• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Xbox Lockhart Reveal soon: 4Tf, Limited next gen features

are you excited for Lockhart?

• yes. lockhart is amazing

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • Hell Naaa

Votes: 280 77.3%

• Total voters
According to Nibbel who has a pretty solid track record its happening in may:

So price is 299$ most probably. What next gen feature it won't have ? Probably hardware Raytracing due to weak gpu ?hopefully ssd is there as that would mess up baseline for next gen.

As I just replied (*megaton btw 🙈🤦‍♀️):

Considering Xbox One X would have *more* tflp than Lockhart ... 🤷‍♀️ (yes, Lockhart with the more modern chipset, but maybe One X would compensate through sheer power)

Last edited:
Oh crap, so there will be like 3 xbox consoles to purchase (High End > SEX, Mid End > One X, Low End > Lockhart)

I think SEX games will run on One X at ~2K res.

Last edited:
Now that would be weird as f***... 4TF vs 12TF, that's a big ASS performance diff. you need something in between
Well 4tf lockhart will outperform x1x in every single next gen game. Tf doesn't mean much when x1x cpu is bottlenecking the gpu all the time. Jaguat cpu in x1x can not handle next gen games .thats why ms is brining lockhart to begin with .otherwise they would just use 1x as base

RespawnX

As I just replied (*megaton btw 🙈🤦‍♀️):

Considering Xbox One X would have *more* tflp than Lockhart ... 🤷‍♀️ (yes, Lockhart with the more modern chipset, but maybe One X would compensate through sheer power)

4 TF RDNA 2.0 ist more powerful than XbX
Paired with a decent clocked Zen 2 and SSD it would be a nice grab for 299

Oh crap, so there will be like 3 xbox consoles to purchase (High End > SEX, Mid End > One X, Low End > Lockhart)

I think SEX games will run on One X at ~2K res.

XbX will be replaced by Lockhart.

Good on MS, they have no way of competing otherwise.

This might also mean the rumors are right and XSX is going to be priced higher than the PS5.

Xbox Series X has 20%> compute power advantage over PS5, if they launch the system for 529 instead of 499, they still sell well. But it would be dump if Microsoft overprices Sony, my guess is they will aim for price parity at any cost. PS5 hast expensive NAND, die production savings went practically 1:1 into the SSD.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Xbox Series X has 20%> compute power advantage over PS5, if they launch the system for 529 instead of 499, they still sell well. But it would be dump if Microsoft overprices Sony, my guess is they will aim for price parity at any cost. PS5 hast expensive NAND, die production savings went practically 1:1 into the SSD.

I’m not going to bother again with explaining but the XSX will be at least 50€ more expensive to manufacture and that gap will widen a bit with die shrinks.

Also with this strategy, there will be no point in losing a lot of money on the premium product.

Get ready fellas, your going to see terms like “scalable, click of a button, won’t effect game design” from the halo avatars here real soon.

As long as the CPU and the SSD are just as performant, the differences will be visual. It will incentivize developers to explore higher frame rates in the more powerful machines too, which isn’t a bad thing. It also means that 1st party developers will have very different constraints, but honestly that’snot necessarily a bad thing either.

Last edited:

McHuj

No. The 1X does not have any sheer power advantage over a RDNA2 GPU. The 4TF RDNA GPU will still be more powerful.

No true nextgen game could run on a low clocked Jaguar CPU and without an SSD.

KAL2006

Banned
Everything in life we have cheaper options

You can buy a cheaper model smartphone
A cheaper car
A cheaper house
A cheaper laptop
Netflix SD, HD, 4K tiers

It only makes sense Microsoft will try to get gamers on a budget. And before people say well they can play One S. The Series S is here for the long run and the entire next generation where you can play the latest COD and FIFA games with feature parity other than resolution. A ton of people don't care about resolution and continue to buys One S and PS4 even though they have a 4K TV. Mark my words the Series S will outsell Series X.

I have no idea why they did this, but if it's meant to be some way of reserving a bit of market share if PS5 undercuts the XSX it's an interesting, uncertain, perhaps telling? strategy. No idea of course~

You still don't have to deal with any configuration the console does it for you.
It will still be simple.
Lol are u listening to your self ? Console does it for u ? Haha come on man. It still needs dev time and attention to ensure it runs perfectly tly without bugs on lockhart as that will be the main xbox seller for next gen. So most xbox players will be on lockhart

KAL2006

Banned
Strange, what I see most in the discussions given by xbox fanatics is that the ps5 is weak at 10.3tf. A 4tf lockhart would not even be able to boot a next gen game according to this logic.

It's crazy when people don't realise this system is targeting 1080p a quarter or the resolution to 4K. Once people wrap their heads around that then the power difference makes complete sense.

Genx3

Lol are u listening to your self ? Console does it for u ? Haha come on man. It still needs dev time and attention to ensure it runs perfectly tly without bugs on lockhart as that will be the main xbox seller for next gen. So most xbox players will be on lockhart

The only thing devs will scale back on are the graphics. Everything XSX does at 4K should be doable at 1080P on a 4TF console with the same architecture.
Not sure why as a gamer you're worried about that. If you don't like Lockhart there is both XSX and PS5.

It's crazy when people don't realise this system is targeting 1080p a quarter or the resolution to 4K. Once people wrap their heads around that then the power difference makes complete sense.
There is no force for next gen to hit 4k natively. Devs can go crazy with graphics at 1600p on ps5 and 1700p on xsx. That game then has to be 720p on lockhart in 2022 which sucks but it is what it is

Last edited:
Get ready fellas, your going to see terms like “scalable, click of a button, won’t effect game design” from the halo avatars here real soon.
Game design will not be affected since the GPU is mostly used for graphics. It literally is toggling which graphics are enabled and which aren't. Gamplay on the other hand is more CPU heavy.

John254

Banned
There is no force for next gen to hit 4k natively. Devs can go crazy with graphics at 1600p on ps5 and 1700p on xsx. That game then has to be 720p on lockhart in 2022 which sucks but it is what it is
So it will be. And why exactly is that bothering you, since you don't want to buy Lockhart?

Genx3

Absolutely and those games will be 900P on Lockhart.

xool

Who is going to make games for this [nobody]

Who is going to buy this [dunno]

How will it play Series X games [it won't]

I don't even expect a super cheap Xbox One (X) given the sales of that thing right now - but that seems the only likely option.

100% doesn't exist as a next gen device. 25% possibly a low cost last-gen replacement. Even so - not sure who would even stock this ?

Now that would be weird as f***... 4TF vs 12TF, that's a big ASS performance diff. you need something in between
No, if one machine targets 4k at mostly 60fps, sometimes 30 with some raytracing effects and the other 1080p without any raytracing... Having 1/4th the GPU performance (and slower memory) wouldn't cause any kind of problem... Assuming everything else is equal.

John254

Banned
So, stacking in terms of performance, we've got:

Xbox One
PS4
Lockhart
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
PS5
Xbox Series X

Hmm.
Nope

IF Xbox Series S have same CPU as Xbox Series X (which it probably will have) than Lockhart would obliterate both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Also 4TFLOPS RDNA 2 can give +- same performance as 6TFLOP GCN

So

Xbox One
PS4
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Lockhart
PS5
Xbox Series X

Last edited:

Metnut

I think Microsoft is making a huge mistake by requiring all games to run on Lockhart. This could be this generations Kinect level blunder. I’d be surprised if they don’t walk this back after a year or two.
If they are stubborn then first party PS5 games are going to be a lot more exciting than Microsoft’s.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Strange, what I see most in the discussions given by xbox fanatics is that the ps5 is weak at 10.3tf. A 4tf lockhart would not even be able to boot a next gen game according to this logic.
Strange, what I see most in the discussions given by playstation fanatics is that the power difference between XSX and PS5 doesn't mean anything. A 4TF lockhart would we great if priced accordingly according to this logic.

This can go both ways, as always with fanatics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Microsoft is making a huge mistake by requiring all games to run on Lockhart. This could be this generations Kinect level blunder. I’d be surprised if they don’t walk this back after a year or two.
If they are stubborn then first party PS5 games are going to be a lot more exciting than Microsoft’s.
To be fair they said no exclusives for xsx for the first 2 years. So in first 2 years lockhart is not an issue but rather x1 original is the issue.

Lets see what they do after that 2 years .if lockhart becomes the best seller between it and xsx then ms can't discontinue it .

Last edited:

McHuj

If Lockhart is cheap enough (below $300), I think it will be a real winner in this economy.

I do wonder what limited next gen features means. I guess 4K resolution for next gen games. Maybe no support for 120Hz?

looking forward to the reveal, can see my self getting one for my son. currently have a 1x and original x1 which we play sea of thieves together, so if lockhart is cheap enough i will trade both current xboxes and get both new ones.

Top Bottom