• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Looking To Purchase Metal Gear/Silent Hill/Castlevania Properties From Konami, Remakes To Follow Suit

Shifty1897

I don't believe this rumor at all.
Given Konami's long-running insanity, I'm sure the cost of the IP's would be outrageous (hundreds of millions for all three) and not worth it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
why are so many people excited for remakes when all people are pouting on about is new its most of the time? yes these games are good but surely new games would be better

Blond

Banned
Name 1 of the dozens of 4chan rumors that have come true last year. I'm serious, name one.

why are so many people excited for remakes when all people are pouting on about is new its most of the time? yes these games are good but surely new games would be better

90s kids have money to burn now as adults.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Name 1 of the dozens of 4chan rumors that have come true last year. I'm serious, name one.

90s kids have money to burn now as adults.
remaking games on new hardware but with 90's level design aint great lol as I said I like these games but they should stay as they are and not remade. make new ones as good as the 90's ones

The Alien

Banned
I could see them licensing reboots...but selling the properties outright?

At that point, after Sony sucks their most valuable IPs, why not just get acquired by Sony?

INC

Gold Member

with the resi remakes, a MGS version to the same quality...........of course people wanna play that

The rumor about the two SH project developed by Sony's Japan Studio are believable but this stuff about Sony buying multiple franchises from Konami sound unrealistic.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't oppose remakes at all, I just don't like it being the central idea around getting these IPs. It's an entirely different company getting a hold of the games, I want them to do something fresh.
A Remake of MG1&2 which is over 30 years old would be fresh

Fbh

I'd honestly prefer if they spent that money making new IP's.
Though I guess if they are going to keep throwing money at Kojima then I'll take more Metal Gear over more Fedex simulators.

Last edited:
I'd honestly prefer if they spent that money making new IP's.
Though I guess if they are going to keep throwing money at Kojima then I'll take a more Metal Gear over more Fedex simulators.

We've had Death Stranding from Kojima so I dont mind him doing Hills (in fact I dream about it), and it'll be a totally new experince.

In terms of TeamSilent making a new entry to a game they made that was the best horror game ever made, that gets a thumbs up from me too 🥰

TGO

I wonder which we'll see first?
Has to be the Reboot With Silent Hills following after

ExpandKong

Banned
Does this ever happen? Honest question - has a company like this ever sold off an IP (other than during a bankruptcy scenario)? I can't think of a single case of this having happened. And as far as I know Konami's not exactly hurting for money.

These are some of the biggest IPs in gaming (well two of them anyway, though Silent Hill does have a very devoted following). Why would a seemingly financially healthy company just offload something like that?

Doesn't make a lick of sense. A licensing deal to make some new games, maybe, but that's not what this rumor's saying.

That's why I'm leaning hard into team fake.

Last edited:
A Remake of MG1&2 which is over 30 years old would be fresh

A remake of MGS 1 would be great, but 2 doesn't need one. That game still looks and plays great and a lot of its themes wouldn't go well with a modern look. That's a very time specific game.

I would prefer MGR2 to MGS2 remake.

I dream of a true symphony of the night sequel (on a console, not a portable)... Please no 2.5d, except for the backgrounds.

Or at least make a 16:9 version.

Or at least get one of your studios to make a God of war like Castlevania (classic God of war, not another 3rd person shooter please).

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want these games to becole first party. I'd much rather Konami made some effort to make games again, or sold to another publisher. Just not first party.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We’ll see. This is a pretty crazy rumor.

That said, I’ve always kind of felt like Metal Gear and Silent Hill were PlayStation franchises anyway, and it would make a lot of sense for Sony to be the one to take these forward, instead of them languishing in Konami’s vault.

When you also consider that Sony has close ties to the original staff for these games...

Not so sure it makes sense for Konami. Licensing these properties to Sony on a case-by-case basis would be far more lucrative, and offer the company the ability to step back into making them, if they ever cared to. It would have to be offer-you-can’t-refuse levels of good.

I don’t want Castlevania anywhere near Sony, though. Based on their output thus far, and the rumors here, they’re every kind of wrong for the series. I can see exactly what they’d make, and it’s Lords of Shadow-level appalling.

mortal

Hmmm nah I don't think Konami would actually outright sell these IPs.
Seems more plausible they're just licensing them to Sony, with Sony opting for an exclusive deal.

I wouldn't want these games to becole first party. I'd much rather Konami made some effort to make games again, or sold to another publisher. Just not first party.

But that's just it, Konami moving in another direction despite a world class stable of ips. So someone take these franchises and do something.

Bolivar687

Banned
I hereby demand that Sony pull Metal Gear, Castlevania, and all Konami properties down from Microsoft and Nintendo storefronts, effective immediately.

VulcanRaven

Many MGS fans are not very interested in new MGS games without Kojima so remakes would be great

That would be great, but I highly doubt it. I would be pleasantly surprised if Sony actually did pursue those franchises, but it sounds way too good to be true.

TGO

A remake of MGS 1 would be great, but 2 doesn't need one. That game still looks and plays great and a lot of its themes wouldn't go well with a modern look. That's a very time specific game.

I would prefer MGR2 to MGS2 remake.
I mean the first 2 Metal Gear games before Metal Gear Solid lol
Does this ever happen? Honest question - has a company like this ever sold off an IP (other than during a bankruptcy scenario)? I can't think of a single case of this having happened. And as far as I know Konami's not exactly hurting for money.

These are some of the biggest IPs in gaming (well two of them anyway, though Silent Hill does have a very devoted following). Why would a seemingly financially healthy company just offload something like that?

Doesn't make a lick of sense. A licensing deal to make some new games, maybe, but that's not what this rumor's saying.

That's why I'm leaning hard into team fake.
If Konami was actually making games with those IPs then yeah it would be hard to believe.
But as they have no interest, a big cheque for them is believable

Last edited:

Ban Puncher

AZv2ixC.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Many MGS fans are not very interested in new MGS games without Kojima so remakes would be great
Then the remakes wouldn’t be the same without him either. I ain’t against remakes I just think this gen we have had far to many. Don’t you think? Could spend the res courses making new games

ExpandKong

Banned
I mean the first 2 Metal Gear games before Metal Gear Solid lol

If Konami was actually making games with those IPs then yeah it would be hard to believe.
But as they have no interest, a big cheque for them is believable

They put out a rather successful Castlevania collection not too long ago.

Besides that, an IP is more than just games: movies, Netflix shows, pachinko machines - these are things each of these IPs are directly tied to right now, hell Castlevania season 3 came out last week and they started talking about a new silent hill movie a month or two ago.

So yeah, licensing out the name I can see happening but that’s not what this rumor is saying.

If this is true, Nintendo needs to buy Bomberman IP, and Snatcher IP ASAP.

Nintendo should also consider:
Adventure Island, Suikoden, Contra, and DDR!

I doubt Konami would part with YuGiOh, or PES.

Atrus

Gold Member
It would be hilarious if Konami let Kojima go only for Kojima to work with Sony and for Sony to acquire the big Konami IP’s.

This is a perfectly Metal Gear-esque plot twist.

cireza

Why purchase all these series when you can simply make new games that would be basically the same thing, but with a different name ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom