• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Looking To Purchase Metal Gear/Silent Hill/Castlevania Properties From Konami, Remakes To Follow Suit

People are so thirsty for PS5 news

no surprise

most people in newer generations are emotionally connected to the brand playstation at least in USA

The-Most-Beloved-Brands-v2-2.jpg

this is the ranking for millennials

2020-03-06_17-11-07.jpg

Last edited:
Wait when did I become Gen X?

I had the same question lol

it seems there is not an exact date for when the millennial generation starts(its a vague "early 80's") so they apparently took a range more less based on generations, I thinks is better to read it in terms of age groups

Gargus

Banned
Give me the rumor from a credible source with at least a little bit of reasoning as to why it could be true then I'll give a shit. Internet rumors are a dime a dozen.

Would be awesome if it were true, but its not.

AmuroChan

No way the acquisition rumor is true. They paid $223m for Insomniac, and Sony already owns the Spider Man and Ratchet IPs. How much would they have to pay to get the Castlevania, Silent Hill, AND Metal Gear IPs? Sony's been doing much better financially in recent years, but they're not Microsoft when it comes to having infinite money to spend on acquisitions. With that said, them working with Konami on new Silent Hill and Metal Gear games is much more plausible to me. Konami doesn't want to develop AAA games internally anymore. Sony would be happy to fund those games in exchange for exclusivity to boost the PS5's portfolio. Konami gets a cut of the profit without incurring any risks. Win-win for both sides.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Let's say this rumor is true. What happens next?

Allow BluePoint to take one of the IPs and make a new game. Maybe they are making the new MGS remake.

No way the acquisition rumor is true. They paid $223m for Insomniac, and Sony already owns the Spider Man and Ratchet IPs. How much would they have to pay to get the Castlevania, Silent Hill, AND Metal Gear IPs? Sony's been doing much better financially in recent years, but they're not Microsoft when it comes to having infinite money to spend on acquisitions. With that said, them working with Konami on new Silent Hill and Metal Gear games is much more plausible to me. Konami doesn't want to develop AAA games internally anymore. Sony would be happy to fund those games in exchange for exclusivity to boost the PS5's portfolio. Konami gets a cut of the profit without incurring any risks. Win-win for both sides.

Sony has WAAAAY more money than you realize.

AmuroChan

Sony has WAAAAY more money than you realize.

Don't worry, I know. I'm a Sony shareholder. As I said, they are doing much better financially in recent years, but they're not anywhere on the level of a Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. All those are near trillion dollar companies. Sony's market cap is in the $60B range, far lower than Microsoft. Sony has money, but they don't have an unlimited acquisition budget. That's my point. The IPs of Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania would almost certainly be valued at over $1B. That's pocket change for someone like Microsoft, which has $500B just sitting in cash, but for Sony that's a much more significant investment.

Varteras

Gold Member
Don't worry, I know. I'm a Sony shareholder. As I said, they are doing much better financially in recent years, but they're not anywhere on the level of a Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. All those are near trillion dollar companies. Sony's market cap is in the $60B range, far lower than Microsoft. Sony has money, but they don't have an unlimited acquisition budget. That's my point. The IPs of Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania would almost certainly be valued at over $1B. That's pocket change for someone like Microsoft, which has $500B just sitting in cash, but for Sony that's a much more significant investment.

That acquisition price seems a bit steep. Now I personally don't believe the rumors of IP acquisition but I'm having a hard time swallowing the idea that the three of them would be over $1 billion to acquire. Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm for over $4 billion each. Silent Hill and Castlevania have waned hard in recent years. Metal Gear would certainly be worth more but that the three of them combined would be worth an asking price even 25% of what Marvel or Star Wars were bought for seems far fetched. Maybe you have better insight into that than I do. I'm not a shareholder of anything :messenger_squinting_tongue:

EDMIX

Most rumors I see as "unlikely", like the whole Zenimax one, but this one sounds very likely.

Its not all of Konami like its teams, simply key IP. Its they way I thought they might do some buyout as many of those key staff are no longer at Konami to really buy 100% of them as in the teams or anything, those that want to work for Sony likely will have a opening for some.

So if Sony Japan, Kojima Productions etc just start doing some of those IP, its a pretty cost effective thing if true and I'd argue more likely then Zenimax or something.

AmuroChan

That acquisition price seems a bit steep. Now I personally don't believe the rumors of IP acquisition but I'm having a hard time swallowing the idea that the three of them would be over $1 billion to acquire. Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm for over $4 billion each. Silent Hill and Castlevania have waned hard in recent years. Metal Gear would certainly be worth more but that the three of them combined would be worth an asking price even 25% of what Marvel or Star Wars were bought for seems far fetched. Maybe you have better insight into that than I do. I'm not a shareholder of anything :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I get the skepticism, but there are a bunch of factors you have to consider when looking at an acquisition. Let's look at SW for example. SW was owned by one person, George Lucas. At the time of the sale there were no movies in the works. Revenge of the Sith was already 7 years old at that point. Lucas was motivated to sell and the deal wouldn't need the approval of a bunch of investors. He could sell it for whatever price he wanted, and he decided to sell it for a bargain price of $4B to Disney, with a handshake agreement that his friend Kathleen Kennedy would run Lucasfilm. Marvel, on the other hand, was a company that wasn't doing well in 2009, when Disney acquired them. In a span of 10 years in the late 90's and early 2000's, they went through bankruptcy and multiple acquisitions/mergers and lawsuits. It was a terribly run company that incurred a lot of debt. Disney bought them and gave the a second life. And the rest is history.

Fast forward to now. Konami isn't necessarily in dire state to have to sell off their most valuable IPs. They may not be making AAA games with those IPs anymore, but they leverage those iPs in other ways, such as mobile games, TV/movies, and pachinko machines. And so if Sony wants to acquire those IPs, they'd have to pay a premium because otherwise there's not enough incentive for the Konami shareholders to approve the deal. Market value is not going to be enough to pry away those IPs when Konami isn't desperate to sell.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If the remake looks as good as the Final Fantasy 7 or Resident Evil 2/3 remakes, I say bring them on

Agreed.

I'd also add that remakes of series soooooooo old like the very first Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are worthy remakes. In terms of the elements in the game, they would literally be NEW GAMES!

So anyone trying to claim a FOX engine 3D complete remake of this is the same game, needs their heads examined.

1299667.jpg

So I don't see it as me getting anything old ie "not new" or the same as I don't recall playing this game in 3D On the fox engine to really argue its something not new. So I'm 100% open to remakes of those series.

Eanox

castlevania and silent hill has a good chance. With all this rumor. Metal gear not so much.
But a man can dream. Sony’s wallet damn possibilities.

Matsuchezz

I really love MGS games, but I really wanted Kojima to stay away from the franchise and create something else, and he did. I would like him to direct Silent Hills alongside Guillermo del Toro or go on and create something else, I wish Kojima never come back to MGS at all. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
All of the remakes I would love to see next generation

Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Legend of Dragoon
Castlevania
Resistance 3
Syphon Filter

EDMIX

castlevania and silent hill has a good chance. With all this rumor. Metal gear not so much.
But a man can dream. Sony’s wallet damn possibilities.

I don't know, I'd say Metal Gear is more likely then the rest as thats one of the biggest IP Konami even have.

Batiman

Banned
I only care about MGS. If Sony got the IP it would be awesome if they made MGS3 and pretend the rest doesn’t exist. Just continue from after 2 and make the gameplay more like the first 3. Or like MGSV without the open world. Like a full and based on levels like ground zeroes

Last edited:

hxcmuziq

Banned
Didn't see anyone mention this... If Sony buys Silent Hill doesn't that put PT back on the table? Also, am I the only person that's always wanted a 3rd person version of Contra to compete with Gears? I think Sony needs to make that happen.

EDMIX

I only care about MGS. If Sony got the IP it would be awesome if they made MGS3 and pretend the rest doesn’t exist. Just continue from after 2 and make the gameplay more like the first 3.

Too funny! I think we all have that one series were we feel "ok...this 1 in the series never happened doe". It would be a funny thread. For me I don't know if I can say that with any MGS as even the ones that had a meh story I still liked enough to want it to be seen as part of the universe.

Like the story in MGSV was just horrid, but you can easily start Metal Gear 1 remake and Metal Gear 2 remake right after and I'd be ok with it.

Now FFX-2 on the other hand lol

I might make a thread on it, call it "What game in a series would you Bird Box". If I make the thread, I'll like it...maybe.

edit. Was too fun of an idea not to do.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I know we kinda had Silent Hills but I'm in wonder what a Silent Hill game would look like on current gen let alone Next-Gen.
I mean outside the PT Demo and the second trailer we haven't really seen a Silent Hill with the budget that the originals had and they was fantastic looking games.
Just the thought of Silent Hill running on the Decima Engine has me excited

I guess this give you an idea

Last edited:

Closer

A new, good, Castlevania and a new Silent Hill game would make me buy a Sony console again. Act fast Sony.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Too funny! I think we all have that one series were we feel "ok...this 1 in the series never happened doe". It would be a funny thread. For me I don't know if I can say that with any MGS as even the ones that had a meh story I still liked enough to want it to be seen as part of the universe.

Like the story in MGSV was just horrid, but you can easily start Metal Gear 1 remake and Metal Gear 2 remake right after and I'd be ok with it.

Now FFX-2 on the other hand lol

I might make a thread on it, call it "What game in a series would you Bird Box". If I make the thread, I'll like it...maybe.

edit. Was too fun of an idea not to do.

Ya you’re right. I just feel the series just got too messy as it went on and would be hard to continue from where it’s at now.

I get the skepticism, but there are a bunch of factors you have to consider when looking at an acquisition. Let's look at SW for example. SW was owned by one person, George Lucas. At the time of the sale there were no movies in the works. Revenge of the Sith was already 7 years old at that point. Lucas was motivated to sell and the deal wouldn't need the approval of a bunch of investors. He could sell it for whatever price he wanted, and he decided to sell it for a bargain price of $4B to Disney, with a handshake agreement that his friend Kathleen Kennedy would run Lucasfilm. Marvel, on the other hand, was a company that wasn't doing well in 2009, when Disney acquired them. In a span of 10 years in the late 90's and early 2000's, they went through bankruptcy and multiple acquisitions/mergers and lawsuits. It was a terribly run company that incurred a lot of debt. Disney bought them and gave the a second life. And the rest is history.

Fast forward to now. Konami isn't necessarily in dire state to have to sell off their most valuable IPs. They may not be making AAA games with those IPs anymore, but they leverage those iPs in other ways, such as mobile games, TV/movies, and pachinko machines. And so if Sony wants to acquire those IPs, they'd have to pay a premium because otherwise there's not enough incentive for the Konami shareholders to approve the deal. Market value is not going to be enough to pry away those IPs when Konami isn't desperate to sell.
Also, the thing to keep in mind is usually with IP purchasing agreements comes the agreement to purchase publishing rights on previous titles. This alone in terms of digitals sales and remastered possibilities offers a lot of potential for recouping a $1b investment.

EDMIX

Ya you’re right. I just feel the series just got too messy as it went on and would be hard to continue from where it’s at now.

True. From MGSV they got do the remakes MG1 and 2 in Fox Engine and fix a whole bunch of junk with the story to make it match Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 , 3 etc.

MGSVI (ie After 4) Could be Sunny all grown up to be an elite solider or still a child doing child solider stuff like Raiden did.

Raiden could be older and in the background giving briefings with Otacon. Snake.....well Snake should be dead, make em die some hero saving a cat from metal gear or something lol

They can even just make a remaster, directors cut of MGSIV and just say Snake kills himself at the end and leave it at that or something, or let him be the old person helping Raiden and Sunny and his combat days are done and he is just at their command helping out over the codec.

The series has lots of places it can go in terms of dat Fan Fiction lol

Listen, we can do it...we can MAKE IT HAPPEN!

f50081f83caa86947881e6661c55271b.jpg

tumblr_inline_p8bto18dDp1t06sk0_540.jpg

Last edited:
I hope so! Even if not Sony, if MS, Nintendo... heck, or even EA, someone, please, get those IP's!... with Konami they are just being forgotten.
Well you have terrible ideas. I want Castlevania in the right hands, not EA making a sequel with holy water lootboxes or Naughty Dog making Simon Belmont an ugly lesbian.

EDMIX

Well you have terrible ideas. I want Castlevania in the right hands, not EA making a sequel with holy water lootboxes or Naughty Dog making Simon Belmont an ugly lesbian.

Well you sound like you'd be mad about where ever it goes with that attitude.

"EA making a sequel with holy water lootboxes" ? Star Wars Fallen Order doesn't have any loot boxes so what makes you think if EA bought the IP they'd do that? Its really hard to argue they'd do this or that, when their latest stance on single player games is to not have it at all.

So if you are just going to assume and ignore the latest examples and look at faces to argue some "agenda", its easier to just say stop gaming all together. I don't think the IP can go to any publisher or team without criticism based on what you are stating.

Goes to MS "oh great, now its a F2P with lootboxes"
Goes to Activision "oh great, now its a F2P with lootboxes"
Goes to Ubisoft "oh great, now its open world with lootboxes"
Goes to Nintendo "now its kiddle and rated E"
Goes to Sega "now its never coming to America"
Goes to CDPR "oh now it has SJW stuff in it"
Goes to Remedy "oh now it has SJW stuff in it.....more"

I mean, you can go on and on with this tbh. Who is the "right hands" to you that has done nothing wrong....like ever? I think every publisher in gaming right now can fit some argument for negativity. Relax on the cancel culture stuff, using that logic no one can make any game ever.

Well you sound like you'd be mad about where ever it goes with that attitude.

"EA making a sequel with holy water lootboxes" ? Star Wars Fallen Order doesn't have any loot boxes so what makes you think if EA bought the IP they'd do that? Its really hard to argue they'd do this or that, when their latest stance on single player games is to not have it at all.

So if you are just going to assume and ignore the latest examples and look at faces to argue some "agenda", its easier to just say stop gaming all together. I don't think the IP can go to any publisher or team without criticism based on what you are stating.

Goes to MS "oh great, now its a F2P with lootboxes"
Goes to Activision "oh great, now its a F2P with lootboxes"
Goes to Ubisoft "oh great, now its open world with lootboxes"
Goes to Nintendo "now its kiddle and rated E"
Goes to Sega "now its never coming to America"
Goes to CDPR "oh now it has SJW stuff in it"
Goes to Remedy "oh now it has SJW stuff in it.....more"

I mean, you can go on and on with this tbh. Who is the "right hands" to you that has done nothing wrong....like ever? I think every publisher in gaming right now can fit some argument for negativity. Relax on the cancel culture stuff, using that logic no one can make any game ever.
I wrote earlier in the topic either Sega or Capcom, the rest should keep their hands off. Sony has enough of its own properties either way, also they are allowed to make new IPs (and they make them all the time) why take and break (probably) old beloved franchises.

Also, when has buying out studios and IPs became a positive thing? Why MUST one game have sequel no. 700? And why do Sony fans feel like Sony should own all good IPs ever (not that M$ or Nintendo fans are much better).

EDMIX

I wrote earlier in the topic either Sega or Capcom

Yea and someone could have many reason why that shouldn't happen. Capcom almost went out of business and have their own issues to deal with while they bounce back, as in what happened with SFV? Where is Deep Down, but hand them other IP when they have issues putting out their own? Sega supports niche and established IP and won't go out to do much risk. What happens when Sega starts to censor Silent Hill and Metal Gear like you see from Yakuza and Persona? So anyone can throw out a whole bunch of excuses man. You see just how silly it can get if you are looking for this perfect company with zero faults?

So could someone not say "not with Sega censoring it" or "not with Capcom rushing it like SFV and having all that dlc" or "not with Capcom having the game go into development hell like Deep Down" etc. You can't cry cancel culture and then pretend it can't suddenly apply to the very publishers you just recommend. THAT is why this should always accepted that if someone wants to buy them, be respectful enough to give the benefit of the doubt with a publisher if they've shown they are willing and can do it.

vs "oh lootboxes" or "ugly lesbian".

Did you forget about this?

or this?

Do you see why looking for that perfect publisher doesn't really work with this whole cancel culture thing? Can that same argument not be made about Sega or Capcom? So maybe lets relax with all that please. (Just so you understand, I'm not saying I have any issue with Sega or Capcom, simply that such cancel culture junk can fit ANY FUCKING PUBLISHER IN GAMING within seconds of a google search)

Sony has enough of its own properties

So do Sega and Capcom...your point?

also they are allowed to make new IPs

They are, you are correct, good thing this isn't an either or.... they can do both.

Also, when has buying out studios and IPs became a positive thing?

When the current company that owns those IPs could care less about actually making games anymore that are good.

And why do Sony fans feel like Sony should own all good IPs ever

Off topic and don't generalize. The gaming community with those IPs seems to more so feel better about Sony having them vs MS or Nintendo. Though MS is trying more with single player, Sony has the history of actually supporting them vs promising to one day, maybe support them more. Nintendo also doesn't have a history of making many M rated games in house to really entertain that. So I've yet to read anyone state anything silly like "Sony should own all good IPs ever".

You stated that to argue, no one here stated that.

The rumor is about Sony, Kojima and Konami.

Thus.....Sony as a publisher is who is being talked about on this thread.

Top Bottom