• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* Resident Evil 2 Remake details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Cvxfreak on twitter said some of the rumors will be true and some not. I'm willing to bet that's one that isn't accurate. Maybe it was a goal they couldn't keep. 4k assets? Yes, but keeping 60fps? I don't think that will be happening. Since there's no mention of VR I assume they won't NEED to hit 60fps either so it might be taking the 30fps Uncharted approach to promote better visual fidelity.
Yeah...the Pro version will either be 4K/30fps or Dynamic 4K/60fps

Re-posting for this page

When I saw stylized OTS this is what I hope for. I don't want to get my hopes up but it's the perfect compromise between fixed/ots

Since when did cvxfreak become an insider? Anyone could say the same thing.
He’s been interviewing all the Capcom devs for the better part of a year for a RE book including those who are involved with the remake. So not the same as any old fan

dolabla

I just hope it's at E3. If/when it happens to show up, I don't know if I will be able to contain myself finally seeing it for the first time.

I just hope it's at E3. If/when it happens to show up, I don't know if I will be able to contain myself finally seeing it for the first time.
It should be at E3 so get prepped to be excited. Everything adds up to E3, it’d be weird to skip such an event.

dolabla

It should be at E3 so get prepped to be excited. Everything adds up to E3, it’d be weird to skip such an event.

It's been awhile since we've heard anything. Eventually it has to come. I seem to think it will be there, but you just never know. The first time seeing is just going to be so glorious.

It's been awhile since we've heard anything. Eventually it has to come. I seem to think it will be there, but you just never know. The first time seeing is just going to be so glorious.
I'm sure it'll be there. Their Financial year summary had two major titles that they want to compete with the western market and no title is better for that than Resident Evil.

Moses85

Cvxfreak on twitter said some of the rumors will be true and some not. I'm willing to bet that's one that isn't accurate. Maybe it was a goal they couldn't keep. 4k assets? Yes, but keeping 60fps? I don't think that will be happening. Since there's no mention of VR I assume they won't NEED to hit 60fps either so it might be taking the 30fps Uncharted approach to promote better visual fidelity.

Really hoping for a camera style similar to RE3.5

Its a shame, this version of RE4 was canceled. Everything of this Demo was amazing.

xwez

Banned
Until Dawn nailed tank controls and fixed camera angles and showed that they still work in modern gaming. It was a launch title with really good graphics in some places, and I can only Imagine what a game that is released now [years into this console generation] would look like.

onlyoneno1

Claire's costume upgrade seems a way to modernize the look of the game and its fine for me. I believe the classic costume will be an unlockable like in the remake of the first Resident Evil. I do love the increased length of the campaign though, I still remember the map of the RCPD and it'll be interesting to see how they upgrade it and hoe they update the puzzles.

Doubt the police department will be much bigger but we'll probably get to see a lot more of Raccoon City.
Any additions are gravy to me, could have been a 1 for 1 Remake and I would have been stoked. This is my most anticipated game. There’s so much you can do with RE2. Imagine Mr.X with Jack baker’s AI for example

Capcom are just doing this to make another quick buck. They know that fans love 2 pretty much the most. Fanboys kissed their ass forever about this. This doesn't sound like a faithful remake like 1 was. OK, so this is all just hearsay at this point. We've seen zero about the game. But it's sad how Naughty Dog and other companies out there have kept their fans in the loop for the past couple of years, but yet Capcom have rarely updated their fans about anything since 2015.

And you're right about the RE Engine. Just how many other classic characters are going to age 30 years back in time, to the point where they all will look ridiculous? Chris just looks and sounds stupid now. But that has been talked about to death, so I'll say no more on that issue. And Capcom are going to keep churning out side story games that go nowhere. Like with Revelations 2: I liked the story in that game. Over 3 years later and I still wonder if Capcom will actually follow-up on that soon. People say, yeah, they will. Because Alex Wesker is some super villain now and they wouldn't just ignore all of that. But Capcom have been doing this for years. Leaving bunches of games and movies open-ended, but then when a sequel gets made, it has a different plot altogether. They're just lost. It's actually kind of annoying. It's like they have different people working on all this media, and it is a complete mess.

Some guy I know on YouTube even suggested Capcom should just be doing side story games with different styles for the fanboys and leaving the "real" sequels up to the true fans, who are passionate and dedicated to the actual story and the characters. Whoever thought Umbrella Corps and trash like that sounded good on paper needs to be blown up. Seriously! If people don't put their foot down now, Capcom will continue to take the easy route and produce half-ass BS games that are an insult to the franchise. They think that if the name RE is on the case, people will go out and purchase it no matter what, because it's "still a part of the series." But no, they're not even connected to the real story half of the time, so they don't count at all. Capcom just do that to hook people in and people keep falling for this crap year after year, so I call them enablers. Because they allow Capcom to do whatever pleases them. And no, Capcom don't listen to their fans. Even the guy who directed the original Resident Evil 2 openly trolls fans with fake images and even blocks pests. Granted, nuisance tweets are unpleasant and he isn't even at Capcom now. But I can half see why. However, fans are just stating how they feel. It's not right to do that to the consumers who made Capcom all this money and without the fans, these corporations would sink faster than the S.S. Titanic did. The way the true fans are treated is just unacceptable.

Breakage

So I heard this REmake will feature an over-the-shoulder style camera. It seems they just can't break free from RE4.

So I heard this REmake will feature an over-the-shoulder style camera. It seems they just can't break free from RE4.
I imagine they wanted to make this bigger than a niche title. It's a stylized OTS I heard so maybe it'll have some characteristics of the old games angles. Who knows....

Geki-D

Banned
This "rumour" is a whole load of nothing. It's for the most part stuff nearly anyone can just assume is going to be in the game and they'd be right.

Hey, here are more leaks I guess that just fell right off the top of my head and are pretty much a given:
-The game will feature zombies, but they'll be faster and more resilient to make up for the more precise gun play
-Racoon City and other locations will be familiar, yet different at the same time
-Cutscenes will now all be in-engine, no more fully prerendered fmvs.
-Robert Kendo will no longer call Claire "Girly", also the voice acting in general will be much better.

This "rumour" is a whole load of nothing. It's for the most part stuff nearly anyone can just assume is going to be in the game and they'd be right.

Hey, here are more leaks I guess that just fell right off the top of my head and are pretty much a given:
-The game will feature zombies, but they'll be faster and more resilient to make up for the more precise gun play
-Racoon City and other locations will be familiar, yet different at the same time
-Cutscenes will now all be in-engine, no more fully prerendered fmvs.
-Robert Kendo will no longer call Claire "Girly", also the voice acting in general will be much better.
Except it was backed up by two trust worthy insiders on resetera.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd love to see some Crimson Heads walking around in this new engine. Fast, deadly, and randomly placed around the levels.

I actually did a search and it seems like fans want them in the RE2 remake as well.

Mr Hyde

I honestly can't wait for the reveal of this game. Resident Evil 2 is by far one of the best game of its generation and the best RE of the classic formula. The whole game is crammed with scenes that screams "REMAKE ME!!" louder than a zombies dying growl. I get the goosebumbs thinking about Mr X punching through walls and chasing me down like a scared rabbit in the narrow hallways of Raccoon City Police Department.

I have zero issues with over the shoulder-perspective and modernized controls since fixed camera angles and tank controls are an ancient relic that belongs in the 90s. I played the first remake of Resident Evil with modern controls and it played great with fluid movement, far superior to the sluggish mess that comes with the tank. As long as they retain the well-designed horror elements and spooky atmosphere, the classic enemies and bosses, the excellent music, as well as the two part campaign, this game should be set to become a modern horror classic, just as its predecessor.

OrionNebula

I'm so glad they aren't doing 3. I wouldn't want to see my favourite RE get ruined in this way.

Saw a rumour about 2-3 months ago on yt from a guy with ‘’source’’ saying they are remaking both and they will be released back to back 1 yr like they did with the old ones in 1998/99

Doubt it’s true, but they probably could since 2&3 are somewhat loosely ‘’connected’’ timewise and locationwise

Toe-Knee

Saw a rumour about 2-3 months ago on yt from a guy with ‘’source’’ saying they are remaking both and they will be released back to back 1 yr like they did with the old ones in 1998/99

Doubt it’s true, but they probably could since 2&3 are somewhat loosely ‘’connected’’ timewise and locationwise

It would make sense with 2 happening in the middle of 3.

OrionNebula

It would make sense with 2 happening in the middle of 3.

Yeah, but it’s kind of polarized.
On 1 hand Capcom said they want shorter dev cycles (which was not the case with RE7 and REmake 2 (since haven’t heard anything tangible or saw anything since ‘’We Do It’’)), so we can’t really assume that they have something up their sleeve, but on a dev level/business level it would totally make sense to do both at the same time, now... so I guess we’ll have to wait and see, but I’m not betting my last shirt on it

WaterAstro

I think if they want to show off the graphics, they have to go third person or first person. It would be a waste for static cameras. Maybe they can have both camera and control types. Would be interesting.

Fixed Cameras shows off the graphics even better imo. You can focus on what they want you to see so they can put all the attention to making the shots look nice. Plus the camera is usually zoomed far out so you don't notice bad textures as much.

As far as the RE3 Remake comments. I highly doubt it'd come a year later, they probably want to see how this does. I'm sure if it does well they will eventually get to it. It just makes sense to finish off the original trilogy in remake fashion.

Maybe they'll just have an additional game mode that will be (close to) 100% true to the original game.

While the base game will be much larger and gets you to explore most of Raccoon City.

DLCs will be "Nemesis" starring Jill Valentine and an Extreme Battle-inspired campaign for Chris Redfield.

Last edited:
As much as I want this game to follow the REmake formula to a tee, at this point I’m pretty amped for it either way.

So long as its focus is on survival horror and it feels similar to RE2 in tone, that’s the main thing for me. Hyped for E3!

Geki-D

Banned
Except it was backed up by two trust worthy insiders on resetera.
And? My point isn't that this could be false, my point is that the leaks are so vague and empty, real or not it's stuff you'd generally expect for an upcoming RE2 remake and guess work would get you the same results.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Oh the Nemesis will be back one day, too iconic to be left to the 90s
If they beef up the scenario with Mr. X in the RE2 Remake, I am not sure what the purpose of a possible RE3 Remake would be. I mean, for the original RE3 what they did was basically just expanding the idea of Mr. X and then making a game out of it. A beefed up scenario B in the RE2 Remake would therefore make a possible RE3 Remake pointless - assuming they don't revamp if significantly of course.

Toe-Knee

If they beef up the scenario with Mr. X in the RE2 Remake, I am not sure what the purpose of a possible RE3 Remake would be. I mean, for the original RE3 what they did was basically just expanding the idea of Mr. X and then making a game out of it. A beefed up scenario B in the RE2 Remake would therefore make a possible RE3 Remake pointless - assuming they don't revamp if significantly of course.

But RE3 had a better story and more detailed environments.

Nemesis could also move between areas where as Mr X couldn't get through most doors.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Nemesis could also move between areas where as Mr X couldn't get through most doors.
Yes, that was because they expanded on the idea of Mr.X in RE3. But we're in 2018 now. There is no reason why Capcom couldn't make Mr.X case you through multiple room in the RE2 Remake. Except they hold the idea back on purpose so they can make a RE3 remake. I actually hope and exepect them to go all in on one of the scenarios/campaigns in RE2 and make it all about Mr.X chasing you around. That would actually be amazing. Imagine the RE2 Remake with 2 scenarios/campaigns with their own vibe to it. In one you have the classic riddle-having horror scenario and in the other it's a non-stop chase.

Toe-Knee

Yes, that was because they expanded on the idea of Mr.X in RE3. But we're in 2018 now. There is no reason why Capcom couldn't make Mr.X case you through multiple room in the RE2 Remake. Except they hold the idea back on purpose so they can make a RE3 remake. I actually hope and exepect them to go all in on one of the scenarios/campaigns in RE2 and make it all about Mr.X chasing you around. That would actually be amazing. Imagine the RE2 Remake with 2 scenarios/campaigns with their own vibe to it. In one you have the classic riddle-having horror scenario and in the other it's a non-stop chase.

I would like to never feel safe.

I think personally though I just didn't like the characters in 2. Probably because I played 2 after 3.

Aggelos

Given the fact that we're in 2018, I can expect Mr. X to behave like Jack Baker (and be sth more than that). I can quite readily expect him to chase you in the entire Police Station and all the other infrastructures, without giving up so spiritlessly
(by opening doors and breaking through walls if needed).

But, I certainly do expect him to be more. Mr. X and Nemesis have been described in Japanese as 追跡者 (tsuisekisha ; = a pursuer, a chaser).
So how does Mr X become a terrifying B.O.W. that relentlessly hunts you down and tracks you down?

1) By anticipating your next move
2) By setting traps

Let me elaborate on those. How is he going to anticipate your next move (and of course make it appear as if he came out nowhere). The game should take into account the key items that you have in your inventory, in any given moment. You know, in Biohazard games you need key items to solve puzzles and make progress. It's been a hallmark of the series.
Judging by the key items that you have in your inventory, the game might anticipate what kind of puzzles you may solve next. And then randomize the appearance of Mr X.
This is a concept, not in factnovel, the harkens back to Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 1 for PS1. Psycho Mantis would read your memory card trying to find save-slots of other Konami games to show off his psychic abilities and surprise the player.

What about the idea of setting traps and lying in wait? The players, as they play through Biohazard 2 (I mean the old 1998 game), place various key items in the inventory, and then figure out a route to reach the relevant room so as to solve the pertaining puzzle.
Mr. X could take the players by surprise, by blocking/disrupting the route. He might actually destroy the door, the jambs, the lintel and the walls around it, making the room inaccessible and hence forcing the players to contemplate another route. He might in fact destroy various doors forcing the player to a bottleneck (hence the trap) of fighting Mr X himself. Once the player puts him down, he may unveil an item that would help the player overcome all this disruption that was caused.

In any case, I should a expect Mr X to be a beefed up version of Jack Baker, when it comes to behaviour.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Given the fact that we're in 2018, I can expect Mr. X to behave like Jack Baker (and be sth more than that). I can quite readily expect him to chase you in the entire Police Station and all the other infrastructures, without giving up so spiritlessly
(by opening doors and breaking through walls if needed).

But, I certainly do expect him to be more. Mr. X and Nemesis have been described in Japanese as 追跡者 (tsuisekisha ; = a pursuer, a chaser).
So how does Mr X become a terrifying B.O.W. that relentlessly hunts you down and tracks you down?

1) By anticipating your next move
2) By setting traps

Let me elaborate on those. How is he going to anticipate your next move (and of course make it appear as if he came out nowhere). The game should take into account the key items that you have in your inventory, in any given moment. You know, in Biohazard games you need key items to solve puzzles and make progress. It's been a hallmark of the series.
Judging by the key items that you have in your inventory, the game might anticipate what kind of puzzles you may solve next. And then randomize the appearance of Mr X.
This is a concept, not in factnovel, the harkens back to Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 1 for PS1. Psycho Mantis would read your memory card trying to find save-slots of other Konami games to show off his psychic abilities and surprise the player.

What about the idea of setting traps and lying in wait? The players, as they play through Biohazard 2 (I mean the old 1998 game), place various key items in the inventory, and then figure out a route to reach the relevant room so as to solve the pertaining puzzle.
Mr. X could take the players by surprise, by blocking/disrupting the route. He might actually destroy the door, the jambs, the lintel and the walls around it, making the room inaccessible and hence forcing the players to contemplate another route. He might in fact destroy various doors forcing the player to a bottleneck (hence the trap) of fighting Mr X himself. Once the player puts him down, he may unveil an item that would help the player overcome all this disruption that was caused.

In any case, I should a expect Mr X to be a beefed up version of Jack Baker, when it comes to behaviour.

I would be down for that. Also if they integrate some form of camera /mix interactivity where enemies can react to ancient noise /movement.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
Patiently waiting for this news to pop up at E3. I'll take another January release date. Nothing about this sounds bad. Sure I'd like my OG camera angles but I'll take OTS style.

God Enel

Its a shame, this version of RE4 was canceled. Everything of this Demo was amazing.

Fucking agree. Always when I stumble across this video (like now for example) I always watch it and think this is fucking awesome. Plz release RE 3.5

Fucking agree. Always when I stumble across this video (like now for example) I always watch it and think this is fucking awesome. Plz release RE 3.5
Easily the coolest scrapped RE project.

EDIT:

Well I guess this confirms E3 for real now. A *NEW* Leon jacket is on sale on the capcom store and becomes available sometime LATE Oct of this year. Which might mean a 2018 release for the game

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00230618

Very interesting detail is that it says Detective on it. So they finally giving Leon an actual position now...wonder if that plays into the gameplay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom