• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 is $26 @ Amazon, Target, GameStop (Switch)

Thinking of picking this up, wondering if it’s aged well. Anyone play this recently? I loved Harvest Moon back in the day. Reviews on YouTube don’t seem very helpful as they are all by people who are crazy about the Rune Factory series (at least the few I’ve watched)

Was hoping for a chill Switch game for when relaxing in bed. Was hoping Animal Crossing would check that box but I find the game pretty damn boring.

How does this hold up in 2022?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Thinking of picking this up, wondering if it’s aged well. Anyone play this recently? I loved Harvest Moon back in the day. Reviews on YouTube don’t seem very helpful as they are all by people who are crazy about the Rune Factory series (at least the few I’ve watched)

Was hoping for a chill Switch game for when relaxing in bed. Was hoping Animal Crossing would check that box but I find the game pretty damn boring.

How does this hold up in 2022?

It certainly looks like an older title, but its damn fun. I put in well over 400 hours before wrapping up my time with the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It certainly looks like an older title, but its damn fun. I put in well over 400 hours before wrapping up my time with the game.
Damn guess i will try someday.. 400 hours is no joke

Ghost27

Neo Member
I got it in 2020 I was looking for farming game to the void I have been missing after stardew valley and the harvest moon games. I got it and put over 500 hours into it.This game has an insane amount of content for an old 3DS game. I only played Rune Factory 1,2,and Tides Of Destiny before this game and didn't really like them.I loved this game though I enjoyed RF4 more then most of the other Harvest Moon games and Stardew Valley.

The gameplay loop of farming, adventuring,raising monsters,crafting items,and winning over the town's affection is extremely satisfying.

Amerikan

Banned
Aren't the reviews just lukewarm? It's like a mobile game: cool name, cool art, and that's about it.

Aren't the reviews just lukewarm? It's like a mobile game: cool name, cool art, and that's about it.
reviews have actually been solid

my copy should arrive in a few hours, but what I've seen so far looks promising

Rran

It's good. I picked it up instead of RF5 since I hear that one's got some issues.

If you've never played RF before, it's basically like a super-streamlined Harvest Moon with fantasy/fighting elements. There are tons of things to do and it gets addictive after the first couple hours of learning the ropes.

damn the gameplay loop is addictive

I'll hop on to put in 30 minutes and next thing I know 4 hours have gone by

I'm having way more fun than I expected.

might not really fair to compare it to Stardew Valley but if regardless I find this way, way, way more fun. and I loved Stardew Valley.

Ghost27

Neo Member
damn the gameplay loop is addictive

I'll hop on to put in 30 minutes and next thing I know 4 hours have gone by

I'm having way more fun than I expected.

might not really fair to compare it to Stardew Valley but if regardless I find this way, way, way more fun. and I loved Stardew Valley.
One thing I would recommend is getting a wiki open because this game has alot of complex systems the game does a very poor job explaining.A few tips I can give.

John E Boy has alot of videos that go into the obscure gameplay mechanics of this game.Some tips I can give.

1.You can recruit some bosses like ambrosia if you have their favorite item which for ambrosia is ultra toy herb.The boss monsters have beastly stats and can plow through just about the entire game.You can also mount boss monsters and use their attacks.

2.Get a heart pendant as soon as possible because it helps raise skills up way faster

The RF subreddit and these videos were pretty helpful for me.

One thing I would recommend is getting a wiki open because this game has alot of complex systems the game does a very poor job explaining.A few tips I can give.

John E Boy has alot of videos that go into the obscure gameplay mechanics of this game.Some tips I can give.

1.You can recruit some bosses like ambrosia if you have their favorite item which for ambrosia is ultra toy herb.The boss monsters have beastly stats and can plow through just about the entire game.You can also mount boss monsters and use their attacks.

2.Get a heart pendant as soon as possible because it helps raise skills up way faster

The RF subreddit and these videos were pretty helpful for me.

thanks, I'm just taking my time with it and in no rush. it doesn't seem like there is any penalty for going a slow pace, which makes this extremely chill to play.

Top Bottom