• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: female player model is in. Genital lottery begins again.

Maxey

I rolled the dice and this is what I got:

51C255469E1E2B29182B88647A392D8184EE9989

I'm almost disappointed at what I got. Nice dong tho.

While I like the random aspect, I think you should at least be able to select your gender as a one time thing at the start. People have been waiting for female player models a long time, it's kinda shitty that they can't even be sure to play as one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
While I like the random aspect, I think you should at least be able to select your gender as a one time thing at the start. People have been waiting for female player models a long time, it's kinda shitty that they can't even be sure to play as one.
Maybe they should give you the choice between female and randomized. xD

While I like the "social experimental" nature of what they're trying to do, it really rubs me the wrong way that I paid 20 bucks for this game and, when they add changes and content like this, they're essentially taking options away from me and telling me how to play their game.
They aren't taking options away when you never had an option on your gender(or any other part of your character) in the first place.

woopWOOP

I guess there's no set Steam_ID pattern that's revealed somewhere?

because I'm kinda curious what my model looks like, even tho I have no desire whatsoever to actually play this :p

This kinda stuff is like perfect advertising for me. I have no real interest in Rust (along with most open world survival games really) but the temptation to buy this just to see what the me of the Rust world looks like is a strong one for sure.

Fatbody

This isn't really all that ballsy. They got everyone's money already. What would of been risky is if they did this from the get-go.

I logged in to check this morning with a buddy (Haven't played Rust in months). We're both females. Doesn't bother me aside from everyone being bald. I don't play Rust or most of these survival games anymore though. It's all about griefing and simply not fun for me.

NSFW
c22f991aa1.png

MUnited83

For you.
While I like the "social experimental" nature of what they're trying to do, it really rubs me the wrong way that I paid 20 bucks for this game and, when they add changes and content like this, they're essentially taking options away from me and telling me how to play their game.
Taking away options.... That you never had in the first place?

tuffymon

is it just generic male or female, or are there random features? i also got a chick just now, and looks the same as aztec / op post

is it just generic male or female, or are there random features? i also got a chick just now, and looks the same as aztec / op post

New character model is more limited but changes are coming.

This is really just the first pass of an ongoing rework of the player model. I’ll continue to add variations over the comings weeks which means you’re probably not stuck with your new face forever. We’ve got a decent synced workflow between the assets I make in Zbrush and the assets you’ll see in-game now, so it opens up a lot of scope to easily add or change features without a great deal of technical faffing in-between.

tuxfool

Banned
I logged in to check this morning with a buddy (Haven't played Rust in months). We're both females. Doesn't bother me aside from everyone being bald. I don't play Rust or most of these survival games anymore though. It's all about griefing and simply not fun for me.

Gosh, your eyes are pretty close set
unlike your boobs.

Zolo

I guess this is the one place okay to post exposed gentials and boobs?

Outside of Mara for SMT. =p

As much as I enjoy seeing bigots getting outraged because of this, they should just give people the option to be whatever they want to be.

quick question, do you have to buy the game before rolling the dice?

Yes and I would wait for a bit. There is new character models and they are a bit limited at the moment. Black/white male and black/white female, They will be tweaking them in the coming weeks to add more variety. The variable penis sizes where on the older models and I'm not sure they are in yet either.

im_dany

I loved this game, too bad my PC can't run it anymore. I considered building a newer one but only for Rust... eh.

If I would still play this I wouldn't care about this update, but I can see why some people may not like it. Not the racists I mean, but those that want to customize their character to feel more immersed.

I don't have the game nor do I plan to buy it but I am curious as to what my STEAMID identifies as (I hope for a transexual attack helicopter doberman).

Is there a way to see what character it would generate without having the game?

That whole rng thing is worth it alone for that racist idiot that now forever has to play a non-white character. Hope some online harrassers get to experience life as a woman in Rust.

More games should experiment with this kind of stuff, could lead to very interesting role-playing scenarios.

Nzyme32

I love that they are doing this and there is no choice for anyone. They have to live with who they are based on a genetic lottery. Awesome.

Pau

It's a neat idea, but being locked into one character would drive me crazy. It's bad enough being locked into a random body for my whole life! :p

SoulUnison

Banned
Taking away options.... That you never had in the first place?

They aren't taking options away when you never had an option on your gender(or any other part of your character) in the first place.

No they aren't. When you paged $20 you didn't have options to begin with. After all these changes? You still don't have options.

I probably hastily worded that since I was on mobile earlier. What I mean is, when I went looking for a game a couple years ago, RUST was a sandbox-y obvious-beta game where everybody was a weird naked dude. Ok, whatever, sounds good. It's on sale, maybe, I'll try this out.

But now if I was looking to buy a game RUST is 20 bucks and there's the chance when I buy it that's I'll end up a completely different race and gender than I am and there's just nothing I could do about it. And the "choice" is made retroactively for me already owning the game, too. Maybe it's shallow, but when i play games that are sandbox-y or have any sort of character creation, I like to play as something close to "myself."

I wouldn't buy RUST at 20 dollars today, and I probably won't even launch the copy I already own anymore, because something really fundamental about the way I enjoy the game has changed and it doesn't appeal to me anymore. Part of this is also the user base and the more violent, vocal and younger reactions to this whole thing that you can't get away from online. It was bad enough when this was just about dick size.

It doesn't matter though, because they already had my money, and that feels weird.

Piggus

Before this update my character had the most pathetic excuse for a penis you could possibly imagine. I can't wait to log back in and see if my fortunes have changed.

shandy706

I rolled the dice and this is what I got:

I'm almost disappointed at what I got. Nice dong tho.

Looking at other models, you won the penis lottery. Haha

With my luck I'd get a male when I actually want to play as a female. I think this is neat though. More games should do random locked characters.

I probably hastily worded that since I was on mobile earlier. What I mean is, when I went looking for a game a couple years ago, RUST was a sandbox-y obvious-beta game where everybody was a weird naked dude. Ok, whatever, sounds good. It's on sale, maybe, I'll try this out.

But now if I was looking to buy a game RUST is 20 bucks and there's the chance when I buy it that's I'll end up a completely different race and gender than I am and there's just nothing I could do about it. And the "choice" is made retroactively for me already owning the game, too. Maybe it's shallow, but when i play games that are sandbox-y or have any sort of character creation, I like to play as something close to "myself."

I wouldn't buy RUST at 20 dollars today, and I probably won't even launch the copy I already own anymore, because something really fundamental about the way I enjoy the game has changed and it doesn't appeal to me anymore. Part of this is also the user base and the more violent, vocal and younger reactions to this whole thing that you can't get away from online. It was bad enough when this was just about dick size.

It doesn't matter though, because they already had my money, and that feels weird.
I get your point about not being able to play as the character you want. When I play a game and I see that the customization options are limited, I do lose a bit of fun out of it. BUT REGARDLESS OF THAT, it's still the exact same game. So if you had fun with it before, you'd probably still have fun with it now... If you honestly just got over it. You may find its not that big of a deal being forced to play a female.

Top Bottom