• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: female player model is in. Genital lottery begins again.

Yes, that's how game development works

oh and you never had the option in the game to begin with so they never took it from you

m48VJWU.gif

LThWgco.gif

my reasons aren't terrible but I'd rather not share my "controversial" view and have myself banned because my view is different from yours. i promise you its not as bad as you think and maybe its not something thatll get me banned, but hey, why risk it?

If you think that you can get banned for just having an opinion, you haven't been here very long. There are quite a few posters who persisted for some time while having controversial opinions, because they post in a certain fashion. You'd have to veer into "WBC/KKK" territory for a controversial opinion to be bannable.

Or maybe I'm lying

Aselith

It cuts both ways , I guess. Under-representated players can get stuck playing a white male yet again.

I think there's inherent fairness in assigning it randomly though which would make it ok for those folks. You're basically rerolling real life for the game.

Kinsei

Banned
I think there's inherent fairness in assigning it randomly though which would make it ok for those folks. You're basically rerolling real life for the game.

Not really, unless there is a way for you to change sex in-game then it's nothing like in real life.

Aselith

Not really, unless there is a way for you to change sex in-game then it's nothing like in real life.

Since he seems to be interested in exploring sexual identity, I wouldn't be shocked to see him put an option in there through some actual game mechanics not a toggle

Dude, even if you don't want to explain it, you pretty much just said you believe gender is a choice. I don't care about your view, most of the scientific community agrees that gender is not a choice. Your opinion is yours, but it's just like saying sexuality is a choice.

Show some balls/labia and demonstrate the courage of your convictions, or leave the passive-aggressive crap at home and suck it up, prince/ss.

this is pretty much what i mean:

people change their sex all the time in real life so i don't really see why i can't just choose what gender I want to play as if both options are provided.

Tigress

What I find amusing is if you ask for games to represent more female players you get told to let the developers do their vision without trying to interfere (I'm talking in general when talking about this stuff on gaming forums in general). A developer does a vision of people getting random characters with no choice of what/who they are and all the sudden the developer is bad cause they're forcing the players to play the game how they want.

I thought we were supposed to bow down to what the developer wants and not criticize?

Kenai

I kinda wanna re-dl just to see what I got. Bought the beta years ago.

Rust is not really my type of game but I do love that they are doing this. Very interesting social experiment

I wonder if there is a squad of Jonah Falcons running amok. Slightly out of shape white dudes with 13 1/2" dongs flapping about.

Wait....to they "flap" in this game? Hilarious if they do.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What I find amusing is if you ask for games to represent more female players you get told to let the developers do their vision without trying to interfere (I'm talking in general when talking about this stuff on gaming forums in general). A developer does a vision of people getting random characters with no choice of what/who they are and all the sudden the developer is bad cause they're forcing the players to play the game how they want.

I thought we were supposed to bow down to what the developer wants and not criticize?
shhhhhhh

Consumer

I sympathize for these people that bought this in early access with the expectation of playing as a character that they can relate to. Many people find it disengaging and hard to invest into a character that's nothing like them, and since Rust characters are merely 2D cardboard avatars, race/gender are the only relatable factors.

Quite frankly, this feature seems poorly thought out and counterproductive to Garry Newman's purpose. Most people have accepted their IRL race/gender and apply that inherited identity to every game they can; white males tend to customize white male characters and vice versa for black women, for example. He's right that you don't get to pick your race/gender at birth, which is why it's asinine that he's letting (forcing) players to reroll the dice. Characters are our avatars; they're extensions of our physical selves and as such, we should we given the choice to maintain consistency between the two.

Artistic integrity only matters when all your characters are straight white cis men or busty Asian beauties!

Ms.Galaxy

this is pretty much what i mean:

people change their sex all the time in real life so i don't really see why i can't just choose what gender I want to play as if both options are provided.

See, that's more sensible. It's not so controversial as you think. However, gender is still not a choice, sex characteristic could be a choice.

That said, however, Rust seems to take place in a post-apocalyptic world and everyone starts off naked with almost nothing. Where the hell are these people going to find the necessary hormones and surgeons to change their sex? I mean, if they can find a way to incorporate it into the game, I'm all for it.

alexbull_uk

An interesting idea. I think it's pretty cool.

I played earlier and got swapped from a black male to a white female character.

I sympathize for these people that bought this in early access with the expectation of playing as a character that they can relate to. Many people find it disengaging and hard to invest into a character that's nothing like them, and since Rust characters are merely 2D cardboard avatars, race/gender are the only relatable factors.

Quite frankly, this feature seems poorly thought out and counterproductive to Garry Newman's purpose. Most people have accepted their IRL race/gender and apply that inherited identity to every game they can; white males tend to customize white male characters and vice versa for black women, for example. He's right that you don't get to pick your race/gender at birth, which is why it's asinine that he's letting (forcing) players to reroll the dice. Characters are our avatars; they're extensions of our physical selves and as such, we should we given the choice to maintain consistency between the two.

I know this sounds sneaky, but was the game ever explicitly said to allow the player to customize before the shift to your Steam ID doing the job was made?

And even if it was, this game is Early Access, IE not technically finished. This can be seen as just anorher bit of the leeway you get with a title that's technically still in development.

Ultimately, the survival game genre has other games, and the vast majority of them allow for character customization. I don't think its a big issue for there to be one game that chooses to randomize your attributes instead. Nowdays at least, this aspect of the game is very public, so people who buys into it now and gets disappointed at their new virtual look really have themselves to blame.

See, that's more sensible. It's not so controversial as you think. However, gender is still not a choice, secondary sex characteristic could be a choice.

That said, however, Rust seems to take place in a post-apocalyptic world and everyone starts off naked with almost nothing. Where the hell are these people going to find the necessary hormones and surgeons to change their sex? I mean, if they can find a way to incorporate it into the game, I'm all for it.
Sure. Someone with a female character model in Rust can get a sex change after they manage to collect a shit ton of resources. Their model will be changed into a man with scars on his chest and a penis that isn't 100%. They'll also need to take hormones regularly or else they'll incur a debuff or something. Easy-peazy, just like real life.

I dunno, I think the randomization is pretty cool. Interesting how people are OK playing a preassigned model as long as everyone gets the same generic dude, but randomize some features to get some variety and suddenly it's a huge deal, even though you have exactly as much say over your appearance as you did at the start.

Compsiox

Banned
This is probably the most in-depth survival crafting MMO game out right now and it's freaking amazing. I laugh at those who let this stop them from playing. Absolutely incredible game.

I've been around since the Alpha of Legacy.

Aselith

Man, I reinstalled this to try to play it again and my god is it terrible. They added all this scrub brush all over the ground and you can't see the fucking resources you're supposed to gather through it. I had to set all the terrain settings to low so I could see the stuff 0.o What a game.

I don't remember it being like that the other time I tried it but it's really...not fun. I had exactly the same issue with ARK. Guess I stick with Subnautica for my survival fix.

Compsiox

Banned
Man, I reinstalled this to try to play it again and my god is it terrible. They added all this scrub brush all over the ground and you can't see the fucking resources you're supposed to gather through it. I had to set all the terrain settings to low so I could see the stuff 0.o What a game.

I don't remember it being like that the other time I tried it but it's really...not fun. I had exactly the same issue with ARK. Guess I stick with Subnautica for my survival fix.

Maps are randomly generated. At least give some other servers a try.

See, that's more sensible. It's not so controversial as you think. However, gender is still not a choice, sex characteristic could be a choice.

yea thats a pretty good argument i guess, can't really think of a counter if you look at it that way.

I don't even game on PC so will never play the game, but I find this incredibly stupid.

Yeah lets all laugh at the white guys having to play as black men or women and rage about it. Meanwhile someone who is black or a woman maybe gets stuck playing a white dude yet again. That steam thread has enough comments stating as much.

Don't see why the devs go to the effort of creating so many character types just to not let users pick what they want.

I can't believe people actually care this much about the gender of their character.

Does this mean they all refuse to play games like Tomb Raider?

Playing as a girl being a turn-off isn't a new phenomenon and it's more widespread than you think, which ends up creating a feedback loop when big publishers refuse to greenlight games with a female protagonist.

Over two years in early access and nowhere near finished and this is what people get upset about? Amazing.

That's hardly fair, Rust entered early access really early on in development, and about 8 months in, they scrapped all the work and started over in Unity with new assets and everything. Taking that into consideration, two years really isn't that long, AAA developers can barely push out a game in two years with considerably more people working on it.

Its almost as if nobody has ever heard the phrase "walk a mile in another person's shoes." Honestly I can't even play this game atm but I want to buy a copy just to support what Facepunch is doing. I love everything that is happening here 200%.

As hilarious as it is for white straight male racists to have to play black females, I also like the idea of women or men of different races having to play characters that are completely unlike them. That's the whole point! Its complete and utter equality enforced by the system. No discrimination whatsoever! Its perfect!

jdstorm

Banned
Its almost as if nobody has ever heard the phrase "walk a mile in another person's shoes." Honestly I can't even play this game atm but I want to buy a copy just to support what Facepunch is doing. I love everything that is happening here 200%.

As hilarious as it is for white straight male racists to have to play black females, I also like the idea of women or men of different races having to play characters that are completely unlike them. That's the whole point! Its complete and utter equality enforced by the system. No discrimination whatsoever! Its perfect!

THIS

I don't even game on PC so will never play the game, but I find this incredibly stupid.

Yeah lets all laugh at the white guys having to play as black men or women and rage about it. Meanwhile someone who is black or a woman maybe gets stuck playing a white dude yet again. That steam thread has enough comments stating as much.

Don't see why the devs go to the effort of creating so many character types just to not let users pick what they want.

It's a roll of the dice though, like in life, you don't get a choice and that's precisely what they're going for.

Storm360

Now, i'll preface this by saying I haven't played Rust at all, but I find the fact this is all automatic to be a bit offputting, in a multiplayer sandbox game like this (or any game where a character creator is available) I like to try and create myself. I have no problem if it's a pre set character, but when customization is a option, I like to make myself.

Either way, Rust doesn't really appeal to me too much, so I doubt i'll ever be "affected" as such.

Top Bottom