• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
To draw a direct comparison with what happened in Iraq and the current situation in Ukraine marks you out as one of two things:

1) Someone with zero grasp on the geo-political landscape of either conflict. A person with little to no knowledge, who likes to comment anyway, making them something of an idiot.

2) A pro-Russian troll.

Which is it, slappy?
Their reasoning points out more to tankie-types honestly, but nowadays it's hard to tell.

Hayabusa83

Banned
To draw a direct comparison with what happened in Iraq and the current situation in Ukraine marks you out as one of two things:

1) Someone with zero grasp on the geo-political landscape of either conflict. A person with little to no knowledge, who likes to comment anyway, making them something of an idiot.

2) A pro-Russian troll.

Which is it, slappy?

Oh right, I forgot Americans were 'exceptional' so we can't make direct comparisons ever.

Thaedolus

Oh right, I forgot Americans were 'exceptional' so we can't make direct comparisons ever.
wizard of oz dorothy GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
If I was in his position, I would have deserted as soon as I can. I won't be an idiot who follows orders blindly for the "Glory" of a POS. After all the things the Ruzzians military is doing in Ukraine to women and children, they can fuck themselves. I will applaud Putin's death, hell if I could I would piss in his dead body/grave.
Soldiers have families at home, i'm not sure if you can defect without putting in danger your loved ones.

I'm strictly talking about deserting here, not excusing the cunts for all the extra things they do.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Oh no. You're free to make as many comparison between the Iraq conflict and Ukraine as you like. It's just that when you make out they, or the combatants involved, were in any way similar, you sound like a moron.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Oh no. You're free to make as many comparison between the Iraq conflict and Ukraine as you like. It's just that when you make out they, or the combatants involved, were in any way similar, you sound like a moron.

No, just some rando on a video game forum thinks I sound like a moron. I can certainly live with that.

Soldiers have families at home, i'm not sure if you can defect without putting in danger your loved ones.

I'm strictly talking about deserting here, not excusing the cunts for all the extra things they do.

There are always a way to get out, like be missing in action, get into a river (if it is not dead cold), start a fire. For the family, I do not think they would have problems, it is not North Korea (yet), better be a deserter than a dead in a statistic.

No you wouldn't, let's not kid ourselves here.
Those who keep saying you will not, how do you know I would not try?

Do you decide what I can, or I cannot do?

There is a lot of people in Russia who escaped, deserted, shoot themselves, avoid being drafted and more, but I cannot say or decide by myself because you say I can't? Come on, don't be entitled to decide for me. If my country decided tomorrow to something this stupid (inviding a country with no excuse), I would say good bye, and leave.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ohhhh boooy. Shit take coming in hot from the NYT hidden under the label 'opinion':

Not sure what his fucking point is...

There would be nothing bad in admitting that they are partecipating to this war, they only send weapons instead of direct help because the puffy cunt menace to use nukes.

What the fuck i'm reading here?

GymWolf

Gold Member
There are always a way to get out, like be missing in action, get into a river (if it is not dead cold), start a fire. For the family, I do not think they would have problems, it is not North Korea (yet), better be a deserter than a dead in a statistic.
I think you make things too easy.

And russia right now is full on dictatorship, putin would have zero problem in killing the families of the first 50 deserters to send a message to the others, they don't have to publicly execute them to send a message dude.

Last edited:

Tams

We'll applaud the death of every single invading American, because the more of them die, the less Iraqis will. What do you think is happening here? There is a conflict where one side illegally invaded a country, and had committed multiple atrocities. You should be applauding each American soldier death, because it lessens the chance of more of those atrocities and deaths of innocent civilians.
Only that wasn't anywhere near as black and white.

1) An international coalition had already had to drive Saddam back once before.
2) Saddam was an utterly nasty piece of work.
3) Saddam's regime had used chemical weapons and likely did want nuclear weapons (mainly because Iran were also working on them).
4) The Americans and British did not indiscriminately target civilian areas. Of course there were numerous instances of mistakes happening, but they didn't flatten entire cities.
5) The Americans and Brits did not systematically commit war crimes. There were soldiers there, so unsurprisingly some did occur.
6) There were and have been numerous attempts to get the Iraqis back to governing themselves. It wasn't an attempt to steal territory.

Yes, the whole WMD thing did likely start from an intelligence report being completely blown out of proportion to meet Bush's (and Blair's) idea of the world order (and religious convictions). But the Americans and British were not clearly completely in the wrong.

Compared to the Russo-Ukraine war:

1) Ukraine has a democratically elected government, with no major concerns as to the veracity of the election.
2) Recent Ukrainian governments had committed no atrocities. Isolated incidents in a civil war fuelled by Russia, yes, but nothing systematic.
3) Problematic parts of Ukrainian society have either been quelled or reformed (all prior to the current invasion).
4) Russia has a history of meddling in Ukrainian domestic affairs. Invading Crimea and unofficially Donetsk and Luhansk.
5) Russia and the separatists they back have a record of atrocious war crimes. Ones that look systematic.
6) Russia and the separatists have clearly targeted civilians.
7) Russia and the separatists have almost levelled cities.

I'm not sure why I've wasted my time outlining this for you, but here you are. Perhaps this will put someone else going off on some asinine and stupid comparison.

TwinB242

Yeah it would be really odd.. Must be first batch for training.

I dunno. My theory is that this might actually be the administration trying not to anger Putin. They send only a few, and then see how the Russians react. Based on that the U.S. decides whether or not to send more and in what numbers.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I dunno. My theory is that this might actually be the administration trying not to anger Putin. They send only a few, and then see how the Russians react. Based on that the U.S. decides whether or not to send more and in what numbers.
Biden bless his senile old socks has made no bones calling out Putin for exactly what he is, a murderous dictator, I'm pretty sure he doesn't give 1 fuck what he thinks or let's what those cunts say affect what he sends, we all know Russia is at war by proxy with Nato

Fools idol

Banned
I came accross quite a few Dota players from Russia today who had the audacity to be toxic on mic to orher players. I mean, what the fuck. If I was Russian right now I would be ashamed to even show my nationality on a multiplayer game let alone talk shit on mic

TwinB242

ahs-krab-self-propelled-howitzer.jpg

Poland is really going all out with the support. I looked these up and they sound pretty legit. Can fire up to 6 155mm shells per minute for a maximum range of 40KM, so it can outgun Russian artillery like the rest of the howitzers Ukraine has been getting.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I came accross quite a few Dota players from Russia today who had the audacity to be toxic on mic to orher players. I mean, what the fuck. If I was Russian right now I would be ashamed to even show my nationality on a multiplayer game let alone talk shit on mic
i would absolutely love to get into a sleggin match with some narky russians, i imagine it would be extremely easy to wind the cunts up, they wouldnt have a leg to stand on seeing as they where blew off by an exploding toilet they tried to steal

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've done my part as well, I send about 100 euros every month. It's not much, but I hope it contributes with some ammo to kill orcs.
Every bit helps, based on average salary here, I think 100 EUR isn't nothing you know. Also not sure if you use it, but those food delivery services, have 10CZK by default for every 1000CZK payed. At least Kosik does that. But you can see it everywhere, you can add Ukraine help to a basically any internet "basket".

FunkMiller

Gold Member
An extremely horrific and precise strike on a company of Ukrainian Armed Forces of the 28th brigade in Kherson.

This is from an extremely gross pro Russian propaganda YouTube account, so I would question its accuracy. It’s probably best not to post videos like this purporting to be from either side, unless there is some indication of independent verification.

Last edited:

Tams

An extremely horrific and precise strike on a company of Ukrainian Armed Forces of the 28th brigade in Kherson.

Perhaps it's true, but as already pointed out it's from a notorious source, and I don't see why the Ukrainians would be grouping like that so out in the open.

Nikodemos

Perhaps it's true, but as already pointed out it's from a notorious source, and I don't see why the Ukrainians would be grouping like that so out in the open.
Unfortunately, there's no natural cover in the south, so once you get spotted by a drone, you need to drop anything you're doing and GTFO at top speed (while also trying to shoot it down, which is pretty damn hard).

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I have been avoiding Pro Russian videos, a: you can't trust a Russian, b: you can't trust a Russian and c: that's like wanting to watch videos of Nazi atrocities, nah I'll stick to videos showing the Nazis getting their arse kicked thankyou very much, I'm well aware the Ukrainians will also be getting hammered but theres no enjoyment to be had watching them die whereas everyday is fun day with orcs being slaughtered

Tams

Unfortunately, there's no natural cover in the south, so once you get spotted by a drone, you need to drop anything you're doing and GTFO at top speed (while also trying to shoot it down, which is pretty damn hard).
I said nothing about cover, only that about grouping in a relatively open area. They were grouping a lot, the operator clearly waited until they were well grouped. And I think it must have been relayed to some other platform as as far as I know Russia don't have any drones capable of that large an explosion.

Now, it looks like it was night, but even then you need to be careful clearly.

So I hope this isn't actually Ukrainian forces getting hit.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

You’d like to think all the tankie fuckwits screaming ‘but America and the west are just as bad!’ would at some point actually look at what Russia are doing and come to their senses.

Wont hold my breath.
When someone is trying to say ABC is the same as XYZ when there are myriad obvious differences plain as day, there are two possibilities: they’re dumb as rocks or the truth is incompatible with their agenda, so they lie.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When someone is trying to say ABC is the same as XYZ when there are myriad obvious differences plain as day, there are two possibilities: they’re dumb as rocks or the truth is incompatible with their agenda, so they lie.

Yep. Some people have an inherent and irrational hatred of the west, and when such a black and white situation occurs, that irrational hatred inevitably comes out when they try to bring the west down to Russia’s level.

The fact is that America and the west have made gross and stupid errors of foreign and domestic policy, but none come close to what the Russians are doing currently.

MikeM

Ohhhh boooy. Shit take coming in hot from the NYT hidden under the label 'opinion':

Terrible take.

If America was actually in there, you’d see F35s and A10s doing their thing real quick. The author of this article is trying to stir the pot.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If this was a war between Russia & NATO it would be an embarrassing massacre, at this point a single US carrier group parked off the coast of Odessa could single handily win this war which is both an alarming insight of the sheer lethality & strength of a carrier group and the utter ineptitude of the Russians...

TwinB242

The last few weeks have been depressing to follow. Very little good news and mostly bad news, especially in the east. The only thing thats somewhat hopeful is the Kherson counteroffensive, but even then when you look at the maps you realize that its been very limited in scope so far and only a small chunk of territory has been taken back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom