• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Looking To Purchase Metal Gear/Silent Hill/Castlevania Properties From Konami, Remakes To Follow Suit

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would be insane if they got the rights and also acquired Kojima studios, effectively making Kojima = Konami for everything anyone cares about.

Sounds a bit too far fetched, though.

Ar¢tos

If they are selling, better Sony than THQ! At least with Sony we can get high value AAA games.
THQ is probably already sniffing around Konami.
Edit : I forgot, they are Embracer now...

Last edited:

Entroyp

No way that’s going to happen. But it would be awesome to have those IPs under Sony’s first party studios.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remakes? Why?

Also, if you revive based Goemon I promise to buy the PS5 day one Sony.
Remakes Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 would be welcome
And it wouldn't hurt to get a proper remake of MGS1 without the matrix stuff
Despite waiting a break from MGS, I'm sure Kojima would love get his IP back

Last edited:

slade

Sony licensed the Game rights of Spiderman games to Activision for years while still owning the IP so It could be Possible.

Marvel licensed those rights to Activision, not Sony. Marvel took those rights away from Activision and gave them to Sony for Spiderman PS4.

Anyway, I'd be down for 3d Castlevania. Give it to Platinum or some secondary team at Santa Monica studios.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, I don't see where they could go otherwise...

Another Raiden game would be cool too.

wolywood

I heard Sony plans to announce this right after they finalize their purchase of Take 2/Rockstar, which is definitely absolutely positively still happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Marvel licensed those rights to Activision, not Sony. Marvel took those rights away from Activision and gave them to Sony for Spiderman PS4.

Anyway, I'd be down for 3d Castlevania. Give it to Platinum or some secondary team at Santa Monica studios.

Your right I got that all wrong I assumed Soy had the Game rights along with the movie.

But, I think my overall point (even if I used a bad example) probably still stands that Konami could retain the overall IP but license the IP Sony to make some Games

Pidull

Would be massive if true, but I have to imagine the purchase price being in excess of $1 billion for all three of those properties.

Minecraft was $2 billion when Microsoft bought the IP, and had sold about 30 million copies at the time of purchase. Metal Gear has sold over 50 million copies, Castlevania over 20 million, and Silent Hill over 9 million. The spread of the sales over decades compared to the lightning in a bottle that was Minecraft may push the price down a bit by comparison, but yeah, easily $1 billion.

If true, I hope Sony only uses Kojima as a consultant for the Metal Gear series, Kojima was clearly tired of working on the series by the time he departed. Finishing off MGSV would be great for gamers though.

This is a really smart decision as it fits in with Sony's films / series and game strategy.

Also the MGS series is strongly attached to PlayStation.

Last edited:

I don't oppose remakes at all, I just don't like it being the central idea around getting these IPs. It's an entirely different company getting a hold of the games, I want them to do something fresh.

Aion002

I hope so! Even if not Sony, if MS, Nintendo... heck, or even EA, someone, please, get those IP's!... with Konami they are just being forgotten.

Last edited:

Thabass

lol source: 4chan

can we please stop making threads based on 4chan rumors?

I was going to make a thread about this too, but ultimately didn't because it was a 4chan rumor.

Though, I think rumors have a place on forums at least. If IGN posted this shit, I'd be laughing at them.

ZywyPL

Banned
First Remaster Station 4, now Remake Station 5, makes sense. But I'd love to play complete MGS saga remade (in Decima?) exclusively for PS5. So I hope at least this one succeeds.

xrnzaaas

Remaking MGS1 would probably be a great business decision from Sony.

Silent Hill 1 would also be great, however making a high(er) budget horror game is always risky business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom