• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Xbox Lockhart Reveal soon: 4Tf, Limited next gen features

are you excited for Lockhart?

• yes. lockhart is amazing

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • Hell Naaa

Votes: 280 77.3%

• Total voters

sendit

If Lockhart is real, and it probably is, then it is truly the Next-Gen baseline console which on which all multi-plats will need to run, in some form or capacity. One X games running in 1080p performance mode is probably in the same neighborhood, GPU wise, as what Lockhart will target. But the difference in CPU and some GPU bells and wistles will make a very important difference, making it effectively Next Gen in the way that we want. That's all fine and good until, what, 2023?

What happens when ambitious Series X and PS5 games start getting pushed to the 1080p-ish internal render targets toward the end of the generation, like what is happening sometimes now with PS4 Pro? What in the bloody hell will Lockhart be doing then? 600p reconstruction?

Agreed. If Microsoft considers twice the teraflops of the XboneX a true generational leap. Where does that leave lockhart? :messenger_loudly_crying:

docbot

Banned
I only have a 1080p TV and if it's cheap enough and even if it was only running at 720p, Microsoft might get me to buy it if they have games I really want to check out.

It's not like PS5 has a similiar problem, considering how insanely large the install base of PS4 is, I imagine that all the big titles will have to be crossgeneration from a business standpoint.

With Cyberpunk, Ghost, TLOU2, there are still so many great game coming, this generation feels far from over.

TLZ

Banned
my speculation:

lockhard = 36CU at 2 GHz. 😎 stable

giphy.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think Lockhart is the bigfoot of the videogames. It never existed but several people claim to have seen it. I think it's bullshit and doesn't make sense for 5 reasons:

1) MS said they will continue releasing their games during the 2 first years of Series X for XBO. Which means that during that period their cheap SKU will be XBO S, XBO SAD and XBO X. Having them, it doesn't make sense to release another "cheap" SKU.

2) MS devs will need to port their games to XBO S, XBO X, Lockhart, Series X and PC. It would be a pain in the ass to optimize something. Even without Lockhart it already is a lot of work compared to PS5 only games or Switch only games, so MS games would look way worse than Sony games.

3) And it would be even worse for multi games, because or they skip the Lockhart port or they won't be next gen only games, they would be crossgen during all the generation.

4) In terms of market, if MS decides to keep supporting XBO S, XBO SAD and XBO X during at least the first 2 years of Series X, it means that Series X will have less sales and market share that if it was the only MS machine in the market. If on top of that there is another SKU, means Lockhart would reduce even more the Series X market share and sales.

5) It would be too confusing for the casual players to have XBO S, XBO X, XBO SAD, Lockhart (Series S) and Series X in the shops or if a game they are going to buy runs on their console or not.

What would make sense for MS would be to only have XBO X as the cheap SKU (with a substantial price cut) and Series X in the market. And to make MS 'next gen' games for only these two SKUs (+PC) during the first two years where they won't have next gen exclusives, and to let next gen multis to skip XBO.

Bookmark this. It will age so well.

Armorian

Banned
yeah you do, PS5

Lol, PS5 is slightly weaker version of XSX. XSS is more than 2x weaker but it also targets 3x or 4x lower resolution, this SKU won't create any problems for developers (at least in first years of next gen)

Last edited:

vkbest

Lol, PS5 is slightly weaker version of XSX. XSS is more than 2x weaker but it also targets 3x or 4x lower resolution, this SKU won't create any problems for developers (at least in first years of next gen)

This machine will be running games to 720p/900p and 30fps in 2-3 years. That is a problem, when developers want to increase graphics lower resolution and framerate, this machine is low even now.

Last edited:

fast_taker

Naaah, i'd rather keep my x1x, not to mention my gaming pc. I will definitely go though for the higher end xbox series x console

BeardGawd

Banned
I just realized that with assets that can scale down with resolution. There is a potential 4x bandwidth savings. If they use the same SSD speed as the Series X, Lockhart with the Velocity architecture could load optimized games/assets even faster than the PS5.

Armorian

Banned
This machine will be running games to 720p/900p and 30fps in 2-3 years. That is a problem, when developers want to increase graphics lower resolution and framerate, this machine is low even now.

IF "big" consoles targets 1800-2160p resolutions (like XOX now in some games) XSS will just breeze in 1080p with same (or higher) frsmerate. With much lower cu count it will have much lowered (or removed) RT features. When AMD "DLSS" version hits it will be 1080/1440p reconstructed to 4K on big consoles and 720p or lower on XSS but it will have harder time to keep up in this scenario.

vkbest

IF "big" consoles targets 1800-2160p resolutions (like XOX now in some games) XSS will just breeze in 1080p with same (or higher) frsmerate. With much lower cu count it will have much lowered (or removed) RT features. When AMD "DLSS" version hits it will be 1080/1440p reconstructed to 4K on big consoles and 720p or lower on XSS but it will have harder time to keep up in this scenario.

You are assuming that DLSS technology will be into this Scarlett.

Neo_game

Unreal 5 demo was running at 1440P. So I do not think games will run below a tech demo. Xbox S I think nothing will go below 1080P the standard. Devs will use that as the base and scale the resolution accordingly for PS5 and X version.

Armorian

Banned
why they are not using on current gen then?

Nv loves to lock older cards, they could easily enable it on non tiring gpus with more performance cost but they need to sell new gpus. It all comes down to algorithm, their first versions of DLSS were shit, maybe AMD, MS/Sony won't be able to replicate this quality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DLSS can run on shader cores, every DX11class GPU can run it in theory.

So what happens when a dev wants to run AMD's DLSS on the XSX with the game running natively at 1080p with HUGE ray-tracing (like Minecraft)?

BeardGawd

Banned
So what happens when a dev wants to run AMD's DLSS on the XSX with the game running natively at 1080p with HUGE ray-tracing (like Minecraft)?

The RTX 2060 (6TFLOPS) runs Minecraft Raytracing at native 720p and then DLSS is used to upscale to 1080p.

I'm guessing something similar would happen with Lockhart.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Unreal 5 demo was running at 1440P. So I do not think games will run below a tech demo. Xbox S I think nothing will go below 1080P the standard. Devs will use that as the base and scale the resolution accordingly for PS5 and X version.

I think first wave of games will be around 1800p on average (with dynamic scaler), once something as good as DLSS drops it will get lower. I DO NOT expect graphics in games to have quality of UE5 tech demo until PS5 Pro drops, we still don't have anything looking as good as the Wizard PS4 TD.

The RTX 2060 (6TFLOPS) runs Minecraft Raytracing at native 720p and then DLSS is used to upscale to 1080p.

I'm guessing something similar would happen with Lockhart.

I expect heavy RT usage only in some smaller titles, traditional techniques can still show great results. I would like RT global illumination (Metro) in more games for sure.

Top Bottom