original PS4 version.

Just to buy them. But no, charging for BC of owned games would be new for them. Not including the upgrade fee for Virtual Console purchases from Wii-to-Wii U. But for upgraded versions of games, PlayStation and other publishers do charge a fee. So I don’t think it would be at all unreasonable or controversial for Nintendo to follow suit. Not everything can be free 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They did for other non remakes(enhanced)
Most importantly.. they do with the current gen Nintendo .
Ok, but I'm not here talking to you about Nintendo. So again on my point, I addressed your comment about paying $10 for the PS5 version of the TLOU2, making the distinction between the PS4 version that is playable for free on PS5 and the separate PS5 version released 3 weeks ago that has an $10 upgrade path option for existing owners of the original PS4 version.
No, you didn't and don't waste either of our time.

No, you didn't and don't waste either of our time.
Yes, that's expressly what I did from the very get-go.

No, you paid $10 for the native PS5 version of the game as an upgrade path from the PS4 version, which is BC and received a free 60fps patch a few years ago.

Nobody is forcing you to respond if your time is being wasted. Nobody forced you to spend $10 to play TLOU2 on your PS5 either. Both are you choices.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nintendo has always released enhanced ports in addition to BC. For example, if you get Link's Awakening DX for GBC, that is not a $30 charge to play LA on GBC using BC. You can simply put the original non-DX cartridge in your GBC and play the grey version. There is no additional charge to use the BC feature.

Can I imagine a world where there is a new Switch 2 exclusive version of Zelda TotK, AND the system plays the original using BC? Absolutely!

Almost every gen that Nintendo had the opportunity to do so, they offered physical BC, ie GC to Wii, Wii to Wii U, GB to GBC to GBA to DS. It so happens that Switch uses a different form factor, architecture AND media than Wii U, which also sold like shit, so yeah, this time the closest thing we had to BC was just dumping Switch ports everywhere, but that's still not charging for BC, it's just releasing a game on a different platform.

I agree there isn't enough room in the handheld form factor to rely on a hardware based solution. Even if if it, they aren't going to power an additional chipset. But just because they are the same CPU architecture doesn't mean there can't be a substantial boost in power. Nintendo used an old Tegra (2015) for the Switch in 2017 and launched it at $299, and they haven't done a true spec bump in 7 years. The X1+ was faster but Nintendo undervolted and we saw the benefits of battery life as opposed to meager gains to performance (which most games would not have utilized anyway). Furthermore, Nintendo's plans for this device have been set in stone for a while now. The only real contender for hardware is the rumored T239 which is supposed to be running an A78, which is fully BC with the A57 in the current Switch. So we are talking a new CPU that can be taken full advantage of, with no performance hit due to BC.

On the GPU side, the architecture change from Maxwell to Ampere does change things and needs to be accounted for. Where you are wrong is saying that 100% BC = lower performance increase between Switch and Switch 2 than if they didn't need to bother with BC. Nintendo was going forward with this solution regardless of BC, that is how modern development has trended. They are not sacrificing anything in terms of new console power or capabilities. They are releasing an iterative console (like every other platform) with 7 years of tech improvements, AND it will be powerful enough to support BC.

S0ULZB0URNE

Nintendo has always released enhanced ports in addition to BC. For example, if you get Link's Awakening DX for GBC, that is not a $30 charge to play LA on GBC using BC. You can simply put the original non-DX cartridge in your GBC and play the grey version. There is no additional charge to use the BC feature.

Can I imagine a world where there is a new Switch 2 exclusive version of Zelda TotK, AND the system plays the original using BC? Absolutely!

Almost every gen that Nintendo had the opportunity to do so, they offered physical BC, ie GC to Wii, Wii to Wii U, GB to GBC to GBA to DS. It so happens that Switch uses a different form factor, architecture AND media than Wii U, which also sold like shit, so yeah, this time the closest thing we had to BC was just dumping Switch ports everywhere, but that's still not charging for BC, it's just releasing a game on a different platform.
Ultimately I am down for both options regardless 🤷‍♂️
Yes, that's expressly what I did.

Nobody is forcing you to respond if your time is being wasted. Nobody forced you to spend $10 to play TLOU2 on your PS5 either. Both are you choices.
It isn't though because the original/post point I was making is Nintendo has a (recent)history of such practices and overcharges to boot.. so I am hopeful this business practice doesn't repeat in the next generation.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
There are plenty of Switch games I'd buy to play on Switch 2 with better performance and image quality.

Nintendo could easily re-advertise some of those games too.

It isn't though because the original/post point I was making is Nintendo has a (recent)history of such practices and overcharges to boot.. so I am hopeful this business practice doesn't repeat in the next generation.
I've been talking to you expressively, specifically, and exclusively about TLOU2 and you paying $10 to access the PS5 version when the PS4 version you already own is available free on PS5. Distinguishing the two versions as far as what was free to you and what was an optional paid upgrade and the conditions there-in is a simple statement of fact and the only thing I quoted and addressed to you.

With that said, since you keep bringing up Nintendo when I wasn't referring to them at any point in my prior comments to you, now I will turn my attention to that.

The reason the WIi U versions of games weren't playable on Switch as BC should be fairly self-explanatory. The Wii U account system and the current Nintendo account are two different infrastructures. If you owned a digital copy of for example Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, the Switch account system doesn't know you owned that previously so there is no way to track that purchase and allow you to play the Switch version for free, with a fee, or otherwise. The Wii U also used discs, so physical BC is impossible unless there is some way to shove your Wii U disc into the Switch cart port. Finally, two different CPU architectures.

The Switch, by comparison, will be moving the account system to Switch 2. Nintendo has already confirmed this. So they can track your digital purchases. Nintendo is also sticking with cartridge so one of two things will likely happen: 1) the new cart slot will be compatible with both the Switch 1 and Switch 2 carts or 2) they will have two cart slots as they did for something like the DS lite, which had a GBA slot on the bottom and DS slot on top. Now will they charge you something or just allow you to access freely? It remains to be seen but it has nothing to do with how Nintendo handled the Wii U to Switch transition. They aren't even remotely comparable situations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom